Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Energy in, energy out. It's as simple as that.
    Take in less energy than you use throughout the day, you will lose weight.
    It's really not as simple as that. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 170ish, so essentially normal weight. Roommate is 5'9" and weighs about 190. We're both cooks, we eat the same things every day (actually she eats less than me), and are both on our feet in hot environments for (often) 10-12 hours at a time.

Explain, please.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Not always. Sometimes your body simply can't process things right, which results in issues that prevent putting on weight. Source: me.
    I used one of the examples from the video. Others included not being able to physically consume the amount of food required and the oriental bloke put on muscle mass instead of fat, even though he didn't exercise, which I didn't know was even possible - eating a cream cake is one hell of an easy workout.

15+ Year Old Account
    What a horrible problem, those poor poor skinny people

Pleeeeaaaase, give me a break. What are we going to feel bad for next? Rich people, those poor poor rich people. Or the beautiful maybe? Life is so hard
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I used one of the examples from the video. Others included not being able to physically consume the amount of food required and the oriental bloke put on muscle mass instead of fat, even though he didn't exercise, which I didn't know was even possible - eating a cream cake is one hell of an easy workout.
    for a few of those. I can eat 2000kcal a day, but it somehow only builds muscle mass in my calves and forearms. Weird shit. For the most part, though, I just stay really lean. Whatever doesn't build muscle tends to, uh, go out the other end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    Guess what? The b12 you get from meat is because the animals themselves were injected/supplemented with b12. Indirectly you are using a "supplement".
    By that reasoning, everything you eat in a vegan diet is a supplement, because the plants had to get their nutrients from somewhere else.

I find it funny that if a meat eater is deficient in something or completely fucking unhealthy, no one questions that diet. If a vegan is deficient, they start calling the whole diet a fad. Hypocrisy much? Any diet can be deficient if you don't do it correctly.
    If anyone is deficient in something, then you do question their diet, regardless of whether they eat meat or not. I have no idea why you would think the diet of meat eaters is somehow immune to criticism or analysis.

There is a huge difference, lack of sources for vitamin B12 is a problem for all vegans, now name a vitamin deficiency that is a problem for all meat eaters...good luck with that.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    What a horrible problem, those poor poor skinny people

Pleeeeaaaase, give me a break. What are we going to feel bad for next? Rich people, those poor poor rich people. Or the beautiful maybe? Life is so hard
    You say this from a position of ignorance. I've had plenty of health problems due to not being able to gain weight. Health isn't a "be under this" scale, it's a "be between these two" scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Still dont get it. Rex i asked those because the answers i got show exactly why people won't try to understand things. Then how you now instantly go aggressive when shown that the majority of people would rather attack instead of learn or help is why people dont change.

This is exactly all the point and answers everything. People dont want to admit they can possible be wrong becaue they rather just everyone accept their ideas even when shown real time evidence. But its fine i dont care just dont call an apple an orange when its clearly an apple.
    You've already admitted yourself you were trolling.

I asked why to see what people would respond with it.
    The only 2 people you praise for answering your "serious question", gave you an actual answer to your question (which has nothing to do with the topic and as such should/would be considered derailing) and an answer about evil space unicorns (while intended to be funny adds nothing to the conversation).

I see what you are/were doing. The OP didn't ask the albeit obvious question. It's the title of the documentary. Your response is an attempt to ironic, funny, and ask an equally ridiculous question. Intended or not it trivializes the topic.

You're being obnoxious and trying to start a fight where there isn't one. If you wanted to actually have a conversation you would have posted as such. Instead you have tried to make a spectacle by creating some wackadoo social experiment to show how people are stuck in their preconceived ideas and any sort of debate is pointless.

I'll make a deal with you, I won't call an apple an orange, if you don't insult me by trying to convince me that your shit posting isn't trolling.

15+ Year Old Account
    You say this from a position of ignorance. I've had plenty of health problems due to not being able to gain weight. Health isn't a "be under this" scale, it's a "be between these two" scale.
    It was really more of a joke.
    Sorry about your health issues. Spend some time with me and I will fatten you right up . I was super skinny until my late 20's. Was 140 lbs at 6' tall at 18 when I graduated. I now weigh 230 lbs, I eat alot and grill on a regular basis...I pretty much eat only junkfood and meat (who wants to live forever? j/k). It is time I take advantage of how easy bulking up is now for me and start working out again. I should really be about 190 with my build.
    I found when I was putting on muscle in my early 20's that protein and not calories was key. I remember my buddy gained 30lbs one summer for football working out all the time and eating massive amounts of hashbrowns of all things. He was always eating those damn hashbrowns.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

10+ Year Old Account
    for a few of those. I can eat 2000kcal a day, but it somehow only builds muscle mass in my calves and forearms. Weird shit. For the most part, though, I just stay really lean. Whatever doesn't build muscle tends to, uh, go out the other end.
    Could it be the type of exercise you favour? I mainly swim and have done since before I can remember, so my muscle tends to build up far faster in my triceps, chest, shoulders and back than anywhere else, to the point that I have girly calves and forearms (though somewhat hairier than most girls).

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Could it be the type of exercise you favour? I mainly swim and have done since before I can remember, so my muscle tends to build up far faster in my triceps, chest, shoulders and back than anywhere else, to the point that I have girly calves and forearms (though somewhat hairier than most girls).
    It's a digestion problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Documentary says that 80% of the population has a genetic predisposition towards weight gain, so I guess we're killing off 80% off the population then.
    Well, that's not killing them off. Nobody died from not being allowed to breed. Just giving superior privileges to the more ideal 20%.

Either that or genetic manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    You've already admitted yourself you were trolling.

The only 2 people you praise for answering your "serious question", gave you an actual answer to your question (which has nothing to do with the topic and as such should/would be considered derailing) and an answer about evil space unicorns (while intended to be funny adds nothing to the conversation).

I see what you are/were doing. The OP didn't ask the albeit obvious question. It's the title of the documentary. Your response is an attempt to ironic, funny, and ask an equally ridiculous question. Intended or not it trivializes the topic.

You're being obnoxious and trying to start a fight where there isn't one. If you wanted to actually have a conversation you would have posted as such. Instead you have tried to make a spectacle by creating some wackadoo social experiment to show how people are stuck in their preconceived ideas and any sort of debate is pointless.

I'll make a deal with you, I won't call an apple an orange, if you don't insult me by trying to convince me that your shit posting isn't trolling.
    Not trying to start anything you opened yourself up to criticism with the whole tom foolery reply of yours to my reply.

Never said i was trolling annnnd Only serious question i asked was to you for your opinion on why the medical industry cured polio and see if you give some conspiracy theory answer to that.

So instead of just saying you didnt get it no harm no fowl youre now just going on and on proving exactly what i said and im not trying to insult anything but hey ill take that deal if you admit you didnt get it and are now just all huffy puffy. But either way i'll restate again "I asked why to see what people would respond with it. Only ONE person that quoted me outta 4 'btw wasnt you' actually bothered to explain things and try to educate people. When 2/4 responses from people is to istantly go snarky and bitchy THAT is the exact reason why its hard to change anything in any country on this planet. People rather jump to conclusions now a days instead of ask why and give answers. "

People rather bitch and moan instead of cooperate and help. If you want to still honestly say you werent bitching and moaning over my reply fine theres no point to aruging with you anymore. I've learned that people are stubborn are there is no point to trying to change them for the better. Just dont instantly go off and insult people because you dont understand things.

And yeah man you did try/did insult me with your self righteousness because you didnt understand. Be an adult ask,explain,listen. Dont just bitch.

But to end this now. People are fat because they eat too much. People are fat because they eat too little. People are fat because they eat too much and dont exercise. People fat people they eat too little and dont excercise. People are fat Because of an insane amount of reasons but the one i want you to understand now and please re read if you have too because im not coming back to this Your comment "
    There are plenty of counter studies that refute these findings. Funded by the meat and dairy industry. You have to consider the source, the funding, and the motive/agenda.

What motive does a doctor/vegan have in promoting a plant-based diet?

What motive might the meat and dairy industry have in keeping people eating their products? '

Is a straight up one sided conspiracy theory with no room for anyone to try and tell you other wise. You didn't come into this thread with anyother motive than to say vegans are great meat is bad. But hey vegans can be fat and normal 'omnivore' humans can be fat. Vegans can be skinny and so can normal humans. So if normal ones are skinny that kinda destroys your theory about big bad 'meat and dairy industry'

"Food" for thought.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Not trying to start anything you opened yourself up to criticism with the whole tom foolery reply of yours to my reply.

Never said i was trolling annnnd Only serious question i asked was to you for your opinion on why the medical industry cured polio and see if you give some conspiracy theory answer to that.

So instead of just saying you didnt get it no harm no fowl youre now just going on and on proving exactly what i said and im not trying to insult anything but hey ill take that deal if you admit you didnt get it and are now just all huffy puffy. But either way i'll restate again "I asked why to see what people would respond with it. Only ONE person that quoted me outta 4 'btw wasnt you' actually bothered to explain things and try to educate people. When 2/4 responses from people is to istantly go snarky and bitchy THAT is the exact reason why its hard to change anything in any country on this planet. People rather jump to conclusions now a days instead of ask why and give answers. "

People rather bitch and moan instead of cooperate and help. If you want to still honestly say you werent bitching and moaning over my reply fine theres no point to aruging with you anymore. I've learned that people are stubborn are there is no point to trying to change them for the better. Just dont instantly go off and insult people because you dont understand things.

And yeah man you did try/did insult me with your self righteousness because you didnt understand. Be an adult ask,explain,listen. Dont just bitch.

But to end this now. People are fat because they eat too much. People are fat because they eat too little. People are fat because they eat too much and dont exercise. People fat people they eat too little and dont excercise. People are fat Because of an insane amount of reasons but the one i want you to understand now and please re read if you have too because im not coming back to this Your comment "
    There are plenty of counter studies that refute these findings. Funded by the meat and dairy industry. You have to consider the source, the funding, and the motive/agenda.

What motive does a doctor/vegan have in promoting a plant-based diet?

What motive might the meat and dairy industry have in keeping people eating their products? '

Is a straight up one sided conspiracy theory with no room for anyone to try and tell you other wise. You didn't come into this thread with anyother motive than to say vegans are great meat is bad. But hey vegans can be fat and normal 'omnivore' humans can be fat. Vegans can be skinny and so can normal humans. So if normal ones are skinny that kinda destroys your theory about big bad 'meat and dairy industry'

"Food" for thought.
    You're still here... tsk tsk. Shame on the moderators, shame on you!

Wall of text, and you barely get to contributing to the thread until the last paragraph if you consider being misleading, hyperbolic, and condescending "contributing".

I am sorry that my "self-righteous" response to your shitposting insulted you. But if you KNEW people would respond that way I am not sure why you would be offended, vindicated maybe, self-righteous yourself? But, to post something you knew would incite a specific negative response that would completely detract from the subject of the thread is the definition of trolling. So once again thanks for the admission of guilt.

In response to your "contribution" find me a "fat vegan". Do it. Not someone who has recently made a lifestyle change, I am talking about a faithful, practicing vegan. You said they exist and now the burden is on you to prove it.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2016-10-12 at 10:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    There is an actual scientist in the actual video who says that.
    While some people may get fat "easier", the caloric intake is still what counts. If they want to lose weight, they need to eat less and/or do more physical excercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You're wrong and you clearly didn't watch the video.
    Best counterpoint I've heard all day. Look at all that science and knowledge you used to prove me wrong.

Oh, you're a mod, that explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's really not as simple as that. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 170ish, so essentially normal weight. Roommate is 5'9" and weighs about 190. We're both cooks, we eat the same things every day (actually she eats less than me), and are both on our feet in hot environments for (often) 10-12 hours at a time.

Explain, please.
    Two different bodies use energy differently. Hard concept, I know. But you aren't the same as each other or you'd be twins.

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    Just watch the calorie myth video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ewexMZ1-o
    I watched the video once I got home....the guy makes some good points in the beginning of the video, but at the same time contradicts himself at certain points. Example: in the middle of the video he claims that he trained women who were working out 1-2 hours a day and eating 1200 calories a day, yet couldn't lose weight, and says he 100% believes them (tying his argument into set point theory), then later in the video claims that an individual WILL lose weight if they eat 1000 calories a day and work out two hours a day. So which is it?

I've met women like the ones he described at the beginning of the vid, it's one of the reasons why I believe that the set point theory is accurate. Whether these women's metabolisms slow down or their hunger hormones rise to cancel out the caloric deficit is shrug. Could be a variety of factors. But I think that it is one of the reasons why weight gain or loss is hard for some people.

Also checked out the dude's diet plan on his website and it's basically the Paleo/LCHF diet. Not sure why every person on the planet keeps trying to come out with a new and unusual way of eating that basically a ripoff of someone else's diet plan. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I swear candies were made by satan. Tastes so good, but has such ridiculous calories D:
    candy tastes awful. i hate most candy. same with chocolate.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Don't eat too many calories. Yay it's solved.

but what about this this and that?
    Doesn't matter. I don't care which study showed a group of people losing an extra pound by eating goat milk ice cream on every second sunday during the summer months. Fat people are fat because they eat too many calories. All the other stuff is just on the fringe and has minimal impact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    Best counterpoint I've heard all day. Look at all that science and knowledge you used to prove me wrong.

Oh, you're a mod, that explains a lot.
    I was busy at work.

The FTO gene is one genetic predisposition to being obese. It's not the only one. Studies of the Biggest Loser participants show that their metabolisms purposely slow down in order to maintain their body as the "preferred" obese state rather than adjusting to what they are. Different people have different levels of appetite suppression hormones that can affect how they eat.

Yes, it's possible to lose or gain weight but it is very difficult to make a true change. Your body will inherently resist significant change no matter how much you want it. The people that pack on a lot of muscle make it look easy but it is very, very difficult to effect that kind of change. Same with losing the weight. At first, yeah, you can drop 20, 30, 50 pounds but that doesn't last long before the body turns around and makes it up.