Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post

Why would you ever get to fly to level alts? The only expansion that was a thing on release was Cata.. a poorly received expansion.
    I left WoD when they first said no lfying at all, then added the whole Pathfinder in it to delay it until ALL content was irrelevant. I had only leveled 2 of my 11 alts to 100. A little over a year later, I came back, earned flying on my main and level 20 MORE alts (TWENTY!) to 100. All of them had flying in Dreanor from the start of their leveling experience.

The point is.. If I could fly, right now, I'd be leveling my alts and staying in game. I'd be doing the WQs.

Instead I'm out. I again have only leveled 2 toons to max level, and find that not beling able to fly had killed my desire to play. And with the way Legion has killed any feeling of "competition"... there may very well be no reason to ever come back to game.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-10-13 at 04:14 PM.

Patch 6.2.2 PTR notes
    Updated: August 25, 2015

Flying on Draenor

Flying has been enabled on Draenor for characters that have attained the account-wide achievement, Draenor Pathfinder. To help facilitate testing of this feature, accounts that have not yet obtained the achievement will be able to purchase a Manual of Rapid Pathfinding from Flaskataur in their Garrisons on the PTR.
    Please note there may still be areas or pockets on Draenor where flying has not yet been fully implemented. These areas will be tracked and listed in a forum thread titled "Flight in Draenor – Reported Bugs Thread" on the PTR Discussion forum.

If fyling was a switch, then Blizz wouldn't need the playerbase to extensively and specifically test it. And 6.2.2 which was SOLELY a flying patch, took them 5, FIVE months to push out.

I love how only a few people bring quotes (blue posts, ptr notes, tweets) directly from the devs, and some other people are just talking out of their ass, yet these people call out the quoters for talking nonsense.
    Last edited by Lei; 2016-10-13 at 04:25 PM. Reason: patch note number

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Patch 6.2.2 PRT notes

Flying on Draenor

Flying has been enabled on Draenor for characters that have attained the account-wide achievement, Draenor Pathfinder. To help facilitate testing of this feature, accounts that have not yet obtained the achievement will be able to purchase a Manual of Rapid Pathfinding from Flaskataur in their Garrisons on the PTR.
    Please note there may still be areas or pockets on Draenor where flying has not yet been fully implemented. These areas will be tracked and listed in a forum thread titled "Flight in Draenor – Reported Bugs Thread" on the PTR Discussion forum.

If fyling was a switch, then Blizz wouldn't need the playerbase to extensively and specifically test it. And 6.2.2 which was SOLELY a flying patch, took them 5, FIVE months to push out.

I love how only a few people bring quotes (blue posts, ptr notes, tweets) directly from the devs, and some other people are just talking out of their ass, yet these people call out the quoters for talking nonsense.
    In fairness they had it completed in two months of testing but Merc mode testing slowed down the launch of the patch by another month or two. But yes all systems whether large or small need testing..even flying or merc mode for PVP.

Blizzard can do as much internal testing they want but they need to also test it out in public to ensure they didn't miss anything. But there is always something and when you have a large player base like WoW testing things on the PTR it is a lot easier.

PTR also doesn't require sub to be able to participate, so again Blizzard has many willing players to help them test things out. However, Blizzard recently isn't receptive of player feedback and it has caused friction. Flying issue feedback is the cherry on top of what is wrong with the channels between devs and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    I've just learned to accept that nothing I say, or do, will change Blizzard's mind.
    I was once of that mindset, until I saw how the entire pro-flight situation caused Blizzard to withdraw their decision to remove flight entirely from WoD. There are official blue posts on the matter, and it's proof that they are listening. It's just a matter of finding the most effective way to communicate wants and needs outside of scathing criticism.

There are many things we can do to inform and provide feedback to Blizzard, especially on issues someone doesn't agree with. Unsubbing with intent is definitely one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

The whistle makes me miss flying less, it's amazing. I run in a straight line through all aggro to the boss I have to kill, I aoe anything still chasing down with a few squirts of aoe green fire, kill the boss, use the whistle, return to flight point, pick my next WQ locations, go on flight point and go take a piss or make a coffee, run straigh to the WQ regardless of aggro, aoe everything down, complete quest, whistle, flight point while alt tabbing to facebook or mmo champion, run to quest ect.

I am getting more done faster than with flight and interacting with the game terrain even less while spending more time bashing Trump in MMOchamp off topic forum while waiting for flight point to end.

Do less, interact less with the game and do it faster? Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I left WoD when they first said no lfying at all, then added the whole Pathfinder in it to delay it until ALL content was irrelevant. I had only leveled 2 of my 11 alts to 100. A little over a year later, I came back, earned flying on my main and level 20 MORE alts (TWENTY!) to 100. All of them had flying in Dreanor from the start of their leveling experience.

The point is.. If I could fly, right now, I'd be leveling my alts and staying in game. I'd be doing the WQs.

Instead I'm out. I again have only leveled 2 toons to max level, and find that not beling able to fly had killed my desire to play. And with the way Legion has killed any feeling of "competition"... there may very well be no reason to ever come back to game.
    Again.. You were never going to level your alts while flying 2 months after an expansion release. Your grievances are irrational and irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    So why keep the dog away when most of the customers had their fill of cake? The cake quality remains as is, and people who only care about the cakes enjoy them as is. There is no reduced value in the cakes that make it any less enjoyable by the presence of the dog. The ones who are most encumbered by the dog are simply the bakers, as every other guest has the option of going to the same bakery without the dog present at their discretion.

When the guests are full, no one cares how much cake the dog eats except the baker.
    But if it doesn't add anything to a product that consumers enjoy, and hurts business for some, while others don't care one way or another, why have it there at all? Sure, it adds some atmosphere, and some people enjoy the dog around, but if the cake is the product people are meant to, and claim to, enjoy then what's it matter if the dog is around in the end? The product is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Blizzard argued with the removal of quest hubs they could do more with zone design. But zone design has been really poor in WoD and Legion as they copy and pasta GW system but managed to make it worse and it is not even an improvement from Guild wars.

If they are going to gate flying to make zones better one would think they would follow through with that directive...I guess not lol.
    Strongly disagree with a lot of what you say here. For starters I'm pretty sure that removing quest hubs (if that's how they phrased it) was more to do with storytelling in a zone, that's why so much of Cata was so linear. Post-Cata they experimented with having a linear plot with little side-hubs, personally I felt it peaked with WoD but I keep finding new mini-hubs whilst doing world-quests so I do like how Legion didn't breadcrumb every little thing.

So why keep the dog away when most of the customers had their fill of cake? The cake quality remains as is, and people who only care about the cakes enjoy them as is. There is no reduced value in the cakes that make it any less enjoyable by the presence of the dog. The ones who are most encumbered by the dog are simply the bakers, as every other guest has the option of going to the same bakery without the dog present at their discretion.

When the guests are full, no one cares how much cake the dog eats except the baker.
    So here's where the analogy gets really tortured. In order to have a satisfying bakery experience customers have to have a certain amount of cake consumed. For customers who don't mind having a dog getting in their face whilst they eat this isn't a problem as the dog will consume a lot of their cakes. For people who prefer to eat without dogs they'll have to consume a lot more to get the same satisfaction.

That's why Blizzard have decided to level the... eating... field and provide an experience focussed on people who's primary focus is cakes and leave dog experiences primarily to pet stores and petting zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post

You don't have to justify why you are leaving on your terms and what you value especially when it comes to flight. I understand 100%, because a product we pay for is all of sudden being narrowed into a tiny focus of completion that is deemed the only viable way and that isn't fun. That is why tying the legion patchfinder achievement to raid completion is a big strike one for me. Legion patchfinder part 2 and 3? If they are more of the same are strikes 2 and 3 respectively for me personally.

If they continue this path and cross over the Rubicon its game over for many players that loved flight in WoW IMVHO. Maybe that is a bit of hyperbole on my part, but is rings true as it stirs in the hearts of people that are passionate about flight in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Patch 6.2.2 PTR notes

Flying on Draenor

Actually if you look at the links, there's a lot more on this patch than just adding flying... also just because this was released 5 months after 6.0 doesn't mean it took them 5 months to make that patch, but that's not the point ^^ (I can bet that mercenary mode was a lot harder to make than enabling flying)

The thing is: you can't compare Draenor and the Broken Isles. When they designed the Broken Isles, they already had in their mind, that the players could day fly there later, that's why they have designed it properly and thus it will be very easy for them to just add flying.

Draenor on the other hand had quite a few quests which were too easy when you could fly, it had a lot of invisible walls, unfinished zones, small world border, big blank zone on the world border, non-solid Buildings, Floating trees etc... None of this issues exist on the Broken Isles. You can climb Up on the top of Highmountain and glide anywhere you want. In Draenor you couldn't just climb the biggest mountain (above Zangara), because you would see the messy parts of the continent, especially tanaan jungle pre 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    But if it doesn't add anything to a product that consumers enjoy, and hurts business for some, while others don't care one way or another, why have it there at all? Sure, it adds some atmosphere, and some people enjoy the dog around, but if the cake is the product people are meant to, and claim to, enjoy then what's it matter if the dog is around in the end? The product is still the same.
    Except it's been proven wrong.

Blizzard took the dog away, gave their explanation and thought that was the end of discussion. Backlash was what brought the dog back. Blizzard didn't realize how much people loved the dog. And while the product is the same, the experience is not. This is why people are asking for Vanilla cakes just the same.

Just saying that the dog doesn't add much to the bakery doesn't make it true. There's a reason it's coming back, and it's not just because of Blizzard's whims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    So here's where the analogy gets really tortured. In order to have a satisfying bakery experience customers have to have a certain amount of cake consumed. For customers who don't mind having a dog getting in their face whilst they eat this isn't a problem as the dog will consume a lot of their cakes. For people who prefer to eat without dogs they'll have to consume a lot more to get the same satisfaction.

That's why Blizzard have decided to level the... eating... field and provide an experience focussed on people who's primary focus is cakes and leave dog experiences primarily to pet stores and petting zoo.
    Which has always been the case for the period of time when the cake is enjoyed the most. As per flight being available at end-game, the dog only comes out after the guests have consumed most of their meal. There has only been one time when flight was available during leveling (Cata) and we can all agree that flight should be left for end-game, not leveling content. As for guests who would need to consume more; this is already a fallacy considering how gated everything is. Blizzard limits the amount of cakes per day any guest can consume. This has always been the case.

This isn't a case of flight needing to be available immediately and all the time. We already know flight is coming back. I simply believe it's arbitrary whether that happens now or later; it affects the players little. Keep in mind how the business model works too - Blizzard doesn't actually make money off the cakes, they make money off guests staying at the bakery longer to buy coffee and drinks. The cakes are simply the reason people come to the bakery.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2016-10-13 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Again.. You were never going to level your alts while flying 2 months after an expansion release. Your grievances are irrational and irrelevant.
    I never said I "was" going to fly on ALTS 2 months after release... I said I have stopped playing because I do not like playing the game without flying. What I said was if flying was in game NOW... I would stay and level alts and continue to do WQs on the 100's.

I don't have any grievances... Blizzard fucked up the game and I don't care to play it anymore. I fully respect their ability to do whatever they want with the game, even if it is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The whistle makes me miss flying less, it's amazing. I run in a straight line through all aggro to the boss I have to kill, I aoe anything still chasing down with a few squirts of aoe green fire, kill the boss, use the whistle, return to flight point, pick my next WQ locations, go on flight point and go take a piss or make a coffee, run straigh to the WQ regardless of aggro, aoe everything down, complete quest, whistle, flight point while alt tabbing to facebook or mmo champion, run to quest ect.

I am getting more done faster than with flight and interacting with the game terrain even less while spending more time bashing Trump in MMOchamp off topic forum while waiting for flight point to end.

Do less, interact less with the game and do it faster? Sign me up!
    As interesting as that sounds I can't budge with any enthusiasm from it. Because that isn't any different from WoD utilizing Avianna's feather + GS hearthsone + ogre waystones.

And it is sad to see the world of warcraft reduced to what you described. At least you are still enjoying the game? I guess that is the silver lining for you personally, but it also highlights that we have seen a downgrade from WoD----> Legion, because WoD which did not have excessive CRZ like Legion does still allowed you to interact with people from your own server.

That was one of the big anti flying arguments at the time which has evaporated with Legion's CRZ and with the introduction of the flight whistle as well. Poof...seeing people phase in and out and disappear with flight whistle as if they were figments of imagination.

That is what makes it immersion breaking to me when examining Legion's no flying paradigm.

Blizzard took the dog away, gave their explanation and thought that was the end of discussion. Backlash was what brought the dog back. Blizzard didn't realize how much people loved the dog. And while the product is the same, the experience is not. This is why people are asking for Vanilla cakes just the same.

Just saying that the dog doesn't add much to the bakery doesn't make it true. There's a reason it's coming back, and it's not just because of Blizzard's whims.
    This analogy just keeps going....hahahaha!

Lets not forget that even people who say they're fine without the dog....love the dog when it's brought back.

- - - Updated - - -

Which has always been the case for the period of time when the cake is enjoyed the most. As per flight being available at end-game, the dog only comes out after the guests have consumed most of their meal. There has only been one time when flight was available during leveling (Cata) and we can all agree that flight should be left for end-game, not leveling content. As for guests who would need to consume more; this is already a fallacy considering how gated everything is. Blizzard limits the amount of cakes per day any guest can consume. This has always been the case.

This isn't a case of flight needing to be available immediately and all the time. We already know flight is coming back. I simply believe it's arbitrary whether that happens now or later; it affects the players little. Keep in mind how the business model works too - Blizzard doesn't actually make money off the cakes, they make money off guests staying at the bakery longer to buy coffee and drinks. The cakes are simply the reason people come to the bakery.
    All Blizzard realized was the abrupt way in which it was handled, as well as not being revealed thru official means, was too much for players to handle. So they compromised. As much as people want to talk about Blizzard backtracking let's not overlook they still attached requirements to be met to earn it. They still require people to play the game, and at the end of the day there was an official release where not everyone even earned flight by the end of WoD. Next xpac, players are still required to play the game to get flight. Blizzard, in the end, found a compromise to the problem at hand; and, there's still the chance that it will be phased out over time, or left in the way it is now. Even the most adamant posters in this thread have stated they will return when flight is available.
    As far as affecting players, it absolutely affects them. If flight was enabled today, we'd be right back at where we were that caused this, the trivialization of content and the devaluing of the devs time for the world they've created.

All Blizzard realized was the abrupt way in which it was handled, as well as not being revealed thru official means, was too much for players to handle. So they compromised. As much as people want to talk about Blizzard backtracking let's not overlook they still attached requirements to be met to earn it. They still require people to play the game, and at the end of the day there was an official release where not everyone even earned flight by the end of WoD. Next xpac, players are still required to play the game to get flight. Blizzard, in the end, found a compromise to the problem at hand; and, there's still the chance that it will be phased out over time, or left in the way it is now. Even the most adamant posters in this thread have stated they will return when flight is available.
    As far as affecting players, it absolutely affects them. If flight was enabled today, we'd be right back at where we were that caused this, the trivialization of content and the devaluing of the devs time for the world they've created.
    Nothing wrong with earning the right to have it. A reward that needs to be unlocked is absolutely fine, IMO. My issue is the time gating, which serves little purpose. I'm at the thought that we should have flight available (albeit locked behind achievements) to us at max level. People still consume leveling content at the pace that Blizzard desires, and the end-game is accessible at each person's pace. Casuals will continue at their slow leveling pace while power gamers like me are free to consume the content as quickly as possible. Overall content is still controlled by daily limits; there is no difference in which week/day people will reach exalted with a faction with or without flight. As for future patch content that Blizzard wants to pace; Molten Front, Timeless Isles and Tanaan Jungle are prime examples of how to do that.

And as for trivializing content - how is that any different than how previous expansions were treated? Why was that not an issue in Wrath? Why is that suddenly an issue here and now? Subs didn't drop because world content was being trivialized. The ones who care most about this is Blizzard, because they're the ones who have to pace and offer content. Just because there are people who are fine with the change (ie those who didn't bother getting flight in Draenor) doesn't mean that the feature should be phased out. If that's really what Blizzard wants to do, I think this makes threads like this even more important - this coming from a player who doesn't care that much about flight but still appreciates having it.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2016-10-13 at 08:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I am not willing to hand over money for an expansion and sub so I have the delight of waiting for them to open flight "mid expansion" and even then that might take another month to unlock. Bllizzard has to face reality of a subscription MMORPG like WoW where they can't over do time gating or else it makes the choice easy for me and many other players to fly away to another MMO.

I can go to a free 2 play or buy 2 play MMO and have flying on tap without any stringing along and minimal time and money investment on my end. Does Blizzard arrogantly believe gating flying will make me want it more when it is finally available? I know one person that said even with flying back in WoD they were not returning. I did not understand that person's position at the time as flying was returned as a compromise was reached in WoD with pathfinder. Shouldn't that satisfy their demands? That person confided in me that it was not flying in WoD that concerned them but how they would handle it in the future. It seems that person's sage advice has come to fruition thus far and they are being proven right as each month passes on by in Legion. I started to shift toward that person's position when they announced Legion patchfinder would be split up with only part 1 available. The opportunity costs of waiting for WoW to put in flying simply is becoming punitive versus having on tap flying in other MMOs for a fraction of the cost as a consumer. I am literally paying less money currently and having just as much flying around in other MMO than WoW. Blizzard should be bending over backwards to have me return but instead they are dragging their feet (again) which is very similar to WoD. In before someone tells me that Legion will be different lol.

In truth if they start spamming my email box with come back to WoW I will simply make a phone call to tell them to stop spamming my email inbox till flying is concretely in the game and even then it has to be under reasonable terms that favors the players not Blizzard devs.
    I understand what you are saying. Bringing flight back to WoD didn't make me come back to Wod either. So you can count me in on the side that didn't come back to WoW after they had to revered their "final decision". I am not sure that i will buy Legion when flight will finally be reachable in game either. Maybe if it's in and requirements are lowered (less timegated, lower rep requirements etc) i will pick up Legion for five bucks and play a month or to with my old friends (if they are there). But maybe that won't happen and i will get Legion when they incorporate it into the basegame when the next expac hits or is about to hit the shelves.

But hey.... it is just a game. So if i drop it for good there is nothing stopping me ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Bringing flight back to WoD didn't make me come back to Wod either. So you can count me in on the side that didn't come back to WoW after they had to revered their "final decision". I am not sure that i will buy Legion when flight will finally be reachable in game either. Maybe if it's in and requirements are lowered (less timegated, lower rep requirements etc) i will pick up Legion for five bucks and play a month or to with my old friends (if they are there). But maybe that won't happen and i will get Legion when they incorporate it into the basegame when the next expac hits or is about to hit the shelves.

But hey.... it is just a game. So if i drop it for good there is nothing stopping me ;-)
    At the time I thought the person was cutting of their nose to spite their face, but in truth the person was being genuine. I have slowly moved to that person's position now and I am also starting to gravitate to a position you have taken as well as it is the only logical choice for me in the near future it looks like IMVHO.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749866107

This threads shows the lack of communication on even Legion patchfinder part 1 is already sowing seeds of distrust. I personally am glad I have washed my hands from this impending dumpster fire.

Legion and flight is going to be a hot topic in the coming months as reality sinks in for many of the "undecided" players.

"What would make you (me) leveling alts?"
    - Flying
    - Rep commandations, but only because how reputations and professions tied together. I don't give a fuck about reps on alts usually.
    Right now if I start leveling an alt, and I complete the reps to friendly to unlock WQs, I will stuck with reps. Maybe these rep commentations will never come, which is fine by me, but in the end I play less than I would which is not bad for me, it's bad for server activity and for Blizz.

[rant]What keeps me in the game at the very moment?
    - Waiting for the right pet battle tamers and fishing quests to pop up so I can finish the achieves. Maybe slowy advancing in reps with the daily 1500, because I am not doing any daily quests beyond that (did you know that some Pet tamers are locked behind Suramar quests? So I can't see those on my alt and she doesn't get a third Pet tamer that day). Who would have thought you will need a series of rng to get a simple pet battle achieve. Really off putting. Especially because 2 of the 3 tamers are usually the ones not in the achievement. Coincidence? Let alone the one fishing WQ maybe every 2-3 days, which is usually a repeat. Waiting for the Adventurer of Highmountain rares to pop up as WQs. Oh, they don't.

This is how the game looks for me atm.

Would I do more WQs with flying? Absolutely. But I usually look on the map - especially if it's Highmountain - and the rewards, and then I go NOPE.[/rant]
    Last edited by Lei; 2016-10-13 at 08:48 PM.

Why do you guys insist on continuing to call it a compromise? It's not. Blizzard gets everything they want out of the "compromise" and gives up nothing. All Blizzard is doing is holding flight hostage until people give into their demands. That's not a compromise.