Thread: WoW FPS

WoW FPS

Hey guys,

We've built the first gaming rig of my mate yesterday. His specs are 6600k and GTX 1070 on highest settings (SSAA 4x + CMAA), his frames are 40 FPS in Val'sharah's central village with several people around. In Val'Sharah wilds, it's around 60. So it's generally fluctuation between 40 and 60. The computer is on high performance setting, the clock speed is generally around 3.6 and 3.7. The utilization of CPU in game is around 50%.

He still doesn't have the monitor, so we were trying the rig on TV via HDMI. The TV's resolution is 1920x1080.

I do not have a similar machine so I couldn't be sure if these FPS are normal or not. What do you guys think? Something wrong or CPU is bottlenecking? For the record, we checked the thermals, there doesn't seem to be any thermal throttling.

ps: In some zones without much clutter on the ground, e.g., the iron enclave in High Mountain, the FPS hits to 100.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-10-08 at 11:20 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    We've built the first gaming rig of my mate yesterday. His specs are 6600k and GTX 1070 on highest settings (SSAA 4x + CMAA
    SSAA exceptionally demanding. The machine is currently trying to render the game at 4k resolution (That's what SSAA does: doubles the resolution) - and applying anti aliasing on top of that. This is excessive, and if you need a higher framerate - the first thing to turn down would be this.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2016-10-08 at 12:09 PM.

cpu bottleneck, 50% is what you can expect from wow at its limit.

4k cmaa should be fine with your card, I still suggest you use your normal resolution with 8xmsaa, your pc will run cooler and quieter and uses less power.

This is completely normal for WoW I would recommend you drop anti aliasing and drop shadow quality back if you really want to try to stay above 60fps. But sadly in WoW staying above 60 fps on ultra 100% of the time is nearly impossible due to the limitations of the WoW engine not properly utilizing multiple CPU cores.

overclock the unlocked cpu (or don't, whatever). see if environment detail at 7 helps (this increased my fps but a ridiculous amount.. whats up with that). and what everyone above says too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    This is completely normal for WoW I would recommend you drop anti aliasing and drop shadow quality back if you really want to try to stay above 60fps. But sadly in WoW staying above 60 fps on ultra 100% of the time is nearly impossible due to the limitations of the WoW engine not properly utilizing multiple CPU cores.
    This guy is right. Wow is not the best friend of your hardware

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    SSAA exceptionally demanding. The machine is currently trying to render the game at 4k resolution (That's what SSAA does: doubles the resolution) - and applying anti aliasing on top of that. This is excessive, and if you need a higher framerate - the first thing to turn down would be this.
    This is accurate (though SSAA actually quadruples the resolution by doubling both vertically and horizontally). I would suggest dropping down to 140% Render Scale (effectively rendering at 1440p before downscaling to 1080p for output), MSAAx4 or MSAAx8, and force enable MFAA in GeForce Control Panel. Overclocking the CPU would definitely help also. Without overclocking, you may want to take Render Scale back down to 100% and lower view distance and environmental detail to 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    It is NOT "not properly utilizing multiple cores"... the parts that are CPU limited literally CANNOT be multi-threaded. They MUST take place in order, serially, on a single thread. Each calculation is predicated off the results of the previous - you cant send half of them to another thread - because then they wont happen in order.

FFS, EVERY secure Client-server MMO has this issue.