Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How "famous" is Internet famous?

How "famous" is Internet famous? I mean I would kind of recognize Pewdiepie, but besides him if somebody had said, "I got 8 million subscribers on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter/Whatever." Is that really a big deal???? Discuss.

15+ Year Old Account
    8 million subscribers would mean they could be making a ton of money working on their hobby, so as a personal achievement I'd say it's quite a big deal.

I wouldn't consider them real-world famous though. Influential and with a large fan following absolutely - but unlikely to be recognized in the street given how the nature of the internet means those 8 million fans are scattered around the world.

Pewdiepie is about as famous as a B celebrity. It also depends on demographics. I would the odds of someone over 30 recognizing him in person are far slimmer than someone under say, 25.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only "Internet famous" person, widely recognised, is that Canadian brat, who makes teenage girls wet...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    The youtuber who makes most money makes 25 million $ a year and has 240 million views on some vids. I would say that is doing ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    How famous is "real" famous? If a musician who sold 20 million albums walks up to me would I know them?

Internet "famous" is pretty much the same. It's not how famous you are it's whether or not if you know them that matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say many are as famous as a lot of other famous people, not like superstar status like the biggest actors/musicians, but still known... Especially for anyone who regularly uses YouTube, even if you don't watch their channels, people know who Philip DeFranco is, PewDiePie, John Green, etc. are...
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2016-10-13 at 08:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    How famous is "real" famous? If a musician who sold 20 million albums walks up to me would I know them?

Internet "famous" is pretty much the same. It's not how famous you are it's whether or not if you know them that matters.
    In many cases its his name that is famous. Also if Ozzy Osbourne or Justin Bueber walked up to you on street you would recognize them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the difference with Youtubers is that people generally feel a connection to them and they are more relatable than traditional celebrities, so you don't have people freaking out as hard on the street.

Also, some celebrities become known just by word of mouth. I've never seen a Clint Eastwood movie but I still know who he is and what he looks like. Youtubers generally don't get that recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I wouldn't consider them real-world famous though. Influential and with a large fan following absolutely - but unlikely to be recognized in the street given how the nature of the internet means those 8 million fans are scattered around the world.
    That sounds like a sweet deal TBH. Pewdiepie won the game, just accept it.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Internet famous>Kardashian famous
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Lindsey Stirling has over 8 million subscribers on her main youtube channel. She's also broken out into main stream success with her music as well.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Would 'any' person recognize them? No. Probably not. I can't think of a single 'internet famous' person that someone who isn't on their computer daily would know who it is. But they'd know five hundred actors or political figures or 'actually famous' people.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Lindsey Stirling has over 8 million subscribers on her main youtube channel. She's also broken out into main stream success with her music as well.

Seen her live she's so good.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Seen her live she's so good.
    I saw her live this summer. Got to meet her too. She's good people. Loved her performance. Wanted to go see her monday in Detroit but no money to do it.

The one thing I noticed most of all about the audience at the show is that it was people of all ages and walks of life. There were people in their 50s there. There were amish people there.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Pewdiepie made $12 million in 2015, he's mostly known by teenagers.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    The only "Internet famous" person, widely recognised, is that Canadian brat, who makes teenage girls wet...
    Who, Shawn Mendes?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I saw her live this summer. Got to meet her too. She's good people. Loved her performance. Wanted to go see her monday in Detroit but no money to do it.

The one thing I noticed most of all about the audience at the show is that it was people of all ages and walks of life. There were people in their 50s there. There were amish people there.
    When I went it was all middle school girls and their dads,

And then my friend and I who were like 25
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    When I went it was all middle school girls and their dads,

And then my friend and I who were like 25
    That's too bad. I loved the diversity in the audience at that show. I really hope she comes back through ohio or michigan later on in her tour.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Pewdiepie is about as famous as a B celebrity. It also depends on demographics. I would the odds of someone over 30 recognizing him in person are far slimmer than someone under say, 25.
    Hit the nail on the head!!
    I have absolutely no idea who any internet celebrities are nor do I care to. My 17 YO daughter may though. Just as she has no idea who the sports "celebrities" are. Neither of which I could care less about. It is all about demographics.