Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its smart, but I don't know that I'd call it subtle, what with Anthony Hopkins just giving a speech about nuanced entertainment vs. tits&violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

Anyway, second episode was excellent. My only concern is that the show is too smart and subtle to make a big splash with general audiences. I could see the dummies finding it boring.
    Think it's going to be a lot like Game of Thrones, which is for the most part fairly slow and about people talking politics and family grudges, but keeps most of the audience entertained through violence, sex, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why it took a 6 season binge to decide if you liked it. Most people either like it from first few episodes, or not at all after a few episodes.
    No no, I never watched it at all until I happened to catch the first 10 minutes in the break room at work... then discovered it was the pilot, I was hooked. At that point, it was maybe 5-6 episodes into season 6. It took me a month to catch up and I "suffered" through having to wait a week, instead of watching a disc a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    No no, I never watched it at all until I happened to catch the first 10 minutes in the break room at work... then discovered it was the pilot, I was hooked. At that point, it was maybe 5-6 episodes into season 6. It took me a month to catch up and I "suffered" through having to wait a week, instead of watching a disc a day.
    lol, that sounds how I discovered the show, late and then hurried to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    lol, that sounds how I discovered the show, late and then hurried to catch up
    When Hurley asked Sayid how he learned to repair the transmitter, and dude was like Republican Guard... I was sold. Westworld was when I realized Cyclops was a host and not a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    ofcourse the guests can kill eachother, but it would just be straight up murder and they would go to jail or whatever they got in this future
    I'm betting that they can as well, but not with the WWorld's firearms. Still not sure how those work.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ed Harris had a knife I bet it still works on people, they haven't gone over weapon restrictions much yet but I'm sure it will be touched on moving forward.

Excellent show so far imho. Well-made and thought-provoking, with the right amount of nudity and kills and western charm to spice it up a bit. Also love how it doesn't pander to the audience and feels the need to tell us literally everything that happens on and off screen in case we've missed something. Can't watch it while gringing WQs in WoW like with so many other shows.

We'll see. Can go either way from here, but I'll definitely keep watching as long as it keeps being interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Somebody in a comment in an article I read wrote that the creators had said that the bullets are simulated, meaning the androids' bodies are designed to react like they've been shot, while it only stings a bit on a guest. Not sure if that's the case, but I imagine that the majority of the guns in Westworld can't hurt guests in one way or another. Would also make sense if they didn't have to repair to androids from real bullets holes and instead just had to clean them up and patch the holes.
    That has been my thought too. Those can't possibly be real guns and bullets, since there's no way to tell who's an andriod and who's a human. A lot of people would've died and the park been closed a loooong time ago if they were real.

On this gun discussion, I think the guns certainly seem to fire a projectile, Ed Harris is constantly getting hit with them and you can see the impact as they strike so it seems likely to me that the androids are programmed to explode where they are hit whilst it would probably be like getting hit with BB and sting a little for the parks guests.

So here's more shit...

I and friends whom I watch the show with every week have decided that the "these violent delights, have violent ends" (straight out of Romeo and Juliet) is another trigger phrase embedded in their root code. Much like the "dreamless slumber" line to deactivate an android. Either this line is programmed, or it's causing a programming routine error within their system which is instigating the weirdness. Reason? Delores said it to Maeve right before she started going loopy. It was also after Delores' father said this to her that she was then able to kill the fly. Maeve was then also capable of threatening the body shop workers with the scalpel. Whether this is Bernard's (Jeffrey Wright) plan on his own, or whether he's maybe working with Ford on this idk yet. But certainly one or both of them have put this in the androids.

Also sticking with Delores', I think the gun she finds in the ground (or is lead to by Bernard) is a real gun, unlike the game guns.

Still not sure yet what the importance of the "deep and dreamless slumber" line is about. Lifted from A Study in Scarlet, the first ever Sherlock Holmes novel by Doyle in 1887. Maybe it's just another "mystery"
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-10-13 at 05:59 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    There's a bit of a feel of some kind of "technomagic" going on in this show and in Westworld itself. When Jimmi Simpson's character (William) enters the train car, he does so from a door, that leads to the "dressing room" that he was in, and that room connects to the train car via a hallway or possibly an elevator. However in order for that to work, the train would have to be stationary, yet it suddenly launches out of a tunnel and there's absolutely no indication of it actually starting to move.

Also, the park itself is huge, yet the staff seemingly has no problems accessing it from wherever they like, and they've got the ability to just stop everything, which assumes that they somehow are able to cordon off the guests from the area they're stopping the hosts in.

Then there's of course the issue of the bullets; if the hosts are flesh and blood, as they seem to be, grafted on what looks like protein scaffoldings, then the bullets the guests fire have to be real. However, the bullets the hosts fire have to be real as well, since they kill each other. And knives. But, the real bullets the hosts fire at the guests don't hurt them. I understand hitting the clothing and there being some kind of a protective field in them or something, but how about the face? What if a guest shoots a host in the face? Them firing at the guests is also a bit confusing seeing as how they're supposedly not able to hurt a living thing.

I actually have a theory that the park itself doesn't exist quite as we think in the real world, and some kind of teleportation and miniaturization comes to mind. Then again, it could just be that they've used these "tricks" with the premise of extremely high technology allowing them to do such things, like force fields and whatever.

Yeah I don't think that they're in some like virtual simulation or that there's some Matrix style shenanigans going on heh. I think it's just to make the future seem more foreign or disorienting to us, just to frame the timeline that this show is taking place in.

I dunno why you spoiler tag your speculation, but I like the trigger phrase theory. Makes sense, and it makes you wonder who put it in and why. Maybe the trigger phrase was also hidden somewhere in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I dunno why you spoiler tag your speculation, but I like the trigger phrase theory. Makes sense, and it makes you wonder who put it in and why.
    idk, err on the side of caution lol, it had episode 2 stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    There's a bit of a feel of some kind of "technomagic" going on in this show and in Westworld itself. When Jimmi Simpson's character (William) enters the train car, he does so from a door, that leads to the "dressing room" that he was in, and that room connects to the train car via a hallway or possibly an elevator. However in order for that to work, the train would have to be stationary, yet it suddenly launches out of a tunnel and there's absolutely no indication of it actually starting to move.

Also, the park itself is huge, yet the staff seemingly has no problems accessing it from wherever they like, and they've got the ability to just stop everything, which assumes that they somehow are able to cordon off the guests from the area they're stopping the hosts in.

Then there's of course the issue of the bullets; if the hosts are flesh and blood, as they seem to be, grafted on what looks like protein scaffoldings, then the bullets the guests fire have to be real. However, the bullets the hosts fire have to be real as well, since they kill each other. And knives. But, the real bullets the hosts fire at the guests don't hurt them. I understand hitting the clothing and there being some kind of a protective field in them or something, but how about the face? What if a guest shoots a host in the face? Them firing at the guests is also a bit confusing seeing as how they're supposedly not able to hurt a living thing.

I actually have a theory that the park itself doesn't exist quite as we think in the real world, and some kind of teleportation and miniaturization comes to mind. Then again, it could just be that they've used these "tricks" with the premise of extremely high technology allowing them to do such things, like force fields and whatever.
    The show is definitely breaking rules, and any way to describe how the guns work is just fucking stupid. It is one of those things where you just nod your head and agree, and they don't ever try to explain it other than "because". Fabulous though. How they will rationalize arrows and knives is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    How they will rationalize arrows and knives is beyond me.
    Or a good choke out.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Or a good choke out.
    Elinor is choking out someone before the season ends for sure.

It's been shown already that the operators of the park have near unlimited access to monitor guests and situations going on. It's easy enough to presume that they have contingencies in place for if and when a guest goes ham on other guests.

Plus when you can just freely murder hosts, what's the point in murdering real people??? :O

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    It's been shown already that the operators of the park have near unlimited access to monitor guests and situations going on. It's easy enough to presume that they have contingencies in place for if and when a guest goes ham on other guests.

Plus when you can just freely murder hosts, what's the point in murdering real people??? :O
    Doing something illegal is less appealing when it is permissible. Thinking in the mind of the show, I doubt the rich assholes that go to the park are really biker gang quality in their mindset.

Eh. Feel the show is kinda lame and pointless. There are no real stakes- which makes the motivations of someone like Ed Harris illogical at worst, implausible at worst.

Things are written as though these people are in a video game essentially. However, playing a game with God Mode enabled is not very fun for long. The show somehow wants us to buy people are enjoying god mode for 30+ years?

Every time the show uses techniques meant to covey tension, danger or shock in the theme park it falls flat. Like when that guy stabs the old man with the treasure hunt quest in the hand. Why would that be shocking to me the viewer knowing the inherent premise of the show?

Westworld is as shallow as a puddle so far.