Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I found the threat comical.
    It took some balls I guess, but overall very immature.

These really sound like guys that Blizzard would like to go into business with.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Nost devs were working with Blizz at this point, the announcement sounds much more like baiting for free publicity than a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Well obviously, but like i said, a lot of people go on them or went on them knowing/not knowing if it is "wrong" or not. Also this topic is pointless at this point.
    wanking off isn't wrong tho.

Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Nost devs were working with Blizz at this point, the announcement sounds much more like baiting for free publicity than a threat.
    Why would Nost's devs be working with Blizz? Blizz does not need Nost to handle Legacy if they are working on it. I think they can handle it just a 'smidge' better than people working on an emulator

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Why would Nost's devs be working with Blizz? Blizz does not need Nost to handle Legacy if they are working on it. I think they can handle it just a 'smidge' better than people working on an emulator
    Dat Nost crew also has talent, they developed an incredibly stable server with limited resources. Vanilla servers had a 3k pop cap, they managed to increase that while keeping lag under control (towards the end of Nost, at the beginning it was crap). Meanwhile, the server could handle massive battles with relatively little lag; I know this because I was there the day dragons of the nightmare launched, there were massive battles going on in several places (there is a video showing the AH battle, I was in Darkshire with several hundreds of people). Retail WoW crashed and lagged for much less, I remember back in wrath that PvP zone was a horrible lagfest, invading a major city caused the server to boot you out, etc; Vanilla was even worse stability wise as far as I remember. Then there is the fact that they made the experience feel quite legit, despite not being able to recreate vanilla perfectly. Motivated bright people are worth gold, and the passion for WoW makes them quite good candidates to work on a vanilla WoW project. Contrary to popular belief, it makes much more sense for Blizzard to just hire people to work on a vanilla project than for it to divert resources from other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    Dat Nost crew also has talent, they developed an incredibly stable server with limited resources. Vanilla servers had a 3k pop cap, they managed to increase that while keeping lag under control (towards the end of Nost, at the beginning it was crap). Meanwhile, the server could handle massive battles with relatively little lag; I know this because I was there the day dragons of the nightmare launched, there were massive battles going on in several places (there is a video showing the AH battle, I was in Darkshire with several hundreds of people). Retail WoW crashed and lagged for much less, I remember back in wrath that PvP zone was a horrible lagfest, invading a major city caused the server to boot you out, etc; Vanilla was even worse stability wise as far as I remember. Then there is the fact that they made the experience feel quite legit, despite not being able to recreate vanilla perfectly. Motivated bright people are worth gold, and the passion for WoW makes them quite good candidates to work on a vanilla WoW project. Contrary to popular belief, it makes much more sense for Blizzard to just hire people to work on a vanilla project than for it to divert resources from other projects.
    So we're just going to ignore the posters from Nost that spoke about the amount of lag the servers had at peak hours and all of the other issues? Of course we are!

Wow shocking, so 12 years ago Vanilla crashed during X and Y yet these people managed to fix the issue 12 years later!? Oh man sign them up with full benefits and paid vacations!

I love the last line the best though "Contrary to popular belief, it makes much more sense for Blizzard to just hire people to work on a vanilla project than for it to divert resources from other projects." Yes because hiring some people running an emulator and letting them be the face of Vanilla is assuming Blizz is incapable of doing it themselves. Give me a break.

Yeah Nostalrius isn't like Project 1999 for Everquest, for example, which the copyright holders actually approved of. The only technical hurdles with that server were the reverse of Nostalrius - namely, the game actually ran too well on modern computers, greatly buffing things like AoE farming because there were less client and server issues.

The Nostalrius engine - and more broadly the commonly used open-source emulator cores that every private WoW realm operates on - is not capable of handling even a moderate retail realm's concurrent population without permanent, gamebreaking latency, no matter how powerful the hardware behind it becomes.

Deleted
    Legacy servers confirmed, 2nd day at blizzcon time slot "Main Blizzard 25th Anniversary - A Look Back", and tom chilton left the wow dev team to work on legacy servers

Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    Legacy servers confirmed, 2nd day at blizzcon time slot "Main Blizzard 25th Anniversary - A Look Back", and tom chilton left the wow dev team to work on legacy servers
    Source: Crystal Ball

C'mon, folks. If you want to make definite claims for or against Vanilla/Legacy/Apache Attack Helicopter servers like that, at least provide some kind of source.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Source: Crystal Ball

C'mon, folks. If you want to make definite claims for or against Vanilla/Legacy/Apache Attack Helicopter servers like that, at least provide some kind of source.
    it's on the main page of mmo....

where? stop trolling us? you had me too excited

Yes, the "Blizzard 25th Anniversary - A Look Back" slot is there. In which way, shape or form does that mean "Legacy servers confirmed"?
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Uhm a 25 year retrospective is not a confirmation of Legacy servers. By that logic we should have had them in 2011 with the 20 year retrospective. Post an actual source instead of just reading too much into stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    So, Nost crew should be hired as server technicians? Just working on that hardware?
    Nost did not maintain hardware they had a hosting service. Biggest thing to remember is that Blizzard hosts multiple servers and multiple games out of a single datacenter location. Where as Nost was a single infrastructure line going in.

- - - Updated - - -

You are more delusional here then you are in messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    This kind of attitude needs to be fixed. If debuffs slot gets increased, then it would not feel like vanilla? But, what if you speed run BWL the second week it's out? Yes, that is still vanilla! C'mon. Don't complain about people nitpicking when you thought the placing of mobs in UBRS on Nost were a little off.
    I guess we just have different philosophies. I also want a 100% vanilla experience, bugs and all. But I am not unwilling to accept something that is 99.99% vanilla. I tried something that was 99.99% vanilla, and I enjoyed it, that is why I mentioned the UBRS example.

I could understand why a legacy server could be 99.99% vanilla. I would rather play 99.99% vanilla than zero vanilla. I would rather have fun with my friends on one of my favorite games of all time than never play my favorite game again. I enjoyed the iOS port of Final Fantasy V, even though they updated the graphics. When I get a burrito from Chipotle, I don't send it back if there is one less black bean than normal. I'm not sure what else to say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Nost did not maintain hardware they had a hosting service. Biggest thing to remember is that Blizzard hosts multiple servers and multiple games out of a single datacenter location. Where as Nost was a single infrastructure line going in.

- - - Updated - - -

You are more delusional here then you are in messages.
    Not delusional, just pointing out facts, and the fact that so many people are afraid that legacy servers might be created just makes me believe more and more that it will happen.

Highly unlikely. But that isn't gonna stop me from getting excited about the possibility of it being true!

Not delusional, just pointing out facts, and the fact that so many people are afraid that legacy servers might be created just makes me believe more and more that it will happen.
    Yet you do not believe anything that is provided that is logical and factual from people who are professionals in the field........ DELUSIONAL

This is what happened. Your favorite uncle took your toy away from you and you started to pitch a fit. Finally after all the nagging he gave in and sat down and had a talk with your friend who made the toy, asked him a few little questions, said "good job tike", ruffled the hair on his head and sent him out on his way. This wasn't because he was interested in anything your friend had to say, he just wanted you to stop whining because that could make him look mean, and then the whole town would hear and would never go to his candy shop again. However, your uncle will never, ever, give your toy back. Because he's a dick.

You saw "Blizzard 25 year look back" and immediately saw that as legacy servers. The exact description of delusional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol nobody is "afraid" we just know it's highly unlikely. I'd love to know where y'all get this info that legacy server critics are conspiring with Blizzard to keep them in the dark. If Blizzard felt they were worthwhile they'd release them in an instant.