Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Don't think there's any real info on actual number of active players across different games, but at least when it comes to estimated earnings (SuperData), WoW has been surpassed in 2015 by Dungeon Fighter Online (don't really know much about the game, but it's classified as action MMORPG), not FF.

In fact, at least with SuperData's data, Lineage I and Maplestory are closer to WoW in earnings than FF, which doesn't appear to be anywhere close to WoW at all.
    This is probably why FF14 is ramping up their item shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Subscriber only just means no trial accounts where used.

A person who buys the game and gets their free month is counted as a subscriber because 1) they just paid their first month sub by purchasing the game which in most cases is double the amount or more of the sub and 2) you have to put in a valid payment option for renewal even though you can cancel before doing so.

You're making a wild and baseless assumption.
    So I'm making a wild and baseless assumption, but you know for a fact that, and I quote: "A person who buys the game and gets their free month is counted as a subscriber"?

Explain to me how that's fair again?
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2016-07-01 at 02:10 PM.

Deleted
    All games just chuck out numbers for fun...look at Diablo 3 sales numbers, how many of us actually got the game free when we played wow ? must have been millions....and they all got counted

10+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering if I'm the only one who dislikes FFXIV, not because of the long GCD, but because of the horrible combat animations while moving in combat as well as the running animation while playing with the keyboard?

I'm really nitpicky when it comes to animations in games while running around and FFXIV honestly has the worst ones. Playing with the camera based playstyle is a somewhat bearable, but it's still far from OK. I don't care about the GCD but do care about the bad keyboard animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    I was wondering if I'm the only one who dislikes FFXIV, not because of the long GCD, but because of the horrible combat animations while moving in combat as well as the running animation while playing with the keyboard?

I'm really nitpicky when it comes to animations in games while running around and FFXIV honestly has the worst ones. Playing with the camera based playstyle is a somewhat bearable, but it's still far from OK. I don't care about the GCD but do care about the bad keyboard animations.
    It is really off putting. I find it boring becasue of the long GCDs.

On topic. The last announcement of "players" from SE included all of their online games but was looked at as their FF 14 numbers. We will never know. Anyone or anysite reporting said numbers is just guessing. I mean the sites that record achievements and guild rankings/progression and such doesn't even have our guild on them and we have been 13/13M for a quite a few months now. so they are all guesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post

On topic. The last announcement of "players" from SE included all of their online games but was looked at as their FF 14 numbers. We will never know. Anyone or anysite reporting said numbers is just guessing. I mean the sites that record achievements and guild rankings/progression and such doesn't even have our guild on them and we have been 13/13M for a quite a few months now. so they are all guesses.
    What level did you get too?

In regards to who owns the biggest MMO,. I think it's unfair to group free and subscription based MMO's in the same comparison.
    Obvously "the biggest" is a nice title to have,. but I think the biggest should be split into the above 2 categories at least, perhaps even 3.
    - F2P (with or without p2w)
    - S2P (e.g. subscription based = WoW / Eve online)
    - P2P (e.g. pay once, = guild wars 1/2, and possibly others. diablo is no mmo but does follow the same model)

Quote Originally Posted by Alnilam81 View Post
    The MASSIVE thing you're missing is that that 5 million number is accounts made, not active players. To put that in a little context, the last figure I could find for WoW was 100 Million accounts, and that was 2 years ago.

I really enjoy FF14, but I hate seeing that number being misrepresented all the time.
    Wait,. so if WoW is at 5-6 mil players,. and 100 mil accounts,. that means wow players have nearly 20 accounts per player on average?
    That seems unrealistic somehow.
    How did you get to those numbers? I guess it inclides all accounts wow ever had. which means about 95 mil of those are banned or inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post

Long GCDs are annoying.
    If there's 1-2 special abilities that have it, fine. Ultimate skills or combat alterning powers like a rogue has on 3-5 minute cd.
    But a lot of abilities? Means you're going autoattack most of the time - that sucks.
    Last edited by bbr; 2016-07-03 at 10:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Wait,. so if WoW is at 5-6 mil players,. and 100 mil accounts,. that means wow players have nearly 20 accounts per player on average?
    How did you get to those numbers? I guess it inclides all accounts wow ever had. which means about 95 mil of those are banned or inactive)
    Guess it's from this. posted on B.net around January 2014~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    5-6million we have now is ACTIVE players.

100million accounts created is exactly that. Accounts created since launch... buy the game play a month you have created an account so you are added to that number. Its essentially the same as copies sold.

Essentially SE with the 5million accounts quote on adverts is to try make the game sound more attractive by using a number that directly competes with WoWs sub numbers.
    WoW the biggest MMO has 5million PLAYERS FF14 says 5million accounts, the game now sounds like it has comparable players to WoW, to those who don't realize the different data used, while also staying legal and not false advertising but just using a different measure.
    The reality is WoW has 5-6million players and FF14 has sub 770k players, FF14 doesnt sound as competitive now from a marketing stand point to the people who care about how many players a game has when realistically they wont even interact with even 0.1% of them players.

After being in so many discussions about subscriber numbers for MMOs for so many years, I have to ask, what does it really matter? Truth is, there are a ton of analogies to be made for things being more popular and lower quality. The only time popularity should matter is when you are enjoying a game, but it's so unpopular that it doesn't even justify keeping it running anymore.

Is that the source of the sub number interest? Fear of shutdowns?

At this point, I occasionally play WoW and ESO and that's really it. I don't think it matters how many other people are playing, as long as the illusion is preserved that there are many other players populating the in-game world and the game isn't in danger of being shutting down. Outside of those things, sub numbers are totally irrelevant to the player - or at least ought to be.

Quote Originally Posted by deadfusion View Post
    The reality is WoW has 5-6million players and FF14 has sub 770k players
    How is this reality exactly? WoW is below 4 million at this point and FFXIV is around 1 million.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    How is this reality exactly? WoW is below 4 million at this point and FFXIV is around 1 million.
    I was just quoting the poster above I have no idea of WoWs subs but even if it was 4mil vs 1mil, point still stands It sounds better to use a number that competes with WoWs figures Vs one thats only a quarter of it.

And sorry to break it to you FF14 is under 700k it has 770k in 3.1 and last unofficial census showed it had dropped to 630k give or take 10% but still a far-cry from 1million.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...l_census_time/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    After being in so many discussions about subscriber numbers for MMOs for so many years, I have to ask, what does it really matter? Truth is, there are a ton of analogies to be made for things being more popular and lower quality. The only time popularity should matter is when you are enjoying a game, but it's so unpopular that it doesn't even justify keeping it running anymore.

Is that the source of the sub number interest? Fear of shutdowns?

At this point, I occasionally play WoW and ESO and that's really it. I don't think it matters how many other people are playing, as long as the illusion is preserved that there are many other players populating the in-game world and the game isn't in danger of being shutting down. Outside of those things, sub numbers are totally irrelevant to the player - or at least ought to be.
    I don't understand why it matters either...for years I've seen the same threads pop up. And it's always the same arguments... In the end it doesn't even matter. What happens when there is a game subscribed to more than WoW? Are people going to point the finger and say say, "yeahhh after 10 years of being on top there's a game that's better than you! That will show you! You suck!"

It's just ridiculous. My guess is that people who no longer play wow just can't let it go. They need to feel justified for whatever reason. The games been on top for 10 years... get over it. Nothing that happens in the future will out-do what Blizzard has already achieved with this game.

FFXIV is a great game..go play it. Have fun. The only reason you should ever worry about sub numbers are if they appear to be so low that you are afraid the game will be taken from you by shutting down. Otherwise, just have fun until you aren't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by StaticHound View Post
    I don't understand why it matters either...for years I've seen the same threads pop up. And it's always the same arguments... In the end it doesn't even matter. What happens when there is a game subscribed to more than WoW? Are people going to point the finger and say say, "yeahhh after 10 years of being on top there's a game that's better than you! That will show you! You suck!"

It's just ridiculous. My guess is that people who no longer play wow just can't let it go. They need to feel justified for whatever reason. The games been on top for 10 years... get over it. Nothing that happens in the future will out-do what Blizzard has already achieved with this game.

FFXIV is a great game..go play it. Have fun. The only reason you should ever worry about sub numbers are if they appear to be so low that you are afraid the game will be taken from you by shutting down. Otherwise, just have fun until you aren't anymore.
    This. Stop fucking worrying about sub numbers and just enjoy the game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This. Stop fucking worrying about sub numbers and just enjoy the game.
    Very large sub numbers also means that the devs are catering to a large audience with differing needs in the game, which means that there will be content developed, using your sub money, but not exactly for you! (my logic is too awesome)

IMO, nowadays, it's better to simply look for the game that you fully like, instead of a game where you only like to do 1 activity out of the 20 developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Given that World of Warcraft is almost certainly below that now (reading into the last financial report, you can just about work it out), does that mean that it's now number 2?
    They are probably not below that since Legion just came out.

It means the designers at Irvine should be held responsible.
    Responsible for a release system that inherently means there will be ups and downs in the playerbase?

WoW's patch cycle isn't designed to keep a steady number of players paying $15 a month, twelve months a year; it's meant to get players to buy boxes and come back for the big updates every now and then, and sell merchandise whilst doing so.

FFXIV isn't about selling boxes, but delivering year-round content that keeps player interested. There is no emphasis on FFXIV merchandising, however.

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly, does the success of Final Fantasy XIV prove that the more traditional subscription MMORPG can still succeed in today's market?
    If done right, and that's a big if. FFXIV has the Final Fantasy brand name behind it; that's a monumentally powerful advantage that FFXIV has over every other starting MMO today.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Responsible for a release system that inherently means there will be ups and downs in the playerbase?

WoW's patch cycle isn't designed to keep a steady number of players paying $15 a month, twelve months a year; it's meant to get players to buy boxes and come back for the big updates every now and then, and sell merchandise whilst doing so.

FFXIV isn't about selling boxes, but delivering year-round content that keeps player interested. There is no emphasis on FFXIV merchandising, however
    You're absolutely right. Bli$$ard is worried about brand. Square actually cares about GAME development.

I'd rather pay for a video GAME, not a video BRAND that might be a game once or twice a year and the rest of the time collects more dust than my Game Boy Color.

Now, if they'd just get on with releasing my Final Fantasy 6 remake so I can die with no regrets...
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post

FFXIV isn't about selling boxes, but delivering year-round content that keeps player interested. There is no emphasis on FFXIV merchandising, however.

- - - Updated - - -

If done right, and that's a big if. FFXIV has the Final Fantasy brand name behind it; that's a monumentally powerful advantage that FFXIV has over every other starting MMO today.
    As someone who has raided both games, both have their good points, but FFXIV has some obvious flaws.

4-boss tiers, 2 HM dungeons, 1 trial boss, 1 LFR-type faceroll raid is not a lot of content every 6-8 months.... 7 months per progression tier; and 4 bosses. It is just as bad as Wow.

As awesome as Bahamut was, no one knew wtf Alexander was and how it was even a threat although you raided him for months. - Alexander "lore", personal opinion of course, is shittier than any raid-tier in WoW. Bahamut will always be one of my favs tho.
    It also wasn't that fun when A4S was the only progression boss for months. - How many could clear w/o the Nisi-cheese strat?

Airships/Diadem really f'd up gear-progression too before that was patched. - Exactly how WF/TF makes the playerbase in WoW feel.

I do prefer raid-design of FFXIV, especially that of Savage.
    Boss telegraphs are handled so much better than WoW, but FFXIV also has plenty of content droughts.

The Devs also spends plenty of their limited developer resources on shit implementations. (Did anyone Chocobo Race or Verminion a month or 2 after it's release? no.)

As much as people claim they love FFXIV crafting, many crafters I knew sought out 1-2button crafting macros...

Unless it has since changed, there was also no cross-realm raiding. (24man faceroll raid notwithstanding). So unless you were on Behemoth/Hyperion/Tonberry... good luck trying to raid (unless you were a JP speaker on a JP-realm).

One could even argue SE cares just as much about branding as Blizz...w/ Eorzea Cafes, new Mogstation stuff every month, soundtrack sales, plushie sales... it's all the same.

So...both games are the same. Both have the same content/dev issues. Both have plenty of strengths and weaknesses. To claim one is significantly better than the other is just a Coke vs. Pepsi argument.
    Last edited by Revoldt; 2016-10-17 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    You're absolutely right. Bli$$ard is worried about brand. Square actually cares about GAME development.

I'd rather pay for a video GAME, not a video BRAND that might be a game once or twice a year and the rest of the time collects more dust than my Game Boy Color.

Now, if they'd just get on with releasing my Final Fantasy 6 remake so I can die with no regrets...
    I think you took the completely wrong thing out of their post.

It's two different production cycles.