Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

'Asgardia' a new nation state in space

Dr Igor Ashurbeiyli

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37650274

A group of scientists is launching what they say will be a new pacifist nation-state in space.

Asgardia "will become a place in orbit which is truly 'no man's land'," its website says.

The new "nation" aims to launch its first satellite late next year and hopes to one day be recognised by the UN.

But some experts have cast doubt on the viability of the plan, given international law prohibits national sovereignty claims in outer space.

"Citizens" of Asgardia, who will be scrutinised before admission, will eventually obtain passports, says Lena de Winne, a senior member of the project team who worked for the European Space Agency for 15 years.

"Clearly it's difficult to wrap your head around the concept [of] how can you be a citizen of something you cannot put your foot on," she told the BBC.

"But I'm a citizen of the Netherlands and I'm now in Paris… There is nothing unusual about it if you are a citizen of a land where you don't live and where you don't go."

The project is being directed by the Vienna-based Aerospace International Research Center, a private company founded by Russian scientist and businessman Dr Igor Ashurbeiyli.

He joked to reporters in Paris at an event announcing the project that he would not be surprised if the media labelled him a "crazy Russian rocket scientist" talking "utter nonsense".

Its website says the new nation, the name of which derives from a city in the sky in Norse mythology, "will offer an independent platform free from the constraint of a land-based country's laws".

The group says it will open up new opportunities in space for commerce, science and "peoples of all countries on earth".

Crowdfunded space state

Competitions are being held to decide a national anthem and flag design.

Professor Sa'id Mosteshar, director of the London Institute of Space Policy and Law, cast doubt on the idea that Asgardia would be recognised under international law.

"The Outer Space Treaty… accepted by everybody says very clearly that no part of outer space can be appropriated by any state," he said.

Given Asgardia will not be associated with a self-governing territory, with its 'citizens' remaining on earth, its prospects for recognition are slim, he added.

The project is being funded personally by Dr Ashurbeiyli at present, but the group have announced they will seek crowdfunding.

Already more than 50,000 people have applied to 'join' the state online.

This crowdfunding aspect suggests the group's founders "don't have any real credible business plan", Professor Mosteshar said.

On the legal aspects, Dr Ashurbeiyli says he wants to create a "new judicial reality in space".

"The project is creating a new framework for ownership and nationhood in space, which will adapt current outer space laws governing responsibility, private ownership and enterprise so they are fit for purpose in the new era of space exploration," a statement said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    "will offer an independent platform free from the constraint of a land-based country's laws".

Uh. You're still bound by the laws of the country you're located in.

Deleted
    You know I too would like to create my own nation. It must be good to be king.

How long before it becomes anti-pacifist and is renamed McAsgardia or Pepsi presents Asgardia?

Gundam in the making?

Deleted
    Pacifist nation without laws... yep, it has "disaster" written all over it.

The first time they allow a bunch of jerks to enter, the peace is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    You know I too would like to create my own nation. It must be good to be king.
    It was good while it lasted

Requires more Neo Zeon newtype

Well I created my own nation state in space and just finished conquering the fuck out of them.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Asgard.... they greys......The Stargate is real!!!

So this basically amounts to

"We are gonna build our own nation with blackjack and hookers" ??

Do you want Gundams? Cause this is how you get Gundams.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Looks like it sponsored by kernal sanders
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Pacifist nation without laws... yep, it has "disaster" written all over it.

The first time they allow a bunch of jerks to enter, the peace is gone.
    This is assuming the people making this 'nation' aren't jerks.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    But, there is no such thing as outer space...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    "will offer an independent platform free from the constraint of a land-based country's laws".

You mean I couldn't claim diplomatic immunity? WTF is this bulllshit...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
    Looks like it sponsored by kernal sanders
    I thought Mr. wilson from dennis the menace

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    'Asgardia' a new nation state in space
    When i think of Asgard i absolutely think peaceful sky city. Absorlutely.

To hell with the law, that's only legal and binding here on earth. UNLESS THEY WANT TO FLY OUT HERE AND STOP ME!!

Oh, oh they actually do have rockets. Aaaand I'm arrested. Welp, that was fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    But, there is no such thing as outer space...
    There is no Hammerfest. It's all just a conspiracy. The mods reprogrammed Scrapbot into a troll-bot for sh*ts and giggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account

didn't someone already try this in the 70's? some kind of offshore based country on some abandoned oil derrick or something?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.