Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bleh, I should walk away, but:

Alex Jones has said the name Alex Jones. You said Alex Jones. Therefore you are a right winger.

I believe that everyone should have the same rights and protections.
    I believe that race, gender, sexual orientation, disability*, should not be barriers to opportunity.
    I believe that when barriers arise, related to features of a person that they have no control over, an effort should be made to bring those barriers down.
    I acknowledge that people have had their rights denied to them on the grounds of gender, race, sexual orientation and disability, religion too.
    I believe that the state should play a role in removing these barriers.
    I believe in a welfare safety net for people who are struggling.
    I believe in universal healthcare.
    I am pro choice.
    I am willing to pay higher taxes for healthcare, education etc.

*=obviously certain disabilities are so severe, that certain opportunities will simply be unavailable to some people.

How is this right wing?

The regressive left, a term coined by a left leaning Muslim, describes a section of the left that feels that identity is everything, and that it is ok to dismiss and criticise someone for being a certain race (white), gender (male), so long as it is the correct one (hence the regressive part, they don't want to abolish these things as barriers, merely change the parameters, because they are incredibly bigoted, and whilst rightly seeking to address historical injustice, are going about it the wrong way, as they want these barriers to remain in place), and that we should not, or at least be very wary, of criticising anyone with protected characteristics, no matter how insane they come across (like feminists defending Islamic extremists, because they aren't white), these people shouldn't be held to the same standards as white men (the bigotry of low expectations).

So when I see someone attacking people for mocking an idiot (who is a protected person), for reasons that are absurd (they are literally engaging in the same behaviour that they are attacking in others, and the arguments they are using can equally be applied against their defence of this person), I don't think it is an utterly irrational response (it might be incorrect, hard to say just yet, but it isn't irrational) to think that they might be on the regressive left, or have sympathies towards that ideology (to be clear, I am not criticising anyone here for belonging to that group), and that this is what is driving their defense of the person, not the reasons they claimed (this is what I am criticising and why I used the term in relation to the poster).

I also used the term in relation to the person in the video, as the regressive mindset, which doesn't like being critical of a protected person (like the one in the video), has shown in Western academia to nurture idiotic views (a white man invented gravity, so it is bad)/practices (listen and believe, but don't question, racist) and shield them from criticism, on the grounds of identity. Now, is this what has happened here? I can't say 100%, but again, for the reasons I have stated, I don't think that I am too far wide of the mark. I don't think it is irrational to level this criticism at the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Ah yea the ol Saffa racist.
    I explain a situation that is affecting me, not mentioning race, and you call me a racist?

Talk about playing a race card.

What a pathetic little feeble minded person you must be.

Except there are literally thousands of complex mathematical formulas proving 1=1 sure.
    1=1 is an axiom, an assumed truth

This is important as the basis of all of mathematics and, by extension, most of science is based upon assumed truth at some fundamental level. This is required though as without it no progress can be made because of the nature of subjectivity and lack of objective references.

I think you're getting caught up in the modelling behaviour section, where you state that we can interpret information differently and that's definitely true, but a good scientific theory (theory means more than just idea in this context) is one the one that predicts behaviour as well as explaining it - this is where many fall, they offer explanation but no predictive power based on that explanation. Typically then, there is always one theory here that predicts and explains better than others and that is the one we choose to follow.

This does not mean the idea is set in stone, in fact scientists are constantly clamouring over each other to disprove them, but that it is currently the best possible explanation of reality.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Proof which is also something that is subjectively determined.

Imagine if objectivity was an ideal.
    It would make life a lot easier if you could make objective conclusions about everything. No hard decisions ever again.

If you're looking at objective as absolute truth then you're right, some sciences would fall under philosophy as you can't consider something you observe as objectively true. If consider objectively true to be the same thing as what deems something a theory then you can draw a line between philosophy and a lot of sciences. If you don't then i think you're looking at maths(can't think of anything else) being separated from everything else as it's not based on subjective observations.

Just in case anyone is genuinely interested in the so-called objectivity of science, logic, math, etc., it turns in no small way upon whether or not epistemic relativism/absolutism is true: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/relativism/#EpiRel

The link is to a peer-reviewed encyclopedia entry.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This video makes me disrespect a lot of things and people I would rather like instead. Now I am unable to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

So many boogiemen.
    Some freaking out about the alt-right
    Some feeling prosecuted by the ctrl-left.

Come join the shift center!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, let me get this straight... She thinks gravity just exists because one guy (Issac Newton) said so? *Backs the fuck away at full speed*
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I don't feel like fucking a fence for the rest of my life tyvm
    Your loss. Fence-sitting is a ridiculously fun high horse.

Is it strange I don't care much one way or the other? Sure I have my opinion on the matter but it just seems trivial to judge a whole society on what some hippies are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Videos like this make me take the "college educated" demographics a lot less seriously.
    I have to deal with this because I want to go into public relations and that's in the communication field and communication is what spawned a lot of this nonsense I'm learning. For example what most people consider the scientific method of research is actually one end of a very broad spectrum apparently and that "scholars" believe that in some cases there is more than one truth that should be accepted. I have to bite my tongue plenty considering most of the people that have been listed as humanist(the polar opposite of using the scientific method) in articles we read supposedly accept multiple truths yet I wager if I had met that person and told them I believed they were wrong they'd pitch a huge fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Is it strange I don't care much one way or the other? Sure I have my opinion on the matter but it just seems trivial to judge a whole society on what some hippies are doing.
    These people are being listened to by colleges and lawmakers even though they are a small group. That is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Harakka View Post
    Did you see how the panel started laughing when the guy said "it isnt true" about her comment about black magic being able to send a bolt of lightning to someone. They really belive this nonsense. It makes me sad to see people are still at this level of ignorance. This is also a dangerous type of ignorance because they are actively trying to push this mentality to others. ; Belive in what you like, its your right. As long as its not affecting anyone else.
    I can't help a nagging feeling that she understands the adjective "black" in front of "magic" differently from the established meaning of this expression... and that I may even risk postulating she believes whatever "black" must surely trump anything "colonial".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Because the views of some random people in a classroom don't dictate the views of an entire continent.
    But who do you think is educating and raising those kids? And they will eventually grow up. But will their view change? I doubt consdering the part of the world they live in.
    Africa and Middle East are my two favorite parts of the world. Their view on how thing should be aren't.

Rather ride a sober horse.
    On a shitslingig fest every horse is intoxicated. Mine is just the happy inoffensive drunkard.
    If this was anything other than namecalling and freaking out, then picking sides would have some merit. As it is, not really.

What does decolonize science even mean? What are these people talking about? Is this a regular occurance in universities these days, or is this localized?

Ah, south africa. Well. I think I get an understanding of what they mean by decolonize. They want their own science. Well, sure, let them try.

10+ Year Old Account
    My IQ after watching this dropped a bit, but much less so than it drops every time I read comments on MMO-Champ in threads like this. "Someone random said something stupid - it means our society is in peril!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    How is she even allowed in school with that IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    She thinks gravity just exists because one guy (Issac Newton) said so?
    If we want to explore the strongest version of the claim (principle of charity and all that), they're arguing that there are different organizations of knowledge. We simply prefer one set of equations, rationalizations or framing over others.
    I wish her luck in the endeavor of rebuilding the edifice of science with no shoulder to stand upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    It doesnt though. The very definition of science is that its based on hard facts and everything needs to be proven. Philosophy on the other hand is subjective.
    That really isn't the definition of Science though. Science does not deal in 'proofs' - that's the domain of mathematics. Science deals in provisional explanations of empirical data. Scientific theories may continue to be bolstered by new evidence but they're still subject to revision if contradictions or a better explanation are discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    These people are being listened to by colleges and lawmakers even though they are a small group. That is the problem.
    Are you talking about US colleges and law makers because I doubt they're paying much attention to students at the University of Cape Town in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    My IQ after watching this dropped a bit, but much less so than it drops every time I read comments on MMO-Champ in threads like this. "Someone random said something stupid - it means our society is in peril!!!"

Your incessant posting around here doesn't exactly raise the level of discourse.
    Working on my next ban.