Thread: BiS Obsessives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisha View Post
    Infraction for the cold, hard truth? Is mmo-champ becoming a safe space? Holy shi-et.
    Yeah meanwhile the same 5 shitposters get to run rampant. Place is a joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    It just seems weird to me when people blame the game designer for not providing a deterministic path to best-of-everything.

Some games give you that. Others don't. One thing for sure, you don't win WoW by having BiS everything. You don't even get 1 achievement point for it.

But then again, the achievements that give you the least points, yet are the hardest to achieve, are the most prestigious ... e.g. the folks to did Gonna Need a Bigger Bag before it was account-wide.

An achievement that doesn't even exist and gives you 0 points would be the best achievement of all.

PS that fucking rare crab.

Then again, you seem to fall into traps too when you talk. As if achievements count toward "winning" the game.

Some have a goal in the game, some do not. But you cant really blame players for having a goal, whether it be all battle pets, max achievement points or BiS items at the end.

If I have the best gear in the game then there's little else for me to do, my goal is character progression, if I have the best gear then I can no longer progress. I find it fun to get new gear and test out if it's an upgrade or not. I don't find it fun when I run dungeons or quests that give me no rewards that prevent me from progressing my main goal.

It's almost like people have different reasons to play the game.
    Last edited by xpose; 2016-10-13 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    Well I used to not be this type of player but last year I played shit ton of Diablo 3 and this type of mentally got hold of me. When you're at the end of the progression cycle, the "really end" is when you're fully decked with all the Best in Slot gear. Lets face it, in terms of progression is there anything beyond the Best in Slot gear? I don't think so :P until, of course, the next raid tear is released
    D3 has a different mentality than WOW does - WoW progression is raid based - when you kill the last, final boss, that's considered "the end" of the expansion, in terms of story and progression. D3 doesnt do that - the story almost doesnt matter in D3, it's all focused (sadly) on GR pushing, and baked in levels from the class sets. The only "BiS" is getting ancient versions of everything, if you can take the grind. "Finishing" a season, that's up to the player. Most get to the point of the pet and frame, and they're done, others will get the extra slot, and be done, others will try to push their GR to a new record level for themselves.

The interesting thing with D3, is near the end of the season, you'll see the leaderboard top players break away from the sets, and try different combos, to push the GR envelope. That's something you rarely see in WoW - you don't see people saying "Imma get to 23,000,233 DPS, then I'm done with Legion!". With the new mythic stone system, you *might* see that come into play more, but I doubt it, WoW's reward structure with achievements, mounts, and gear appearances make up for that, to set milestones for players to be "done".

Quote Originally Posted by Psykee View Post
    Then again, you seem to fall into traps too when you talk. As if achievements count toward "winning" the game.

Some have a goal in the game, some do not. But you cant really blame players for having a goal, whether it be all battle pets, max achievement points or BiS items at the end.
    That Russian dude who got every last AP in the game a few years back, he certainly won WoW.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    If I have the best gear in the game then there's little else for me to do, my goal is character progression, if I have the best gear then I can no longer progress. I find it fun to get new gear and test out if it's an upgrade or not. I don't find it fun when I run dungeons or quests that give me no rewards that prevent me from progressing my main goal.
    Personally I think RNG is a feature, not a bug.

I sort of understand that people feel sad when their raiding supposedly-buddy gets a couple legendaries and some stupid OP drop from a world quest, and they just get the usual poop from killing bosses, but please tell me, who feels bad about GOOD luck?

Who would like to play a game without luck? If so I would like you to meet chess, checkers, and go. Your problem is solved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Being decked out BiS gear matters quite a bit less at this point in time. As people use more legendaries it'll be even easier. You'll want a set bonus(or two), the right trinkets and you're basically good for the next tier.
    Less, yes it matters less; but it still matters.
    Besides, legendaries seem to have a higher tendency to drop in raids; so reclearing them is not as obsolete as you say.

Also; if you are already striving for something you might as well strive for the best (reasonably obtainable*).

It just seems weird to me when people blame the game designer for not providing a deterministic path to best-of-everything.
    Slightly off the mark here, at least , for me it's not so much obssessing over getting BiS gear, it's more the fact that, imo, if you do the hardest content in the game, you should be rewarded with the best gear yes? It's kinda a kick in the nuts when a mythic trinkets drops, it's assigned to you and your thinking "fuck, now i'm lower on the waiting list of a WF / socketed one drops". Getting mythic loot should never feel bad / awkward and it's that feeling that trickles down and resonates among the players base.

It's not about having a 100% guaranteed, pick of the litter, style path toward gearing. But if a raid has two say two belts in it's loot table, i know wich of the two has the best secondary stats for me, i take it and move on. It shouldn't be like "well, maybe this crapier one is better than the other one because it titanforged, but if an unupgraded version of the other one drops, it's still better..."

Edit: I'm not saying rng is strictly speaking bad, i just wish that as you climbed the totem poll of progression there was some way to mitigate it... i got very lucky and coined a 895 Swarming Plague hive second week of mythic (bis warlock trinket), i squeeled like a schoolgirl over discord when i got it sure, but at the same time it took 4 months of kills + coin to get a mythic Bladesmaster's on my hunter in HFC and i ended the with Heroic Tier legs because fuck Gorefiend.... every Reset with the seal of inevitable gold was just anoying and when i got it was a relief rather than elation.
    Last edited by PowerOfTwo; 2016-10-14 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfTwo View Post
    Slightly off the mark here, at least , for me it's not so much obssessing over getting BiS gear, it's more the fact that, imo, if you do the hardest content in the game, you should be rewarded with the best gear yes? It's kinda a kick in the nuts when a mythic trinkets drops, it's assigned to you and your thinking "fuck, now i'm lower on the waiting list of a WF / socketed one drops". Getting mythic loot should never feel bad / awkward and it's that feeling that trickles down and resonates among the players base.
    That's it right there. If you are the first to get an item that everyone wants and that item didn't roll higher than the base it's a huge letdown since you can kiss your chances good bye on getting the BiS version of that item.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really meaning to create a troll thread here, but I've always found it ... peculiar ... that there is a segment of the population (probably a fairly small, but vocal segment) that feels that the "end" of the expansion, or when they have "won" it, is when their character is decked out in BiS everything. BiS being determined by questionably reliable 3rd party simming, or whatever.

I don't know exactly where this comes from. Was there some predecessor to WoW where you won once you had all the best gear?

Who thinks it's more important to wind up with everything BiS than to kill all the bosses?

Just curious actually. I sort of understand that it's nice to have the optimum everything, but I'm not actually familiar with interesting games where that's actually possible, except by either winning the lottery, or extraordinary persistence. (Vanilla Angband, I'm looking at you.)
    Talking just for myself it was soooooooo much fun to gather up the BiS set during TBC
    No warforged items ... not funky random shit.

Just getting that Tier set decking yourself out with the best Trinkets and possibly the 2 legendary's ... (or the BiS epic weapons).
    Achieving perfect stats was ... awesome.

I don't mind the randomness in Legion, sometimes i even think it's fun But i do miss not having a true BiS list anymore.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

In order for BIS gear to even be an option, you need to kill the bosses that drop them, which basically means you are farming 7/7 mythic. And at that point, what else do you have left to do in that raid?

The same argument kiiinda also applies to eg people trying to farm HC "BIS" because they know they will never do mythic, so that content might as well not exist for them.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Who thinks it's more important to wind up with everything BiS than to kill all the bosses?
    Historically most high end players killed all the bosses before new ones were added (sometimes loooooong before) and so collecting the best gear was the only actual challenge to the game. Since the addition of normal and LFR even more players kill all the bosses, so collecting BiS is even more of a valid goal than ever, the sad drawback is that due to warforging it's almost impossible now, but still possible ot get the best items in some configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Aren't achievers more like completionists which would collect everything (like I would do for instance) ? In that case, gear is rather irrelevant since it is not humanely possible to have a real BiS, and these gear will always be upgraded, and are not part of the permanent aspect of collecting in your character, it's just temporary, making the gearing somewhat low priority compared to timed content like cutting edge or 100 arena wins/40 rbg wins.

So I really don't understand those who want to get the BiS gear and consider the game done, a real achiever will never think that.
    I certainly would categorize myself to the right side of the graph, and find "BiS hunting" rather pointless and redundant.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Deleted
    At the end of Cata my guild had killed Deathwing HC and got mounts for everyone. At that point, as a raiding guild we'd effectively beaten the game and had nothing left to do. It didn't really matter what gear people had as we had literally no reason to raid until the next expansion (although in this case the guild folded as most of us were completely burnt out on WoW).

So to answer the OP, no I don't really understand people who feel the need to have BiS gear in every single slot. Raid until you've done everything you want to do and then kick back and relax whilst Blizz takes 6-12 months to release the next expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I certainly would categorize myself to the right side of the graph, and find "BiS hunting" rather pointless and redundant.
    Maybe bis hunting is more like social/competitive type, not achiever, players willing to be the best and the most powerful and feel superior to others in a way, and lose interest once reaching that point