Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Damn you, Science! I hate how you try to make sense of everything!

If there is something I can't explain... then the answer is always Jesus is magic, or a Wizard did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is what happens when we admit people to college based on race when they don't come even close to meeting the minimum standards for that university. Some of them, inevitably, wind up really believing that they know things and can argue cogently.
    Maybe that is their standard. I've seen worse "scientific conclusions" from their scientists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    It's time to decolonize science , because western knowledge is totalizin'
    around 2:45 - 3M it sounds like she is more in disagreement that the equations newton figured out 9.7 m/s^2 or whatever i forget accelleration due to gravity really,

she disagrees with the totality that science proclaims HE was the one that figured ohh an apple fell, must be gravity,

rather than it being obvious? someone who is in a culture where they aren't exposed to newtons laws, figures out the same equation, figures out action/reaction etc...
    gets absolutely no credit.

the lightning part was...to far fetched, but she was LOOKING, for a reaction like that, she didn't seem upset by being interrupted, rules broken called out, etc...she was like yep there it goes /point.

she got the reaction she wanted with some random piece of w/e culture trivia. then went on to explain what she actually meant. the lightning part was bait and someone fell for it.

it's more about there apparently being a single originator, for every idea, which imho is BS, look at the heliocentric theory, it was shut down many times before it was accepted. but no one, in any culture other than european ofc, could of possibly figured out the earth wasn't flat / center of the solar system(galaxy/universe, etc)???

it's the totality of statements like copernicus was, newton was einstein was, instead of XYZ people, aztecs had X figured out a millenia before europe(their calanders man...wow even geography meant to correspond to celestial bodies across a damn continent.), stuff like that.

even to the point of someone using current data and help from a space agency to find undiscovered ruins
    https://www.wired.com/2016/05/long-l...snt-lost-city/

i mean seriously, its totally all european right?

okay so finished it, 3minutes to end, her closing statement may make me rethink the lightning comment rofl...
    do away with it entirely and starting all over again to deal with how we respond to the environment and how we understand it

if she was talking about the historical claims that XYZ was the originator, singly, of a new way of thinking, that last comment makes no sense.
    unless she really does believe the lightning thing?
    Last edited by Christan; 2016-10-14 at 03:05 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I don't remember reading Jesus, Buddha, or Confucius running around preaching kill anyone that doesn't believe exactly as you do.
    Not kill but eternally damned in Hell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    around 2:45 - 3M it sounds like she is more in disagreement that the equations newton figured out 9.7 m/s^2 or whatever i forget accelleration due to gravity really,

she disagrees with the totality that science proclaims HE was the one that figured ohh an apple fell, must be gravity,

rather than it being obvious? someone who is in a culture where they aren't exposed to newtons laws, figures out the same equation, figures out action/reaction etc...
    gets absolutely no credit.

the lightning part was...to far fetched, but she was LOOKING, for a reaction like that, she didn't seem upset by being interrupted, rules broken called out, etc...she was like yep there it goes /point.

she got the reaction she wanted with some random piece of w/e culture trivia. then went on to explain what she actually meant. the lightning part was bait and someone fell for it.
    She wasn't baiting, she really is open to lightning voodoo as it is not a part of 'Western science'.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-10-14 at 03:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me see what giveafuck.exe says.

*snippy snip*

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-10-14 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Videos like the OP and comments like this remind me how fundamental 'us-vs-them thinking' is to the human condition.
    Interesting as I'm part of that demographic.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Where is this from?
    University of Cape Town, South Africa.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pingasman82 View Post
    Granting immunity to certain people means stupid doesn't get challenged and you end up with this
    Yep. Push her out the airlock.

Deleted
    Science doesn't even know in what it should succeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    First... lol, that was a funny tirade.

Western science is based on conjecture and refutation and taking reality in bits of data in order to classify it.

It has been the single most successful ideology in human thought and history.

If this person thinks that Call Lightening can be cast by witches in Africa, great, I just don't believe it till I can see it, and test it in a controlled setting.

I agree with @Skroe on this. People need to put things into perspective, there are a lot of people out there saying some very... interesting things, ignore them and move on unless they are actually affecting you.
    Ignoring them doesn't make them go away, you have to take them down asap. It's not just one person in that video that talks crazy. You have to engage them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Does this not remind you of the crazy people in china's cultural revolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with @Skroe on this. People need to put things into perspective, there are a lot of people out there saying some very... interesting things, ignore them and move on unless they are actually affecting you.
    Ignoring bad ideas is mentally lazy. If somebody says we need to refute "algebra" because "Al" has an Arabic origin then we should call them out as idiots. The only reason it would remain an issue is if people come to the defense of bad ideas.

Deleted
    I love that she believes you can strike someone down with a lightning bolt, if that was the case wouldn't Donald Trump be a pile of ashes by now?

and the earth is the center of the universe.
    It sort of is though after your account for expansion, either there is no centre or every point is the centre :P
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Let me see what giveafuck.exe says.

I wonder what version 7.0 brings!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    It sort of is though after your account for expansion, either there is no centre or every point is the centre :P
    Geocentrism is actually a valid frame of reference in light of General Relativity. It's just not particularly useful.

This isn't to say that Geocentrists are right, since their claim is that the Geocentric frame is the only valid one. The reason it's valid in GR, though, is because basically every frame is valid.

So it's strange hearing statements like 'the Earth goes around the Sun' or the 'the Earth goes around the barycenter,' because both statements are presupposing that we're in the frame where that makes sense. It's not controversial though because that happens to be the simplest frame for most purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh; I'm not saying don't refute it, but getting worked up over it is just giving her more power over you than she should have.
    By this logic shouldn't you also be quieting all the people getting worked up over Trump? Ignore him, you're just giving him more power..

Somebody ought to show this to Neil deGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku, I am sure they would have a good laugh at this level of stupidity.

How in the heck do kids like this get anywhere in college?

Keep breeding and raising dumb people and we are going to have a President Camacho leading this country in less than a couple of generations. (We're almost there with the current two main candidates.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Political disagreements as I said are different.
    Scratching off science because it is a product of "western modernity" sounds very political to me.