10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Not true at all. As First Man or whatever they would call him, he will be living in the white house and will have the traditional role of first lady. He will be able start initiatives (hopefully the give the kids food they like and enough to make them feel full at school every day initiative), and he will be traveling to all kinds of state events in an ambassador-like role (we dont want someone like him embarrassing us), and you cant tell me he wouldnt be giving his input into the way Hillary should be doing her job. Its not like he will just be sleeping in till noon every day, and then spend the rest of the day sitting in a rocking chair sipping lemonade
    I do realize that ice cream and candy is Trump's mo, but is this really a good idea?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    And a good thing too...as our economy would be totally in the crapper with increased taxation, more costly regulations and a lot more handouts we can't afford.
    2008 called...

As much as it irks you to acknowledge, the last 2 democrats left presidential office with economy in much better shape their republican predecessors.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    As much as it irks you to acknowledge, the last 2 democrats left presidential office with economy in much better shape their republican predecessors.
    Nonsense! They just took credit for things the Republicans set in motion. Without Bush and the economic collapse, Obama wouldn't have been able to administer a recovery!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    2008 called...

It doesn't irk me as I actually understand what happened and know better than to make sweeping partisan judgments in the vacuum of ignorance.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And a good thing too...as our economy would be totally in the crapper with increased taxation, more costly regulations and a lot more handouts we can't afford.
    You mean we'd already rebuilding our infrastructure, fixed the problems with ACA so we're finally not the only modernized country without universal healthcare, and overhauled our immigration system?

But thanks to the GOP we're just sitting our hands until McConnell (the worst obstructionist in US history) decides his first priority isn't to make Obama a one-term president.

Please stop trying to defend the worst period in GOP history. It's pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Cheating on your wife with an ugly intern with a cigar #respect.
    Whether that intern was ugly or not, that's in the eye of the beholder, Mister Trump.

Plus, Endus talked about internationally respected...
    And fact is, that Clinton was internationally the highest respected and liked US President since JFK.
    The popularity of your President is in direct connection to the country's reputation as a whole.
    If you want to be the leader of the free world, and that's a task the US undoubtedly claims for itself, then you better make sure that the world respects your president, ideally even admires him/her.
    This is how you lead the world. This is how you are accepted.
    The decline of the US' respect is entirely on the Bush administration. They've tanked the reputation, and even though Obama restored a lot of it again, even he could not repair it in full. That has a lot to do with Gitmo though, and how it's still open.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You mean we'd already rebuilding our infrastructure, fixed the problems with ACA so we're finally not the only modernized country without universal healthcare, and overhauled our immigration system?
    Spoken like a true progressive. /golfclap

But thanks to the GOP we're just sitting our hands until McConnell (the worst obstructionist in US history) decides his first priority isn't to make Obama a one-term president.
    You're mistaken...Reid was the worst obstructionist leader in Senate history. The first thing McConnell did when taking leadership was to begin addressing House legislation (instead of sitting on hundreds and hundreds of bills passed by the House for years and years like Reid did). He also immediately allowed bill amendments from the minority party (a Reid practice that even many Democrats increasingly complained about). Yes, Republicans abused the filibuster in their unrelenting rage over ACA and how it was passed, but don't blindly ignore Reid's blatant obstructionism during his 7 years of Senate leadership.

Please stop trying to defend the worst period in GOP history. It's pathetic.
    I'll stop defending when you start displaying an ounce of objectivity.
    Last edited by DocSavageFan; 2016-10-14 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And fact is, that Clinton was internationally the highest respected and liked US President since JFK.
    And there's a reason I said internationally respected.

Outside the USA, nobody's got a political bone in American politics. We're not going to be biased for or against a specific politician because of party lines. There's a shocking hostility towards Bill Clinton within the USA and it's pretty much entirely because he's a Democrat. The reasons they attack him, like this infidelity, are also true in spades for their own Republican candidates, but that gets ignored, because Bill is the Great White Democrat (that's a whale joke, not a race joke) who must be slain, for daring to be a Democratic President.

For instance; you can not take a stand that infidelity is an unacceptable character flaw in a President, using Bill Clinton as your pinata to beat that point, while supporting confessed serial adulterer Donald Trump. That's hypocrisy. It makes it brutally clear that their issue is not the infidelity, but Bill Clinton being a political enemy, who they're desperately flinging whatever they can at to try and mar his name and legacy.

Because if they truly thought infidelity was that terrible, they'd be condemning Trump to a far greater degree, because between the two of them, only one is running for President, and that one isn't Bill Clinton.

Most of the rest of the world sees infidelity as a personal issue, not a professional one, and while I'd agree it's reason for tension within the Clinton's marriage, that's between the two of them, and nobody else. If Hillary can forgive him for it (and she clearly has), I don't see how it's anyone else's business. It certainly doesn't reflect on Bill Clinton's successes as President.

And for the record, I don't even really care about Trump's infidelities. That's between him and his ex-wives. So this isn't me being hypocritical on this issue, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do realize that ice cream and candy is Trump's mo, but is this really a good idea?

- - - Updated - - -
    I was thinking more along the lines of pizza, cheeseburger and fries, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese and soup, hotdogs, salisbury steak, fish sticks, spaghetti, etc... You know, the stuff we ate in schools for the last 50 years before Michelle Obama changed it to tiny portions of food that sucks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And there's a reason I said internationally respected.

Outside the USA, nobody's got a political bone in American politics. We're not going to be biased for or against a specific politician because of party lines. There's a shocking hostility towards Bill Clinton within the USA and it's pretty much entirely because he's a Democrat. The reasons they attack him, like this infidelity, are also true in spades for their own Republican candidates, but that gets ignored, because Bill is the Great White Democrat (that's a whale joke, not a race joke) who must be slain, for daring to be a Democratic President.

For instance; you can not take a stand that infidelity is an unacceptable character flaw in a President, using Bill Clinton as your pinata to beat that point, while supporting confessed serial adulterer Donald Trump. That's hypocrisy. It makes it brutally clear that their issue is not the infidelity, but Bill Clinton being a political enemy, who they're desperately flinging whatever they can at to try and mar his name and legacy.

Because if they truly thought infidelity was that terrible, they'd be condemning Trump to a far greater degree, because between the two of them, only one is running for President, and that one isn't Bill Clinton.

Most of the rest of the world sees infidelity as a personal issue, not a professional one, and while I'd agree it's reason for tension within the Clinton's marriage, that's between the two of them, and nobody else. If Hillary can forgive him for it (and she clearly has), I don't see how it's anyone else's business. It certainly doesn't reflect on Bill Clinton's successes as President.

And for the record, I don't even really care about Trump's infidelities. That's between him and his ex-wives. So this isn't me being hypocritical on this issue, either.
    Can't say it any better.

- - - Updated - - -

Relevant:
    As Obama Years Draw to Close, President and U.S. Seen Favorably in Europe and Asia

Few overseas confident that Trump can handle foreign policy

Spoken like a true progressive. /golfclap

You're mistaken...Reid was the worst obstructionist leader in Senate history. The first thing McConnell did when taking leadership was to begin addressing House legislation (instead of sitting on hundreds and hundreds of bills passed by the House for years and years like Reid did). He also immediately allowed bill amendments from the minority party (a Reid practice that even many Democrats increasingly complained about). Yes, Republicans abused the filibuster in their unrelenting rage over ACA and how it was passed, but don't blindly ignore Reid's blatant obstructionism in his time of Senate leadership.

I'll stop defending when you start displaying an ounce of objectivity.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original ACA, which included a publicly available healthcare option that would have been much more affordable and available to anyone, shot down by Republicans? What we have now is the compromise that was finally "agreed" upon only after that public option was taken out so that the big healthcare companies were protected from any kind of economic down turn...leaving only the private healthcare options which people are now complaining about?

Doesn't that make the financial issues everyone is complaining about in regards to how expensive/ unaffordable insurance is right now just as much the Republicans fault as it is the Democrats? Why is Obama the only person being "blamed" for an act that took both parties to enact?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Whether that intern was ugly or not, that's in the eye of the beholder, Mister Trump.

The popularity of your President is in direct connection to the country's reputation as a whole.
    If you want to be the leader of the free world, and that's a task the US undoubtedly claims for itself, then you better make sure that the world respects your president, ideally even admires him/her.
    This is how you lead the world. This is how you are accepted.
    The decline of the US' respect is entirely on the Bush administration. They've tanked the reputation, and even though Obama restored a lot of it again, even he could not repair it in full. That has a lot to do with Gitmo though, and how it's still open.
    And what you are ranking that on? your personal feelings?

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe read a thread to the end, if you re enter it?
    The answer is in my last post. you replied to post 7551 and got the answer in 7555...

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking more along the lines of pizza, cheeseburger and fries, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese and soup, hotdogs, salisbury steak, fish sticks, spaghetti, etc... You know, the stuff we ate in schools for the last 50 years before Michelle Obama changed it to tiny portions of food that sucks?
    School cafeteria food has never been good lol. It's always been cardboard and glue

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much any analysis done. In addition to what's already linked, there's stuff like this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...st-over-rated/

Clinton is a highly respected ex-President, by pretty much everyone but blindly partisan Republicans.

Pretty much any analysis done. In addition to what's already linked, there's stuff like this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...st-over-rated/

Clinton is a highly respected ex-President, by pretty much everyone but blindly partisan Republicans.
    So, you are saying that all of this media attention over Trumps supposed treatment of women is completely ridiculous, since the documented treatment of women by Bill Clinton didn't prevent him from being well regarded as a president.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    So, you are saying that all of this media attention over Trumps supposed treatment of women is completely ridiculous, since the documented treatment of women by Bill Clinton didn't prevent him from being well regarded as a president.
    No. I'm saying that there is no documentation of such treatment by Bill Clinton. None whatsoever. A handful of accusations that were never determined to have an ounce of merit is not "documentation".

Meanwhile, with Trump, we have the actual things that Trump is on tape saying and advocating.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean the stuff that lead to the rise of child obesity?

- - - Updated - - -

Even if you take that road, the fact that it resulted in impeachment and billions of tax dollars spent on the topic, is not a reason to elect Trump. You can claim Bill was just as bad to get elected, but hindsight, not speculating during the election, should show you Trump is not worth electing. You cannot win this in favor of Trump, unless you ask people to ignore reality...

And be careful, if you bring up how successful Bill's terms were in spite of these accusations, remember who Trump is running against.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original ACA, which included a publicly available healthcare option that would have been much more affordable and available to anyone, shot down by Republicans? What we have now is the compromise that was finally "agreed" upon only after that public option was taken out so that the big healthcare companies were protected from any kind of economic down turn...leaving only the private healthcare options which people are now complaining about?

Doesn't that make the financial issues everyone is complaining about in regards to how expensive/ unaffordable insurance is right now just as much the Republicans fault as it is the Democrats? Why is Obama the only person being "blamed" for an act that took both parties to enact?
    My previous comments stand regarding ACA. That aside, how can the Republicans have shot down anything when they didn't have a majority. It was everything the Democrats could do (even with all their special backroom deals to appease holdouts) in order to get their own party to buy in and get it passed. And that was just for the watered down version! They would have never been able to muster enough support within the party to get the public option passed.

I agree that it was a really bad deal after all the compromises Democrats made to get this POS passed. Even Obama himself was making backroom deals with Big Pharma which enraged progressives at the time it was discovered.

However, I'm amazed that you can sit there and blame ACA's ever increasing failures on Republicans...not one Republican vote was cast to support Obamacare and they've done everything possible to repeal it. Democrats enacted this POS legislation and need to take full responsibility for its failures instead of blaming Republicans (like they always do). This was their signature legislation passed entirely by Democrats...and they need to own it.
    Last edited by DocSavageFan; 2016-10-14 at 04:51 PM.

Even if you take that road, the fact that it resulted in impeachment and billions of tax dollars spent on the topic, is not a reason to elect Trump. You can claim Bill was just as bad to get elected, but hindsight, not speculating during the election, should show you Trump is not worth electing. You cannot win this in favor of Trump, unless you ask people to ignore reality...

And be careful, if you bring up how successful Bill's terms were in spite of these accusations, remember who Trump is running against.
    Trump is running against somebody who's politics are more like Dick Cheney, which is why I find it nuts that so many people here who were bleeding hearts about bombing the middle east are supporting Clinton.

- - - Updated - - -

No. I'm saying that there is no documentation of such treatment by Bill Clinton. None whatsoever. A handful of accusations that were never determined to have an ounce of merit is not "documentation".

Meanwhile, with Trump, we have the actual things that Trump is on tape saying and advocating.
    Do you support regime change in Syria?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you support regime change in Syria?
    I think we may have just discovered the mother of all nonsequiturs.