Quote Originally Posted by Arrclyde-79 View Post
    At least you can SEE people. Without flight most people avoid being in the world at all cost, doing only the necessary.
    Besides... whats wrong with people flying around (i just ignore your very subjective 90% of the time)?
    Yeah between flight whistle + flight paths + CRZ + AFK in Dalaran you are lucky to see people from your own realm or guild. The immersion argument that was pushed back in WoD has pretty much flown away into the setting sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    This is how I feel too. Ground mounts were fine in Vanilla/TBC back when zones were designed for them and the terrain was placed around the roads. But every expansion since TBC has been designed for flight and WoD/Leg not having it at launch just feels like a colossal roadblock stopping enjoyment of the world.
    Vanilla and TBC maps were amazing for ground travel. The only zone that felt like a maze in BC was Blades Edge Mountain but even then the terraced areas were clearly marked and navigable by road ways. Compare to Spires Arrak in WoD which is supposed to be an earlier version of Blades Edge Mountain and it is catastrophically worse as a zone. The only redeeming aspect of that zone was the southernmost portion.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Vanilla and TBC maps were amazing for ground travel. The only zone that felt like a maze in BC was Blades Edge Mountain but even then the terraced areas were clearly marked and navigable by road ways. Compare to Spires Arrak in WoD which is supposed to be an earlier version of Blades Edge Mountain and it is catastrophically worse as a zone. The only redeeming aspect of that zone was the southernmost portion.
    The funny thing is that after WoD got flight Spires instantly became a much better zone as did the rest of them. Had it been in at the start WoD may even have been better than Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The funny thing is that after WoD got flight Spires instantly became a much better zone as did the rest of them. Had it been in at the start WoD may even have been better than Cata.
    Yeah Spires saw the biggest jump in improvement with flight because you could skip the mazes on the northern end and actually reach the western and eastern sides as well as the south. Best part of flight is being able to do objective in the nearby zones and jump right into Spires of Arrak for fishing pools or herb/mine gathering.

Even the daily garrisons were something you could do even if the reward was a paltry apexis and garrison resources. Because if I had a daily that day for fishing heading into the same or nearby zone I could fly nearby and do it with ease. Imagine doing that with a ground mount? You would have to go all the way around or even use a flight path and then use a ground mount Not worth it.

What crystallized and made it apparent how awesome flight is for an open world was the Halloween events and winter holiday events
    that were in the open world. Players didn't even bother when they were grounded with world events in no flying zones. But the Halloween event on the southern shore of Shadow moon valley saw a huge influx of players participating and even there was PVP for players desiring that. Same with the winter holiday event in Frostfire Ridge....how many players from Horde would bother going to the southernmost tip of Shadow moon valley from their garrisons's flight path? The shortest way there is to take a portal to Warspear and then use a flight path and even then the rest of the way you have to use a ground mount as Horde. For Alliance a similar thing with the winter event in Frosftifre Ridge and they had no Ashran hub to cut down on travel time. So, they would have to use a flight path from their garrison in Shadow moon valley to Frostfire ridge and then ride along on the ground in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    WHO is asking for a flight sim? Can you even quote a single person that wants the complexity of a flight sim? Do you even understand the difference between a fully dedicated game based SOLELY on the mechanics of flight, and simply tweaking how flight interacts with WoW in order to help with "Helicoptering"? Did the cannons in Ogri-la make WoW a flight sim? Did the kaliri birds? Did Netherwing races?

See, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about. You're so stuck on the idea that flight is bad that you can't even break out of it. You have to twist everything instead of actually comprehending what's being said.

What people hate on the ground is NEEDLESS dazing and dismounting EVERYWHERE. What I'm talking about are very specific, judiciously used mechanics similar to what is praised in Suramar. Do you not actually read what I'm writing?

Again, take off your Flight-Hater goggles and actually comprehend what I'm typing. Do you not understand the correlation between the mechanics of patrolling anti-illusion NPCs, and the suggestion of patrolling anti-flight NPCs? Does this just not get through to you at all?

- - - Updated - - -

That has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of flight, or in any way supports the idea that WoW is a flight sim. What is your point, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Adding simple, arcade-like movement controls to flying is what they are probably referring to. But apparently that's far FAR too complex for the wow engine to handle, much less the players. Despite the fact that we already do something VERY similar with a glider+emerald winds. And I don't see anyone up in arms about how that's ruining the game.
    You are reaching too much to try and prove people wrong at this point. I have very clear, specific examples of things that you, and others, have said that would bring this game closer to a flight sim and aerial combat style game involving mechanics of flight. Am I saying you are wanting the very specifics of a flight sim with ideas of thrust, lift, drag, weight ratio, etc? No, I simply pointed out that WoW is not a flight sim and the current game engine isn't made for things like you are asking for (there was a very specific blue post about why they could never make underwater raid work and feel entertaining and fun).
    You have also advocated for things such as cannons that knock you off your mount and let you parachute to the ground, as well as mobs that can hook you out of the sky. YOU have specifically asked for things like this, youve even asked for things like safe travel corridors, yet when I point this out you change your story to what you are asking for. I'm sorry, youve praised the mechanics of Suramar? More like used them as a backboard for why flight could work, yet you have even complained about mechanics from Suramar, specifically about dazing mechanics and dismounts. Your 2nd paragraph says "everyone hates daze/dismount," then go on to say "let's use Suramar as an example of avoiding patrolling guards that can daze and dismount you for flight!" You're so adamant at trying to point me out as a flight hater (which I'm not, my post you even quoted stated I enjoy it actually) that you can't even see the contradictions you are typing.
    Obviously I understand the correlation as I've stated you are talking about mechanics people complain about and want to avoid on the ground with flight, and how you suggest putting them in the air. Quit trying to prove I hate flight, when I do in fact like it, and start actually reading what I am typing and recognizing your own fallacies of your arguements. I've stated multiple times the game is enjoyable with and without flight, but people posting things like conspiracy theory, "Blizzard spite," and/or bad compromises to get what they want shouldn't go unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    And yet no different if you take a FP or teleport or stay on the road. A major difference is with flying, I can travel from "A" to "Z" and skip all in between if I want. I can also interact with everything from "B" to "Y" if I so choose. It's rather awesome in comparison to ground travel, teleporting or an AFK flight path.

The gamer for most cases interacts when they need to. Otherwise, avoiding the useless things even while leveling. However, this because more prevalent at max level as most things have become useless and not really worthy of your time. That doesn't mean they should be removed as others still need them. Just not a max level player.

You cease interacting with lots of things for various reasons. It boils down to Avoidance and that isn't a big deal when it comes to open world no matter how you pull it off. Gamers will interact with that they need to. Nothing wrong with that especially so at max level when so much of that old world leveling content isn't really worth the time. No reasonable excuse to not allow flying at that point or really shortly after reaching max level.
    MMORPGs is about cherry picking what you want to improve or do your character. Blizzard forcing players to pay a game on rails always fails. See Cataclysm for another on rails expansion. Without flying in Cata, it would have been the most on rails expansion easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    MMORPGs is about cherry picking what you want to improve or do your character. Blizzard forcing players to pay a game on rails always fails. See Cataclysm for another on rails expansion. Without flying in Cata, it would have been the most on rails expansion easily.
    Legion is the least "on rails" expansion.. You wouldn't have a clue though. You haven't played it.

So, how's Legion?

Wonderful terrain, I hear. Nobody needs flying.

Relaxing archaeology.

Superb world quests. Very varied, totally not boring. And it's so great to be traveling between them. In the "untrivialized" world, you know.

A true masterpiece, that Legion.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-10-14 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    So, how's Legion?

Wonderful terrain, I hear. Nobody needs flying.

Relaxing archaeology.

Superb world quests. Very varied, totally not boring. And it's so great to be traveling between them.

A true masterpiece, that Legion.
    Sounds like you read about Legion with no subjective bias at all. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Incorrect. You cease interacting with the game world, and for all intents and purposes, disappear from it for the duration of your flight.
    Exactly like when I'm taking a flight path which I am doing right now. At least with flying I have to pay attention to where I'm going.

Deleted
    I'm loving it. Enjoying the no flying world PvP too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Sounds like you read about Legion with no subjective bias at all. :-)
    Yeah, must be that.

Pity we won't ever know how many people are going to continue playing this stellar and innovative game which hits all the right notes (like getting the PVP balance right, I mean, who else can do it with such finesse as Blizzard, ...or take legendaries and the great artifact! ...or the superb order halls - with so much gameplay, you are going to die trying to see all of it) a month or so from now, because they stopped reporting these numbers. Otherwise we'd all have marveled at the added (tens of) millions, I am sure.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-10-14 at 04:29 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah, must be that.

Pity we won't ever know how many people are going to still be playing the game a month or so from now, because they stopped reporting these numbers. Otherwise we'd all have marveled at the numbers, I am sure.
    Yeah. The death of WoW is coming any decade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Exactly like when I'm taking a flight path which I am doing right now. At least with flying I have to pay attention to where I'm going.
    Point arrow on world map and auto walk. Don't lie and say nobody does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It seems like you're not that much of a fan of open-world cakes and prefer playing with the dog and feeding the cakes to him. The question is, should the baker really be making cakes for people who aren't that in to cakes?
    Isn't that the burning question of the century.

Well I've not played Legion yet, and people have been raving about how the open world is so much better than before, that might be a start. And it's not that I'm not a fan of open world, rather I am not looking for that 'living, breathing world' experience when I'm tasked to kill 15 boars for the umpteenth time. Let's rip the wax off quickly and get it over with instead of pretending it'll be better if we take it nice and slow.

I think you're taking it a bit far calling the dog a beloved, iconic mascot, particularly when the vast majority of cakes were consumed in no-dog rooms and, whilst it may not be a bother, there is certainly a strong sentiment that the best world-content cakes are made for non-dog consumption.
    I don't think it's far at all considering it's one of the few unique features that WoW can proudly boast. Few other games of this caliber have followed suit. IMO, it doesn't matter what the majority or minority of cakes were consumed in no-dog rooms when people can get cakes from any other no-dog bakery.

Yes, diners are given the opportunity to enjoy cakes without the dog gobbling them, and bakers are happy to bake tastier cakes knowing the effort won't be wasted.

Whilst there have been some gimmicky cakes that the dog wouldn't touch they've been just that, gimmicks, and not part of the core eating experience people expect from the bakers.
    And what is the core experience people expect from the Bakers? It's different from person to person, and the bakers have bent over backwards trying to please everyone. And on this one particular feature, they've gone the opposite route, opting to gate an experience to try and prolong the lifespan of their cakes. As weird as it may sound to you, for some people their core experience is eating cake in the company of the dog. Take away the dog and enforce a longer period of stay-time at the diner, and these patrons are left questioning the change in their experience, and the reasons they should stay.

I'm not saying the bakery has done wrong, or that what they did has made everything a worse experience. In all honesty, I see it all as a good thing overall. But I don't think it's the most elegant way of handling the situation, especially following a season where they opted to band the dog outright and where they were met with heavy criticism. I believe there are always other possibilities that could have been explored rather than opting the most direct and easiest route of removing the mascot. Hell, McDonalds even completely removed all their mascots (albeit due to a lawsuit) and their kid-friendly business is still going strong. But hey, if their business is strong and millions of other people are happy, then there's no reason anyone who is unsatisfied should say anything, right? (/s)

Like I said, I don't really care if the dog stays or goes (though I'd miss it if it went away permanently). I don't personally agree with the current state, and I have made arguments on both sides of the discussion. I just think it's too quick to dismiss criticism as if Blizzard's direction is free from all change. I'm not supporting a must-have-dog stance by any means, I'm simply pointing out the dog has a place in the bakery, as it did in years past.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2016-10-14 at 04:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Yeah, must be that.

Pity we won't ever know how many people are going to continue playing this stellar and innovative game which hits all the right notes (like getting the PVP balance right, I mean, who else can do it with such finesse as Blizzard, ...or take legendaries and the great artifact! ...or the superb order halls - with so much gameplay, you are going to die trying to see all of it) a month or so from now, because they stopped reporting these numbers. Otherwise we'd all have marveled at the numbers, I am sure.
    Oh god you're right. They better add flying today if they want to save it. #makewowgreatagain

Deleted
    Yeah, must be that.

Pity we won't ever know how many people are going to continue playing this stellar and innovative game which hits all the right notes (like getting the PVP balance right, I mean, who else can do it with such finesse as Blizzard, ...or take legendaries and the great artifact! ...or the superb order halls - with so much gameplay, you are going to die trying to see all of it) a month or so from now, because they stopped reporting these numbers. Otherwise we'd all have marveled at the numbers, I am sure.
    Seeing both the before and after edits of your posts is a bit like watching an emotional breakdown.

Oh god you're right. They better add flying today if they want to save it. #makewowgreatagain
    Nah, why turn a true masterpiece into a pile of crap! Why "trivialize" the game. It's fun to take a taxi, then go by feet to the quest loc, then the whistle, etc, etc. Adds atmosphere, you know.

Better add another great feature like allow a legendary to roll Sargeras-forged with +50% stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Runeforge View Post
    Seeing both the before and after edits of your posts is a bit like watching an emotional breakdown.
    Just expanding the thoughts.

But you're still in full control of where to go, as opposed to the pushed-in-a-wheelchair-to-destination method of flight paths. You might be thrilled every time you take that flight path, seeing the exact same route you've seen for the thousandth time, but most people aren't that special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    But you're still in full control of where to go, as opposed to the pushed-in-a-wheelchair-to-destination method of flight paths. You might be thrilled every time you take that flight path, seeing the exact same route you've seen for the thousandth time, but most people aren't that special.
    He Alt-Tabs, he just pretends you do the same while flying on a mount (he's wrong).

(My previous posts on the page were sarcasm, just in case, if there's any doubt.)

You still have to avoid mountains, max height, and check in on your position so you don't fly too far or totally off the map. When you take a flight path, you can leave the room your computer is in for as long as you want because you know you will be sitting at the flightmaster at your destination no matter how long you are gone.

You also have the ability to stop flying and go kill a rare, pick up a treasure, PvP (omg), pick up a quest you missed, anything else that pops up on the way, With a flight path, you see these things (if you are still watching the game), but there is no point in going back to them because its not worth the time, ad what you saw on the flight path will probably not be there when you ground mount your way back to it.

So there are many reasons to pay attention to what is happening in game when you can control flying. When you can't, you might as well not even be at your computer.