Which combo is the most profitable and useful?

Mining/JC or Herb/Alchemist?

I'm leveling my priest alt rn and want to go one of these 2 combos but I'm not sure which.

in my server herb is the most profitable prof now, but alchemist is only profitable when you have the rank 3 of the flasks and pots

As far as I can tell the only way to get rank 3 in alchemy is to make a lot of the potion/flask. So, yea it will be a loss for a bit over just AHing the herbs.

I assume though the proc rate is around 20% for 25% more yield on average?

Quote Originally Posted by sapit View Post
    Mining/Herbalist is by far the most money.
    If you have the time to farm.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most profitable? Herbalism + Mining.

Most useful? Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by sapit View Post

I'm leveling my priest alt rn and want to go one of these 2 combos but I'm not sure which.
    Question is too vague because profit is server specific. Its relative to the server demand and consistency and the supply and consistency. Either can be profitable in their own ways but you need to vette your server's AH for which has the better profitability now, and more importantly over the entirety of the expansion when you take into consideration (more anticipation really) how the expansion will goes from there. Either will make you money though.

If you go JC you're going to have a really bad time. That profession is fucking awful this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Most profitable? Herbalism + Mining.

Most useful? Engineering.
    How's Engineering useful? Or was that sarcasm :/?

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally useful. My engineer uses tinkers and Jeeves and the Dalaran AH almost every day. My tailor uses crafted equipment never.

Deleted
    herbalism for sure, youll get a ton of gold out of it.
    if its profit only: go mining, but herbalism > 10times mining.

Deleted
    I think best is herb and mining... there are tricks out there to mine very fast. You can make a tone of gold in hours on my realm

Quote Originally Posted by Tengokuq View Post
    How's Engineering useful? Or was that sarcasm :/?
    Mythic 15 thanks to Grenade Interrupts? *cough*
    Rezz Knife can be the saving grace on a dead rezz-class? Ever been forced to release on myth 10 Darkheart Thicket before Xavius with 3 minutes left? Happy walk of shame...
    Last edited by Barrin; 2016-10-14 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by subanark View Post
    As far as I can tell the only way to get rank 3 in alchemy is to make a lot of the potion/flask. So, yea it will be a loss for a bit over just AHing the herbs.

I assume though the proc rate is around 20% for 25% more yield on average?
    I've had about 40-50% more yield on healing/mana/rejuv potions, but the bonus rates could be different between HP/MP potions, combat potions, and flasks, so... make of that what you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Herbalism is a joke on Silvermoon-EU.
    There are Trains upon trains of gathering bots, mostly DKs and DHs.
    I average 1-2 Starlight rose/ minute. I am 800 herb, 2 star, and using stonehide leather barding.
    Too many bots and blizz doing nothing.
    Last edited by Bugg; 2016-10-15 at 05:37 AM.

Herbalism is ridiculously good right now. If you want to make money, going alchemy for your other and making/obliterating alchemy stones can make you quite a bit of gold at the moment.

Get on that herb train now, its probably going to sink with 7.1.

I can't really give you an answer because it really depends on your server. Before you pick, make sure to check prices of each profession. Websites that keep track of AH prices such as Undermine Journal can help. Keep in mind that these are also subject to change on a whim. For example, herbalism was the most profitable profession on my server, which got quickly replaced by mining.

I do recommend when you are leveling to pick double gatherer professions (IE: mining/skinning or mining/herb). Most of the mobs you are killing are skin-able and you bump into many many nodes by sheer questing. Once you are max you can go ahead and switch to a crafting profession.

It's worth keeping in mind that A LOT of folks are switching to Herbalism and with the Blood Vendor next xpac, prices will drop. How much, of course, remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Laggytoes View Post
    It's worth keeping in mind that A LOT of folks are switching to Herbalism and with the Blood Vendor next xpac, prices will drop. How much, of course, remains to be seen.
    The starlight rose price on my server has halved in the past week.

I think herb and mining are most profitable right now. If you dont have time to farm and you raid a lot, you can go for herb/ench. Atleast you wont pay for enchants and pots/flasks Anyway poeple using this method, kills the AH @ herbs, dunno about mining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIyFa5zQ1w