Deleted

Question Help me understand my bad performance

Hi,

I know there are a thousand post like this but I beg for your help to understand what I do terribly wrong or what is wrong with my items.

I was looking at some logs from last raid and I know I was doing bad, but I was not aware how bad I was doing until I used the compare option

log

and I saw what a Fire mage of my Ilvl can pull off in this fight...So, now I am sure I miss something BIG (like when I was Fury warrior and I was not keeping up enrage at all time.... ).

As I said I compared my fight with another fire mage around ilvl 850 and it's average DPS is like twice mine.

Please point out all the stupid things I do...like the fire bomb talent choice for the fight...

Armory
    Last edited by mmocc051c8ce20; 2016-10-14 at 01:48 PM.

Hard to know without a log or telling us what your rotation is. Your gear isn't too bad, I'd try to at least get 1800 haste (so you can fit another global in your combustion) and some new trinkets. Also Mark of the Satyr is better than Mark of the Claw by a very small margin.

Talents are situational, living bomb is fine on trash and fights with adds. Use RoP fairly liberally, don't sit on 2 (just be aware of when you'll need to save it for a boss in dungeons, and combustion for your burn phases). The biggest difference between a high DPS fire mage and low DPS fire mage is an effective use of combustion.
    Last edited by Acyllon; 2016-10-14 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Combined with a basic understanding of each ability you have. It's not that hard of a spec. Anyone who's having issues is either drinking or smoking too much. Or they should be focusing on games with less buttons of course.
    That's a pretty elitist and douchey thing to say. While the Fire Mage spec is rather simple comparatively speaking, just because you find something easy doesn't mean everyone else will.

For 13k posts you'd think you'd know how to be helpful without a condescending approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Combined with a basic understanding of each ability you have. It's not that hard of a spec. Anyone who's having issues is either drinking or smoking too much. Or they should be focusing on games with less buttons of course.
    My, that was truly insightful AND helpful - the condescending tone was also a nice touch.

Please sir, won't you entertain us some more with tales of your greatness?

P.S. With just over 13k posts, I'm sure you have some more pearls of wisdom to share with us, the peons of the mage class.
    Last edited by drsarcasm; 2016-10-14 at 04:40 PM.

I've got a question that is very relevant here. I notice the OP is using 2 "stat stick" trinkets. Both are underwhelming, except they add up to 1814 crit rating, which is a good bit of crit. In fact, I'm about 4 ilvls above the OP and have 450 less crit from enchants/sockets and 1814 less crit from my actual trinkets.

The trinkets I have are the DMF trinket the Chrono Shard. Both of which I thought were "good" trinkets and better than stat sticks.(PS: I also have both trinkets the OP has)

So my question is this. Even though his crit is high(way higher than mine actually) are his trinkets actually any good? I usually do very well on my damage meters(some background, I've switched guilds many times over the years, I'm usually always the top dps with any random people I play with unless they severely outgear me, and I've played most classes in raids(have all classes at max level), I have a team of mytic plus RL friends I play with this patch and over the years, and they outgear me and they historically do very good/top rated dps on warcraft logs, but I always stomp them in dps, and nobody I've played with has really beat me in dps at all this xpak).

Who is right? Should I just stat stick crit at all costs like the simple view on these boards seem to indicate, or should I stick with what most would consider mediocre crit, and use high the higher end trinkets recommended by most of the guides/sims?

Well, did you compare only damage or items too? I guess you should farm raids. Cause, your gear is not that good.

stat trinkets are bad... they seem good on paper but r bad.. your neck enchant should be the other one but still nothing to obvi.. i dont use confg i find that in my burn phase the other ability procs afew times and it gives more of a benifit imo... u r running keystone.. only run dht and nelt for the next 2 weeks for the trinkets in there it will help.. guildie has the oak one and its op as shit.. oh and maybe the other mage has ring or bracer leg?? the ring will keep him well past u in dps.. and sometimes its all rng with lining up comb/rop/trinkets.. i have sinew and it can proc for 2.5 mill or it can hit for 1.1.. in short 5 man fight thats pretty big

- - - Updated - - -

oh and 1 more thing.. he may be 2-3 lvls higher then u in his weapon traits.. there are some abilitys that when picked give u a nice boost but we cant see any of that

Quote Originally Posted by Acyllon View Post
    Hard to know without a log
    He did link one in his first post.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT:

Evidently I don't understand the concept of playing a mage these days...
    Last edited by -Raer-; 2016-10-15 at 04:38 PM. Reason: removing wrong information

Quote Originally Posted by -Raer- View Post
    Get HU/HS first (personally I get HS), then cast RoP followed by fireball. Just before fireball lets off, cast Combustion/on use trinkets racials whatever.
    This is also wrong. The only time you should ever cast combustion is at the end of a Rune of Power cast. Literally never anytime else. If you de-sync your combustion and rune of power by casting a fireball, that means your last 2 seconds of combustion (which is where you have 5 PI stacks and are hitting your hardest) don't have a rune of power, which is disastrous. That 1 extra crit from the fireball is no where near worth de-syncing your RoP and combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabwarrior View Post
    That's a pretty elitist and douchey thing to say. While the Fire Mage spec is rather simple comparatively speaking, just because you find something easy doesn't mean everyone else will.

For 13k posts you'd think you'd know how to be helpful without a condescending approach.
    Look at the recent threads hes made guys a weirdo just looking at that makes you realize why hes probably a douche, he hates life

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Raer- View Post
    You're not using Rune of Power and Combustion right. Off the pull, you're casing RoP before you have Heating Up/Hot Streak. Other times you're using Combustion before RoP, wasting the cast time of RoP. You should time your RoP so that it will come off CD just before Combustion.

Get HU/HS first (personally I get HS), then cast RoP followed by fireball. Just before fireball lets off, cast Combustion/on use trinkets racials whatever. Or if you're using Cinderstorm, use that and Combustion before CSt cast lands (if you do that right you will get 5 stacks of Pyretic Incantation and do some huge damage). Then it should go Pyro > FB > Pyro > FB(if off CD, if not FO then FB) > Pyro > FB > Pyro > FB/PF > Pyro > PF > Pyro ( this is probably slightly off, but pyro > fb > pyro > fb spam)

At that point RoP should be just about ending and Combustion maybe has 1 second left.
    you shouldn't be waiting for a heating up off the pull. without senew you pre-pot --> fireball --> boss is pulled --> rop/combust --> if the fire ball crit you fireblast, if not you pheonix flame + fb --> pyro --> fire blast --> etc.

with senew you pop your trinket then prepot, cast fireball twice (once pre-casting on pull) and then start your burn regardless of crit luck. and your bit about CST is completely wrong. you don't weave cst into your opener ever. i don't know a single mage parsing inside top 100 doing this or considering doing this

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    Look at the recent threads hes made guys a weirdo just looking at that makes you realize why hes probably a douche, he hates life
    Yep I can see what you mean, if I was a mod I'd probably ban him, community is better off without people like him, can't stand elitist people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choloz View Post
    you shouldn't be waiting for a heating up off the pull. without senew you pre-pot --> fireball --> boss is pulled --> rop/combust --> if the fire ball crit you fireblast, if not you pheonix flame + fb --> pyro --> fire blast --> etc.

with senew you pop your trinket then prepot, cast fireball twice (once pre-casting on pull) and then start your burn regardless of crit luck. and your bit about CST is completely wrong. you don't weave cst into your opener ever. i don't know a single mage parsing inside top 100 doing this or considering doing this
    I don't have sinew atm and this is exactly my opener, I feel pretty confident on the opener, and maybe I just feel bad because I don't understand the "compare" tool on logs...my main concern is at 850 iLvl with 61% crit I cannot burst over 600k and after that with the normal rotation, even if I am lucky and keep up the crit chain I fall to 180k avg dps, while I see ppl bursting almost 900k and keeping 250/280 avg dps, and I don't know if is my equip that is wrong or what.

As i Said the opener is "perfect", I do exactly what the majority think is the right opener(sometimes I fuck up because I am lazy and I use a cast sequence for rop+comb and sometimes it messes things up) and after that the rotation is brain dead, fireball till heating then Fireball with FB during cast ->PB and so on but the fact that the pyroblast crits for 380 TOP when I have 5 stacks of PI and when everything goes perfectly i throw 1 every 2 seconds...that makes exactly 180k avg dps

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drakorex View Post
    I don't have sinew atm and this is exactly my opener, I feel pretty confident on the opener, and maybe I just feel bad because I don't understand the "compare" tool on logs...my main concern is at 850 iLvl with 61% crit I cannot burst over 600k and after that with the normal rotation, even if I am lucky and keep up the crit chain I fall to 180k avg dps, while I see ppl bursting almost 900k and keeping 250/280 avg dps, and I don't know if is my equip that is wrong or what.

As i Said the opener is "perfect", I do exactly what the majority think is the right opener(sometimes I fuck up because I am lazy and I use a cast sequence for rop+comb and sometimes it messes things up) and after that the rotation is brain dead, fireball till heating then Fireball with FB during cast ->PB and so on but the fact that the pyroblast crits for 380 TOP when I have 5 stacks of PI and when everything goes perfectly i throw 1 every 2 seconds...that makes exactly 180k avg dps
    i'm sure there are some optimizations you could make with your cooldowns post-pull, but your gear is also really bad. fire starts to scale pretty hard at higher item levels, and our legendaries are really strong for DPS reasons and for quality of life reasons. having to hard cast pyro gives your fire blasts more time to recharge, dragon's breath gives you an extra button to hit. you'll notice that as you get gear, better trinkets, and relics that your dps will start to spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Toas View Post
    This is also wrong. The only time you should ever cast combustion is at the end of a Rune of Power cast. Literally never anytime else. If you de-sync your combustion and rune of power by casting a fireball, that means your last 2 seconds of combustion (which is where you have 5 PI stacks and are hitting your hardest) don't have a rune of power, which is disastrous. That 1 extra crit from the fireball is no where near worth de-syncing your RoP and combustion.
    close, but incorrect if you're using cinderstorm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choloz View Post
    but your gear is also really bad.
    never thought my gear was that bad, You mean the stats or the ilvl?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drakorex View Post
    never thought my gear was that bad, You mean the stats or the ilvl?
    your stats are more then fine, you have main 2nd stat crit on basicly every slot wich is amazing, maybe get bit more mastery on some slots, but for fights like nythendra it doesnt matter for dps