Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldon View Post
    Original lore? Mayhaps.

I'd say they could still squeeze out at least 6 more years on that though. Easily.

And then they can make new lore if they want.

They're already working on the two next expansions, so there's that.

That doesnt mean a thing. They worked on Titan for what, 10 years?

Deleted
    I strongly believe Blizzard had the story to the end of mop. When the pandaren were used too (starting from Chen) they started to make fillers/new stuff that was implanted in the form of time travel, which in my opinion in such a big way (an expansion, not just a portal dungeon like in TBC/WotLK/Cata) wasn't good anymore. Big time travel stuff ruins the story in most cases.

WoW's largely squandered opportunities over the years to create new characters. Had they introduced even one each expansion developed to transcend into future content we wouldn't be left with perpetually resurrecting the same villains while being whittled down to a handful of heroes who are so diminished in number there aren't many left whose deaths would be meaningful.

I thought they did a decent job with Yrel (and WoW's in desperate need of strong female leads), but unfortunately our interaction with her likely permanently ended when we left Draenor.

The class hall campaigns seem promising if Blizzard sticks with them. I was very pleased, for example, to see the return of the Ebon Blade and its major players from Wrath. Speaking of which, I still believe all the foundation is there for a 'return to Northrend' expansion.
    Last edited by Lane; 2016-10-15 at 11:34 AM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Uh...

This is Final Fantasys 2nd MMO arguably 3rd.

FF11 was an MMO.

FF11 Ended. WoW will end eventually too < Spoiler > : So will FF14

And again.

Preestablished Villans are the driving protagonists.

if Legion is Gul'Dan and Kil'jaeden

And Next expansion is say Azshara, N'Zoth, and Prophet Zul as filler

And by some miracle the one after that is Sargeras.

Whats left? Void lords can't manifest. N'zoth is their last bet in our characters lifetime. Keep in mind whats been going on has taken tens of thousands of years.

- - - Updated - - -

That all sounds cringe worthy and just dragging the story through filler content when we are starting to hit the climax of the story.
    It all depends how the develop the storyline. There are only so many plotlines for any story (even a novel). It is not so much the basic plotline that "makes or breaks" the story. It is always the character development and the individual plotlines and nuances that make it great. That is pretty standard story design.

I would like to see a basic Horde v. alliance x pac (since there has never really been one). Since the whole Horde v Alliance thing is the basis for the whole game.

wow lore

thats an oxymoron

It doesn't live within the confines of the RTS games.

Oh and btw

It has in every expansion though relied on pre-WoW established lore/ Factions/ Villans to drive the story, even in MoP.

Also Draenor / Outland , EK , Kalimdor, Northrend, Pandaria, Broken Isles are all referenced in the Pre WoW. Just saying.
    Highmountain, Shaladrassil, Stormheim etc. all new lore for Legion. Countless other examples.

They can pull continents out of thin air and be fine with it, it really isn't a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    It all depends how the develop the storyline. There are only so many plotlines for any story (even a novel). It is not so much the basic plotline that "makes or breaks" the story. It is always the character development and the individual plotlines and nuances that make it great. That is pretty standard story design.

I would like to see a basic Horde v. alliance x pac (since there has never really been one). Since the whole Horde v Alliance thing is the basis for the whole game.
    Same. A horde vs alliance expansion that just updates Kalimdor and EK to today's worldbuilding standards would be amazing. You could double the size of both continents without actually doubling the size of both continents... Because 50% of Kalimdor's land is bumpy, untextured hills between zones.

I have that strong feeling. Other than the Void and the Old Gods (blizzard pls) and a potential re-revamp of Azeroth, I really don't have much interest in future lore unless they pull out something really cool.

Legion feels very "all in" storytelling wise and that tells me they plan to do something downright crazy for the next expansion.

I don't think there is any lack of lore for WOW. If anything being an MMO they can drag the lore out as much as they want.

If they had done the legion invasion in the RTS this would have devastated much of Azeroth and whole zones and regions of continents would be Fel touched and corrupted. Key cities would probably be toast. But since this is the MMO they decided to just do the broken shore as the main location of the legion..... yet the broken shore isn't exactly crawling with them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    WoW's largely squandered opportunities over the years to create new characters. Had they introduced even one each expansion developed to transcend into future content we wouldn't be left with perpetually resurrecting the same villains while being whittled down to a handful of heroes who are so diminished in number there aren't many left whose deaths would be meaningful.

I thought they did a decent job with Yrel (and WoW's in desperate need of strong female leads), but unfortunately our interaction with her likely permanently ended when we left Draenor.

The class hall campaigns seem promising if Blizzard sticks with them. I was very pleased, for example, to see the return of the Ebon Blade and its major players from Wrath. Speaking of which, I still believe all the foundation is there for a 'return to Northrend' expansion.
    Strong female leads? Say hello to Sylvanas

No. With the new WoW lore books, they just extended their ability to tell stories almost indefinitely.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

The vast Majority of Cata and MoP was the 3rd Allaince and Horde war.

You serioous?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    No. With the new WoW lore books, they just extended their ability to tell stories almost indefinitely.
    Not really. Void lords can't manifest.

We still have the same villans.

Gul'Dan, Kil'jaeden, Sargeras, Azshara, and N'zoth

The vast Majority of Cata and MoP was the 3rd Allaince and Horde war.

You serioous?

- - - Updated - - -

Really, I thought Cata was more about Deathwing and MOP was more about Pandas, the Sha, the Thunderking and the last emporer. I know Blizz said they were focusing on the Horde v alliance theme, but that was not how it played out. I really don't see how anyone could look at either of those x pacs and say that the main theme of the x pac was Horde v Alliance.

Really, I thought Cata was more about Deathwing and MOP was more about Pandas, the Sha, the Thunderking and the last emporer. I know Blizz said they were focusing on the Horde v alliance theme, but that was not how it played out. I really don't see how anyone could look at either of those x pacs and say that the main theme of the x pac was Horde v Alliance.
    The vast majority of Cata 1-60 is the War against eachother.

Deleted
    Well how about Illidan comsumes the soul of Sargeras at the end of this xpac and will be the boss of the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Here is the problem with "expanding" the lore.

We have defeated old gods. We have defeated the legion. We will eventually defeat the most powerful titan, Sargeras. We will eventually fight void lords, etc.

It is an arms race and the enemies can only get stronger and stronger and stronger and once you get to god and titan level, there is really nowhere left to go.
    Here's the problem - you're expecting to wrap up Sargeras and the Void Lords in one expansion. i don't think that even at their most creative, hiring some of the best fantasy authors still living to pitch in, they could pull that off in a way that would be believable or entertaining.

We don't even know where Sargeras IS. We (Azeroth) have never seen him, face to face, only his avatar. We don't know that he's killable, as he's not a Titan anymore. Azeroth might not be enough to hold him in his real form - and you think one planet of beings - fresh off the heels of a war on another planet, and a devestating invasion by the Legion, is going to go wipe that out? And the "uncounted" planets he holds as well?

If Blizzard tried to pull that off I'd laugh my ass off at them and never take them seriously again as content producers.

Besides, they've telegraphed with the comic showing an old Anduin still fighting the Legion that we have a long ways to go, to end the current WoW storyline.

Don't get me wrong, there's breadcrumbs in the game for the conflict to escalate - the remnants of the Army Of Light are focusing on Azeroth, Velen's son is being called out as being very important in that regard, Velen is going back to Argus (which is kind of silly, there hasn't been enough time to rebuild his forces and his people to do more than annoy the Legion there), but it's going to be small steps towards that. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs have no intentions of there ever being a face to face confrontation with Sargeras, at least not in WoW. At least not one that we win. More likely is that we take out Kil'jeaden this time, and deal with his replacements in later expansions.

Besides, the artifacts are not weapons that make those who wield them gods or titans. They're just really powerful weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UserNotFound View Post
    Well how about Illidan comsumes the soul of Sargeras at the end of this xpac and will be the boss of the next one!
    We kill Kil'jeaden. As payback, Sargeras corrupts Illidan (more), and replaces Archimonde and Kil'jeaden with Illidan. Who knows more about both factions than is comfortable.

That's a Kosak level plot twist - wouldn't surprise me at all.

The vast majority of Cata 1-60 is the War against eachother.
    I just don't think if you ask most WOW players to tell you the story behind Cata or MOP, that the first thing they would say is "horde v alliance war." Even though cata did revamp the 1-60 zones, they are still considered "vanilla" content and I am still not sure that most of them focus mainly on the war. There is a lot of Deathwing stuff in there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    And we will lose / sacrifice our artifact at the end of Legion. At least that is what was told in Q&A pre release of Legion on the pod casts
    Yeah, and they said Daddy Hellscream would be the end-end game in WoD...we ended up teaming up with him.

Things can change...we could very well be keeping our artifacts beyond Legion and they can be expanded upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Yeah, and they said Daddy Hellscream would be the end-end game in WoD...we ended up teaming up with him.

Things can change...we could very well be keeping our artifacts beyond Legion and they can be expanded upon.
    if you couldnt tell Gul'dan was the primary antagonist from the start that is on you.

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't think if you ask most WOW players to tell you the story behind Cata or MOP, that the first thing they would say is "horde v alliance war." Even though cata did revamp the 1-60 zones, they are still considered "vanilla" content and I am still not sure that most of them focus mainly on the war. There is a lot of Deathwing stuff in there too.
    I really don't give a shit what joe and harry say because factually that is what it was.

Lack of lore wont be the deciding factor if World of Warcraft ever discontinous.

if you couldnt tell Gul'dan was the primary antagonist from the start that is on you.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't give a shit what joe and harry say because factually that is what it was.
    Well technically, you could make a case that the whole game is really about the "Horde v Alliance." However, the main focus of an x-pac refers to the storyline that the most playable content is devoted to. There has yet to be an x-pac in which most of the playable content was devoted to the "Horde v Alliance." It usually exists sort of in the background, I would like to see it brought to the forefront for one x pac.