Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Squad goals:

What are your sun and moon teams looking like so far?
    Last edited by 4KhazModan; 2016-10-16 at 01:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rowlett, Lycanroc Midnight form, Vicavolt, Salandit, Sandygast, Wishiwashi so far.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

15+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking about this while driving home earlier. So is anyone worried about the main series with Sun/Moon just over a month away? Let's be honest, Pokemon has been successful over the last 20 years because it's really the only legitimate type of that game on the market. And that's awesome. It come in strong, established itself through not only the game series but the anime as well. Through the years, while the overall game has been improved upon, the core ideas have always been the same.

Now with Alolan on the horizon, we have quite a few new features on the way. Some of which are just improvements on existing systems, some are new features that have been discussed before, and some are "changes" to the core concepts. For example, the lack of gyms to me is on the fence as a good/bad idea. On one hand it'll be a nice change of pace, but the flip side of that is was it really necessary at all? The new typings of classic mon, the apparent story line differences between the two titles, Z moves. These can be looked at a neat new features, but could they also ruin the game?

Like I said, Pokemon has carved a nice place out in the market, and it has a hugely dedicated fan base. I'm not saying by any means that Sun/Moon will be a commercial flop because fans are guaranteed to buy it. But what concerns me is this is truly the first time that enough features are altered that I can see a main series title being a critical flop. I mean every generation has like a 80% or better rating, which is huge especially of a 20 year span. I'm not trying to be a doomsayer, I know the main series isn't going to die, I'm just curious if anyone else has considered this a possibility with two days left before the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Squad goals:
    What are your sun and moon teams looking like so far?
    Ninetails , Raichu , Kommo-o , Popplio , Marowak , Tsareena

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Pokenchi didnt have anything new. Not surpirising.

Seems like Tsareena really is Bounsour in a way. It's prissy, and gets frustrated with its trainer if they make mistakes.
    My squad looks like it could be any number of things:
    Hard to put it into a list atm.

I wonder where the Demo will start. Will we be on an island and start with the Battle Bond Greninja?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    I was thinking about this while driving home earlier. So is anyone worried about the main series with Sun/Moon just over a month away? Let's be honest, Pokemon has been successful over the last 20 years because it's really the only legitimate type of that game on the market. And that's awesome. It come in strong, established itself through not only the game series but the anime as well. Through the years, while the overall game has been improved upon, the core ideas have always been the same.

Now with Alolan on the horizon, we have quite a few new features on the way. Some of which are just improvements on existing systems, some are new features that have been discussed before, and some are "changes" to the core concepts. For example, the lack of gyms to me is on the fence as a good/bad idea. On one hand it'll be a nice change of pace, but the flip side of that is was it really necessary at all? The new typings of classic mon, the apparent story line differences between the two titles, Z moves. These can be looked at a neat new features, but could they also ruin the game?

Like I said, Pokemon has carved a nice place out in the market, and it has a hugely dedicated fan base. I'm not saying by any means that Sun/Moon will be a commercial flop because fans are guaranteed to buy it. But what concerns me is this is truly the first time that enough features are altered that I can see a main series title being a critical flop. I mean every generation has like a 80% or better rating, which is huge especially of a 20 year span. I'm not trying to be a doomsayer, I know the main series isn't going to die, I'm just curious if anyone else has considered this a possibility with two days left before the demo?
    No

I was tempted to go for "/10chars" but hell I'll expand a bit. In my opinion the series needs a fresh wind and a lot of the changes in Sun & Moon seem to bring that. I wonder how do you expect Z-moves, slight alternate stories between titles or Alolan forms to "ruin the game"?

The only concern of yours that I would put any real stock into is the lack of gyms as it is a step away from one of the most core concepts.
    However ask yourself: What is a gym? For me, a gym is a maze containing some manner of puzzle with trainers to battle along the way and at the end of it awaits the gym leader, a boss battle. Now I don't see why island trials couldn't fulfill that purpose. The maze does not need to be trapped inside a building. The boss battle does not need to be a gym leader. Far too often is said maze actually a tad too simplistic for my taste. Sometimes the early gyms don't even contain a puzzle aspect. My hope is that expanding the "gym" onto the whole island allows these mazes & puzzles to be more complex.
    So in the end, maybe it wouldn't have been necessary but I fully expect it to be a nice change of pace, as you put it. I can't see how it could possibly ruin the game.

I agree @Nelvar . The relatively awful reception of ORAS showed the 20-year old franchise needs some fresh ideas. I can't get over how much of a disappointment ORAS was....

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree @Nelvar . The relatively awful reception of ORAS showed the 20-year old franchise needs some fresh ideas. I can't get over how much of a disappointment ORAS was....
    Would you go so far as to say M-Sceptile was not worth enduring ORAS for?

10+ Year Old Account
    How was ORAS a disappointment? It was a remake. Anyone who was disappointed had unrealistic expectations. And that's a really weird thing to say when you are referring to a remake of a game where you can easily see the quality of the original.

I still haven't beaten ORAS, but I am not disappointed in my purchase. Gen 3 is my 2nd least favorite gen. It's decent but Hoenn is a pretty shit region. Even so, having a version of Gen 3 post physical/special split was worth the 40 dollars.

As for being worried about Sun and Moon, I guess you could say that I'm a little concerned because they are changing the path of the game in a pretty drastic way, but honestly Pokemon does need to spice things up even if as a hardcore fan I am fine with it staying as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    How was ORAS a disappointment? It was a remake. Anyone who was disappointed had unrealistic expectations. And that's a really weird thing to say when you are referring to a remake of a game where you can easily see the quality of the original.

I still haven't beaten ORAS, but I am not disappointed in my purchase. Gen 3 is my 2nd least favorite gen. It's decent but Hoenn is a pretty shit region. Even so, having a version of Gen 3 post physical/special split was worth the 40 dollars.

As for being worried about Sun and Moon, I guess you could say that I'm a little concerned because they are changing the path of the game in a pretty drastic way, but honestly Pokemon does need to spice things up even if as a hardcore fan I am fine with it staying as is.
    I think the expectations were high for some people because of the stellar remakes of gen 2. It seemed to me at least that HG/SS managed to add more to Johto than ORAS could do for Hoenn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

The only Oras problem was to much TMs. ...they could fix that with new mehanics (like you see in sun and moon).

I just finised Dragon quest 7 yesterday (bonus bosses need a lot of grid) and its similar situation. The game could use some bravely - sec/def fixes.

However games like zelda remakes are fine as they are.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    It was?! The only negative thing I remember was the "too much water" from IGN.
    I love the game, far more than X/Y, though I would have liked at least the cosmetic stuff in ORAS.

I regard to my team, movepools, availability and names (mix of german/english/japanese names) aside I want the Gras starter, A-Marrowak, Mimikyu(the sad, lonely ghost) and the fighting Dragon. The ground-type Horse, Ash-Greninja (depending on it's ability) or A-Sandslash (depending on movepool) maybe as a 6th. The pecking bird with Skill Link might also take the spot (again depending on movepool).
    Also thinking about a pure electric team, kinda depending on how Kapu-Rikis ability works. A pure Iceteam might be nice, too.
    It also depends a bit on how they change Movesets of older Pokemon. A strong non-recoil physical electricmove for Jolteon or Klinklang would be super-nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm beginning to love the flowing/free animation style they are using in the SM anime. And the Z-moves look incredible. Especially Kiawe and Turtonators seen in the latest trailer. But I'm wondering, is the symbol that appears in front of the pokemon/trainer actually there, or is it just for the viewer?

- - - Updated - - -

We know that the aura from the z-move is possibly there, as the mega energy is visible when mega evolving, and regular evolution produces a glow.

- - - Updated - - -

TIL Arcanines JP name is Windie.

My expectations were high for ORAS. Gen 3 is my 2nd favorite gen and the hoenn games are the games I have played the most. After HG/SS, I was super excited to go back return to hoenn, but what I got was an experience so familiar I felt like I could literally play it with my eyes closed. Delta Episode was pretty shit until the last part where you actually fly on Rayquaza into space. They put a copy/pasted battle maison in place of the battle frontier....they also took out the rematches from Emerald and I hated the new Maville design and the simplification of Granite Cave. Then they decided getting certain TMs or items should be locked behind randomly spawning islands as well as certain legendaries while just gifting you Latios/Latias (which was an insult to the hunt of the original games)

Yes, soaring was great. Yes, I love Mega Sceptile and the Elite Four with megas, but I just wanted more.

Does anyone have a legit brave Hoopa?

- - - Updated - - -

Or the ability to generate one at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Does anyone have a legit brave Hoopa?

- - - Updated - - -

Or the ability to generate one at least?
    No one can generate legit Hoopa.

Legal yes, but not legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    No one can generate legit Hoopa.

Legal yes, but not legit.
    Yes, generating it was of course referring to a legal one. I was the one who established those terms in this thread, Lahis.

I dunno, i think the anime looks cool.

Tho i don't watch it (stopped before xy) I think it looks nice.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will know in 2 days....just wait for dataminers.
    Don't sweat the details!!!