Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Allowing the media to pick and choose what is acceptable for the public to see is extremely questionable considering the relationship that purportedly exists between the media and the body which is being reported on. If such a relationship exists, there is a clear conflict of interest.
    He's not saying you can't read wikileaks though. The OP is just being silly.
    You can however not hack your goverment and see whats in there. Thats not ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    If you can't see how this is apple and oranges, I can't help you.
    She can't pass up the opportunity to whine about liberals.

He stated it's illegal to possess that kind of material, then stated that for the media, it is different. So ... OK. OP read into this a little much. The anchor could have said something like "The media can possess these documents, but the public cannot. So here we are, telling you about the documents", for clarity.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    That sounds ridiculously similar to what's happening right now.
    There is a strong case that that is precisely what goes on now. Governments wish not to be tyrannical, BUT...

When you combine a lack of Mens Rea in the legal system, as in you can be tried for committing a crime even if the crime is something you could not possibly realistically be aware of and an ever present surveillance state I find it hard to imagine anyone seriously would suggest that it isn't what goes on.

If the laws are so numerous that not even a crack team of skilled lawyers can keep track of them all and their is now defense of "I could not have reasonably known it was illegal," then you can bet your ass that the State will become a means to get rid of and control undesirables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Might as well be reading the Onion if you're reading CNN anymore. I avoid it like the plague unless I want a good laugh.

Deleted
    how can you read something you don t have ? mmo champion is sending info to my computer at this very second so i can interact with this web site

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosfraba View Post
    He stated it's illegal to possess that kind of material, then stated that for the media, it is different. So ... OK. OP read into this a little much. The anchor could have said something like "The media can possess these documents, but the public cannot. So here we are, telling you about the documents", for clarity.
    You have to understand though, that WikiLeaks is a website, and when people go on that website and open those documents, they are then immediately in possession of said documents, hence what is being said is that if you go on WikiLeaks and read those documents, you're doing something illegal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    If you can't see how this is apple and oranges, I can't help you.
    Well yes, obviously Wikileaks is a Satanic tool in league with Dark Lord Putin in his evil quest to harm her Radiance, and Light unto the Nations, Hillary.

BUT, be that as it may, If only CNN or a handful of media outlets owned by and even smaller number of conglomerates are the only people allowed to look at Wikileaks, then likely we won't know anything that a peculiar class of people wants us to know.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    He's not saying you can't read wikileaks though. The OP is just being silly.
    That's not quite how digital information works. You cannot 'read' wikileaks without creating, and therefore possessing, a local copy.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    "Illegal" and "immoral" are not synonyms.

Haha that's honestly pretty funny. Clinton news network.
    Fox News would say the exact same thing. It is not a liberal vs conservative thing, here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I wonder if the same Liberals who now defend the mainstream media did so in the early 2000's as the government beat the drumbeat for war in Iraq?
    To humor you, no I didn't really defend the drums for war. Not much you can do. At the same time though, social media wasn't that strong as it is in the 2010s.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There's astoundingly little in the emails that actually incriminating at all. Especially the Podesta ones. Its just an unfiltered look at the sausage making of running a national party. People are confusing gossip with scandal.
    Sausage making when it comes to policy = Media doesn't want to know about it
    Donald trump talking about his Sausage = 24/7 wall to wall coverage!

This topic, while it does have a connection to the election, also has serious implications when it comes to transparency in government. If we do not have a functional 4th estate, then we have lost a critical part of our system of checks and balances.

Wikileaks has revealed that private interests basically nominated Barack Obamas entire cabinet long before he was elected president. These people have incredible power over the government, and nobody in the corporate media is willing to investigate this.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    That's not quite how digital information works. You cannot 'read' wikileaks without creating, and therefore possessing, a local copy.
    well you could read it on someone elses computer, then they are the ones in possession, not you. right? :P or is that not a loophole that works?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mainstream Media did fail but not in the way you think. You probably believe CNN is the only guilty one. It's all of them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Sausage making when it comes to policy = Media doesn't want to know about it
    Donald trump talking about his Sausage = 24/7 wall to wall coverage!
    Not sure what you expect anyone to do with something like this. I get it. You don't think the media is fair to Trump.

This topic, while it does have a connection to the election, also has serious implications when it comes to transparency in government. If we do not have a functional 4th estate, then we have lost a critical part of our system of checks and balances.
    Spending time reporting on what amounts to political gossip doesn't strengthen the 4th estate, it weakens it.

Wikileaks has revealed that private interests basically nominated Barack Obamas entire cabinet long before he was elected president. These people have incredible power over the government, and nobody in the corporate media is willing to investigate this.
    Hardly. Some had a strong notion of who he'd nominate. Those nominees still went through the same normal process everyone else does. Again, none of this is surprising because these people do in fact talk to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I wasn't aware that "possess" and "read" were the same word. You learn something new every day.
    To a lawyer those can quickly become the same. See, when you download a file to read it, you possess it. Displaying it in the browser probably doesn't, but I know some lawyers who seriously suggest that since it's in your computer's ram, you are possessing it for the duration of displaying it.

Pretty fucked up, I know, but it's a valid viewpoint until some court decides it's bullshit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Once its published you can read it through the press just fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, he did not say that. Stop lying.
    Can you at least pretend to add something constructive to the discussion? Seriously...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    SOOOooo this threads pretty bunked already... I mean.... who may or may not have seen them here?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Once its published you can read it through the press just fine though.
    Who decides what is and is not the "Press"?