Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by fcc View Post
    Time to buy out all the cheap gems and re-sell them when the exploiters get banned
    Maybe, or it could take a while for that to happen and you could end up with hundreds of Saber's eyes you can't move

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Maybe, or it could take a while for that to happen and you could end up with hundreds of Saber's eyes you can't move
    Yeah very possible, maybe buy a small amount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    But remember guys Blizzard says duping doesn't exist

Because it really does not.
    There's no way to straight up dupe an item in WoW. You can't select a spectral tiger and magically create 2 spectral tigers out of nowhere.

However, there are exploits that allow you to get far more items than intended.
    Remember the Grumpus exploit, that re-rolled the gift box contents each time you peered inside it?
    This is exactly what an exploit is. You could use it to manipulate the box's contents until you got the mount.
    This way a mount with an intended 1-2% drop rate became 100% drop rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    Because it really does not.
    There's no way to straight up dupe an item in WoW. You can't select a spectral tiger and magically create 2 spectral tigers out of nowhere.

However, there are exploits that allow you to get far more items than intended.
    Remember the Grumpus exploit, that re-rolled the gift box contents each time you peered inside it?
    This is exactly what an exploit is. You could use it to manipulate the box's contents until you got the mount.
    This way a mount with an intended 1-2% drop rate became 100% drop rate.
    The Sabers Eyes themselves are crafted. Only way your analogy would work is maybe an exploit for prospecting the mats to make them? So maybe they can prospect the same ore until it gives what they want? idk just guessing.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by fcc View Post
    Time to buy out all the cheap gems and re-sell them when the exploiters get banned
    Blizz will delete duped items
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    And that, my friends, is how the markets work.

Calculate your risks and compare them to possible profits. If it checks out buy a plethora... if it doesn't don't.
    You will have a rick on losing out regardless. In the financial markets it's called speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Blizz will delete duped items
    1) can blizz ID a duped item? If so, how? If so, why dont they scan and delete them on a regular basis.

2) If a buyer purchased a saber's eye in trade chat for 5K. And that eye was actually duped, are you saying Blizz would just delete that from buyers inventory and thus buyer (who did absolutely nothing wrong) is punished by losing their 5k ?

why no blue posts on this obviously effed up situation.

Like I said, if I had leveled my JC instead of my enchanter, I would be FURIOUS that Blizz allows duped materials as I would have been stripped of alot of the JC gold making opp at start of expansion ,

Crafted items are the most likely things to be subject to ... whatever it is that isn't "duping," but instead, "crafting without consuming reagents." The most famous of these in recent history was the ... was it MoP? ... DM card exploit. That was a major mess on realms where it was in widespread use.

In general these exploits are addressed with permanent ban waves; sometimes first time offenders who haven't done more than try it out a couple of times manage to keep their accounts. If you use one of these exploits and it's a publicly known exploit (mentioned on "that" web site) then you will not almost certainly but totally certainly experience a severe and most likely permanent account action in a day or a week or a couple weeks or even a month and change down the road.

Deleted
    same , i get alot of dupes but i made a blizz ticket, they fixed for me

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    Crafted items are the most likely things to be subject to ... whatever it is that isn't "duping," but instead, "crafting without consuming reagents." The most famous of these in recent history was the ... was it MoP? ... DM card exploit. That was a major mess on realms where it was in widespread use.

In general these exploits are addressed with permanent ban waves; sometimes first time offenders who haven't done more than try it out a couple of times manage to keep their accounts. If you use one of these exploits and it's a publicly known exploit (mentioned on "that" web site) then you will not almost certainly but totally certainly experience a severe and most likely permanent account action in a day or a week or a couple weeks or even a month and change down the road.

Im confused. I always thought duping was a hacking of source code or data at the binary level.

Are you saying duping is simply taking advantage of a known software bug in gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    Im confused. I always thought duping was a hacking of source code or data at the binary level.

Are you saying duping is simply taking advantage of a known software bug in gameplay?
    Items are accounted for by the game server, not the client. However, actions that affect items are initiated by the client. In order to provide a good play experience, the client is allowed to do some things without the server acknowledging them immediately. In some cases the client simply tells the server what's going on.

For example, the game client contains the map and handles movement and collision detection and so on. The WoW client basically tells the server where you are. To understand why it works this way, you only have to remember the early days of Diablo 3, where the server was involved in movement and the result was "World of Rubber Banding." However as a result of the way the WoW client works, if you can figure out how to modify the client appropriately, you can move arbitrarily around the world and map. Thus the era of "movement hacks" especially during Cataclysm. This is not trivial to do because there are extensive protections built into the game software that make the client difficult to modify.

There are simple forms of movement hacks that will probably always work ... you will notice that if you unplug your Ethernet connection or disconnect from the network in some other way (using some kind of application), you will still be able to move, for a while. If you are mounted you will be able to move as though you were mounted, in non mounting areas like indoors, because (last I checked) the client does not control mounting/dismounting -- you can see this if you are on a high latency connection, because when you try to mount, the cast will take a long time. I don't know if this still works, but back in Cataclysm, the easy way to get to Jadefang was to go to the cave entrance on a flying mount, disconnect from the network, quickly fly through the cave to the ledge, then reconnect. Everyone who has played WoW has experienced this "partially disconnected" state at one time or another ... you ride through the world but there are no mobs etc. because the client has to get the locations of mobs from the server. This is sort of exploit-y but isn't something that Blizzard can do much about because it's a consequence of how the underlying TCP/IP stack works.

Exploiters become excited when they find an obscure series of actions that causes the client to abruptly disconnect, because this often results in an inconsistent game state. These exploits get patched and players found to be using them generally receive permanent bans. For probably the most infamous example in WoW history, google for "make the special herb."
    Last edited by Foj; 2016-10-23 at 07:43 PM.

^^^

great explanation. thx

Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    But remember guys Blizzard says duping doesn't exist
    Blizzard is probably correct in saying that there is no way to make an outright copy of an in-game item, as in to "dupe" it.

However, the process of crafting items has been littered with exploits and will probably stay that way. By "crafted" I mean any item that is created by interaction with another item or set of items. For example, items that are created by clicking on tokens are crafted. This is certainly how all the excess non-TCG mounts have been created over the years. Players find ways to cause inconsistencies between the way that the server counts items and the way that the client counts items, or manage to create messed-up items that work like the real thing without consuming the real thing. (Don't play around with this unless you are prepared to lose that entire battle.net account because you probably will.)

There are also plain silly exploits, like the Sunreaver/Kirin Tor chests that you could buy for 15 coins, partially loot, then sell back, then buy again, et cetera. Those are dumb oversights by the developers.

Anyone found to be using crafting exploits, even tentatively JUST ONE TIME, is probably going to get a permanent ban. On the other hand, if you discovered the chest exploit and only used it once, mostly likely no big deal.

No one has publicly explained how the excess TCG mounts (and pets) have been created and no one ever publicly will, at least not for years and years. There is too much actual $$ involved, and with that comes the possibility of actual criminal litigation (fraud/mail fraud). However the supply seems to have dried up. I should have bought that $600k epic spectral tiger but whatever. I did get an EST.

Finally there are occasionally total brainfarts by developers that create irresistible opportunities for players. Two that come to mind (out of many!) are the great Xmas-New Years Tol Barad f-up, and the Brief Return of the One-Shot Shockadin. In the first, in Blizzard's increasingly frantic attempts to balance Tol Barad, Blizzard made win trading the only rational strategy for Tol Barad. It really didn't matter if you thought it was icky. Everyone was playing TB that way and so that's how it went for several days. Much honor was grinded. The second, Holy Shock had a significant scaling problem at some point in MoP (I don't remember exactly when) and it was a sure-fire way to one-shot most players in 80-85 BGs as well as a great way to DPS as Holydin in Cataclysm dungeons. Might have worked similarly at lower levels but I don't know. There have also been other tuning gaffes; there are numerous trinkets out there still remaining to be exploited in Timewalking (even though dozens have been nerfed already). In general no one is going to get banned for using these unless something like ranked PvP or high-end raiding is involved.