Thread: Hunters in PvP.

Deleted

Hunters in PvP.

Hi guys!

As the title says, how are hunters in PvP currently and what is the best spec to roll ? Currently rolling MM but I keep reading BM and Survival.

If anyone can answer that be lovely.

Best for what? Arenas? Random BGs? Rated BGs?

Ok, this is my opinion, but bear in mind that I'm not a hardcore PvP'er. I do play PvP a lot, but not on a competitive level.

- BM: I think it's the most versatile right now. I don't play this spec, so I don't know how it feels, but fighting them in other specs makes it clear that all those pets do a lot of damage quick. I find them pretty annoying to fight.

- MM: It's pretty good, but vulnerable due to its limited mobility. If the enemy focus on you, you are pretty much gimped and will struggle to survive while hoping your friends save you.

- Surv: Now this is a weird spec, but I've been enjoying it a lot since I got used to it. With the right talents, this spec becomes a pretty good counter to ranged classes. Harpoon, Hunter's Net and traps are just awesome to keep a flag carrier or caster under your reach. I find them nice to kill healers as well. Weirdly, doesn't fare well against melee, mostly due to its pretty weak defensive abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    My how times have changed. MM gone from being the most mobile spec in game in PVP to not very mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    My how times have changed. MM gone from being the most mobile spec in game in PVP to not very mobile.
    Just to clarify: you can be mobile, but your damage will be really low. With the right talents (Sentinel, Barrage or AMoC, Piercing Shot) , you can even burst while mobile, but for a very short time window. Not taking Sidewinders in PvP helps with mobility (for instance, True Shot allows you to throw a barrage of Arcane Shots and Marked Shots).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Best for what? Arenas? Random BGs? Rated BGs?

Ok, this is my opinion, but bear in mind that I'm not a hardcore PvP'er. I do play PvP a lot, but not on a competitive level.

- BM: I think it's the most versatile right now. I don't play this spec, so I don't know how it feels, but fighting them in other specs makes it clear that all those pets do a lot of damage quick. I find them pretty annoying to fight.

- MM: It's pretty good, but vulnerable due to its limited mobility. If the enemy focus on you, you are pretty much gimped and will struggle to survive while hoping your friends save you.

- Surv: Now this is a weird spec, but I've been enjoying it a lot since I got used to it. With the right talents, this spec becomes a pretty good counter to ranged classes. Harpoon, Hunter's Net and traps are just awesome to keep a flag carrier or caster under your reach. I find them nice to kill healers as well. Weirdly, doesn't fare well against melee, mostly due to its pretty weak defensive abilities.
    Thank you! When I look at the ladder for 3v3 all I see are Survival hunters and a few BM so I am not sure what spec to pick yet. Currently am Marksman and got my artifact to ilvl 805.

I played some jungle with my friend and a random healer recently, really low rated, but just to test out how survival works with it. It does surprisingly well, able to ice trap is super nice to cc healers and such, I'd recommend you give it a try. BM hunters are nice but for some reason it felt off to me, maybe because melee cleaves are really strong right now

Basically, BM is our only real viable spec atm in pvp. Mainly due to pure mobility and the fact we can LoS kite melee while our pets beat them down.
    MM is way too immobile and the PvP damage penalties are really harsh and with a lack of CC and tools in our kits, cant really shake melee or duel them. Some specs you can run a build/spec for a little mobile burst, but its not enough, not compared to melee burst/uptime. Mainly the lack of tools and bad lack of mobility in the kit really hurt MM.
    Surv is ok, but really soft with limited defenses. Has good tricks in kits and some solid damage, but like said, doesn't trade too well with other melee as it does need a few gcds to ramps up.

Deleted
    Alright I'll give both a try, is it a problem if my Artifact Weapon is lower ILVL than my gear? Cause I put all of my points in my MM Artifact..

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, BM is our only real viable spec atm in pvp
    Correct when it comes to Arenas, incorrect for BG and RBG. MM can be a Beast in RBG with a lot! of unavoidable ( physical, instant, not dispellable ) aoe damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehija View Post
    Correct when it comes to Arenas, incorrect for BG and RBG. MM can be a Beast in RBG with a lot! of unavoidable ( physical, instant, not dispellable ) aoe damage.
    I noticed that!

Bm good in arenas. Pets do good damage on their own and are often ignored. Pick a target and send them off right at the start. Its a nice disruption when people are trying to get set if they are playing passive.

MM. Find a nice big enemy group and cleave them all to doom. Sidewinders, market shot and barrage does a lot of damage in a small window. It's great for groups following flag carriers. The heals are going to have to focus on the FC making it easier for the rest of your team to pick off others.

Both specs have limited defensive options and are SoL if caught with them on CD.

SV involves unloading everything you have and hoping the other players HP hits zero first.

This works well enough in arenas, if you cause an early mismatch it's usually GG but BGs involve more frequent encounters where you could be caught with your pants (CDs) down.

No traps, little mobility, little healing.. it's not great. Doable with some LOSing, but definitely not a golden age of any kind.

Keep in mind with MM, Aim Shot, Crows, Barrage, and Windburst are reduced by 60% and Marked Shot by 50%. Barrage hits like a wet noodle in PvP. MM is not great in RBGS as its very easy burn target and awful guard now, Its AoE damage from SW+MS is solid and based off rng proc, but its not enough to warrant it. If you are just doing normal BGs, then MM is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Keep in mind with MM, Aim Shot, Crows, Barrage, and Windburst are reduced by 60% and Marked Shot by 50%. Barrage hits like a wet noodle in PvP. MM is not great in RBGS as its very easy burn target and awful guard now, Its AoE damage from SW+MS is solid and based off rng proc, but its not enough to warrant it. If you are just doing normal BGs, then MM is fine.
    Would you recommend rerolling if I were to play mainly Arenas?

If you want to do MM in arena and actually push any type of arena, you're gonna have a bad time. But BM is ok (even getting a 10% agility nerf in 7.1). Surv with right teammates should do ok as well. MM is fine for casual PvP/low rated stuff.

Hunter is bad right now - even BM. Our survivability is really bad and our gap/kiting is even worst. The latest updated 7.1 has not helped - actually worsened it. As if Posthaste was so OP its duration needed to shorter. Lol. Time to break out the Lock, Mage, Rogue depending on which hunter spec you prefer - lol. We are definitely in the bottom half maybe even bottom quarter of classes for pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontheking View Post
    Would you recommend rerolling if I were to play mainly Arenas?
    Yes.

/10 something

Deleted
    For BG MM and BM are good.. as BM you can fight most classes one on one.. MM will top damage of most bgs if you are half decent..

Sadly in arena MM is not great.. easy to.. los.. easy to train and lower his damage..

BM was good.. high damage burst.. can do damage on the run.. hard to los etc.. didn't bring much else but was good in a cleave comp..

Sadly blizzard has nerfed agility by 20%.. so we now lack tools but the burst damage which was our main + also took a massive hit..

I don't get it.. other classes like frost dk.. enhance have more burst.. more tools.. its just blizzard being blizzard. You don't nerf what makes a class viable and give nothing in return

Deleted
    I just went in random BGs as MM dint complaint manage to kill both poor rogue and mage in same time but i will not recommend you to use sidewiders there
    For arenas no point to play hunter