Deleted

Would quantum computers improve gaming performance?

If yes, how?

I know nothing (too complicated!) about this upcoming technology.
    Does anyone know how much promising it might be for gaming?

I think actual binary tech is limited and cannot stand a certain amount of calculations.

Would quantum CPUs be godlike in comparison?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quantum computers are like an extreme multithreaded CPU with very little single threaded performance. If you want to process large amounts of predictable numbers then a Quantum Computer is right for you. Maybe Quantum Computing might be good for graphics processing but as a CPU it's a downgrade. Unless there's some new method to create amazing AI with Quantum Computing?

Deleted
    Depends if you try to determine the position and velocity of your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    If yes, how?

I know nothing (too complicated!) about this upcoming technology.
    Does anyone know how much promising it might be for gaming?

I think actual binary tech is limited and cannot stand a certain amount of calculations.

Would quantum CPUs be godlike in comparison?
    It depends on what part in gaming.
    Can it make graphics more photo-realistic? Yes, absolutely. Global illumination will become substantially easier to solve (still won't be trivial, but easier) due to Grover's algorithm.
    Can it make AI better? Yes. But current games are not gated by this anyway, so quantum computer is not the tool to improve it in games. If game developers wanted to have some good AI right now they could use deep learning techniques which have become quite popular lately and are performing really well.
    Can it add more content to games? No. You can use it to procedurally generate content, but nothing prevents game developers from doing it now anyway.
    More stable netcode? No. Error correction in quantum computers is, well, complicated.

Deleted
    when they become consumer grade products, people will find stuff to do with them, including gaming. the ways in which they will be used are likely hard to imagine even for experts in the field, i doubt the maker of pong could imagine modern hardware and games for example. we are currently in the cathode tube era of quantum computing, the transistor equivalent has yet to be invented.

the only real question is when (if?) they will become consumer grade products. to which the answer is probably decades rather then years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    when they become consumer grade products, people will find stuff to do with them, including gaming. the ways in which they will be used are likely hard to imagine even for experts in the field, i doubt the maker of pong could imagine modern hardware and games for example. we are currently in the cathode tube era of quantum computing, the transistor equivalent has yet to be invented.

the only real question is when (if?) they will become consumer grade products. to which the answer is probably decades rather then years.
    I don't see it ever happening. Google is making specialized chips for AI, and that could be the next era of computing. Then we'll have special cards like the old PhysX cards that was used to get more realistic physics in games, until Nvidia bought them out.