Thread: Heroic Brawl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    sounds pretty good, 5 (or at least 4) wins shouldnt be too hard, 6-7 is already a decent profit

10-12 is a jackpot

I will probably try it after the next expansion comes out and after Ive used at least a few thousand gold on regular new packs though .. and the new meta semi-stabilizes

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a strange reward structure. Feels more like a goldsink to get people to gamble away the gold they've saved up, with the best rewards likely going to the players who need them the least. I'd rather see something designed as more of a catchup mechanic for newer or less active players.

I've got nearly 4k saved up so I might give it a shot, but I don't particularly want anything else from WotOG and will probably benefit more from spending it on the next set. I'll have to wait and see how the meta shakes out.

Why is everyone complaining about the cost ? The game is already pretty much a gambling scheme. You can dump a $100 into packs and get nat pagle and millhouse manastorm...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    sounds pretty good, 5 (or at least 4) wins shouldnt be too hard, 6-7 is already a decent profit
    It will be difficult for the majority of players. 4 or more wins puts you in the top 34% of entrants and considering only people with 1000 gold to throw around will enter they are going to be better than your average Joe. 5 or more wins and you're in the top 23%.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Why is everyone complaining about the cost ? The game is already pretty much a gambling scheme. You can dump a $100 into packs and get nat pagle and millhouse manastorm...
    Because this particular scheme has a massive negative return on your investment if you pay with gold. 100 gold = 1 pack in value, that pack could contain anything so the average value of the packs is 100 gold each in the long run. This tournament is 1000 gold to enter but the average prize value is only 711 gold so unless you figure yourself as a Hearthstone God or are doing it for another reason such as streaming it for entertainment value it is not worth entering in terms of value for gold. https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone...ern_brawl_2nd/

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    It will be difficult for the majority of players.
    I think that's pretty much the point. It should not even appeal to that majority.
    It's not for me. HS is pretty casual, but it's nice that they give a bit of a wink to the higher end of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    - When this special mode is running, there will not be a regular Tavern Brawl.

No thank you. Why remove this? Tavern Brawl is one of the only reasons I even play HS anymore.
    I agree with this. Make it it's own thing. Don't take away the fun of many for the fun of few.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    I am done with HS... After old gods expansion release, everyone play sick C'Thun decks and now this?

I am done...
    You are not the only one, my friend. All the people that I know + me included, are really really disappointed seeing some of the changes and ideas. We are still playing, but only from time to time. Blizzard is totally ok with that. Not so long ago they've said that they want players to play new expansions, but they are free to play other games too. The same goes with HS - as long as You are coming back to check out the new content, it's fine.

I think that GWENT, Elder Scrolls Legends, Duelyst, Faeria, Chronicle: Runescape Legends are all getting more and more popular and it's a good thing Great card games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    You are not the only one, my friend. All the people that I know + me included, are really really disappointed seeing some of the changes and ideas. We are still playing, but only from time to time. Blizzard is totally ok with that. Not so long ago they've said that they want players to play new expansions, but they are free to play other games too. The same goes with HS - as long as You are coming back to check out the new content, it's fine.

I think that GWENT, Elder Scrolls Legends, Duelyst, Faeria, Chronicle: Runescape Legends are all getting more and more popular and it's a good thing Great card games.
    The worse thing is, i just back at the end of march and really enjoyed game... Until old gods expansion was not release because mostly people now use only C'Thun decks.

Maybe i will back check only on new adventures, but nothing more. Karazhan is really fun, but that changes to bar brawl and arenas? I hope only they will not ruin HOTS soon making ranked hero brawls thing like they did with arena brawls in HS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I think that's pretty much the point. It should not even appeal to that majority.
    It's not for me. HS is pretty casual, but it's nice that they give a bit of a wink to the higher end of competition.
    So what's supposed to happen then? Nobody plays?

However you spin it the majority of the entrants will get fewer than 4 wins. If somehow they see the future and decide not to play then the majority of the remaining people will find it difficult to score 4+ wins. Objectively saying it will be easy makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    So what's supposed to happen then? Nobody plays?
    However you spin it the majority of the entrants will get fewer than 4 wins.
    Only those who've grind their hearts out and have the gold to spare. And some other folks with some cash burning their pockets.
    It's not a gamble: some people -particularly those using cash- will join and get ravaged, increasing the odds of the experienced players.
    In a sense it's a tournament format with a hefty entrance fee. Rewarding those that like that cutting edge competition. I don't enjoy that, so I won't play it; but it's a nice wink to those few who do.

This is not much different than the casual/elitist debates we've had for years in wow. Often framed as casuals ruining everything; only this time it's the casuals, the majority, complaining that a one week event is not targeted at them.

edit:
    There's also a 3rd group: streamers. Some of them will get their horde of followers to pay for it. So it also promotes twitch and such, which is a great source of entertainment these days.
    Entertainment >>> gold efficiency.

- - - Updated - - -

They just pulled a soonTM: it's not this week.
    Maybe that'll get them time to take the feedback and modify the reward structure. Or not, who knows.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-18 at 06:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I will give this a go once just to see how I will do, problem is I can't decide whether to be a scum bag and jump on the Shaman train or go for control warr to counter them.

Deleted
    Well at least the pro thinks it's a nice addition. Getting good win rate will show skill for sure imo.

I don't mind it as long as they make the normal tavern brawl also available.

this will make HS streams decently more entertaining

imagine reynad running this LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I agree with this. Make it it's own thing. Don't take away the fun of many for the fun of few.
    Naxx 60 for HS, except this time Naxx 60 is removing a HS equivalent of a 5 man or questing zone.

- - - Updated - - -

People who are saying it will be easy to get 7-12 wins are ignoring the fact that just because everyone thinks it will be easy kind of forget the later you progress the more you will be matched with people of similar skill. You have have to beat 7+ people, which automatically means 7+ people have to be defeated. You are only afforded 3 losses, what makes you think that when multiple players that you might go against who have a really good chance at 7+ wins won't end up making you one of those 7+ defeated players?

100 good players = 700+ other defeated players at 7+wins. Just in that small theoretical sample size that ends up being a lot of players having to lose. Care to wager your chances that you won't end up exhausting your only 3 loses within that large scope of games?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I think what a lot of players are complaining about is that this isn't just a stand-alone feature aimed at competitive players that affects no other part of how casual players play HS. Heroic 'Tavern Brawl' takes away the catchup mechanic casual players have via a free pack for a week, or casual players looking to fill in gaps for epics and legendaries (or free dust to craft them) from cards in that free pack. That process is now going to be slowed down simply due to a feature aimed at 'hardcore' players.

This thing isn't even remotely related to actual Tavern Brawls so that is another reason of why it makes no sense to cut almost a fourth of the real Tavern Brawls more casual players get each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Heroic 'Tavern Brawl' takes away the catchup mechanic casual players have via a free pack for a week
    I can see the catchup concern. But I'm not very persuaded by it.
    There's a lot to unpack on what catchups are, and what they should be. Catchups can easily become a transient feature: once you've caught up, you're done, so it becomes a rather meaningless feature. They need to constantly tweak how fast that happens.
    How fast people catch up is among the statistics they track, and they, not us, set the levers on how fast it should be. If they think we're catching up too fast, it's understandable that they slow it down. Ultimatelly, I really don't know what it should be set at; it's a complex fine tune dealing with player engagement and enjoyment.

The pack from brawl is always classic. It's the oldest set, and the one players are bound to complete faster. I personally have all classic rares and commons, and I suspect the majority of players do too, or are close to at least that. This renders the brawlers pack as essentially 40 dust a week (plus advancing the pity timers towards some eventual legendary/epic). It's a pretty lame catchup all around.
    Which is not surprising. Because that pack was not intended, or advertised as a catchup. It was a bit of a lure to get it going. And it was said to be rewarded only during the launching weeks. They simply never took it away, so we've come to understand it as a given.
    That leaves aout the really new players; those with only a few weeks on their backs. And, quite frankly, I've no idea what devs think about that. The brawl is already in a weird spot by having to level some class to 20 (which is a major hurdle for a new player) to start playing it. Maybe it's too confusing, or the tech is not there yet /s.

A more essential and effective catchup, one we've mostly forgotten, was the 10 or 12 packs they gave on WotOG. It was with the premise of having some cthun synergy already going. But the timing made it a great feature: when it's most needed to catch up. If you were swimming in gold or cash, you'd get the entire set; if you didn't, you'd get some free 1000+ gold in packs plus a legendary at the beginning of the xpack so you could start building some decks right away.
    That is decent catch up. The brawlers pack is meh, at best.

In any case, I agree with your greater point, and I'd prefer if it was its own thing, rather than take the regular brawl away. Not because of the pack, but because of the brawl itself.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-19 at 02:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    People who are saying it will be easy to get 7-12 wins are ignoring the fact that just because everyone thinks it will be easy kind of forget the later you progress the more you will be matched with people of similar skill. You have have to beat 7+ people, which automatically means 7+ people have to be defeated. You are only afforded 3 losses, what makes you think that when multiple players that you might go against who have a really good chance at 7+ wins won't end up making you one of those 7+ defeated players?

100 good players = 700+ other defeated players at 7+wins. Just in that small theoretical sample size that ends up being a lot of players having to lose. Care to wager your chances that you won't end up exhausting your only 3 loses within that large scope of games?
    What these people are thinking is that from somewhere out of nowhere there will be millions of no-name dumbasses willing to throw away 1000 gold on a negative value tournament and that's what will make it "easy" for the rest of them.

What they're forgetting is that this is very unlikely to happen and they're actually going to be playing each other for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    The worse thing is, i just back at the end of march and really enjoyed game... Until old gods expansion was not release because mostly people now use only C'Thun decks.
    This isn't a new thing. I see less C'thun decks than I would see Zoolock or Face Hunter. In fact, the only C'thun decks I've seen lately is priest really.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is trying to drain people's gold before releasing next expac, they don't want you to buy pack with gold but with $$$. and perhaps people with load of cash might drop a $10 into it.

As everyone said, this is a very bad value proposition, and given this is constructed, nowhere near an even ground for all player. It will strongly favor meta decks, and people having access to the card they need for those deck.

losing against yet another face shaman when the entry fee is so high, and the reward only break even at 5 wins, this is an exercise in frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Blizzard is trying to drain people's gold before releasing next expac, they don't want you to buy pack with gold but with $$$. and perhaps people with load of cash might drop a $10 into it.

As everyone said, this is a very bad value proposition, and given this is constructed, nowhere near an even ground for all player. It will strongly favor meta decks, and people having access to the card they need for those deck.

losing against yet another face shaman when the entry fee is so high, and the reward only break even at 5 wins, this is an exercise in frustration.
    Yeah I'd tend to agree with that as well. It is easy to get a lot of packs for the next expansion even if you aren't doing arena at all. I save 200g then buy a pack on the third hundred gold & keep that process up in between a new adventure or expansion. I was able to buy Kara with gold right away (well as far as you could with week long locks, but I had the gold available from week 1, and I always have around 40 or more packs for a new expansion right away with this strategy. Currently I am 36 worth of packs for the new expansion with only spending every 3rd hundred on anything.

So seems legit that Blizz wants people to blow their gold if they would have any hope of suckering people that actually have legit plans of amassing cards right away as f2p players.

Deleted
    This isn't a new thing. I see less C'thun decks than I would see Zoolock or Face Hunter. In fact, the only C'thun decks I've seen lately is priest really.

Yeah I think the same. If you check the % played games of each class, you can see, its close the same for all. Sure, Warrior still the most played class but we see much more Paladins and Priests. So the balance of the game got a nice middle now.