Thread: Diablo 4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Having to redo your whole character because you picked a "wrong" skill is poor design though, they need to keep the rune and skill system from D3, going back to the way D2 is or trying to recreate it would be a technical step back and most people I know would never play Diablo 2 again.
    which was fixed with respec tomes.

I don't like the whole "let me pick your stats for you, X and Y are your useful stats the rest are junk" mentality of D3. True that the paragon system tried to address it but we should've been able to do it from the beginning. Death felt less punishing in the new system, most of the D3 difficulty was false difficulty meaning that instead of boss and mob tactics and dps rotation we mostly had to grab good gear so we could progress in the game, the story was good in general but the way it was narrated was silly and everything after the skeleton king was kinda light hearted imo. (compared to the depressing atmosphere of D2) with villains like Azmodan just taunting you and telling you their plans like a cliche saturday cartoon villain and talking alot with you like you are their equal. (D2 villains didn't talk much, there wasn't much communication between you and the lords of evil, it added to their badassery.)

RoS fixed most of the issues but some of the issues like the first one i mentioned could not be fixed because they are part of the game's "Core" design. I think Blizzard messed up D3 but they partially redeemed themselves with RoS, which is a good thing. As an old D2 fan I am really looking forward to see what the future is for the Diablo franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    which was fixed with respec tomes.

I don't like the whole "let me pick your stats for you, X and Y are your useful stats the rest are junk" mentality of D3. True that the paragon system tried to address it but we should've been able to do it from the beginning. Death felt less punishing in the new system, most of the D3 difficulty was false difficulty meaning that instead of boss and mob tactics and dps rotation we mostly had to grab good gear so we could progress in the game, the story was good in general but the way it was narrated was silly and everything after the skeleton king was kinda light hearted imo. (compared to the depressing atmosphere of D2) with villains like Azmodan just taunting you and telling you their plans like a cliche saturday cartoon villain and talking alot with you like you are their equal. (D2 villains didn't talk much, there wasn't much communication between you and the lords of evil, it added to their badassery.)

RoS fixed most of the issues but some of the issues like the first one i mentioned could not be fixed because they are part of the game's "Core" design. I think Blizzard messed up D3 but they partially redeemed themselves with RoS, which is a good thing. As an old D2 fan I am really looking forward to see what the future is for the Diablo franchise.
    Well I would not count on the skill and rune system going away, however you probably will see way more skills/runes per class. Also those tomes were limited, once you ran out that was it.

Well I would not count on the skill and rune system going away, however you probably will see way more skills/runes per class. Also those tomes were limited, once you ran out that was it.
    no it wasnt. you made respec tokens with drop mats. i used to sell heaps of them on d2jsp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    no it wasnt. you made respec tokens with drop mats. i used to sell heaps of them on d2jsp.
    Well that isn't too bad. I think a hybrid system would work well too.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Why do so many people think they'd jump ahead to Diablo 4 so soon? News flash: they wouldn't! Aside from expansions, new games in any series Blizzard has made are many, MANY years apart. We're far more likely to receive a second expansion than we are a full sequel.

It took 11 years from Lord of Destruction for Diablo III to come out. It's been four years since D3, and two since Reaper of Souls. Which seems more likely to you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Why do so many people think they'd jump ahead to Diablo 4 so soon? News flash: they wouldn't! Aside from expansions, new games in any series Blizzard has made are many, MANY years apart. We're far more likely to receive a second expansion than we are a full sequel.

It took 11 years from Lord of Destruction for Diablo III to come out. It's been four years since D3, and two since Reaper of Souls. Which seems more likely to you?
    Irrelevant.

Blizzard has become a much larger company than it was before. The amount of releases has risen substantially. We used to get one title from Blizzard every 2-3 years, now we got overwatch, Legion, Heroes of the strom and Heartstone in only 2 years.

D4 is much more likely then an expansion build on a story that was done.

I'm not getting baited into playing a D3 expansion, sorry Blizzard. Also, Brevik was in Irvine only for the '20 years' Diablo video that will run at Blizzcon. Personally I feel like they fucked up and missed an opportunity by letting him go to PoE.

Also, the "I'm proud to be the adviser for the game that pushes this genre to new heights." was a pretty subtle and sick burn imho lol
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-10-18 at 04:58 AM.

If Diablo 3 is any indication on how they'll handle story, art and gameplay of a potential sequel, then I'd rather they just can the series. The whole thing was just cripplingly mediocre and not worth to carry the name Diablo.

Path of Exile is the true heir to Blizzard North's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    If Diablo 3 is any indication on how they'll handle story, art and gameplay of a potential sequel, then I'd rather they just can the series. The whole thing was just cripplingly mediocre and not worth to carry the name Diablo.

hellgate london sequal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    hellgate london sequal.
    Am I fucked up for liking Hellgate London for as long as it initially lasted? :P

I have to agree with you. D3 never had what D2 had, to me. I think doing away with synergies, which basically gave D2 a second life, paired with LoD, was the biggest mistake they could make. Build diversity and versatility might still exist, but locking your character into a build was lost. It's thát aspect that gave D2 such a long life. Not to mention it had fun mechanics, like Crushing Blow, changing the entire dynamic.

I do think PoE has taken it too far. Especially with currency. I'm a fan of the old D2 trading system, but PoE basically takes that and added several multipliers. Not to mention that I'm not really a fan of their uniques. The skill system is just glorious though and I have the habit of spending money each 'season'.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-10-18 at 07:59 AM.

Am I fucked up for liking Hellgate London for as long as it initially lasted? :P
    For its time it was an amazing game. Iv loaded it up as recently as last year and powered through it. I think a modern version of it could go far.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    witcher III / skryrim type game set in the Diablo world....
    This would be my hope, but it would take a much bigger hiring spree than they've had so far, and it would take 4-5 years to release, minimum. And I'd wait for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried that game. I installed it, and saw a chat filled with racist comments and a lot of 'Hitler did nothing wrong." in chat.

Logged off, threw out the game files. Never even considered going back. This was 3 months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that isn't too bad. I think a hybrid system would work well too.
    It just reminds me of the tomes in WoW when changing talents. I personally don't mind how D3 works right now, but I think it sorely needs more added to it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It just reminds me of the tomes in WoW when changing talents. I personally don't mind how D3 works right now, but I think it sorely needs more added to it.
    I have a feeling Diablo 4 isn't going to be announced anytime soon anyways, likely it will be another D3 expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post

The 11 year wait is irrelevant. They took that long because they made a D3 at Blizzard North, that was rejected by Vivendi, and then Blizzard North shut down when the key developers left because of that, and the series was turned over to the Irvine group. That ate up 3-4 years. Then, they tried again internally in Irvine - and that was scrapped as well, and rebooted into what they released. The development history of the game is not "business as usual" and shouldn't be used as a template for expectations for the future.

It's the same as when people bellow "Diablo II only got one expansion, D3 will only get one!". The developers of D2 have stated in many interviews, they wanted to do another expansion, but decided to try for D3 instead - which failed.

Nobody knows what their plans for the franchise are - but basing it on "D3 took 11 years" with no comprehension of WHY it took 11 years is laughably wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling Diablo 4 isn't going to be announced anytime soon anyways, likely it will be another D3 expansion.
    I don't really know what will happen but when I said added more to it, I meant anything. Expansion, new game whatever works

Some character customization would be nice though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'd like them just to announce Diablo 1 remastered. I'd also be fine with Diablo 2 remastered announcement too I guess. HD would really be nice, I'd hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post

I have to agree with you. D3 never had what D2 had, to me. I think doing away with synergies, which basically gave D2 a second life, paired with LoD, was the biggest mistake they could make. Build diversity and versatility might still exist, but locking your character into a build was lost. It's thát aspect that gave D2 such a long life. Not to mention it had fun mechanics, like Crushing Blow, changing the entire dynamic.
    I've tried to figure out why D2 was so addicting, and D3 I get burnt out before mid-season hits. I havent really figured it out yet, but there are clues - and I think the class set are a big part of the problem. One of the things I like about leveling in D3 is I can try different talents and still be viable - I've made some wierd ass bullds leveling that were surprisingly effective - and fun - but once I get to the sets, I'm locked into specific builds and spells, and i hate that - they built a great system to explore builds...and then locked everyone out of it.

Another issue is crafting. Most of it is crap. No, really, it is. Once you get to legendary gems, normal gems just pile up in inventory, and making gear? LOL. Nope. I can't remember the last time I made anything I actually used. Anything else is a grind for DBs in the cube.

I like D3. Loot 2.0 saved the game, but it needed a lot more for long term. I don't regret buying it, I played it up to the last season (Didn't bother this season), and I probably won't be back for the next season. It needs more...everything. It's a very shallow game, compared to D2 - they give you a taste of what used to be, but that's all. I think they can save it, but who knows what their plans are, I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks. It's one of the best selling games of all time, so they should be interested in keeping the franchise alive - but it's in what form is the question.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    I'd like them just to announce Diablo 1 remastered. I'd also be fine with Diablo 2 remastered announcement too I guess. HD would really be nice, I'd hit it.
    It's already happening. They're hiring for the remakes of Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft 3. Go to their careers page, and look at the 'classic games" listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Most people who have been looking into it speculate an expansion or add-on for Diablo 3 that lets you go back in time to Diablo 1 and 2 areas that will be announced at Blizzcon.