Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really can't agree.
    Fair enough. However I am having a hard time figuring out where the tension is supposed to be in the show. The directorial style contributes to my sense that the show means to present danger.

What is the danger? Who cares if Ed Harris blows away hundreds of robots? Am I supposed to feel bad for Thandie Newton's fake scripting?

I find it difficult to care about anything happening in the show based on the premise. So far. I'm still early on in watching so this is just my initial reaction and disinterest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fair enough. However I am having a hard time figuring out where the tension is supposed to be in the show. The directorial style contributes to my sense that the show means to present danger.

What is the danger? Who cares if Ed Harris blows away hundreds of robots? Am I supposed to feel bad for Thandie Newton's fake scripting?

I find it difficult to care about anything happening in the show based on the premise. So far. I'm still early on in watching so this is just my initial reaction and disinterest.
    It's all based on a book and film from the '70s, so while they're changing stuff, it's been pretty clear where they're heading from the outset; things will go to hell and the hosts will "rise up" against the guests.

You're not supposed to feel "tension" regarding the guests and their time enjoying the park; do you feel "tension" about a family visiting Disneyworld? No, you feel tension for their horror when Disneyworld starts to kill them. That's what's coming, and the horrors they visit upon the hosts to enjoy themselves is what is going to give the audience cause to feel that, just maybe, they deserve it.

Underlying all this are some pretty complex points regarding the development of AI and the impossibility of keeping it under control. Sam Harris did a recent TED talk on the development of AI that underscores what Westworld is doing pretty well; the gist is that 1> we're gonna keep improving out computers until something makes us stop doing so, 2> sentience and self-awareness is achievable, since we achieved it through continuous evolution, using nothing but the power of mistakes (as Westworld keeps driving at), and 3> the combination of those two means we'll keep pushing that boundary until we cross it, and after we do, it's a matter of time before we lose control, since evolutionary time scales for improvement are on the order of tens of thousands of years, while for computer code, it's minutes/hours at best. Sure, we might be smart and keep things offline, to start. But eventually, we'll get comfortable, we'll make ONE mistake, and then the AI genie is out of the bottle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to rewatch the episode but did Dolores get shot at the end of that episode but take no real damage or have any real wound much like a guest would? Or did i just not see it right?

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paarthurnax View Post
    I'll have to rewatch the episode but did Dolores get shot at the end of that episode but take no real damage or have any real wound much like a guest would? Or did i just not see it right?
    I've only watched the episode once, but I got the impression on my first viewing that that was memory bleedover from prior iterations.

Loving the concept so far! Its beautiful as well. So much better than the 70s version.
    My prediction is Ed Harris is Agent Smith - a discarded host that has turned into a Virus. I support this by saying that all the hosts he interacted with in the first episode are going off script and "crazy."

All the "people" you think are working there are actually androids as well including Bernard. His son is just his backstory.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paarthurnax View Post
    It was a memory. She also had same with her father.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how we got another Hemsworth brother from this show lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Plus when you can just freely murder hosts, what's the point in murdering real people??? :O
    Maybe every time you go to Westworld, the same Jabroni runs over and takes Delores. After the 5th visit and $200,000, you've had enough of that guys shit and so you take initiative to get your Delores.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned how we got another Hemsworth brother from this show lol
    I swear they are all clones at this point.

Really liked the most recent episode. The tie-ins with the old movie are becoming more apparent (still need to go back and give the movie an honest go though).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I swear they are all clones at this point.
    I know this is off-topic as such but Luke doesn't look much like his brothers, at all.

https://i.imgur.com/7mEBmVW.jpg

I mean, Chris and Liam bear a clear resemblance, but if the third guy in that picture was called "Luke Smith" or something, nobody would connect him to the Hemsworths. Any similarities that people pick up on between him and his brothers are most likely there just because we see what we want to see, and we know he's their brother, so we expect him to look like them.

But yeah, if they were "cloned", then they certainly changed the mold after the first try (Luke is the oldest.)

The proud parents, by the way:

https://i.imgur.com/uXCc0ex.jpg

I think Luke has got much more of his mother in him and the younger brothers resemble their dad more.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-18 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I know this is off-topic as such but Luke doesn't look much like his brothers, at all.

https://i.imgur.com/7mEBmVW.jpg

I mean, Chris and Liam bear a clear resemblance, but if the third guy in that picture was called "Luke Smith" or something, nobody would connect him to the Hemsworths. Any similarities that people pick up on between him and his brothers are most likely there just because we see what we want to see, and we know he's their brother, so we expect him to look like them.

But yeah, if they were "cloned", then they certainly changed the mold after the first try (Luke is the oldest.)

The proud parents, by the way:

https://i.imgur.com/uXCc0ex.jpg

I think Luke has got much more of his mother in him and the younger brothers resemble their dad more.
    They look like mom.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can see the resemblance when they are side by side, Luke is "failed" prototype.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    They look like mom.
    Really? Chris and Liam clearly have their father's eyes, and I'd say their ears, forehead and nose are much more closer to their father's than to their mother's. I suppose it's a matter of perspective then.

Anyways, that's enough off-topic on this matter from me.

Just saw a fan theory that Ed Harris is :Jimmi Simpson 30 years in the future which is why the logos are different and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Just saw a fan theory that Ed Harris is :Jimmi Simpson 30 years in the future which is why the logos are different and stuff.
    Except the last episode kind of pokes a gigantic hole in that theory. Delores, who now has a gun and is clearly changing, has a memory bleed-through of the Man in Black, freaks out, runs, still possessing the gun, right into Jimmi and his friend, proving that the Man in Black and Jimmi's character are existing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    I was watching last night when it struck me, could the people who tend to the hosts, Bernard and Ashley for instance, be advanced constructs, completely unaware that they too are nothing more than the creations of Dr Ford?
    I think gun guy is a robit. The 'part of my origin' line seemed a little on the nose and if you notice the host hits him but instead of hurting her he commits sudoku. He also despises the hosts a bit too much, like self loathing
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked this episode but they continue to go sideways more than they build on what they've done already.

- - - Updated - - -

Also that was a lot of Kachina dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I liked this episode but they continue to go sideways more than they build on what they've done already.
    I'd forgotten about this, as @Fencers isn't a fan, I felt this episode might push people off that were borderline or wanting a reason to give up on the show. I gave Mad Men 4 episodes and Breaking Bad 1 full season before giving up, and it felt... I don't want to say too fillery, but didn't seem to push the narrative as much as it probably should have.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Well, everyone has their own preferences. A show might be 9-10/10 according to pretty much everyone else on the planet, be beloved by pretty much everyone and be critically acclaimed, but it doesn't mean one personally has to like it. It just means that it's more than likely that if one's opinion about said show is that it's not good, then that opinion is not exactly correct.

Of course, Westworld specifically hasn't exactly earned those kinds of praises quite yet, but I was referring to shows in general.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-19 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just state that the show does have some pacing problems in my opinion, but I enjoy it because of all of the video game references and because I am interested in seeing where the story goes. Some great acting as well.