Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Its important to make sure you are getting enough to drink every day. I know it can be hard sometimes (I'm pretty guilty of this myself lately), but not getting enough fluids can really screw with the sodium and creatinine levels in your blood. I get blood work every Monday and Thursday and these are two levels my doctor has expressed concern over and told me to drink more. I've been told its a minimum of 8 glasses at 8 oz. each per day. It might be more depending on your body weight, but that's at least a good starting place.
    My wife, who's a certified nutritionist, likes to tell her clients to drink "half your body weight in ounces". Even this is over-simplified, of course. Like you said, good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    this is a load of class a bullshit as hyponatremia is caused by low salt levels.
    One of the properties of water is its ability to dissolve salt. Things like sweating, peeing and defecating all remove salt from our bodies. Overhydrate and your salt levels drop.

This last Saturday I drank 3 liters of water in way less than an hour and survived. I also ate a small bag of jalapeno pretzel pieces coated in hell's spices that likely demanded all that water. Still since we have tap water I drink lots, I have a 1 liter bottle I refill twice a day, a few more times on Fridays and Saturdays when I occasionally eat snacks coated in spices from hell.

Y'all act as if water poisoning happens by accident lol. Drink too much and you'll just go to the toilet more often. Big deal. Too much in this case means a big glass of water and not a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    One of the properties of water is its ability to dissolve salt. Things like sweating, peeing and defecating all remove salt from our bodies. Overhydrate and your salt levels drop.
    I assume unless you have other problems you probably don't drink a ton of water without eating something.
    Last edited by Saft; 2016-10-18 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    oh i see the way the post was structured i was taking the post by itself without the video. sorry. although most people already have a high enough salt level triggered by their body also telling them to eat that it shouldn't present a problem even if you manage to overhydrate.
    eating something high in salt like salted popcorn for example.
    but yeah people shouldn't be taking any of these posts as nutritional advice.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-10-18 at 10:31 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    I assume unless you have other problems you probably don't drink a ton of water without eating something.
    As silly as it is, it's what we are talking about. There is a strange fad around hydration, that actually does lead to many people overhydrating. Of course it would only kill you on the spot in extreme cases, it does cause a range of other issues related to digestion and such.

Your body has an excellent and well-developed mechanism to keep you "hydrated", it's called thirst and it's extremely powerful and reliable. If it wasn't, you'd be dead. The only time you should drink when you're not thirsty is if you're sick and the nurse told you to

http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles...xperts-say.htm

Wasn't there an "Adam ruins everything" about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    If you are talking about water, your parents are terribly wrong. Feeling thirsty means that you are already slightly dehydrated. Ideally, you should never get to that point (it's impossible to do so all the time though).
    Feeling thirsty = "dehydrated" if you take "dehydrated" to mean that you want more water. Ie, you're thirsty.

But usually when people use that term they mean that you're showing the symptoms of dehydration in a clinical sense.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2016-10-18 at 11:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Your body has an excellent and well-developed mechanism to keep you "hydrated", it's called thirst and it's extremely powerful and reliable. If it wasn't, you'd be dead. The only time you should drink regardless when you're not thirsty is if you're sick and the nurse told you to

http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles...xperts-say.htm

Wasn't there an "Adam ruins everything" about this?

Feeling thirsty = "dehydrated" if you take "dehydrated" to mean that you want more water. Ie, you're thirsty.

But usually when people use that term they mean that you're showing the symptoms of dehydration in a clinical sense.
    No idea who that is, so i'd rather trust my doctors over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    This last Saturday I drank 3 liters of water in way less than an hour and survived. I also ate a small bag of jalapeno pretzel pieces coated in hell's spices that likely demanded all that water. Still since we have tap water I drink lots, I have a 1 liter bottle I refill twice a day, a few more times on Fridays and Saturdays when I occasionally eat snacks coated in spices from hell.

Y'all act as if water poisoning happens by accident lol. Drink too much and you'll just go to the toilet more often. Big deal. Too much in this case means a big glass of water and not a bucket.
    Water poisoning is very rare, it's based on how fast you drink the water. Just like you have a reliable thirst instinct, you have a reliable "stop drinking" instinct. If you've ever tried to force yourself to keep drinking when you want to stop you'll notice your body resists more and more strongly, it's almost painful. Bypassing that instinct takes special effort - most deaths are related to water drinking contests and the like.

Hyponatremia is more common but even so you have to make a special effort to ignore your body's natural signals to get yourself in this position.

TLDR: you shouldn't be worried about drinking more or less water under normal circumstances, your body has it under control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    No idea who that is, so i'd rather trust my doctors over him.
    That was a joke, and why don't you click the link if you're interested in doctors' opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That was a joke, and why don't you click the link if you're interested in doctors' opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilrak
    so i'd rather trust my doctors over him.
    I'd rather stick avoid the internet for health advice, dirinking even when your not thirsty is not unhealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather stick avoid the internet for health advice, dirinking even when your not thirsty is not unhealthy.
    in moderation its not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on outside temperature, physical activity, body size and diet; each person should have at least 2-3 liters of water per day.

10+ Year Old Account
    in moderation its not.
    yes... and?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes... and?
    that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zynara View Post
    rice milk or some fruit juice mostly
    Sitting at the comp you really only need water.

As for
    ...should only drink when i really feel thirsty
    The professional cyclists say "If you are feeling thirsty it is too late". That means because they are using the fluids if they wait until they are thirsty then they will struggle to get enough fluids for the rest of the race.

Also if you are taking on more electrolytes but don't need them it will actually dehydrate you as your body expels the extra electrolytes.
    Last edited by Ginantonicus; 2016-10-19 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    This is huge, up until now I've been drinking gravel when I get thirsty.
    This will revolutionize EVERYTHING. DOCTORS HATE OP!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    that was my point.
    What does it have it have to do with my post?

where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?
    Sounds odd ... if you don't drink several gallons of water per day you're 100% fine lol ... you just might have to pee a lot.
    Usually the opposite happens and people don't drink enough.

I mean even Paracelsus knew many years ago the dosage makes the poison but in the case of water it takes a LOT. Low sodium can lead to coma and death (you drink water, no salt intake while peeing out salty fluid - hence eventually your body will need more salt (inter alia for Sodium Potassium exchange) otherwise the body can't function. But this requires a literal boatload of water without any salt. Generally it only happens to people exercising a lot - marathon runners and the like plus alcoholics.

tl'dr drink all you want, you'll be fine though you might have to pee more often xD

You need to drink around 2L per day anyway, regardless of whether you're thirsty.

For what purpose?
    I'm just hardcore.

where does this come from? my parents tell me this because i am drinking often when i sit at a computer but they said i should only drink when i really feel thirsty

why should you only drink if thirsty?
    You're doing it right. Being thirsty means you're already beginning the process of dehydration. As long as you don't trick 10 gallons of water a day, having a sip now and then to keep hydrated is generally considered to be a good thing.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I doubt there is much difference between drinking when you are thirsty, or keep drinking not to become thirsty. So long as you don't drink liquid with lots of sugar, I think you'd be fine. Better get advice from a doc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You're doing it right. Being thirsty means you're already beginning the process of dehydration. As long as you don't trick 10 gallons of water a day, having a sip now and then to keep hydrated is generally considered to be a good thing.
    is there a permanent damage for being dehydrated?