Poll: Is frost more viable in PvE?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DkWarrior View Post
    Sooo now frost became better than UH ?
    If you don't have legendaries then it can be close. However, the UNH legendaries seem to be far better than frost.

Looking at my cenarius normal kill last night

I got rank 95 for frost at ~250k, rank 95 for UNH is ~290k

I don't think many of those UNH top 5% won't have a legendary (or really high ilevel weapon).

I have 0 legendary but my frost blades are 894
    Last edited by Dahti; 2016-10-13 at 03:03 PM.

If I get a Faulty Countermeasure for Frost I think it could actually surpass UH also, but alas, apparently VotW will never get me one.

What we are witnessing is a new thing for us. Frost is actually scaling well throughout a single tier for the first time.

You will notice Frost moving up the charts from Normal>Heroic>Mythic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dahti View Post
    However, the UNH legendaries seem to be far better than frost.
    Frostscythe + Crit + Icecap + Legendary Bracers = WIN

That combo scales so incredibly well, it's almost ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash the DK View Post
    What we are witnessing is a new thing for us. Frost is actually scaling well throughout a single tier for the first time.

You will notice Frost moving up the charts from Normal>Heroic>Mythic.
    That could be due to mythic frost dks only playing frost if they have a good legendary, they'd be competing with many UNH that don't have any legendary.

And I could see a lot of mythic guilds saying UNh or bench to frost sans legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahti View Post
    That could be due to mythic frost dks only playing frost if they have a good legendary, they'd be competing with many UNH that don't have any legendary.

And I could see a lot of mythic guilds saying UNh or bench to frost sans legendary.
    It's hard to just change spec these days with the Artifact weapon system in place. I doubt there is any bias regarding that angle.

The fact is that Frost scales well now. We knew this coming into Legion with all the changes to Frost. Most people panicked though when Unholy was ahead early. So most flocked to Unholy which is why we have so few logs for Frost. But, like I said, we knew Frost would scale much better this time around. We just didn't know by how much within one single tier. For those of us actually playing Frost, we are "feeling" it firsthand with every new piece of gear.

Deleted
    I'm the last in our raid team who has no legendary :'D rng gods might hate me...

Deleted
    In last night's raid, on Cenarius and Xavius, me, Frost 855, did more dmg and dps than an UH 871 DK. I don't know if that dk was bad or what.

Me, 855 frost dk: 220kish
    UH 871 DK: 205kish

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotxiko View Post
    In last night's raid, on Cenarius and Xavius, me, Frost 855, did more dmg and dps than an UH 871 DK. I don't know if that dk was bad or what.

Me, 855 frost dk: 220kish
    UH 871 DK: 205kish
    If the 871 Unholy DK was really only doing 205k, they're either not trying or very very bad.

The 871 DK is probably poorly itemized.

Quote Originally Posted by DkWarrior View Post
    Sooo now frost became better than UH ?
    not yet but give it a week for the 7.1 changes to come out and we cna readdress where we are. all this debate and discussion will mean nothing if we have semi-significant changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems even more viable now with the coming reset and all the additional frost buffs, Unholy is just changing death coil from instead of feeling like soft spaghetti thrown at the target it's now hard, spaghetti stays spaghetti

10+ Year Old Account
    7.1 should give a slight edge to frost as of right now. Unholy may be buffed more though, a 2% buff due to death coil is kinda peanuts, we will see.

It's hard to just change spec these days with the Artifact weapon system in place. I doubt there is any bias regarding that angle.

The fact is that Frost scales well now. We knew this coming into Legion with all the changes to Frost. Most people panicked though when Unholy was ahead early. So most flocked to Unholy which is why we have so few logs for Frost. But, like I said, we knew Frost would scale much better this time around. We just didn't know by how much within one single tier. For those of us actually playing Frost, we are "feeling" it firsthand with every new piece of gear.
    Bogus, you knew nothing. Without the last hotfix you'd still be shit. That blizzard actually did anything was anything but a given. Acting now like you had this great vision is just laughable . We are all at the mercy of blizzards latest balancing whims and what their interns come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Bogus, you knew nothing. Without the last hotfix you'd still be shit. That blizzard actually did anything was anything but a given. Acting now like you had this great vision is just laughable . We are all at the mercy of blizzards latest balancing whims and what their interns come up with.

Anybody paying attention knew Frost would scale better in Legion. We had the change to our GCD. We have new Crit modifiers scattered all throughout our talents that sync with the major change to Killing Machine. And then there is Frostscythe. I'm not sure how you missed all of these things.

Furthermore, not only did we know Frost would scale better, we asked for Frost to scale better. They delivered for the most part. Unfortunately, they did not agree with our request for Obliterate to scale with Mastery in some fashion. And that is still causing obvious rotational problems.

Also, understand this. There is a point where you can scale too well with your secondary stats and that can cause different problems. Just ask Fire mages. They have had serious viability concerns for years. One thing is for certain though and that is the fact that Blizzard does not like DKs being in the very top tier. I imagine that the reason we started so low on the totem pole to start Legion is because they were scared that we would scale too well and end up in the same situation that Shadow Priests currently sit, which is exactly where they do not want us. How Shadow got a pass is beyond me.

As for your "shit" comment... The last hotfix didn't affect me much. Just like the new hotfix won't affect me much. Because I'm playing the Frostscythe Machine Gun rotation. Having the Legendary bracers insures that will continue for the foreseeable future. And my dps is actually good. So I don't really understand your problem.

Unfortunately, they did not agree with our request for Obliterate to scale with Mastery in some fashion. And that is still causing obvious rotational problems.
    True dat, with the emergent MG frostscythe priority that they are now trying to kill in 7.1.

And don't forget crit, Obliterate still doesn't scale with crit-- the difference is that Obliterate is actually a much smaller portion of Frost DK damage these days.

Anybody paying attention knew Frost would scale better in Legion. We had the change to our GCD. We have new Crit modifiers scattered all throughout our talents that sync with the major change to Killing Machine. And then there is Frostscythe. I'm not sure how you missed all of these things.

Furthermore, not only did we know Frost would scale better, we asked for Frost to scale better. They delivered for the most part. Unfortunately, they did not agree with our request for Obliterate to scale with Mastery in some fashion. And that is still causing obvious rotational problems.

Also, understand this. There is a point where you can scale too well with your secondary stats and that can cause different problems. Just ask Fire mages. They have had serious viability concerns for years. One thing is for certain though and that is the fact that Blizzard does not like DKs being in the very top tier. I imagine that the reason we started so low on the totem pole to start Legion is because they were scared that we would scale too well and end up in the same situation that Shadow Priests currently sit, which is exactly where they do not want us. How Shadow got a pass is beyond me.

As for your "shit" comment... The last hotfix didn't affect me much. Just like the new hotfix won't affect me much. Because I'm playing the Frostscythe Machine Gun rotation. Having the Legendary bracers insures that will continue for the foreseeable future. And my dps is actually good. So I don't really understand your problem.
    frost isn't scaling better, it was buffed.

scaling implies with better gear you start to perform better. scaling better doesn't even mean it'll do more dps either.

so when the guy says bogus, he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by garonne View Post
    frost isn't scaling better, it was buffed.

scaling implies with better gear you start to perform better. scaling better doesn't even mean it'll do more dps either.

so when the guy says bogus, he's right.
    Frost is scaling better in Legion. It's absurd to say differently. If none of the Legion changes were implemented, we would be absolutely buried at this point even with the buffs. I'm talking about completely non-viable. Because Frost scaling used to be almost non-existent.

We are now moving with the pack as we gain more gear. That used to not be the case. But this only applies to the MG rotation. Because Obliterate sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really seeing a lot of potential in frost, I was able to get some relics for the swords to bring it up to 890 (remember this is/was OS), I cleared Heroic with my guild and did some Mythic as well as Mythic+ content and it felt extremely satisfying to say the least, I feel confident with a frost legendary or two and the incoming buffs next reset that it will overpower unholy by a good margin!

Frost does however feel EXTREMELY squishy compared to unholy, where I've gotten used to popping an IBF or a Meatshield in case of emergency I no longer have these abilities available to save me
    Last edited by Mollox; 2016-10-20 at 06:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollox View Post
    I'm really seeing a lot of potential in frost, I was able to get some relics for the swords to bring it up to 890 (remember this is/was OS), I cleared Heroic with my guild and did some Mythic as well as Mythic+ content and it felt extremely satisfying to say the least, I feel confident with a frost legendary or two and the incoming buffs next reset that it will overpower unholy by a good margin!

Frost does however feel EXTREMELY squishy compared to unholy, where I've gotten used to popping an IBF or a Meatshield in case of emergency I no longer have these abilities available to save me
    are you playing frostscythe/ glacial advance or obliteration and Runic Attenuation?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing Frostscythe / Glacial Advance at the moment:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...est/#boss=1877

Those are parses from yesterday, if you compare it to a few days earlier when I did Cenarius on HC as Unholy my frost parse was doing more damage, even though I have less AP invested in the spec and I do not own a legendary for frost either.