Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The closest thing to an objective measurement of quality for a comedian is popularity. Otherwise you're just privileging your own tastes over everyone else's.
    Nah, everyone knows after a certain age the popularity thing happens when people cater to the lowest common denominator. Take Justin Beiber for example, does anyone truly think he's a brilliant musician? You don't even have to hate on the guy here.... you can admit that he is alright for the stuff that he does, but he pales in comparison to the true greats of music. Same thing with Amy Schumer.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Not sure if I should be posting in this thread because I'm not a triggered conservative but she's playing Madison Square Garden tonight.
    Like the dude from honest trailers says, anyone can play on MSG

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    She's a comedian telling jokes at a comedy show, seems like she was telling jokes to me. Doesn't matter if you think they were unfunny jokes are mean-spirited, they were jokes.
    So anything a comedian says is just a joke? Well shit, I better hope they never have a heart attack on set or anything

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Nah, everyone knows after a certain age the popularity thing happens when people cater to the lowest common denominator. Take Justin Beiber for example, does anyone truly think he's a brilliant musician? You don't even have to hate on the guy here.... you can admit that he is alright for the stuff that he does, but he pales in comparison to the true greats of music. Same thing with Amy Schumer.
    Except millions strongly disagree. Your opinion is hardly worth more than theirs. Art is subjective. "Quality" only applies to your own personal taste and as such is a poor basis for criticism.

What kind of Trump supporter goes to an Amy Schumer show and is surprised she says something that offends them?

ITT: people who are genuinely surprised that a comedian says something critical of a loud-mouthed right wing "politician".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Except millions strongly disagree. Your opinion is hardly worth more than theirs. Art is subjective. "Quality" only applies to your own personal taste and as such is a poor basis for criticism.
    Likewise, hundreds of thousands of people thought the pet rock was an awesome toy. It is possible to hold a bad opinion, and in this case it's pretty clear lol.

Schumer has a lot of class and it's all low lol. I don't even care that she made a joke on Trump, the chick is setting females in comedy back about 50 years.
    Actually Amy Schumer, as a visible and popular female comedian, is doing wonders for women in comedy.

Crass comedy is the most prominent because it's the most popular. Probably because it appeals to the widest audience. Female comedians are underrepresented in that type of comedy so that's one reason there aren't a lot of female comedians as well known as Amy Schumer. Also, she's managed to make a style of crass comedy that's relatable to women, which isn't something you see much.

P.S. I find her pretty funny myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Uhhhh, that is false.
    Oh, go on.

I think its know that she is left wing. She has always supported left wing issues. Pretty dumb to pay to go see her if you feel that strongly about trump. How could any comedian resist making fun of trump anyways.

Likewise, hundreds of thousands of people thought the pet rock was an awesome toy. It is possible to hold a bad opinion, and in this case it's pretty clear lol.
    Pet rocks were deliberately marketed as a joke, which caught on. So actually it's an example of a successful idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think its know that she is left wing. She has always supported left wing issues. Pretty dumb to pay to go see her if you feel that strongly about trump. How could any comedian resist making fun of trump anyways.
    To be fair, who are you going to go see if you're looking for a right wing comedian? Apart from Donald Trump anyway.

Being right wing and having a sense of humour seems to be a rare combination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kri4o View Post
    If you're smart you're not going to vote for either of them.
    Not really, that's the same as a non-vote. If you have to pick between two poisons you pick the one that is least toxic. Trump is not a politician and every other poison seems to hate him. That implies to me that he might very well be a bitter tasting but workable antidote. Especially given he wants to push for Term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, he is talking about the Trump from the 90s, when he was a liberal.
    Hey no one's perfect. Give the man a chance! That's what yall were spouting off about Barrack Obama in 2008, remember? His inexperience makes him the perfect candidate? So yeah, I'll take someone who's been both over someone who's salivating to be the first female President for the sake of power and prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Glad to see you have as thick of skin as your Candidate. They make fun of hilary on SNL, Don't hear her whining about it. Trump supporters are as bad as Tumblr.
    My skin's plenty thick, but after 16+ years of Liberals getting impunity in such disgraceful behavior it is a exercise in stupidity to not take them to task. Hell, I was walking down the street today and a White guy honked at me and said "Move it Harambe!". Should I of said "Fuck you crackah"? Sorry, not my style.

Is Harambe the new meme/racist phrase being used to describe black people or something?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Massive kudos for the image and line.
    I try. :-)

Its possible to have bad opinions when they're based on bad facts. There are no facts about taste in comedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused, other than the original "hes orange hitler, lel" the rest of what she was doing doesn't sound like a comedy skit, it just sounds like soap boxing. I understand comedians make fun of politics all the time, but I'm failing to see where the joke was there... Perhaps she was confused and thought she was there to run a political rally and not a comedy show?

I'd have left too, not because I like Trump, but because I probably am attending this comedy show to laugh and feel better about stuff, not have someone yell at people for their political beliefs, even if I strongly disagree with their beliefs.

Like fuck. Maybe I even went there to escape politics altogether. Nobody wants that shoved down their throat, especially not so seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what the joke was.... I mean reading the article she basically just said he's a "shitty person" and when people booed she said "well this is Florida of course your going to boo" and that she'd throw out anyone who yelled after that. Frankly I'd leave on the principle of the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Actually Amy Schumer, as a visible and popular female comedian, is doing wonders for women in comedy.

Crass comedy is the most prominent because it's the most popular. Probably because it appeals to the widest audience. Female comedians are underrepresented in that type of comedy so that's one reason there aren't a lot of female comedians as well known as Amy Schumer. Also, she's managed to make a style of crass comedy that's relatable to women, which isn't something you see much.

P.S. I find her pretty funny myself.
    Schumer essentially is making it look like female's are unable to do higher levels of comedy. While it's no doubt true that female comedians are underrepresented, this chick isn't breaking any "barriers down" or leading to anything that will be good in the field of comedy. We've already seen the low brow shit done since comedy was a thing. As for the popularity thing, there are a variety of things in pop culture that are popular for a point in time but do not stand the test of time. Seriously, try to watch something like this without cringing:

10+ Year Old Account
    She sure is getting a lot of free publicity out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Pet rocks were deliberately marketed as a joke, which caught on. So actually it's an example of a successful idea.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, who are you going to go see if you're looking for a right wing comedian? Apart from Donald Trump anyway.

Being right wing and having a sense of humour seems to be a rare combination.
    There is always larry the cable guy heh heh

Its possible to have bad opinions when they're based on bad facts. There are no facts about taste in comedy.
    Yet people still have opinions on comedy, likewise there are opinions in all of entertainment held by billions of people. I know the approach you are going into but it's not working. It's like saying "raw sewage is not that bad to eat, sure you may not like the taste, but there are others out there that may not mind, thus you cannot say definitively that it tastes bad".

10+ Year Old Account
    Why go to a comedy show just to get offended by comedy? Some people are weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is any of this a story?
    Because some decided the joke was about Trump.

But having people walk out of a show id rare right?
    No, it happens regularly but people don't feel the need to make a news story about it.

So she should be allowed to tell political jokes about Trump?
    Jokes are told about actual world leaders including Obama, Bush Jr and Sr, Clinton, and even the pope has been the target of jokes.

So no one should be surprised?
    Not even a little bit. Politics is a breeding ground for jokes. If you don't like political jokes then you have to be very careful when choosing which shows to go to.

But they didn't tell political jokes before.
    Some people become so weird that you have to talk about them even if you don't normally handle that type of subject. Other times it's a personal thing.

And to the people who got upset?
    Free speech is not something you get to pick and choose. If you want to criticize someone for their jokes about politics then you have to give up your jokes and insults. You can't get mad at Amy Schumer while insulting Hilary Clinton. Live the standard you are trying to call for.

Do you like political jokes?
    I'm a Lewis Black fan, 'nough said.
    Last edited by shadowmatrix; 2016-10-19 at 04:18 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go Schumer!

Wait, people actually think Trump has any character worth defending?

If so i'm with Farnsworth and i don't want to live on this planet anymore....