Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What are the loudest community disagreements with Blizzards design implementations?

Prologue:

I never ever had a major problem and disagreement with the game up until now and the horrible legendary implementation.

Some minor problems were that the game was extremely easy, therefore boring, in WOTLK before the Ulduar patch.
    Other minor problem was that we waited for so long, before a few expansion were released, with nothing meaningful to do. That problem also happened in WoD where the extended wait of Legion expansion was annoying, but turned out to be a worth the wait situation for a great expansion. Perhaps the best, besides the legendary problem.
    Finally other minor problems were some class balance issues, especially pointed against rogues and mages in Cataclysm.

Discussion:

What I want to discsuss, and mostly ask, is what do you think or remember where the situations, when the community kinda of strongly opposed a Blizzard decisions or lack of action. Was it LFR? Was it flying or no flying? Was it bots? What else? When did Blizzard actually made mistakes, and the community protested about them? And perhaps rank those moments from the most significant protest to the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we talking all time, or recently? If recently...

Flight/no flight
    RNG
    Gating
    "Classic" servers

Think more should be there..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

No flight
    Real name something something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Are we talking all time, or recently? If recently...

Flight/no flight
    RNG
    Gating
    "Classic" servers

Think more should be there..
    Reusing old content

10+ Year Old Account
    Scope creep in difficulties.

Should really just be:

Raids
    Normal (queueable)
    Heroic
    Mythic (basically current Mythic difficulty, but activated like old Ulduar Hard Mode)

Dungeons
    Normal (queueable)
    Heroic
    Mythic+ (current M+, with no baseline +0)
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Real name something something.
    You mean when they wanted to make Real ID show on their forums?

Yeah. That's the biggest one that I can think of. Also the one I've disagreed with the most through the years. Pretty sure it ranks very, very high up on the list of community-blizzard-disagreements.
    Last edited by Thrif; 2016-10-18 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    What I want to discsuss, and mostly ask, is what do you think or remember where the situations, when the community kinda of strongly opposed a Blizzard decisions or lack of action.
    No open straight-up comms during most of Warlords, that left a lot of us (50% of unsubbed player base, was it?) feel deceived and abandoned. This has to be numero uno by a large margin.

Flight/no flight was 2nd major one, where their stance was just ridiculous, until we forced them to change.

Everything else pales in comparison, imho.
    HORRIFIC VISIONS SOLO - CASUAL GEAR

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3v...fz8ZVIrd4sOgvw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toro S View Post
    No open straight-up comms during most of Warlords, that left a lot of us (50% of unsubbed player base, was it?) feel deceived and abandoned. This has to be numero uno by a large margin.

Flight/no flight was 2nd major one, where their stance was just ridiculous, until we forced them to change.

Everything else pales in comparison, imho.
    Flight/No Flight was nothing compared to the Loot System shitstorm. Flying some care about some don't but when your shiny stuff gets taken away forums get flooded in matters of minutes. Stuff got reverted basically in a day.

dont worry soon there will be something new to rage about and you'll forget all about this one...well maybe not you op, but someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    You mean when they wanted to make Real ID show on their forums?

Yeah. That's the biggest one that I can think of. Also the one I've disagreed with the most through the years. Pretty sure it ranks very, very high up on the list of community-blizzard-disagreements.
    Yeah. Most of the "disagreements" brought up in this thread so far have been issues where a bunch of people liked the idea and a bunch didn't.

But that Real ID affair generated some genuine venom and I don't recall any real groundswell of support for the idea either.

How hybrid DPS specs should rank against pure DPS classes generated a lot of conversations. The proposed changes to Life Tap towards the end of TBC got an almost unanimous response from Warlocks and was quickly scrapped.

Mostly though it's been about changes to raid formats; people complaining about the drop from 40/20-man to 25/10-man. People complaining about raids having 25- or 10-man versions. People complaining that 25-mans gave better rewards than 10-mans. People complaining that 10-mans gave the same rewards as 25-mans. People complaining that LFR exists. People complaining that there are too many tiers of raid difficulty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    Yeah. Most of the "disagreements" brought up in this thread so far have been issues where a bunch of people liked the idea and a bunch didn't.

But that Real ID affair generated some genuine venom and I don't recall any real groundswell of support for the idea either.
    I think the most supportive position was people saying they just wouldn't use the forums.

There is a difference between re-used content, and areas in world are still import to various groups and people
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Can I get a Bus Shock anyone?

Nothing has ever or will ever come close to the customers fury over the Real ID event in 2010, forcing people to use their real names on the message board.

It was incredible how quickly Blizzard back pedaled on that, a badly thought out plan that escalated quickly

"In an attempt to calm the fury, a Blizzard employee revealed his own name. Quick to respond, WoW Riot were able to find and publish many of Wipple's details including his address, phone number, age, family and even the music and films he likes, along with the links to the pages they used to do so." This happened about 30 minutes after he gave the "no need to worry message".

It was never implemented because of the outcry and later more security was added to the real ID system.

Its the one time they said they really screwed up, well without actually saying it of course..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    Nothing has ever or will ever come close to the customers fury over the Real ID event in 2010, forcing people to use their real names on the message board.

It was incredible how quickly Blizzard back pedaled on that, a badly thought out plan that escalated quickly

"In an attempt to calm the fury, a Blizzard employee revealed his own name. Quick to respond, WoW Riot were able to find and publish many of Wipple's details including his address, phone number, age, family and even the music and films he likes, along with the links to the pages they used to do so." This happened about 30 minutes after he gave the "no need to worry message".

It was never implemented because of the outcry and later more security was added to the real ID system.

Its the one time they said they really screwed up, well without actually saying it of course..
    It's a mystery how that one ever got past the drawing board. Other things they have done have caused a bit of an upset, but nothing has ever, and probably never will be as universally disliked as that idea.
    Lfr gets a lot hate, but there's also a lot of people who like it, same with just about every other thing blizzard does, but this was on another level.
    Anyone who thinks Lfr or some other thing caused more of a storm than this, probably didn't use the official forums much at the time

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine are Stat Squish, removing flying, and removing Lfd.

The original proposed implementation of Real ID probably had the most vocal backlash and quickest change of mind on Blizzards part that I recall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post

iRacing (another MMO in the loosest of terms) actually does use whatever name is tied to the method of payment for the service, in both races and on the forums. It's an extremely small community, and doesn't seem to affect people in any negative fashion, but there's far more accountability there for poor play / behavior.

Deleted
    Max camera distance?

Out of my head the ones i remember, prolly mis a few PVP ones and maybe a few PVE ones i don't remember or wasn't fussed about:

Vanilla - Don't remember alot of community outcry and no real major ones. Probably some about balancing though, as at the start balancing was pretty rough.
    TBC - 40 to 25 player and 20 to 10 raidsize adjusment caused some complaints as guilds were effectively forced to cut their rosterm also some complaints about the attunement design and some complaints about pvp gear being given away for free even if you only lost.
    Wrath - introduction of LFG caused some complaints regarding the effects on server community and the first set of dungeons being way to easy from the get go. Also some about rehashing Naxx and only 2 1 boss new raids. Togc raid also received complaints about the plain design.
    Cataclysm: Dungeons being to hard at te start, 2nd Tier only 7 bosses got some complaints when announced, DS got alot of flak in terms of design and tier length
    MoP: Daillies at the start, Legendary questsline, SoO to WoD being to long
    WoD: Nothing to do, flying, HFC being to long.

Not ingame related: Real ID issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Reusing old content
    That makes me laugh, for many who complain about that, else wants classic.. Haha
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..