Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldon View Post
    This seems to be one of your standard "leak" videos that pop up around this time. "I know someone and they said X." He COULD be telling the truth but it will only be a couple weeks until we know for sure.

That being said the murloc battle pet choice this year does seem to hint toward classic legacy servers. Usually the murloc is themed around the Blizzcon, Murkalot for Reaper of Souls, Murkidan for Legion, Grommloc for Wod, Grunty for SC2, Murkablo for D3. With diablo's 20th anniversary coming up I was expecting a diablo themed murloc, but if they are announcing legacy servers, then the horde/alliance themed ones from this year do make a lot of sense!
    That is rather a stretch simply on faction variations.
    If perhaps it has taken on the appearance of a random classic raid boss every time it was summoned, then I would have at least thought that more likely.
    Factions aren't something unique or notable about vanilla or any past expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Sorry if this has allready been posted. But i stumbled over this statement on the Nost forums. https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44399

One could allways hope.

Quote Originally Posted by daed4 View Post
    I'll tell you a secret:
    Mike Morhaime will have Metzen come back dressed as thrall and personally execute the nost team with a replica doomhammer. Then say "YOU THINK YOU DID. BUT YOU DON'T".

Believe me.
    I believe this guy.

Deleted
    The problem is that despite Vanilla being amazing, it's still gonna be the old world that people already know inside out. What we need is a fresh world, but with the oldschool game design of vanilla.

Deleted
    As if anyone would even think this was real, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Hoping for a fake - why go backwards when you can go forward.
    that is right. That is what I told the Jar-Jar haters.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

This kid is simply very excited and very happy and decided to share what somebody from Blizzard told him with the world.

To those who ask why would Blizzard do something like that I 'd say that this sounds very much like what someone from Blizzard would do, they are a company with a soul manned by human beings, not robots.

I really enjoyed the tears of the retail fanboys in this thread, can't wait for actual launch, that would be like a Black Day for some in here, haha.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    I believe this guy.
    He will also throw the doomhammer at the crowd and say "You're the developer now".

Deleted
    if it were true, i really couldn't be any less excited

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    This kid is simply very excited and very happy and decided to share what somebody from Blizzard told him with the world.

To those who ask why would Blizzard do something like that I 'd say that this sounds very much like what someone from Blizzard would do, they are a company with a soul manned by human beings, not robots.

I really enjoyed the tears of the retail fanboys in this thread, can't wait for actual launch, that would be like a Black Day for some in here, haha.
    Oh look your usual "lets insult retailers" from yours truly. Please tell me your actual problems with retail instead of insulting the playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldon View Post
    That being said the murloc battle pet choice this year does seem to hint toward classic legacy servers. Usually the murloc is themed around the Blizzcon, Murkalot for Reaper of Souls, Murkidan for Legion, Grommloc for Wod, Grunty for SC2, Murkablo for D3. With diablo's 20th anniversary coming up I was expecting a diablo themed murloc, but if they are announcing legacy servers, then the horde/alliance themed ones from this year do make a lot of sense!
    I believe that is hinting more at re-releases of Warcraft 1 and 2 that were teased multiple cons ago, if its hinting at anything at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping for a fake - why go backwards when you can go forward.
    Well, for one, posterity. World of Warcraft as it existed in 2005 is impossible to obtain and play legally right now. The environments (barring instanced maps), dungeons (again, barring the maps, but a few of these were also changed/condensed), class designs, storylines, and many items are all currently lost to history. In essence, there's an entire MMORPG, one that kickstarted the genre's shift into the mainstream rather than being the butt of the 'sweaty, greasy EverQuest nerd' stereotype once celebrities began coming out as WoW players coupled with Blizzard's aggressive and successful marketing.

So a legacy server would accomplish a fairly important goal in preserving WoW in a form that currently doesn't exist (the expansions are less subject to this arguing point, as they're largely unchanged from release other than character design like talents and abilities). Given WoW's place in video game history, that's a fairly big deal. That it would also appeal to a demographic that may not currently be giving Blizz money is just the financial carrot-on-a-stick that could get the team to justify it to the suits.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, myself, but I can see the value in preserving history rather than just constantly forging onward without any time taken to study the past. Or just go back and play an old game without having to step into legal grey areas to do so; again, classic WoW is an outlier here along with other dead MMORPGs as I can still buy an Atari 2600 and play the SwordQuest games, or grab a Sega Genesis and play Phantasy Star II (which is historic as one of the first RPGs to feature a major party member's permanent plot death midway into the game).

Unless the Library of Congress starts hosting servers to run MMOs that had a huge impact on the genre and are no longer available to play, right now the only choices are to play them on private servers, which involves making a few moral and ethical compromises, or continue lobbying Blizzard to put up a server for posterity.

There's also that contingent who just hate the modern game and would rather revel in nostalgia, and that's just as valid given, again, the game is completely inaccessible through legal means right now and those players bought a game with the intent to play it for a pretty long time, given the nature of an MMO.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    why have one direction when you can have many.

hopefully it'll happen. i won't play on one seriously, but every time i need a good walk through some memories, i'll gladly login and quest for a bit.
    yeah lets spend a lot of money on servers where ppl can log for a couple of mins/hours just to walk on memories.

I feel true sorrow for anyone that watches this video and thinks it is legit. How braindead are you people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    NightHaawk rolls a 2 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: HA HA HA HA
    Chikko rolls a 1 (1-100) on [Thread Topic]
    Chikko: FFFUUUUU

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Blizzard say that they don't have the code anymore to very old server software?
    Multi billion dollar companies backup the backups of their backups backups, I highly doubt they throw away anything... This was likely just a thing they said to try and dissuade people from continuing to ask... Besides, the people from Nost offered Blizard their server software/emulator, which works extremely well... Almost all of it's issues were due to the server having 6-7x more people packed onto it than the game was designed to hold per server.

Plus people will demand support, etc.
    This is irrelevant, they can demand support all they want, the most they will get is a couple GMs, all Blizzard has to do is put up a disclaimer when you join the server that says support is limited/non-existent.

It sounds like they'd need to invest quite some bucks for these 1000 players
    Not really, and It would be quite a bit more than 1000 players, I'd assume 10k at least... and they would be paying a subscription... Considering most of our current WoW subscription is to pay for the continued development of future content, they could probly open up classic servers for a $5/mo sub and still make a profit. The sub being low means more people would be willing to pay that sub, a good deal of people who already pay for retail would likely end up playing both as well.

- which nobody really cares about
    They care, you not caring doesn't make it irrelevant.

Whilst some points are valid, it's mostly just nostalgia.
    If this were true, people wouldn't have been packed into nost for as long as they were.. I played there for a few months (up until it closed) and, at least for me, nostalgia is not what kept me there at all... This is not a "you think you do but you don't" situation, that server's popularity and consistently high population over it's lifespan proves that fairly solidly.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-10-19 at 04:39 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Hey guys! Dave Blizzard here, founder and owner of Blizzard Entertainment. I can confirm that we will indeed be announcing the launch of two "Vanilla" servers at this year's Blizzcon, so get your 40% speed mounts warmed up!

Deleted
    Hahahahaha I soooo hope this is true, not because I want the old WoW, since I HATE the idea of the old shit game, but because I want to see it fail so badly, which it obviously would.

hey, my freind works at blizzard, and he said they are shutting down

welp, bye everyone, see ya in another game, as wow, starcraft, heros of the storm, diablo, hearthstone, blizzcon, everything is going away

trust me, i heard it from a friend

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Hey guys! Dave Blizzard here, founder and owner of Blizzard Entertainment. I can confirm that we will indeed be announcing the launch of two "Vanilla" servers at this year's Blizzcon, so get your 40% speed mounts warmed up!
    are they just new legion servers that everything is white and vanilla flavoured ?!

Would be interesting to see how Blizz would handle classic servers. I have a hard time believing they would just put up classic WoW with no tweaks. There were some weird design decisions and mechanics that would just feel so out of place today. If it would be 100% classic, then I'd just roll a rogue or warrior and be a god.

7+ Year Old Account
    there's a megathread for this.....

and that guy is obviously talking bullshit.

Formerly known as Arafal