Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is fake achievement addon leagal?

Been using this addon to get into HC emerald nightmare as a tank and have been very successful. Generate a fake Curve achievement to send to raid leaders who ask for Curve.

Someone in my guild suggested this might not be legal so I was wanting to get to the bottom of it. I gathered everything on Curse was fine?

p.s. yes I am good enough and know the fights and have defeated all HC bosses except Xavius through pugging.

edit:

How do you feel about this morally?
    Last edited by mmocfd1337a77d; 2016-10-19 at 01:33 PM.

Legal? You're not breaking any laws, no.

Deleted
    There's a difference between "legal" and "breaking the Terms of Use", so which one are you asking exactly?

Deleted
    Sorry I guess I meant can you get banned for using it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hallilad View Post
    Well, you have read the Terms of Use, right?

Deleted
    No you cant get banned for using such an addon unless it modifies the client in any way, which i doubt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, you have read the Terms of Use, right?

No I have not actually

Faking achievements have been around since atleast wrath. If blizz haven't done anything about it now I'd assume it's not against their ToS.

Deleted
    No I have not actually
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html
    Quote Originally Posted by World of Warcraft Terms of Use
    You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
    A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;
    Creating an achievement link for an achievement that you haven't actually earned falls under that very clearly.

Deleted
    Generating Tooltips (at least for items) is in fact possible since classic.
    As long as it's using the Addon API and not a external program that messes with the WoW process, its not against the EULA.

But prepare to get kicked / ignored if anybody finds out.

Been using this addon to get into HC emerald nightmare as a tank and have been very successful. Generate a fake Curve achievement to send to raid leaders who ask for Curve.

Someone in my guild suggested this might not be legal so I was wanting to get to the bottom of it. I gathered everything on Curse was fine?

p.s. yes I am good enough and know the fights and have defeated all HC bosses except Xavius through pugging.
    Hate people like u tbh, u might think u are good enough and know the fights but then u get invited and mess up on something fundamental in the fight and waste people's time.

It's almost as retarded as people who whisper "I know tactics" and then u ask them to say what he needs to do in the encoutner and he just copy paste some googled tactic for the entire fight... pug clownfiesta.

Then again people are buying boosts for curve anyway so it doesn't really mean anything.

I think it's as much against the TOS as Tmorph.
    Last edited by nowish; 2016-10-19 at 01:37 PM.
    Nowish <Envy> Washed up, classic hero - Feral + War dps/tank PoV-> http://sv.twitch.tv/viss3

Deleted

Creating an achievement link for an achievement that you haven't actually earned falls under that very clearly.
    You seem really really sure of this but nobody else seems to agree? Just pointing out not causing an argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by One-Of-Many View Post
    its not against the EULA.
    Yeah. But it does break the Terms of Use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nowish View Post
    Hate people like u tbh, u might think u are good enough and know the fights but then u get invited and mess up on something fundamental in the fight and waste people's time.

It's almost as retarded as people who whisper "I know tactics" and then u ask them to say what he needs to do in the encoutner and he just copy paste some googled tactic for the entire fight... pug clownfiesta.

I think it's as much against the Terms of use as Tmorph.
    That's just not true and I don't know why you would use such a strong word as hate. I know the fights just as well as anyone else. I have watched every video there is to understand the mechanics of HC fights and I know them well. What's wrong with that?

edit:

especially I am a TANK ----- surely I am doing something right If I have killed all on HC except Xavius and never been kicked or complained about?

Of course it is not breaking the ToS, because it is not unautorhized 3rd party software. It is using official the official API and does that for years now. Be sure, you are safe.

Deleted

No, it doesn't. You are using in-game tools to craft the link, you could even type the link manually. They even endorse achievement faking for the purpose of getting into pugs.

/run print("\124cffffff00\124Hachievement:11194:"..UnitGUID("player")..":1:10:10:16:0:0:0:0\124 h[Ahead of the Curve: Xavius]\124h\124r")
    Shift-click the result into chat.
    Last edited by mmoce2d1b37428; 2016-10-19 at 01:45 PM.

That's just not true and I don't know why you would use such a strong word as hate. I know the fights just as well as anyone else. I have watched every video there is to understand the mechanics of HC fights and I know them well. What's wrong with that?

edit:

especially I am a TANK ----- surely I am doing something right If I have killed all on HC except Xavius and never been kicked or complained about?
    Because watching them and doing them are completely different things. I've watched football players I never the NFL, does that make me qualified to go out there and play with them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I wonder if everyone with an attitude like yours actually started teaching people fights rather than kicking/not inviting them right away, the skill level of the community as a whole might actually move up.
    I don't think elitists want to hear what you have to say but you are right. It's dog eat dog out there, I need to make my way through this game's content somehow

"A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;"

That part of the ToS refers to something completely different. You can generate any link just using the game's API. Addons are not third party software. You will never get banned for using addons or macros. Blizzard does not care which addons you use. All you have to worry about is people actually checking your armory or inspect and kicking you when they see that you don't have the achievement
    Last edited by Axelond; 2016-10-19 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    Because watching them and doing them are completely different things. I've watched football players I never the NFL, does that make me qualified to go out there and play with them?
    I have already said twice I have killed all except HC Xavius. So now what do you have to say?