Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

PTR 7.1 Changes to fire.

Dragon's Breath Enemies in a cone in front of you take 0 [ 1 + 250% of Spell Power Fire damage and are disoriented for 4 sec. Damage will cancel the effect. Mage - Fire Spec. 4% of Base Mana. Instant. 20 sec cooldown.

Flamestrike Calls down a pillar of fire, burning all enemies within the area for [ 1 + 180%> 207% of Spell Power ] Fire damage and reducing their movement speed by 50% for 8 sec. Mage - Fire Spec. 3% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 4 sec cast.

Pyroblast Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes [ 1 + 400%> 376% of Spell Power ] Fire damage. Mage - Fire Spec. 2.5% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 4.5 sec cast.

So flamestrike got a 15% buff and pyro took a 6% nerf on the PTR.

Thought's on whether this is going to settle the arguement of FS>Pyro on +4 mobs (i think so!!)

Also its an indirect buff to Aftershocks by 15%, which in turn raises the value of blue flame special so could lift its priority in the artifact over taking ignition overdrive and blast furnace first?

When you factor in taking BFS and AS, FS will be doing a total of 278% direct damage per target, which doing napkin math in my head may even lift it now into being better on +3 targets.......maybe.

Also @Kuni Zyrekai, frost changes look nice, would be really interested in your thoughts on how good the spec will be with those changes as i have been keeping up with my frost artifact in the hope(much prefer the playstyle, just can't switch as in a mythic progression guild that wants me to play fire atm for obvious reasons plus with my gear frost is currently simming 50k behind fire for me).
    Last edited by mmoc6c2e0bc3b9; 2016-10-19 at 11:25 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard wanted to buff Flamestrike, they should change Aftershocks to trigger Heating Up procs for Flamestrike, rather than giving a weakened second cast of Flamestrike. The main reason why I never use Flamestrike for AoE, even when there are 15+ mobs, is that it is too clunky to use. To compensate for the increase to AoE burst, Aftershocks could also reduce the damage done by Flamestrike by 20%.

nerf to pyroblast.... noooooooooooooooooes

Deleted
    I'm probalby just stupid, but why do you state pyro taking a 6% nerf? Why isn't it 24%?

Quote Originally Posted by Pereqt View Post
    I'm probalby just stupid, but why do you state pyro taking a 6% nerf? Why isn't it 24%?
    Because overall on the damage its a 6% damage nerf to pyroblast. 24% would make it go down to about 300% spell power per cast. We aren't talking 6% less spell power conversion for pyroblast, we are talking overall damage of the spell has been reduced by 6%

It will be interesting to see if frost can start overtaking Fire now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    Because overall on the damage its a 6% damage nerf to pyroblast. 24% would make it go down to about 300% spell power per cast. We aren't talking 6% less spell power conversion for pyroblast, we are talking overall damage of the spell has been reduced by 6%
    Oh, cool, thanks! that's much more useful than the sp% anyways.
    Do we know approx. how much total dps loss it will be on ST?

I thought they weren't going to nerf and bring another spec up but it almost feels like that's what they're doing...

Quote Originally Posted by ehxy View Post
    I thought they weren't going to nerf and bring another spec up but it almost feels like that's what they're doing...
    If this goes live/is final it is exactly what they are doing.

Nerf is fairly significant.

Quote Originally Posted by MuLLvaD3n View Post
    It will be interesting to see if frost can start overtaking Fire now.
    No.

It seems like this is just a nerf to mages in general. The 25% mana cost increase in Arcane looks to put it behind even with the NH set bonuses as the damage buffs don't seem to compensate sufficiently (still going to be cancer being mana starved all the time, nobody wants to play that), and balancing a spec around set bonuses is ass backwards. Frost's toolkit is not good enough to warrant use in M+ or mythic raids, and it wasn't really competitive, so 5% isn't going to close that gap. Fire remains the one spec and having the one spec get nerfed while it's not dominating content (current or NH) is a joke.

Frost DK got buffed. Tanks are going to be right behind DPS again (despite being "too much DPS so we gotta nerf this" just a week or two ago). LOL. Who is even in charge of making balance changes? Surely they departed a rocket to Mars months ago and are just phoning this shit in, because none of this makes sense.

Brilliant changes.
    Last edited by BiggestNoob; 2016-10-19 at 12:50 PM.

Deleted
    Well since Blizzard stated that they didn't want Frost to become stronger than Fire for now, they'll probably adjust the changes so it remains the better specs.

At least that's what I hope for you. As a Frost main, I just want to be competitive with Fire without necessarily take Fire spot as top spec.
    Last edited by mmoca057d3757a; 2016-10-19 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    The 25% mana cost increase in Arcane looks to put it behind even with the NH set bonuses as the damage buffs don't seem to compensate sufficiently (still going to be cancer being mana starved all the time, nobody wants to play that),
    i literally just logged in on my arcane mage earlier just to do the world boss, the random kicks in the air that kill your stupid quickening stacks & the rng with arcane missiles that is worse than fire rng ever was... fuck that char right now lol - its just an alt and any other artifact would be ages behind

it also seems like a nerf just because of the chance for free arcaneblast legendary which is pretty dumb

Deleted
    Frost DK got buffed. Tanks are going to be right behind DPS again (despite being "too much DPS so we gotta nerf this" just a week or two ago). LOL. Who is even in charge of making balance changes? Surely they departed a rocket to Mars months ago and are just phoning this shit in, because none of this makes sense.

Brilliant changes.
    I don't really get what you imply here. Frost DK is a DPS and very lagging behind the Unholy specs so a buff was pretty much expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mnjzon View Post
    I don't really get what you imply here. Frost DK is a DPS and very lagging behind the Unholy specs so a buff was pretty much expected.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    When you factor in taking BFS and AS, FS will be doing a total of 278% direct damage per target
    238.4%.

Also @Kuni Zyrekai, frost changes look nice, would be really interested in your thoughts on how good the spec will be with those changes as i have been keeping up with my frost artifact in the hope(much prefer the playstyle, just can't switch as in a mythic progression guild that wants me to play fire atm for obvious reasons plus with my gear frost is currently simming 50k behind fire for me).
    Not sure, haven't bothered to math it out. It's going to look hilariously good in simulation, but show me a frost mage that has hit the BC/TV sim goal. It hit the good spots though, most are sustain buffs which is what the spec needed desperately. Dat 57.5% Flurry buff.

- - - Updated - - -

One frost DK, of which he barely cast any of the spells buffed. Seems like a legit complaint?

Deleted
    Seriously dude? The Frost DK ranked in the top fucking percentile and still did not beat a mediocre Shadow Priest. He's crushing his underperforming guildmates, but nowhere does that indicate anything about the spec as a whole.

Next you'll claim that Elemental Shamans are in a better place than Fire Mages because the pct. 91 Shaman beat a pct. 43 & 18 Fire Mage. Barely​.

Gotta love that top 1% frost DK doing less damage than a bottom 44% shadow priest, never mind how he's billions of miles below the mere top 3% rogue.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I just gotta point out that they used vantus rune on that fight so that means on one fight they looked great and looking at the other people like that enhancement shaman. He only got 2.9m out of old war potion. That's crap when it can account for 5m+. I'm not gonna bother analysing further because a buff for a very specific fight skews it.

No.

It seems like this is just a nerf to mages in general. The 25% mana cost increase in Arcane looks to put it behind even with the NH set bonuses as the damage buffs don't seem to compensate sufficiently (still going to be cancer being mana starved all the time, nobody wants to play that), and balancing a spec around set bonuses is ass backwards. Frost's toolkit is not good enough to warrant use in M+ or mythic raids, and it wasn't really competitive, so 5% isn't going to close that gap. Fire remains the one spec and having the one spec get nerfed while it's not dominating content (current or NH) is a joke.
    Would be more than 5%, right? Brain Freeze, Flurry, Frostbolt, and Ice lance got buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Gotta love that top 1% frost DK doing less damage than a bottom 44% shadow priest, never mind how he's billions of miles below the mere top 3% rogue.
    'top out of 55 parses' lol