HAVOC Demon Hunter Log Intervention

Good Afternoon, I am new to MMO Champion Forum and also World of Warcraft in General.

This is my first expansion that I am playing WOW and Legion is very enjoyable.

I believe it will be more fun if i know what the hell is going on half of the time.

Of course I am ready for allll kinds of constructive criticisms, Tips and so forth.

Please take time to review my LOG from our Heroic Guild runs and let me know if you guys have valuable knowledge to share.

I look forward to reading all your comments on my poor performance.

Warcraft Logs SEARCH "EVOLAVIRUS" at Stormrage [US]

warcraftlogs.com/reports/fZBP6j1FJWQbGNXh#fight=23&type=damage-done&source=2

Plugged your log into checkmywow.com and a few things stick out right away:
    http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/fZ...3/12?tab=basic

#1 - You didn't use Eye Beam at all. Any time you can hit more than one target with EB, it needs to be used. EB is great on Elerethe when spiders spawn.

#2 - You cast Throw Glaive 26 times, and 20 of them were when you DIDN'T have the +20% dmg bonus of Momentum. NEVER DO THAT! Throw Glaive + Bloodlet is a big portion of our total damage. We want every bit of it to be 20% bigger.

#3 - Out of 45 4-second-long Momentum windows, 13 of them overlapped the previous Momentum window. Avoid this. Don't cast Fel Rush/Vengeful Retreat until the previous Momo window expires. You're costing yourself buff uptime. I suspect that you are overlapping by using VR and then immediately Fel Rushing back into melee range, which IS TERRIBLE! DO NOT EVER DO THAT EVER! You basically waste the entire Momo window from VR because you immediately overwrite it with the Momo from Fel Rush. They don't stack. You just lose out on ~3 seconds worth of Momo every time you do this. I suspect you might be doing this routinely because your total uptime on the fight was only 41%. You should be able to add 10-15% to that total uptime. I average around mid-50% of Momo uptime on Elerethe.

#4 - One other thing, and this is really more personal preference than a strict rule, but I find Chaos Blades to be a terrible choice for that fight. Fel Barrage is far more flexible and isn't punished when you get an untimely debuff that requires you to disengage from melee range.

Edit: Oh and also, welcome to WoW =)
    Last edited by ufta; 2016-10-17 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    #4 - One other thing, and this is really more personal preference than a strict rule, but I find Chaos Blades to be a terrible choice for that fight. Fel Barrage is far more flexible and isn't punished when you get an untimely debuff that requires you to disengage from melee range.
    The rest of the post is good, but this is just wrong (although a common misconception).

You don't "gain" any DPS overall by being able to use Fel Barrage when you are out of range compared to taking Chaos Blades. Why? Because you already did the (superior overall) damage with CB when you popped it. This damage is done and does not get lost. Even if you just stand out of range a couple of times and can only Throw Glaive / Eye Beam instead of Fel Barrage. Not to mention that it will be extremely rare that you have 4-5 stacks of FB up just when you need it.

If CB is a DPS increase over a perfectly utilized FB (which it is in any scenario where you are not padding meters on inconsequential adds), then it is always the case that it will net you more Overall DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    If CB is a DPS increase over a perfectly utilized FB (which it is in any scenario where you are not padding meters on inconsequential adds), then it is always the case that it will net you more Overall DPS.
    The spider phase adds aren't inconsequential, and since elerethe is an execution fight moreso than a dps check fel barrage is more than valid as a choice if you want to focus on removing the adds quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The spider phase adds aren't inconsequential, and since elerethe is an execution fight moreso than a dps check fel barrage is more than valid as a choice if you want to focus on removing the adds quickly
    Their health is so low even on mythic that going aoe spec for this fight is going to hurt the raid more than it helps. The boss dps is far more important.

Because you already did the (superior overall) damage with CB when you popped it. This damage is done and does not get lost.
    so someone pop's CB, 2-6 seconds later they get a debuff and need to run away. they haven't lost any CB damage? explain this magic

(yes, you should be looking at timers and not using a cd just before a thing goes out, but people do this a lot and is probably why others might recommend fel broccoli for such people)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    so someone pop's CB, 2-6 seconds later they get a debuff and need to run away. they haven't lost any CB damage? explain this magic

(yes, you should be looking at timers and not using a cd just before a thing goes out, but people do this a lot and is probably why others might recommend fel broccoli for such people)
    As you admit, it is pretts easy to make sure you can use the 12-second window of CB. The rest is the logical fallacy I was talking about:

The "logic" behind wanting to choose FB goes like "Hey, if I get debuff X and have to run away, I can still FB". But what if you don't have 5 charges up then? Will you save them for these occasions, which will lower the talents value significantly? Most of your FB usage will be in melee range and you could just as well use CB there and get more out of it.

People need to understand that CB > FB comes not from looking at 1 out of a 100 tries where it might pull even or ahead, but is a Statement made looking at the average fight. And there CB will be better even if I lose some uptime. Heck, the difference in ST DPS is close to 10% for me between CB and FB.

The "logic" behind wanting to choose FB goes like "Hey, if I get debuff X and have to run away, I can still FB". But what if you don't have 5 charges up then? Will you save them for these occasions, which will lower the talents value significantly? Most of your FB usage will be in melee range and you could just as well use CB there and get more out of it.

People need to understand that CB > FB comes not from looking at 1 out of a 100 tries where it might pull even or ahead, but is a Statement made looking at the average fight. And there CB will be better even if I lose some uptime. Heck, the difference in ST DPS is close to 10% for me between CB and FB.
    Well first off, you're just making stuff up. But let's not make it my opinion vs your opinion, whattya say? Let's see what the logs show.
    Looking at the havoc world rankings for mythic Elerethe, I see that 2 of the top 4, and 8 of the top 20 agree with me and have chosen to run Fel Barrage instead of Chaos Blades on this fight. These are some of the top DHs in the world. I think you need to go tell them how silly they are for doing so!

Another thing that you are not understanding, perhaps because I didn't feel the need to explicitly explain my stance on this, but the advantage to FB on this fight is that you NEVER have to delay using due to having to disengage from melee. Yes, you can find 12 second windows of time where you can use CB, but I found myself having to DELAY it's use until reaching one of those windows, and for me I had to delay it for an unacceptably long time. If you delay CB and end up costing yourself another whole CB window because of it, you lose a huge chunk of damage.

Like I said initially, this is a matter of preference. There's not a 100% right answer, and the logs prove that out. What's best for a given DH could even vary depending on his guild's strat on this fight. What if they have only ranged killing the spiders? Huge + to CB. It could even swing based on whether his guild is killing the boss in under 4:00 or not. 2 casts of CB vs 3 casts of CB is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cramerr View Post
    Their health is so low even on mythic that going aoe spec for this fight is going to hurt the raid more than it helps. The boss dps is far more important.
    Yeah because the ST difference between chaos blades & fel barrage is huge... oh wait no.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Looking at the havoc world rankings for mythic Elerethe, I see that 2 of the top 4, and 8 of the top 20 agree with me and have chosen to run Fel Barrage instead of Chaos Blades on this fight.
    This proves absolutely nothing un less you are saying that their raids couldn't kill the spiders without the help of those FB-DHs. If I parse high with FB on mythic Il'gynoth does that mean I padded my meter or that I addedsomething really valuable to my raid?

Yeah because the ST difference between chaos blades & fel barrage is huge... oh wait no.
    300 second fight (think Ursoc) ST with my gear (ilevel 877):
    CB 394k
    FB 360k

Yeah, just a measly 10% difference #kappa

Edit: typo. ofc, CB is 10% STRONGER
    Last edited by mmoc8b94713eb4; 2016-10-20 at 06:01 AM.

I'd say you're drastically misusing chaos blades if its weaker on ursoc for you than FB, never mind 10% weaker.

Are you even using it? That's basically FB's damage contribution single target so you seem to be confusing FB to no talent.