Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    My point was that people assume a cop can easily subdue a violent person intent on hurting them with fisty cuffs. Most of you kids think TV is real world.
    Deja vue... have we had this argument before?

Don't say people... own your shit... Just say that you think... general public are ninjas and movie criminals, because it takes Chuck Noris to subdue a grandma with a bat. No, you don't get to tell "kids" that movies are fake, when you claim it takes Chuck Noris to subdue a grandma with a bat... that you...

Well its a good thing this woman got lucky.

Female officer shot and killed knife-wielding man after taser failed
    She didn't get lucky, she did the same job most cops do. This isn't luck, its competence. These shootings like the OP are not indicative of most cops, no mater how your ilk wants everyone to think they are. The "lucky" woman actually is...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Honest question though, OP. If he had used a taser and she had died as a result, would you be okay with that? We've had threads about tasers killing people here before, and they weren't praising the use of a taser.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I don't really know what the point of this thread is. All op really wants is an echo chamber to point fingers...
    Isn't that exactly what you are seeking? You seem to be rationalizing the shooting...certainly not a middle ground approach...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Honest question though, OP. If he had used a taser and she had died as a result, would you be okay with that? We've had threads about tasers killing people here before, and they weren't praising the use of a taser.
    Was going to ask that same question here. Somehow, I don't feel people would be fine with someone dieing to a taser because it isn't a gun. I'd enjoy being proved wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Deja vue... have we had this argument before?

Don't say people... own your shit... Just say that you think... general public are ninjas and movie criminals, because it takes Chuck Noris to subdue a grandma with a bat. No, you don't get to tell "kids" that movies are fake, when you claim it takes Chuck Noris to subdue a grandma with a bat... that you...

She didn't get lucky, she did the same job most cops do. This isn't luck, its competence. These shootings like the OP are not indicative of most cops, no mater how your ilk wants everyone to think they are. The "lucky" woman actually is...
    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...g_seaside.html

On Friday, when Ferry refused to show his hands, the other officer with Goodding used a Taser on Ferry and he fell to the ground. Police haven't identified the other officer yet.

Ferry pulled out a gun as Goodding was trying to restrain him and fired once at Goodding, Marquis said. The other officer then fired three times at Ferry, hitting him at least one time.

Goodding was taken to Providence Seaside Hospital and Ferry was taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital nearly 20 miles away. They both died while receiving treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    let me make this more clear. If the woman was to attack, and the cops pulled out the tasers, missed their shots, then yes...a gun would be needed.
    You are not saying anything different from BLM...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Was going to ask that same question here. Somehow, I don't feel people would be fine with someone dieing to a taser because it isn't a gun. I'd enjoy being proved wrong, though.
    Yeah I doubt it either. Mainly because I've seen threads on MMO champion complaining that someone has died from a taser.

Deleted
    this time of year, I was expecting a bat that has wings and flys, not a bat made for hitting balls...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Yeah I doubt it either. Mainly because I've seen threads on MMO champion complaining that someone has died from a taser.
    In truth, people would complain if a baton was used justifiably. Actual issues that need to be worked on have been drowned out by people on an anti-police crusade.

10+ Year Old Account
    as someone not from the US reading this, it's hard for me to find it serious, police is supposed to save people not killing them lel, I'm sorry for that person killed, I wonder what kind of dumbo kill people like that. hope he'll get what he deserved, since all humans have rights

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...g_seaside.html

On Friday, when Ferry refused to show his hands, the other officer with Goodding used a Taser on Ferry and he fell to the ground. Police haven't identified the other officer yet.

Ferry pulled out a gun as Goodding was trying to restrain him and fired once at Goodding, Marquis said. The other officer then fired three times at Ferry, hitting him at least one time.

Goodding was taken to Providence Seaside Hospital and Ferry was taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital nearly 20 miles away. They both died while receiving treatment.
    What is this supposed to prove? Yes, police risk their lives and too often the good ones die, while the bad ones get all the attention. The cop did what every single cop should do, which is why cops are supposed to be admired and held in high esteem.

Unless you are saying we need to galvanize around the fallen officer and admonish those like the OP, I see no point in what you are doing. The fallen officer, just like the majority of police, are putting their lives on the line to protect the community. Relating good cops to the bad ones, as if they are the same, is horrible. The OP officer is the problem, the fallen officer is the hero. Get that straight...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    as someone not from the US reading this, it's hard for me to find it serious, police is supposed to save people not killing them lel, I'm sorry for that person killed, I wonder what kind of dumbo kill people like that. hope he'll get what he deserved, since all humans have rights
    Lack of accountability from the public. Too many have been convicted that the bad cops represents the whole. We have a despicable thread currently active, where an officer successfully subdued a perpetrator without anyone killed, was treated like a sign of incompetence. Even right now, people are comparing a dumb ass who killed a 60 year old, to a hero who risked their lives and even lost it, protecting the community. As long as the argument remains 'BLM wants you to think all cops are bad, but we want you to believe bad cops are just like those who give up their lives instead of shooting' it's all moot...

What is this supposed to prove? Yes, police risk their lives and too often the good ones die, while the bad ones get all the attention. The cop did what every single cop should do, which is why cops are supposed to be admired and held in high esteem.

Unless you are saying we need to galvanize around the fallen officer and admonish those like the OP, I see no point in what you are doing. The fallen officer, just like the majority of police, are putting their lives on the line to protect the community. Relating good cops to the bad ones, as if they are the same, is horrible. The OP officer is the problem, the fallen officer is the hero. Get that straight...

- - - Updated - - -

Lack of accountability from the public. Too many have been convicted that the bad cops represents the whole. We have a despicable thread currently active, where an officer successfully subdued a perpetrator without anyone killed, was treated like a sign of incompetence. Even right now, people are comparing a dumb ass who killed a 60 year old, to a hero who risked their lives and even lost it, protecting the community. As long as the argument remains 'BLM wants you to think all cops are bad, but we want you to believe bad cops are just like those who give up their lives instead of shooting' it's all moot...
    Why should an officer risk their life against someone who is trying to attack them?

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Funny that, because when I was working at security and someone had a baseball bat, a pipe, or even a knife, I didn't use kamehameha's or spirit bombs either. I used something called "self-defense". Y'know, the thing they train you in when you join a security firm or police precinct.

Or... are you telling me that US officers are not taught the basics of unarmed self-defense, which includes disarming opponents?
    When it comes to self defense, the best option is to use what is at your disposal. Why defend your like with your fists, when you have a gun?

Could they have disarmed her? Absolutely. Could they have pepper sprayed her, or used a taser? Sure. However, a single blow from a baseball bat can kill a person, would you take that unnecessary risk? I'm all for scrutiny of law enforcement, and I believe that the uses of force need to be investigated in an unbiased and transparent manner. However, a police officer does have a right to protect his or her own life, as well as the lives of others.

Personally, I would have gotten everyone else out of the area, and let the crazy person break some damn furniture and walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should an officer risk their life on someone who is trying to attack them?
    Because they are police officers. Because they are the enforcement arm of government. Because they are heroes. What they are not are executioners. Not easily frightened. Not fighting TV villains.

Because they are police officers. Because they are the enforcement arm of government. Because they are heroes. What they are not are executioners. Not easily frightened. Not fighting TV villains.
    No, it is not the police officers job to "take one for the team." Risking a life is one thing, taking unnecessary risks is entirely different.

That policeman has permanently emasculated himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They signed up for the job and that's one aspect of it. Or are you saying cops should run and hide when someone opens fire on cops? Even if they're using a gun they can still be risking their life.
    They signed up to uphold the law = should risk their life needlessly when someone assaults them. LOL Good thing people like you aren't in charge.

Well, the current tone of cops being out to get blacks and shoot everyone makes them the TV villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't see where he says anything even remotely like that. He's saying why they should risk their life when someone is attacking them. The only way they wouldn't be risking their life is to remove themselves from the situation. Their life will be at risk no matter how they deal with someone attacking them. They shouldn't just shoot every attacker in the head though. Especially when they have non-lethal options that wouldn't significantly increase the danger to their person.
    If nobody else was in danger, they likely should have removed themselves from the situation. However, since a family member had called, clearly someone else was possibly in danger. Non-lethal options are slow, way slower than people realize. I've been pepper sprayed (never as a hostile act), and you can still function to some degree. I've also been tasered, and it knocked me on my ass. However, my best friend was tasered, and it did not connect properly, and he was fine. In the time it takes to deploy either, she could have brained someone. I think they could have solved the issue with less force, mainly by leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the current tone of cops being out to get blacks and shoot everyone makes them the TV villains.
    There is evidence and data that suggests policing is racially motivated. Although black people are not more likely to be shot by officers, they are more likely to be the target of use of force, assault, contacts, and searched. The narrative that cops are shooting blacks at an alarming rate... that's just false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why don't you stop doing that? Remember, I'm not the one saying the OP did the right thing and all cops should be shooting everyone.