Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post

May said it's ok. We're all civilized after all!
    No, of course it is not OK... Everybody knows that this symbol has magical evil powers. You just posted it here, so now we are all doomed to rot in hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    No, of course it is not OK... Everybody knows that this symbol has magical evil powers. You just posted it here, so now we are all doomed to rot in hell!
    It's banned in Germany though

I guess Germany isn't civilized??
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Well they're letting anyone from ISIS back into the country once they're bored over there. It's only fair that they let them fly their flags still, you don't want to be oppressing their culture.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's banned in Germany though

I guess Germany isn't civilized??
    Every civilized country has some uncivilized elements. Such as superstitions: "The symbol is dangerous, baaaaan it!!!!!!!"
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Every civilized country has some uncivilized elements. Such as superstitions: "The symbol is dangerous, baaaaan it!!!!!!!"
    Unfortunately Sweden enjoys importing them.

But...

"Banning symbols isn't something that should even be considered in a civilized society."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I don't think we should ban symbols, but if you have a symbol up that is used by terrorist groups, or enemies of the state/country, it should be understandable if the government does some prudent surveilling of your property/calls, etc.

Because if you do end up doing something violent against other people, everyone will blame the government for not catching you in time, and missing all the warning signs.... like an ISIS flag on your front porch.
    Well; Flying an ISIS flag shows you're a special kind of person who deserves a Bleach Enema.

Deleted
    I would not do something so violent, but I would understand if you had weird noise on your landline, or a weird white car with no plates following you, from time to time.

You should be free to express stuff, except when it comes to harming other people... and flying a flag of a death cult should set off alarm bells of any good law enforcement group.
    I was more implying a case of Darwinism than any malicious attack.

Deleted
    Does Sweden ban similar hate symbols?

tbh if someone wants to fly isis flag, should ship them over to mosul, i hear they need reinforcements over there

10+ Year Old Account
    But...

"Banning symbols isn't something that should even be considered in a civilized society."
    Yes. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes. Your confusion is confusing.

I don't think we should ban symbols, but if you have a symbol up that is used by terrorist groups, or enemies of the state/country, it should be understandable if the government does some prudent surveilling of your property/calls, etc.

Because if you do end up doing something violent against other people, everyone will blame the government for not catching you in time, and missing all the warning signs.... like an ISIS flag on your front porch.
    I really, reeeeeeally don't think a symbol contributes to an ideology in any meaningful way. A symbol becoming widespread might be a reason to be concerned and try to address the causes, but banning symbol will do nothing but make the affected group into martyrs, only increasing the advancement of their ideology long-term.

Yes. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen sometimes. Your confusion is confusing.
    It's pure befuddlement at the cognitive dissonance behind that statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pure befuddlement at the cognitive dissonance behind that statement.
    Oh, I forgot who I was talking to... You never bring anything more on the table than void accusations. Bye.

Oh, I forgot who I was talking to... You never bring anything more on the table than void accusations. Bye.
    lol, not a fan of having blatant contradictions pointed out are ya?

At least it only took a few posts this time for the flip-flop to surface.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not mean it contributes to the organization, I mean it more in a way that some would be terrorist who would have that flag, and then carry out an attack.

The government cannot know who would do that, but if you have a flag like that on display, it is safe to assume that you agree with least some of what ISIS is about... and are therefore a potential danger to society.

So if they ever did attack someone, the first thing the citizens would say would probably be something like "He had an ISIS flag, and you did not find that suspicious?"

We are at war with ISIS, if a citizen of the US, or any country, displayed the Nazi flag during WW2, I am sure that there would be more than upset neighbours stopping at their home, asking them "what's up with that?"
    There is a lot of people who are just misguided and support an organization they think is aligned with their interests, while in reality it is not so. Just look at the amount of Putin supporters on the West, for example: they think that the guy is good, because he stands up to evil Western warmongers - missing the essence of Putin and his regime entirely. Similarly, we saw quite a few Western, let's say, hippies join ISIS out of some strange desire to "fight imperialism" or whatever - many of them returned home afterwards, disappointed.

It is a big stretch to say that everyone waving an ISIS flag poses danger to the society. Instead of banning the flag, it is better to explain to people what ISIS is like, and that can't be done by force. As for people's reaction, well, we have laws supporting free speech to protect them from being lynched.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not say we should ban the flag though. All I said is that if you have one flying, I would understand if the government was also surveilling you. Just incase you were not a misguided hippie.
    I think presumption of innocence should still be supreme. Unless the flag is becoming widespread and starting to change the way society lives, I don't think it warrants any preventive action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surveilling is not a preventive action. And that is not what people say when attacks happen. The first thing that happens is an attack on the law enforcement, saying they are not doing their job.

This is the PC stuff that people dislike BTW, when it gets in the way of common sense.

Like I said, we are at war with ISIS. If this was WW2, and someone in the US was flying the Nazi flag, there would be consequences, and rightfully so. I am not saying they should be sent to prison, but interviewed, and monitored to make sure they are just crazy... or missguided... but not actually a threat.
    This is just succumbing to fear, in my opinion. Secret surveillance - sure, they are doing it anyway, might as well legalize it. But interviewing, apprehending and such people simply for waving a flag of the state your country is at war with is just wrong, IMO. If someone hasn't done anything illegal (and the law shouldn't be tweaked for individual cases either), then I see zero reason to suspect them in anything.

That's just my position though, I am not a fan of the government controlling people's private lives in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Well; Flying an ISIS flag shows you're a special kind of person who deserves a Bleach Enema.
    Did someone say Miracle Mineral Solution?!

First off, free speech.

Second off, that's not the Islamic Flag. There is not, currently, a single flag that represents Islam, though many flags in the Middle East to feature the traditional Crescent/Star combination. You are talking about the flag of ISIS, which is not representative of Islam.

Deleted
    it is better to explain to people what ISIS is like
    Haha, what? Are you serious? People already know what ISIS is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    For my money it edges out Airplane! for my favorite of their old school gems. I found it on TV late one night when I was in I think middle school, and I'd never laughed so much before.

My brother-in-law and I also use "Who do you favor in the Virginia Slims Tournament?" as our secret passcode.
    The underwater bar brawl was amazing.