Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Death terrifies me.

Hi guys, i'm sitting here behind my screen with some nice liquid dnb on the background and yet again the thought of dying goes through my head.
    I think about this like every day. It just terrifies me to think about the fact that i will lose my parents, lose my brother and lose my girlfriend some time in the future, and i don't know how people can ignore this fact. I don't even feel ashamed to tell that i sometimes cry about this in my bed.

I don't believe in a god or after-life. So the thought of losing my close ones is really hard for me. The thought of never seeing them again..
    There is so much shit going on with humanity at the moment, i really wonder when the first nuke will be dropped ( my thought at this moment )
    I just don't understand how humanity fails to live in peace and harmony, i hate it and i wish i could change this.

There was a girl on my Facebook, 21 years old and dropped dead randomly because a vain snapped in her brains.
    It can happen anytime, you can die without knowing it, you don't even have to suffer from a disease..you can be a healthy person. This can also happen to the people you love and that is in my opinion even worse than dying myself. the emptiness and idea of just not existing or feeling anything anymore is scary.

Am i the only person that thinks about death this often? i don't know how to forget about this or to ignore this fact.

Welcome to where you should've been when you were like 6 or something.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Fear of death itself is the reason I'm still alive.
    It's the question that can never be answered, either you get the answer when it happens, or you'll never know.

If you don't find comfort in religion or believing anything past death, then you need to "overcome" this fear in another way.

Work on your future, aim to leave behind a legacy of some sort, aim to have children so you know your line continues.

It is the natural order of things. Do you fear your non-existence prior to your birth? No? It is the same thing. Even the universe will die one day.

Savor every moment of your life and do your best to live out your dreams, take each day as it comes and take nothing for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I don't know any 6 year old who thinks about death.
    I also want to ask you why thinking about death is for little kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alcohol is the solution

If psychoanalysis is any indication, he will be searching in his mother's drawers for underwear pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by foxxii View Post
    I don't know any 6 year old who thinks about death.
    I also want to ask you why thinking about death is for little kids.
    What I want to know is how do people not? 6 may be overstating it as well. I should be real simple for anyone beyond like the age of 3 or 4 to go from 'old and sick people sometimes die' (which happens quite a lot so is something they should become aware of) to 'I know old or sick people' to 'the old or sick people I know might die' to realizing how close death is to themselves. All the info you really need to provide to a child for them to make this extrapolation should be that death is a thing that happens to people. From there it shouldn't take long for them to realize it can happen to people they know (or to their pets, etc.), and then that it can happen to themselves, and then to be overcome by how sad this would be and cry in their beds about it until they get over it.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

What I want to know is how do people not? 6 may be overstating it as well. I should be real simple for anyone beyond like the age of 3 or 4 to go from 'old and sick people sometimes die' (which happens quite a lot so is something they should become aware of) to 'I know old or sick people' to 'the old or sick people I know might die' to realizing how close death is to themselves. All the info you really need to provide to a child for them to make this extrapolation should be that death is a thing that happens to people. From there it shouldn't take long for them to realize it can happen to people they know (or to their pets, etc.), and then that it can happen to themselves, and then to be overcome by how sad this would be and cry in their beds about it until they get over it.
    I have a very distinct memory of freaking out one night and running into my mums room crying "I don't wanna die!". I must have been like 6 or 7. So yeah I agree with you.

Sometimes when I hear about people just dropping dead or dying in a car accident because a drunk just drove onto the wrong side of the road makes me think about life and how easily it could be snapped away from you, but it doesn't make me cry or think about it for more than like 5 seconds.

I always felt like someone who is obsessed with their own death is probably massively narcissistic. You're not that important, lol.

Deleted
    Shhh, embrace the abyss.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys, i'm sitting here behind my screen with some nice liquid dnb on the background and yet again the thought of dying goes through my head.
    I think about this like every day. It just terrifies me to think about the fact that i will lose my parents, lose my brother and lose my girlfriend some time in the future, and i don't know how people can ignore this fact. I don't even feel ashamed to tell that i sometimes cry about this in my bed.

I don't believe in a god or after-life. So the thought of losing my close ones is really hard for me. The thought of never seeing them again..
    There is so much shit going on with humanity at the moment, i really wonder when the first nuke will be dropped ( my thought at this moment )
    I just don't understand how humanity fails to live in peace and harmony, i hate it and i wish i could change this.

There was a girl on my Facebook, 21 years old and dropped dead randomly because a vain snapped in her brains.
    It can happen anytime, you can die without knowing it, you don't even have to suffer from a disease..you can be a healthy person. This can also happen to the people you love and that is in my opinion even worse than dying myself. the emptiness and idea of just not existing or feeling anything anymore is scary.

Am i the only person that thinks about death this often? i don't know how to forget about this or to ignore this fact.
    If you dont believe in an afterlife, then I think you would have even less to fear. As soon as you die, your perception of anything ends. No pain, no sadness, no thoughts. You and your fears cease to exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't change it so it's no use thinking about it.

Why is the idea of feeling nothing anymore scary to you? To cease to be, if that is indeed what happens (I believe it is, personally), doesn't seem so bad. Are you scared when you sleep? No, right? You aren't really anything, if you're like most people. You just lie down, drift off, and stand up again some 6-9 hours later. If death is nothing, then it's like sleep that you never wake from.

Legacy doesn't matter. 100 years after you're dead, no one will know you past a name that your descendants might look up a few times. 1000 years from now, you might be a tiny footnote, if you're lucky. 1 trillion years from now, whoever we think of as everlasting in common memory will be a long-forgotten blip. We will be gone, so will our galaxy. The universe will be well on its way to heat death. There is no grander meaning, there's really no point to anything at all. It's all transitory. If you can't accept this, and also aren't religious, then I suggest you learn to ignore it and push it to the back of your mind.

Deleted
    I have bad news you die every time you go to sleep for like 8h than you come back to life again
    i got good news also if you afraid of death means you are alive !!!!!!!!!!!!

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think everyone fears it to a degree. Even those that claim it won't will be begging death to give them more time when he comes to collect his dues.

You're alive now, so fuck it. You'll cross that bridge when you get to it. May you die a death with the least suffering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    There's nothing you can do about it. No use fretting over it.

Nothing to forget or ignore. You just have to accept.

Past, present and future and just spatial reference points. You're actually already dead from another reference point. The purpose of life is to effectively manage pleasure, wrath, and sloth in order to make consistent conscious decisions that allow you to positively develop yourself and those around you. Your actions (positive or negative) will impact and react with those around you to create a future for this world, and that impact will last forever.

Currently, you're being ruled by a certain aspect of your mind, and you're comfortable being slothful because it is much easier to not do anything than to learn and understand something intangible. Your inaction in addressing this aspect is an action in and of itself and that negative action is why you're being taken in a downward spiral where you feel a loss of control.

You never had control to begin with. You should understand, accept, and give in to the world around you, and move with confidence and purpose. You will see the effect of your positive actions radiate and your negative actions turn in on yourself.

That's just how things are.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Dying painfully is what scares me, not death itself.
    The pain of losing those close to me, knowing I'll never see them again scares me more than death. Death? I'll handle it like we all will.

A part of me will always want to believe that there's something, anything, on the other side; something that gives us more meaning and a better understanding of some of the toughest questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happens man. Don't let it keep you down too long.

I came to terms with it when I went to Iraq. For whatever reason I accepted it easily.

Now that I'm back home and have two boys and a wife it's a bit harder. But I fear more for their deaths than my own.

The best thing you can do is live life to the fullest so you have no regrets.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis