Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Red face In a surprise to nobody, Justin Trudeau is waffling on electoral reform promises

So last year, us dirty ice dwellers had our very own election. 39% of the country thought that Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party of Canada (LPC) were the choice for them and so, it happened. Threads were made, arguments happened, many new threads were made since then, it was all around an interesting October one year ago.

One of the biggest promises made by the LPC was electoral reform, we like 60 other countries (including the US) use a First Past the Post electoral system. Suffice to say, a good chunk of my neighbours here liked to use this one as the big reason they're voting for them. I suggested multiple times that it was all bullshit, they would never do it, they promised to do it back in the 90s and didn't etc. I got told to stfu a lot, but it was a neat discourse at the time and I am all for that.

and here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    The Libs won a majority, but with a lower popular vote % than the tories did in 2011, yet earned more seats. So I'm going to put money on that whole [electoral reform] promise being jettisoned pretty fuckin quick.
    and now we have...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wher...form-1.3811862

One year after his party's resounding election victory, Justin Trudeau finds himself in a terrible bind: his government is so beloved that it might not, in good conscience, be able to fulfil one of its campaign commitments.

Yes, the Liberal government did promise the federal election in 2015 would be the last such campaign conducted under the first-past-the-post system.

But his government has also since said it won't proceed with electoral reform unless there is broad public support for doing so.
    The last part tickles me the most, since the LPC has done almost everything in their power to limit real debate on the matter, as well as deflect the possibility that it would go to a nationwide referendum. Because they knew full well that their mandate is utter bullshit when it comes to a matter of this importance and they will lose a referendum. I'll give them credit for not just forcing it through the House of Commons, bonus points for that one for sure. But here we are with yet another, decidedly monumental, failure to deliver on a party platform element, within their first year in office. Add it to the pile with revenue neutral tax hikes, deficit neutral spending on infrastructure (it went to a bunch of other shit instead), refugees, f35, crime task force funding, fossil fuel subsidies, and so on...

Now I don't reaaaaally want to start dishing out the humble pie, that might be a bit too cheeky. But I'm certainly going to stew in my own cromulence for a little while reviewing the dozen or so pages from that old thread of people giving me shit about it

Cheers everyone!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-10-20 at 12:24 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh please you'd be crying crocodile tears if Mr Trudeau changed the system from FPTP to Ranked ballot.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have undoubtedly summoned the Tennis

See?

10+ Year Old Account
    As with every politician ever, Trudeau more than likely won't fulfill half of his electoral promises.

Unlike every other politicians, people are so fucking far up his ass at this point that they'll more than likely make excuses and say it's ok that he doesn't, because Trudeau can do no wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Oh please you'd be crying crocodile tears if Mr Trudeau changed the system from FPTP to Ranked ballot.
    In a referendum? Not at all.

Deleted
    that gif made it really hard to read that post

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    As with every politician ever, Trudeau more than likely won't fulfill half of his electoral promises.
    He'll get the low hanging fruit sure enough. Like when he recalled all 2 of our CF-18's from Iraq and people lined up to blow him for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    that gif made it really hard to read that post
    I'm looking for a replacement, it wasn't my first choice either Maybe just go with a static one?

There, that one is more cheeky anyway. Stupid 1 second long tumblr gifs.

10+ Year Old Account
    A referendum. I guess Traderwind didn't learn from Brexit, Quebec or Columbia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the frustratioN Tradewind. I'm pretty much just trying to focus on my own life then the insanity and absurdity of American Politics.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    He'll get the low hanging fruit sure enough. Like when he recalled all 2 of our CF-18's from Iraq and people lined up to blow him for it.
    Well he DID balance his cabinet, so really we can call it a day at this point.

I mean. Nothing else matters right? Exactly!

A referendum. I guess Traderwind didn't learn from Brexit, Quebec or Columbia.
    I'd rather see 50.1% of people making stupid decisions, than 39.47% of them. At least it's a majority.

No need to lash out because you got lied to though. Chill brul.

Don't care about the article in hand, just wanted to say that right there was a fantastic use of cromulence which as we all should know is a perfectly cromulent word.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather see 50.1% of people making stupid decisions, than 39.47% of them. At least it's a majority.

You criticized the overlord Trudaeu. Such a thing is treason /sarcasm

#TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account

Have you not seen the backlash against ranked ballot? You should be grateful that our PM is adjusting his policies based on the will of the people. He isn't a dictator.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Unlike every other politicians, people are so fucking far up his ass at this point that they'll more than likely make excuses and say it's ok that he doesn't, because Trudeau can do no wrong.
    Now that its CURRENT_YEAR$, Electoral reform is not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Have you not seen the backlash against ranked ballot? You should be grateful that our PM is adjusting his policies based on the will of the people. He isn't a dictator.
    ♪ Strawwwwmaaaaan. Shitposting on demand. ♪

I'm fine with the electoral reform being scrapped. Had you read the OP you'd know this.

How do you feel about being lied to by your hero?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Now that its CURRENT_YEAR$, Electoral reform is not needed.
    It's really troubling to read the level of hate you have for the Prime Minister. It's not healthy.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is there blacklash against ranked ballot
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

Fuck even better....

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/electoral-reform/

Ranked 4.72 out of 5, at least to the 15169 people who voted on their little poll thing it seems as if it was a pretty important issue for LPC supporters

Should have listened...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    Why is there blacklash against ranked ballot
    Because the Liberals benefit the most. Tradeswind is conveniently forgetting this. Technically Mr Trudeau would benefit from changing the system.