Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy

The Misconception: You take randomness into account when determining cause and effect.
    The Truth: You tend to ignore random chance when the results seem meaningful or when you want a random event to have a meaningful cause.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09...ooter-fallacy/
    Going to hop in, off-topic, and say I just read that and it's really cool. It made a lot of sense, and looking back on my life I can definitely recall times I used that.

Thanks for sharing

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Sorry but Hitler actually loosened gun regulations. After WWI Germans weren't allowed a piece of string, much less a firearm. Adolf gets in power, loosens the laws, people own guns, repeat, until the only people who can't own the guns are the Jews.

Does Wiki count? It has sources that aren't circle jerks in this article.
    I like to link Homage to Catalonia to prove this point. It's harder to write off evidance of government arming of the populace, when it's George Orwell contradicting you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    you'll figure it out when you hit about 30.
    I'm 37, check post history for consistency. Care to explain now?

- - - Updated - - -

kids who dont know what fraud looks like, see fraud, have opinions.
    Do you need me to explain why this doesn't make sense? If someone drew a tree and you didn't know what a tree looks like, you wouldn't see a tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    Going to hop in, off-topic, and say I just read that and it's really cool. It made a lot of sense, and looking back on my life I can definitely recall times I used that.

Thanks for sharing
    It's worse when you consider things that are socially acceptable. Things like the number 7 and 13... it's related to the fallacy, but is accepted as colloquial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kids who don't understand journalism see what journalism look like, have opinions.
    How much you want to bet that if he answers my questions, I'll have him assert the matrix theory? We are already in the realm of not knowing what fraud is, but knowing it when seen. We are just a step away from the defenition of existence, depending on global programming.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

kids who dont know what fraud looks like, see fraud, have opinions.

- - - Updated - - -
    Kids who don't know what fraud look like, see fraud when it isn't there, have opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Talking to sources and relevant parties about your articles and giving them a chance to respond before publishing isn't "fraud" its due diligence.
    Hi - I'm a marketing director.

First of all, if someone circulates a release prior to publication, that's grounds for immediate termination. Not only because it violates every ethic ever written about journalism, but also because it opens to publisher to liability in the event of civil action (and the email in question was, ironically, fundraising).

That's not due diligence. due diligence happens BEFORE the article is sent to editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So again, you refuse to actually say anything to back up your allegations. This seems to be a pattern.
    yeah, there's a pattern - you want to subjectivity an objective allegation to justify your own ineptitude. It's tiresome to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya;42882786
    Do you need me to explain why this doesn't make sense? If someone drew a tree and you didn't know what a tree looks like, you wouldn't see a tree.

[COLOR="#417394"
    - - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

It's worse when you consider things that are socially acceptable. Things like the number 7 and 13... it's related to the fallacy, but is accepted as colloquial.

- - - Updated - - -

How much you want to bet that if he answers my questions, I'll have him assert the matrix theory? We are already in the realm of not knowing what fraud is, but knowing it when seen. We are just a step away from the defenition of existence, depending on global programming.
    it doesnt make sense because you, have no fucking idea what youre talking about. which is ok - i wouldn't expect you to unless you have a career in a production environment. but the strength of your opinions? thats infuriating.... and based on what? cnbc nightly news? Does it dawn on you to think twice when your primary news sources are suspect in the allegation you're blindly defending? probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    you'll figure it out when you hit about 30.
    People saying "When you reach age X, you will get it" usually have no grasp on what they are talking about, in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

First of all, if someone circulates a release prior to publication, that's grounds for immediate termination. Not only because it violates every ethic ever written about journalism, but also because it opens to publisher to liability in the event of civil action (and the email in question was, ironically, fundraising).

That's not due diligence. due diligence happens BEFORE the article is sent to editing.

yeah, there's a pattern - you want to subjectivity an objective allegation to justify your own ineptitude. It's tiresome to say the least.

it doesnt make sense because you, have no fucking idea what youre talking about. which is ok - i wouldn't expect you to unless you have a career in a production environment. but the strength of your opinions? thats infuriating.... and based on what? cnbc nightly news? Does it dawn on you to think twice when your primary news sources are suspect in the allegation you're blindly defending? probably not.
    Your experience as a "marketing director" means absolute dick to what you responded to. Asking someone for a comment before you write or post a story about them, isn't fraud, it is common fucking practice.

Journalism and marketing aren't the same industry.

Hi, I do PR. Nice to meet you!

First of all, if someone circulates a release prior to publication, that's grounds for immediate termination.
    Do you not preseed trusted media under embargo? Because that's literally bog standard PR/marketing 101. You preseed trusted media for major announcements to give them time to prep news stories to go live the second the announcement is officially released. If you are not doing this, no offense, you're missing out on a huge amount of potential coverage for your announcement.

Not only because it violates every ethic ever written about journalism,
    No it doesn't, media receive information under embargo/NDA all the time. The only violation is when they agree to an embargo/NDA and break it.

From the media side? Actually, yes, it is. I regularly get contacted to fact check information about a news story/product/person from media ahead of their stories posting. That's literally part of their due diligence.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-10-20 at 01:26 AM.

Hi, I do PR. Nice to meet you!

Do you not preseed trusted media under embargo? Because that's literally bog standard PR/marketing 101. You preseed trusted media for major announcements to give them time to prep news stories to go live the second the announcement is officially released. If you are not doing this, no offense, you're missing out on a huge amount of potential coverage for your announcement.

No it doesn't, media receive information under embargo/NDA all the time. The only violation is when they agree to an embargo/NDA and break it.

This is the presidential election, not a social media startup - and thats exactly the kind of information thats exhausting to explain to an amateur. Your audience is relevant, your relationship to the subject matter is relevant.

"media" is not a publication. It doesn't imply copyright. it doesn't imply publisher right. you can circulate all the media you want. no one gives a shit.

Publications on the other hand, have legal consequence. that consequence changes quite substantially depending on the field/subject matter.

The subject of you a publication is not a trusted source. That's a huge conflict of interests, and probably the craziest statement I've heard from a supposed PR person.

In many instances you have to DISCLOSE that relationship to your readers or you're subject to liability. Imagine what would happen if someone recommended stock to their readers as per the advise of the CFO, without disclosing that affiliation to the reader......

From the media side? Actually, yes, it is. I regularly get contacted to fact check information about a news story/product/person from media ahead of their stories posting. That's literally part of their due diligence.
    On media?or on publications? In any event, they arent sending you copies of the drafted publication to fact check. Maybe media, but not on a publication. They would then become legally liable (unless you're a contractor, not a 3rd party PR rep).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Your experience as a "marketing director" means absolute dick to what you responded to. Asking someone for a comment before you write or post a story about them, isn't fraud, it is common fucking practice.
    and youre an expert in what area? none? I thought so.

again, you have no idea what youre talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Maybe some evidence, for once? Rather than wacky conspiracy theories: "They have done this, and then she has done this - obviously there is connection here!!!"
    That is not a wacky conspiracy theory, that is what investigators do all the time... connecting the dots. Whether there's anything to them relies on evidence, which wikileaks had a lot of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    I just find it funny that a pathetic excuse of a man, cries about Ecuador turning off the internet access to him, an outlaw that they're kind enough to keep in a hole in the first place.

Keep trying to rig our election though, Assange. That's just what we love, an Australian scumbag, hiding in Ecuador, accepting stolen information from the Russians, and slowly releasing it piece by piece over months, while not even reading through it, in attempts to try and influence our election in favor of the Russia's choice, while at the same time keeping that pompous, windbag relevant.

This garbage is the only thing "rigged" this election cycle. Wikileaks, years ago, became all about one tired boring old man who never was or will be a journalist trying to stoke his ego. Any good they ever did was over long ago.
    Do you have any proof Assage is rigging the election with help from Russia?

Does anyone? Or is it just nonsense to cover up the contents of these emails?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    That is not a wacky conspiracy theory, that is what investigators do all the time... connecting the dots. Whether there's anything to them relies on evidence, which wikileaks had a lot of.
    It's become classic nowadays to respond to everything with, "Wikileaks!". No, buddy, this isn't how it works. Simply saying, "Wikileaks has evidence!", is a void statement. I asked for evidence, not this.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

It's become classic nowadays to respond to everything with, "Wikileaks!". No, buddy, this isn't how it works. Simply saying, "Wikileaks has evidence!", is a void statement. I asked for evidence, not this.
    Well, no, it isn't... because Wikileaks has a very good track record of revealing corruption. Corruption that governments will deny and try to obfuscate.

It was Wikileaks that revealed mass surveillance from the NSA, it was Wikileaks that revealed atrocities in Iraq, etc. You are only saying "it's void" and "it doesn't count as evidence" because it doesn't appeal to your own personal world view.

So really, you aren't anyone to say how something does or does not work. You do not have access to the kind of information that Wikileaks does, which has proven credible in the past. You don't know shit really.

Deleted
    He just did. look at the email.
    How is that proof of Hillary silencing Assange?

This only shows someone from Hillary's campaign had a friend in the press. Is this not a normal thing? Isn't Fox news completely in collusion with Republican interests aswell? This is a whole lot of nothing. Again!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's possible that the "dead man's switch" was holding back the biggest stuff he had. There may yet be something left. We'll see.
    What champion of truth keep things secret? Particularly then it is done to benefiting himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Sorry, what did that have to do with what I said?

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    So you are upset that his 'reveal' wasn't big against the candidate that you support because [Republicans]?
    For the record, I don't live in the US and if I did I wouldn't vote. I just think Assange is a piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    You mean the numerous 'diplomatic' cables of his administration playing kingmaker? You know, that 'meddling' that we aren't supposed to be doing but Clinton gladly supports?
    How has the last 50 years of American foreign policy been anything other than playing kingmaker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    For the record, I don't live in the US and if I did I wouldn't vote. I just think Assange is a piece of shit.

How has the last 50 years of American foreign policy been anything other than playing kingmaker?
    sadly, the refugee crisis is barely covered here in the states. Which, in and of itself, says a lot about the state of the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Well, no, it isn't... because Wikileaks has a very good track record of revealing corruption. Corruption that governments will deny and try to obfuscate.

It was Wikileaks that revealed mass surveillance from the NSA, it was Wikileaks that revealed atrocities in Iraq, etc. You are only saying "it's void" and "it doesn't count as evidence" because it doesn't appeal to your own personal world view.

So really, you aren't anyone to say how something does or does not work. You do not have access to the kind of information that Wikileaks does, which has proven credible in the past. You don't know shit really.
    The majority of documents Wikileaks publishes reveal selfish and morally questionable actions, but not corruption as such. Even that mass surveillance from the NSA part was massively overblown by the media, and if you actually spent time reading the documents published, you know that, for the most part, it was just overuse of lawfully legal acts, not illegal acts per se.

It doesn't matter what my world view is. I can't stand corruption, and if I see the proof of Hillary being corrupt, I will accept it and agree that she should be trialed and jailed. I've yet to see anything that constitutes as proof of her being corrupt though. So if you can point out a document proving it, I will be glad to read it. Or, you can just continue making void statements like, "It is all there, you just don't want to see it". Which, I bet, is exactly what you are going to do.

The majority of documents Wikileaks publishes reveal selfish and morally questionable actions, but not corruption as such. Even that mass surveillance from the NSA part was massively overblown by the media, and if you actually spent time reading the documents published, you know that, for the most part, it was just overuse of lawfully legal acts, not illegal acts per se.

It doesn't matter what my world view is. I can't stand corruption, and if I see the proof of Hillary being corrupt, I will accept it and agree that she should be trialed and jailed. I've yet to see anything that constitutes as proof of her being corrupt though. So if you can point out a document proving it, I will be glad to read it. Or, you can just continue making void statements like, "It is all there, you just don't want to see it". Which, I bet, is exactly what you are going to do.
    May I just say you sound exactly like a Trump fan right now. You are practically justifying and normalising two faced shapeshifting pandering (particularly one motivated by donations and money), you do realise how ridiculous you sound, right?

This sorta back scratching between wall street and her (which makes her rich and make them rich), which basically coerces her to favour them when legislating (just as it did to her husband which repealed Glass Steagal and in part played a big role in the GFC), at the expense of the common folk that voted her in, IS corrupt. It is the very essence of corruption. Legalised corruption is the worst kind of corruption. Segregation was legal at one stage, it doesn't make it any less wrong or racist.

You might do your little technicality of "look it's not corrupt coz it's legal" playaround here, but as I said, so was segregation. It doesn't make it any less wrong, or any less immoral. She and her family gets very rich personally from these paid speeches from these criminals, and when running for president she's now basically being exposed for being two faced about what she's gonna do with wall street, yet you don't think there is anything wrong. Amazing. That's exactly the kind of thing Wikileaks is exposing.

Actually people have been weighing it up and in part her unpopularity and history is a big part of why Trump is getting so much support, part of the reason for Trump's cluster**** rise is on her.

I have yet to see anything released by wikileaks that didn't fit into the "no shit Sherlock" file. Sure some of it may have been important to come to light, but it's not like anything they published was much of a surprise.

Publishing leaks from whistleblowers is a fine goal. I'm dubious of the legitimacy of the wikileaks organisation though based on their recent activities which imply a strong ideological bias to the point of actively meddling in politics for their own personal gain.

And of course their connection to Assange, who is a straight up egotistical braggart and self-aggrandiser. And likely date rapist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.