Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

WoW slowly turning into a solo player game?

On official forums I saw this thread:

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...page=3#post-42

and saw a blue answer in it. I expected Aerythlea to say that WoW is a MMO and content is mostly focused on group play but instead she answered :

"We're working on more activities tailored towards the solo-player. Details about solo-player activites coming in 7.1 will be revealed soon, stay tuned. "

I really don't get it. There are tons of single-player games out there and Blizzard is actually starting to cater to the people who ask for solo content in a MMORPG.

What's the point of playing a multiplayer online game if people are doing their stuff alone?

blizzard is making the same mistake hollywood is

trying to cater to every single possible demographic at the same time
    which will end up in them catering to none of them

Having more things to do on your own doesn't mean the game is going to be single player. Not making this connection between the two says a lot about the poster and post.

Good luck raiding, dungeon-ing and playing a battleground on your own.

Some single player content is always nice, but the main goal will always be group content.

It's always been solo friendly, except for level cap stuff. It used to be that progression was limited to raids, but they've been adding more things to do for solo and small group play over the expansions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    Having more things to do on your own doesn't mean the game is going to be single player. Not making this connection between the two says a lot about the poster and post.

Some single player content is always nice, but the main goal will always be group content.
    This post is really /thread

Deleted
    WoW has always been solo-friendly game. Right from vanilla launch onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post

exactly this are my toughts.

That poster should go play Skyrim, Doom, Bloodborne, Non MMO Final Fantasies, Dishonored, Fallout and many more if they want a single player experience. WoW is not that kind of game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    For sure but a lot of endgame content focuses on grouping and matchmaking. As it should.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    On official forums I saw this thread:

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...page=3#post-42

and saw a blue answer in it. I expected Aerythlea to say that WoW is a MMO and content is mostly focused on group play but instead she answered :

"We're working on more activities tailored towards the solo-player. Details about solo-player activites coming in 7.1 will be revealed soon, stay tuned. "

I really don't get it. There are tons of single-player games out there and Blizzard is actually starting to cater to the people who ask for solo content in a MMORPG.

What's the point of playing a multiplayer online game if people are doing their stuff alone?
    I'd rather do stuff alone than with you, so yay blizzard.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post

An MMORPG is an RPG where there's loads of players in the world to interact with, it doesn't actually mean it's focused on group content.

Prior to the introduction of LFR at the end of Cata only 20% or so of the playerbase raided, almost all players were in it for the solo questing and small group activities. This isn't something new Blizzard are now catering for, it's just they have realised that it was when they started neglecting it that subs started to nosedive so they are trying to fix it in case the correlation reflects some causality.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    blizzard is making the same mistake hollywood is

trying to cater to every single possible demographic at the same time
    which will end up in them catering to none of them
    I thought they were catering to pg movies with the exact same plot. Sold once so why can't we sell it another 1000 times.

Deleted
    I guess its subjective but really playing WoW for the single player experience is a pretty stupid idea. There are so many better single player games out there that are not limited by the MMO design. Why the fuck would I do pet battles if I can just play pokemon? Why fight stupid elite mobs instead of playing a good adventure game where I'm not just farming stuff and actually do epic shit? Or just play a real RPG with actual role play and story that matters.

I know MMOs shouldn't force people to group, but if you don't even want to group up then people like that are morons if they want an MMORPG game to be tailored to them while the genre is the opposite of it.

WoW is already a badly designed MMO with very weak community systems and very few social incentives aside from raids. It blows my mind that people are still not happy with this game that is already catering to anti social people enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    In which crazy alternate universe u have been living in? Wow was never "solo friendly" from the start... max level end-game content was almost 100% group, other then solo signing up for a BG until you get bored of getting smashed by all the premade high warlord/honor farm groups.

On top of this, during leveling and quest progression there were many "Group quests" which are basically non existent now. You actually had to group to finish hard quests while leveling to continue the storyline. There were also not enough quests to level from 1-60 initially and many people had to grind the hell out of dungeons in groups for leveling exp.

Quote Originally Posted by lateralsx5 View Post
    I guess its subjective but really playing WoW for the single player experience is a pretty stupid idea. There are so many better single player games out there that are not limited by the MMO design. Why the fuck would I do pet battles if I can just play pokemon? Why fight stupid elite mobs instead of playing a good adventure game where I'm not just farming stuff and actually do epic shit? Or just play a real RPG with actual role play and story that matters.

I know MMOs shouldn't force people to group, but if you don't even want to group up then people like that are morons if they want an MMORPG game to be tailored to them while the genre is the opposite of it.

WoW is already a badly designed MMO with very weak community systems and very few social incentives aside from raids. It blows my mind that people are still not happy with this game that is already catering to anti social people enough.
    It's not subjective. If you intend to play an MMORPG for a good single player experience when games already exist for that then it is a stupid idea. God forbid an MMO makes you group with people and actually be sociable.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Will people please for the love of God stop reading "all or nothing" into fucking everything?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    That poster should go play Skyrim, Doom, Bloodborne, Non MMO Final Fantasies, Dishonored, Fallout and many more if they want a single player experience. WoW is not that kind of game.
    Hate it when people say that. Many players play WoW not because it is an mmo, they rather play the game because of the lore. They played previous warcraft games which brings them to WoW. And like someone already said, mmorpg doesn't mean it should be focused on group co-ordination. It's a rpg where many players can interact with each other. Whether to solo or group is your choice. Not to mention, in order to get the best gears in WoW, you definitely need to form a decent group.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroxisas View Post
    Hate it when people say that. Many players play WoW not because it is an mmo, they rather play the game because of the lore. They played previous warcraft games which brings them to WoW. And like someone already said, mmorpg doesn't mean it should be focused on group co-ordination. It's a rpg where many players can interact with each other. Whether to solo or group is your choice. Not to mention, in order to get the best gears in WoW, you definitely need to form a decent group.
    And? Fair enough experience the lore solo but again there are alternatives to a proper single player experience. Don't worry I can see it down the line. People will start crying for solo raids that drop loot on par with normal because "muh single player experience"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    In which crazy alternate universe u have been living in? Wow was never "solo friendly" from the start... max level end-game content
    Not talking about end-game, obviously.

When it was launched it was the first MMO where the game didn't punish you if you leveled solo. The rest of the games from that era "forced" grouping even outside end-game.

WoW lowered that bar from the start.

I want those solo scenarios to raids and dungeons.

I don't want to see other players cause they are all toxic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    For sure but a lot of endgame content focuses on grouping and matchmaking. As it should.
    Yes, end-game is naturally grouped content. Always was. Still is. It's just that the "end-game" goalpost has moved a bit. Now there is solo activity at max level as well.