Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No you haven't because once again Nvidia shield requires streaming over a network and this doesn't. Unless the shield can install and play games without needing to stream, You haven't been able to.
    Righto, then I'll link to the Razer handheld that's been able to do this very thing since 2013 as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that this isn't even remotely "new". This is arguably the least innovative system that's come out of Nintendo in a while. They're definitely doubling down on the portability factor, but for once they don't really seem to have any kind of "gimmick" to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Righto, then I'll link to the Razer handheld that's been able to do this very thing since 2013 as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that this isn't even remotely "new".
    For the console market and it is new.

Also is that streamed or local? I don't know much about the razer handheld.

Also that is a $700 tablet and the Nintendo Switch is $300.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Also, ugh, the more I think about it the more I had "Switch" as a name. Seriously, what a boring, uninspired name that's going to get confused by IT folks who work on switches on a daily basis.

Shit, just keeping it the "NX" would have been better than this stupid name.
    I really don't see why anyone would mix it up.... I'm not going to confuse the Nintendo Switch for the light switch in conversation. Nor a switch with which to beat a fool's back side.

From a marketing perspective, they can do a lot with it. Switch from TV to portable. Switch from thinking of console as tethered to TV. Make the switch. Etc, etc.

And this kills it for me as a possible home console and likely does serious damage to their ability to maintain strong third party support from Western publishers.

I can't see the tablet portion coming even close to the Xbox One/PS4 in terms of power now that the docking station apparently doesn't add any additional power/allow for higher clock speeds or anything.

Ugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, you've been able to do that for at least 3+ years with the nVidia Shield...
    Well. I mean, it is running the HD remake for skyrim so it must be at least somewhat close to xbox one
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

But it's not. It's not even really a "console", definitely not a home console. It's a handheld tablet that can connect to a docking station to charge and to output video to a TV. Literally what the Razer handheld is. Like, literally.

Local.

Have they confirmed a price yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Well. I mean, it is running the HD remake for skyrim so it must be at least somewhat close to xbox one
    We can't say for sure yet. Does the remaster really use all the additional power the PS4/Xbone brings or is there plenty of overhead left? Will the Switch output the same native resolution? Same/similar framerates? Will textures etc. all remain the same quality or will have have to downscale?

We simply can't say for certain, but to expect their tiny tablet to compete with a PS4/Xbox One in terms of raw power is kinda silly. If the docking station provided additional power in any form I'd be much more inclined to agree with you. But since it's been confirmed that it doesn't, I can't see how they'll make that work unless the Skyrim remaster leaves tons of overhead on the other current gen consoles.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-10-20 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I really don't see why anyone would mix it up.... I'm not going to confuse the Nintendo Switch for the light switch in conversation. Nor a switch with which to beat a fool's back side.

From a marketing perspective, they can do a lot with it. Switch from TV to portable. Switch from thinking of console as tethered to TV. Make the switch. Etc, etc.
    No one is going to confuse it unless they are really really dumb. The kind of dumb that can't even turn the tv on. Its easy marketing like everyone wanted.

Now can Nintendo fuck up the marketing? Yep but this is so easy I dough they will.

- - - Updated - - -

Have they confirmed a price yet?
    I may be wrong on the price though what I heard was official.

But the leaked price is $300 for the base system and $400 for a bundle. Any higher then that and ya it won't sell at all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Now can Nintendo fuck up the marketing? Yep but this is so easy I dough they will.
    Of course they can.

Just like they did with Wii U (which was basically no marketing), but the Wii?

Nobody is going to know what a "Wii" is, but those "Wii would like to play" commercials were pretty damn solid.

The Edge is literally just a Tablet PC. When you hook it up to the keyboard it's a laptop computer.

Not a really gaming console as much as a gaming PC.

It is also about $700 and doesn't come with with the keyboard and whatnot, so now you are paying more money just for that. So basically for $700 you get a fancy Win8 tablet, and you need to buy the controllers to do anything else with it.

Pretty sure the Switch will be in the $400 range, so price is a benefit here.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post

The screen is sticking out.
    I....really don't see the big deal there. My WiiU Gamepad has NEVER had a protector on it and it's screen is perfect. I doubt that little bit of screen will get damaged unless you really try to.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

The screen is sticking out.
    Yep and if the opinions of the DF are true, that is due to cooling. You can see in the reveal video what looks to be vents on the top of the system.

Won't know until people get hands on with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I....really don't see the big deal there. My WiiU Gamepad has NEVER had a protector on it and it's screen is perfect. I doubt that little bit of screen will get damaged unless you really try to.
    It won't unless people just can't take care of there stuff. Good chance it will have a screen protector or you can buy one anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a pretty big oversight and the screen probably shouldn't be sticking out anyway, despite any reason. It looks ugly. And they should fix it. But the console is 5 months away from releasing so I doubt we're gonna see much change.

God forbid they attach a handle to it instead. Looks even more ridiculous?

they don't really seem to have any kind of "gimmick" to go along with it.
    ...It's the exact same gimmick as the Wii U taken to the next level.

It's a pretty big oversight and the screen probably shouldn't be sticking out anyway, despite any reason. It looks ugly. And they should fix it. But the console is 5 months away from releasing so I doubt we're gonna see much change.
    ...Looks fine to me, and as people have stated it is likely due to cooling. It's not a big deal at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    ...It's the exact same gimmick as the Wii U taken to the next level.
    No motion controls.

No touch screen controls.

It's only the GOOD aspect of the Wii U's gimmick which was the off TV play.

It's only the GOOD aspect of the Wii U's gimmick which was the off TV play.
    Which was the only part of the Wii U widely used... Which was the entire marketing of the system of playing off the tv...

The hilarious part is the Wii U in all likelihood still has a stronger GPU then this thing, just similar cpu power and more memory in it.

Which was the only part of the Wii U widely used... Which was the entire marketing of the system of playing off the tv...
    And the only thing that stopped it from really being a breakthrough was that it was tethered to the console itself. You could only go about 20ft or so from it before you got too far.

With the Switch....no limits other than battery life, so I can see this succeeding as a feature here.

- - - Updated - - -

The hilarious part is the Wii U in all likelihood still has a stronger GPU then this thing, just similar cpu power and more memory in it.
    Actually some reliable leaks have the GPU as being a stronger version of the nVidia one used in their Shield tablets. The power of the Switch is estimated to be on Par with the CURRENT model PS4 (but not the new 4k model).

The power of the Switch is estimated to be on Par with the CURRENT model PS4 (but not the new 4k model).
    By whom? >.>

It's interesting. Nintendo has always built quality hardware, so hopefully this thing will be robust the 1,000th time you snap those controller things onto it.

I don't see how you're getting all that stuff for $300 though. And of course add in the Pro controllers and other accessories.

There will be the usual battery vs. performance trade-offs to learn about. I'm guessing not easily replaceable battery as usual.

It's going to be ARM CPU powered, so something more like a current iPad probably. No way it's going to compete with XBOX ONE / PS4 on raw performance I think. Most likely you're going to see games hosted on engines ported from iOS/Android which already exist for ARM, rather than full blown AAA x86 console engines.

I expect to be disappointed by the software offerings. They may have better partner support but I expect to see the same Wii U style of "special" (as in short bus) versions of game properties rather than actual feature-parity simultaneous release of AAA console titles. Yeah, we get six year old Skyrim with some graphical updates, but mostly I bet it's going to be "casual" gaming titles, and other stuff that runs on phones and tablets. "App developers" are all probably super excited.

They will really need some killer apps, because people are already carrying around pretty amazing game systems in their phones today.

I predict a success level very similar to the Wii U, as I think it will suffer from most of the same problems.

By whom? >.>
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...ailer-3608381/

Nvidia confirmed it is using their tech.
    and we know the specs of said tech.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-produ...ailer-3608381/

Nvidia confirmed it is using their tech.
    and we know the specs of said tech.
    From what it looked like it was running the Skyrim Remaster as well. But we won't know for sure until we get our hands on it.