Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Fuck me I just realized on rewatch that Steven Ogg (Trevor from GTAV) is in this as Rebus, the bandit host last episode (in all of them really, but prominent in the last one). Good ol' local boy!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-10-20 at 12:56 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The 3rd episode has been the least interesting for me, but the first two were great imo.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I think that robit that blonde dude saved that keeps trying to fuck him is the prettiest of all the robits also didn't old boss whore escapee robit say the thingamuwhatsit to her too? I want blonde dude and pretty new boss whore robit to end up together
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

So, I saw the last episode this morning. Kinda still feel the same way as earlier. The premise is interesting but the narrative is totally uninteresting to me. I also really struggle where the style of direction contradicts the premise of the show- the music cues to a degree also are at odds.

Giving it till e5 before I check out just based on the strong premise.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTF is a robit?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I'd forgotten about this, as @Fencers isn't a fan, I felt this episode might push people off that were borderline or wanting a reason to give up on the show. I gave Mad Men 4 episodes and Breaking Bad 1 full season before giving up, and it felt... I don't want to say too fillery, but didn't seem to push the narrative as much as it probably should have.
    I would respectfully disagree. The episode showed a new side of Ford, and that he is going dark for unknown reasons. Lowe progressed to the point of ambivalence or collusion if the issue turns out to be by design rather than flaw (whatever is wrong with the Hosts). We got a more info on William. And we saw clean breaks from programming in two separate incidents - demonstrating that something is going wrong, again by flaw or design.

It also gave us the Authorized Weapons issue to look for (the axe and Dolores being literally unable to pull the trigger) - and how Dolores later successfully overcame that obstacle but then suffered a further malfunction.

It's not going to be some action packed thriller with tons of death - Jonathan Nolan is heading up the writing and he is phenomenal for the slow build.

And I hope it doesn't sound like I'm just picking on you - I'm hoping to extend the conversation is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    This is the first show in ages to keep me entirely hooked every episode so far
    This is me, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    WTF is a robit?
    It's an artificial rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    WTF is a robit?
    He's speaking Zoidbergian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What is the danger? Who cares if Ed Harris blows away hundreds of robots?
    I do. I thought him dragging off Dolores to the barn by the hair to get "re-acquainted" with the help of a combat knife one of the most horrible things I've seen on TV. Especially given the context that he keeps doing it. And she's starting to remember.

With these "sentient robot" stories, I often default to the position that the robots are people, in the sense that they should be accorded the same rights. They look like people, they emote like people. Do they "feel"? I don't know, but they certainly act like they do.

In this show, it's helped for me by the fact that Evan Rachel Wood is mesmerizing - her blend of intelligence and naivete is beguiling. She's definitely the main protagonist in the show for me. But the other troubled robots are also generally more relatable to me, than the rather cold, businesslike people operating the park [1] and the under-developed, typically shallow guests. Vive la revolution!

[1]Bernard excepted. And Antony Hopkins is fantastic, of course, if not exactly relatable. ("Are we old friends?" "No, Dolores, I wouldn't say that.")
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2016-10-20 at 11:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped reading at 'commits sudoku'.

What is the danger? Who cares if Ed Harris blows away hundreds of robots? Am I supposed to feel bad for Thandie Newton's fake scripting?
    Sorry but this seems pretty nit picky. Why is it any different killing robots that are incredibly life like to say a different tv show like Dexter killing fictional serial killers? Both are fictional characters in a fictional world. Having danger is not required to have a compelling story. However having conflict is, and I would say there is a lot of conflict in the show in that it asks the very basic questions of who we are and why we are here. Also, Robots and AI are very current issues about personal safety and national security "Only thing that stops them is a line of code". Its exciting to think about what could happen. And the show is doing it well if like most you have to give it a lot of suspension of disbelief
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2016-10-21 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Why is it any different killing robots that are incredibly life like to say a different tv show like Dexter killing fictional serial killers?
    The premise being the default position is other fictional humans are afforded independent humanity rather than simulated humanity. Which no matter how 'life-like' the robots in Westworld may be, we are told expressly they are the amalgamation of code; distinctly non-human by default and design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-10-21 at 12:34 AM.

Deleted
    The premise being that the default position if that the other fictional humans are afforded independent humanity rathe than simulated humanity. Which no matter how 'life-like' the robots in Westworld may be, we are told expressly they are the amalgamation of code; distinctly non-human by default and design.
    I think the premise in the show is for everyone to do a bit of soul searching on whether they themselves feel OK killing and raping robots which clearly have jumped over the Uncanny Valley, and, to an even larger extent, robots with AI that's clearly in some cases approaching having true consciousness. It requires a bit of empathy on the viewer's part to be able to identify with one or more of the guests, and then become face to face with that quandary. Would you be fine killing something like that? Does it evoke any kind of emotions in you seeing those robots being slaughtered and raped?

Whether it does or not, and whether you're able to find an answer to all of that or not, I think the show has then been successful, as you've held a mirror up to yourself and seen at least something.

The premise being the default position is other fictional humans are afforded independent humanity rather than simulated humanity. Which no matter how 'life-like' the robots in Westworld may be, we are told expressly they are the amalgamation of code; distinctly non-human by default and design.
    I think its my years from working in customer service, That the behavior of rich "pricks" as most of westworlds cilental is made out to be I find it incredibly interesting/accurate how they would treat these robots.

Also how people new to the park experience initial sympathy for the characters in the park but later on quickly devolve to treating them like shit. Pretty honest portrayal of people imo.

And its only 3 episodes in its also hinted towards shady business executive sub plot who has an "end game" with this technology. A estranged mad scientist that helped create the technology also embedded god knows what into the code in the pursuit of AI conciseness. Hosts going off script and learning/remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I would respectfully disagree. The episode showed a new side of Ford, and that he is going dark for unknown reasons. Lowe progressed to the point of ambivalence or collusion if the issue turns out to be by design rather than flaw (whatever is wrong with the Hosts). We got a more info on William. And we saw clean breaks from programming in two separate incidents - demonstrating that something is going wrong, again by flaw or design.

It also gave us the Authorized Weapons issue to look for (the axe and Dolores being literally unable to pull the trigger) - and how Dolores later successfully overcame that obstacle but then suffered a further malfunction.
    See, I felt it was just moving those storylines down the same track a bit, not really giving us anything new or overtly unpredictable (which I'm perfectly fine with, I am fully on board this show).

The weapons bit was very interesting to me, as that was something I had wondered about - sure, guns can give guests a jolt, but that jolt puts down a host - but what about purely physical weapons, which I'd assume means guest on guest violence can and will happen. Knowings a random host simply cannot "instinctually" pick up a knife to defend themselves or another host adds to the presumed guest safety and the oh shit, when a Delores eventually unleashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    See, I felt it was just moving those storylines down the same track a bit, not really giving us anything new or overtly unpredictable (which I'm perfectly fine with, I am fully on board this show).

The weapons bit was very interesting to me, as that was something I had wondered about - sure, guns can give guests a jolt, but that jolt puts down a host - but what about purely physical weapons, which I'd assume means guest on guest violence can and will happen. Knowings a random host simply cannot "instinctually" pick up a knife to defend themselves or another host adds to the presumed guest safety and the oh shit, when a Delores eventually unleashes.
    I wasn't sure that we'd see outright contempt from Ford regarding the Hosts, and that might qualify as "new" - but I do see what you're saying. Aside from the "weapons release authorization" we had more narrative movement than really new or overtly unpredictable.

I too am fully on board with this show.

Wasn't this the very premise of Blade Runner in every way? Where the humans seem more cold and void of emotion than their synthetic counterparts? When the line between synthetic and human becomes so blurred, it makes most people wonder who's more human.

Random thought. The intro music reminds me of something that should be on the castlevania: symphony of the night soundtrack.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Fair enough. However I am having a hard time figuring out where the tension is supposed to be in the show. The directorial style contributes to my sense that the show means to present danger.

What is the danger? Who cares if Ed Harris blows away hundreds of robots? Am I supposed to feel bad for Thandie Newton's fake scripting?

I find it difficult to care about anything happening in the show based on the premise. So far. I'm still early on in watching so this is just my initial reaction and disinterest.
    I dont think there is a true sense of danger just yet, just mystery. I think eps 4-6 are going to heat things up considerably.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure they are non human, but are they alive? Or working towards it? Should the wanton slaughter of living beings be allowed for the enjoyment of humans? If you assume the hosts are simply automatons, then yeh whats the big deal. The point is though, clearly, not all of them are automatons. Some are coming close to gaining sentience.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anthony Hopkins completely owns this show along with Ed Harris, can't wait to see them on screen together next episode. Pretty solid acting with him and Theresa when his expansion has to destroy one of the places she remembers visiting. Just not the sentimental type.

This show is terribly boring.