Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    At work, so this won't be as in depth as I'd like, but gating content and time sinks are an illusion, in a very basic sense. Just for a comparison, let's look at 2 types of players. Player A is like Mafic, the guy who isn't even playing the game and therefore a time sink obviously doesn't exist. In fact, he uses time sink as one reason to play the game, therefore making Blizzard LOSE money instead of MAKE money from a false term in gameplay mechanics. End player A.
    Player B Jen the person playing the game, jumping thru the hoops for the proverbial carrot. The issue of time sinks again is lost on this player, as all of pathfinder 1 can be completed in 1 month of gametime (less the more diehard you are). Whether you play 1 day or 1 month, Blizzqrd makes the same amount of money. Even if Player B completes part 1 and then unsubs until part 2, the same amount of money is made by the company. This is more of Blizzard making the game to keep players playing in their sub time and make the monthly cost viable, giving players a reason to log in over and over, instead of staying logged out for days/weeks at a time. Either way, the profit/loss to the company remains the same.
    The main flaw I see with your reasoning: Completion of part 1 does not unlock flying.

However, for the sake of argument, lets say that a player buys the game, completes part 1, then unsubs until part 2. That's still the box price plus one month. Then an additional month when he/she subs for part 2. Then again for part 3? 4? 5? Each time a month of sub is tacked on without actually knowing when the final completion will be available.

A person who stays subbed the entire time is giving Blizzard even more money because of situations like right now. Pathfinder part 1 could be finished in a month, but 7.1 does not have pathfinder part 2(that we know of, anyway). Any further gaps between stages increases Blizzard profits from players like these.

Now, a person who waits until the final completion is fully visible will not only be able to finish all objectives in one go(if that's how they want to play), but will do so more quickly due to any catch-up mechanics, or even just due to the availability of higher level gear. But even then such a player will be subject to time-gated completion of things like the Order Hall campaign, allowing Blizzard to directly set a minimum time required to unlock flight. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Part 1 can be completed in a month, as you say. If ANY combination of requirements for part 2 onward pushes the time investment past the 1 month mark, it's a clear indication of Blizzard using the carrot of flying to artificially inflate sub profits.

As far as your points go, they are filled with flaws and instead of addressing them and improving on your ideas, you try to justify them more by saying I am twisting your words.
    Because that's what you're doing. I'm sorry if you don't recognize that. Every time I've attempted to clarify my points, they've been subject to straw man responses, or completely misinterpreted.

As far as your points go, they are filled with flaws and instead of addressing them and improving on your ideas, you try to justify them more by saying I am twisting your words. Exactly how is anything twisted when you specifically stated ideas such as "hazardous areas" and "corridor style quests?" This is taking the problems (perceived as such by some people) and moving them to where you don't want them. Even when this thread was new(ish) you talked with others about castles that you could assault different ways, such as ground and air, and having hazards that each. You've used Suramar as examples of things that could be in orporated with flight in regard to tech, yet that again brings us back to things in the air for people to avoid, instead of just using flight what it's for, the convenience and time skip that it is. To make it anything more changes the dynamic of the game, which even I stated couldn't be amazingly good or amazingly bad, yet you will still have people bitch that flight is now a nuisance. This is one major flaw with your ideas, that you will never make everyone happy and these ideas are not as good as they 1st seem to be.

The problem here is that you're looking at all the various arguments and responses I've made in the past, taken them out of context, then mashed them all together. What you need to understand is that many of these arguments and responses are completely separate and compartmentalized, and were never meant as some kind of unified approach. I'm arguing or responding to each point on a case by case basis, within their own context.

I don't have the willpower to repeatedly break each individual argument down into its proper context just for your own personal clarification. I've explained each point multiple times, and if you want to consider them contradictory or false, or flawed, then I can't stop you. As I've said, at this point it's just easier to agree to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Which is a fine opinion. Me on the other hand do enjoy seeing people run by on their mount, interacting with the terrain and other things non-flying.
    Is your desire to see people running around on the ground more important or valuable than my desire to enjoy things from the air? This is why I've suggested in the past that the disparity between the power of flying and ground mounts should be addressed. Choosing between flying or ground should be a REAL choice, with pros and cons to each. That way people like you can enjoy the ground while people like me get the air. Neither side is wrong. Both sides win.

Did you play vanilla? Do you think you would have the same opinion you do now if you never experienced flying or did it change with how convenient flying is? Just curious^^
    A person doesn't have to play vanilla to have experienced the lack of flight. Outside of Cata, every expansion's leveling content was no-flying. Many expansions had no-fly islands or instances used as level-cap content. Not trying to imply anything with this, just pointing out that playing in vanilla isn't the only place to experience a lack of flying.

I don't find the design poor or sloppy. I find it interesting. On the other hand, flying in it self might need a rework. Mobs using some king of ability to drag you down and dismount you, having a short fatigue timer when flying so that you've to decent when it runs out, letting players use grappling hooks to drag players down or something.
    I personally like the idea of activating your flying mount having charges which slowly recover only while you're on the ground. If you activate them too often(such as with the "helicoptor" behavior), you'll be out of charges quickly. But for longer travel it's not an issue. This also seems like it would be the easiest to implement without disrupting Blizzard's ground design hardly at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I would like to see the completion of PF in 7.1, especially if this patch also brings the resolution of the Suramar questline. Honestly, Suramar with its guides is the only zone where no-flying is somehow justified. Everywhere else, it only adds tedium and no gameplay value at all. Grappling hooks are fun for some time, but now it's business as usual. With an item level over 800, and especially with some classes, even scaling mobs are not that much of a problem except the masses of suramar elite guards.

Yeah, when I have started in Classic, I have been a noob. These days are long gone. I am an experienced hero, so why did they take away my flying? I will not feel like a newbie again, only insulted. It's like taking an olympic bicycle rider who won gold medals after gold medals, and force him onto a bike with training wheels again. Or take away his bike because he has to prove his skills once more.
    Any argument that compares a game to real life is a stretch. If this were the case, you would need to hitch your dragon to a post while fighting, and then when finished, unhitch him, mount up and ride away. You would have ONE mount, not 200. WoW is not real life. It is a videogame built on the idea of experiencing content without extreme convenience. Once we prove ourselves on Broken Isles, we'll get the same reward we got on Draenor (a planet we flew on and knew as Outlands).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I took a flight path over Stormheim yesterday and saw a waterfall I've never seen on foot (and I've completed that zone as both Alliance & Horde). I don't understand people saying you see/appreciate more from the ground. It's exactly the opposite for me. Similar experience with MoP as well, the first time I flew over Jade Forest I didn't realize how beautiful it is. Leveling through there all I see are trees.
    And had that FP not taken you majestically past scenery, are you sure mounting up and hopping from A to B would have shown you the same scene? It's the difference between driving and being a passenger. I drive the same road to work everyday, but always see something new when I let my wife drive. FPs are the same for me. I don't have to focus on the direction in which I am heading, simply the view around me on my way to and from.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Is your desire to see people running around on the ground more important or valuable than my desire to enjoy things from the air? This is why I've suggested in the past that the disparity between the power of flying and ground mounts should be addressed. Choosing between flying or ground should be a REAL choice, with pros and cons to each. That way people like you can enjoy the ground while people like me get the air. Neither side is wrong. Both sides win.
    Exactly. Both sides have good reasons and I'm not saying one is right. In that regard I find pathfinder to be a good solution, maybe not in the long therm but at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    A person doesn't have to play vanilla to have experienced the lack of flight. Outside of Cata, every expansion's leveling content was no-flying. Many expansions had no-fly islands or instances used as level-cap content. Not trying to imply anything with this, just pointing out that playing in vanilla isn't the only place to experience a lack of flying.
    Yeah, much true. Was what came to mind^^ I mean, in vanilla, ground mounts was the height of travel, in TBC it switched to flying and that changes perspective.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Deleted
    What I really hate is, when I want to help a guild mate with a group rare, chances are very high that he will kill it with some randoms who come along before I can arrive on a flight taxi. I would be faster on my flying mount, but I have to take the scenic flight paths. And don't tell me that they have been optimised. I have been circling around today on a stupid griffon who did an almost full 360° movement before landing, while there was literally no obstacle in the air preventing the damn thing to land directly. FUCKERS.

- - - Updated - - -

[SNIP] Which is a fine opinion. Me on the other hand do enjoy seeing people run by on their mount, interacting with the terrain and other things non-flying. Did you play vanilla? Do you think you would have the same opinion you do now if you never experienced flying or did it change with how convenient flying is? Just curious^^ [SNIP]
    Yes, I have played Classic, started in Dec. 2005 around Christmas. Mage was my first class, and probably will be forever my main because I love the class fantasy, even if it's butchered by the current spec design (forgetting most frost spells when going fire... but keeping ice barrier and block? WTF?). I was quite a noob and had to borrow money to get my first riding skill and mount at 40, and farm for half a year to get epic riding at 60. I started raiding quite late, because my PC was very slow, barely enough for minimal requirements, and cound not even handle my character running through a major capital (OG, SW or IF) without turning into a lagfest.

But I did not have any problems with making enough money for basic flying, or epic flying. I loved flying from the first moment I got it, even with 60% speed. I got Netherwing drakes on 2 characters (my first main, then my new main after a switch from Alliance to Horde and a different server without transfer / racechange), Netherrays on some more, 4 characters with the Violet Proto-Drake and 2 characters with the Red Proto-Drake. Collecting mounts complimented my love for flight quite well.

Now, Legion is not only unfriendly to pro-flyers, but mount collectors as well. I feel cheated somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Fan View Post
    And had that FP not taken you majestically past scenery, are you sure mounting up and hopping from A to B would have shown you the same scene? It's the difference between driving and being a passenger. I drive the same road to work everyday, but always see something new when I let my wife drive. FPs are the same for me. I don't have to focus on the direction in which I am heading, simply the view around me on my way to and from.
    Actually, yes. I hate FPs with a passion, so I usually alt+tab during them, check my phone, watch TV, anything other than sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting to get where I want to go. It just so happened I was paying attention because it was shortly after departing from Dalaran.

Besides, I'm not a 'hopper'. I'm the type to fly around just to look at everything, even pausing to take screenshots.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I took a flight path over Stormheim yesterday and saw a waterfall I've never seen on foot (and I've completed that zone as both Alliance & Horde). I don't understand people saying you see/appreciate more from the ground. It's exactly the opposite for me. Similar experience with MoP as well, the first time I flew over Jade Forest I didn't realize how beautiful it is. Leveling through there all I see are trees.
    Another example I would have to add is Frostftire ridge as it has a bad reputation with some players. But for the air you appreciate more the way it was designed to be a barren zone similar to Dragonblight from WotLK.

Any argument that compares a game to real life is a stretch....
    30 seconds later...

It's the difference between driving and being a passenger. I drive the same road to work everyday, but always see something new when I let my wife drive. FPs are the same for me...
    You remind me so much of Walter/Superman it is scary.

Having completed Pathfinder part one and well on the way to exalted with all factions, I am currently not bothering to do any WQ that isnt a item upgrade or for an emissary quest. Even then, I choose the 4 closest to the fp's and whistle back. Fuck that terrain.

Mate of mine started playing again after skipping WoD, and after 30 mins of doing wq's he said "Brilliant idea, remove flying and make the world a pain in the ass to get around in. What fucking fun." Got a chuckle out of me.
    Last edited by CheeseSandwich; 2016-10-20 at 08:41 PM.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

Any argument that compares a game to real life is a stretch...
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    30 seconds later...
    It's the difference between driving and being a passenger. I drive the same road to work everyday, but always see something new when I let my wife drive. FPs are the same for me....
    Rofl, very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Exactly. Both sides have good reasons and I'm not saying one is right. In that regard I find pathfinder to be a good solution, maybe not in the long therm but at least for now.
    Except that even now there's not actually any choice to be had. Pathfinder part 1 doesn't unlock flying. 7.1 doesn't have flying. And unless 7.2 and onward introduces a massive volume of new content to use flying on, there still really isn't much of a choice.

This is why I keep trying to point out just how bad Pathfinder is.

I don't see how anti flyers have good reasons given that these so called dragons were slayed when WoD's anti flying experiment crashed and burned even making Pepe wince.. If the best reason is that players like warlocks can abuse self rez to avoid the maze design of High Mountain that straight up is messed up and the WoW devs failed with world design and ground and pound utopia.

- - - Updated - - -

30 seconds later...

Having completed Pathfinder part one and well on the way to exalted with all factions, I am currently not bothering to do any WQ that isnt a item upgrade or for an emissary quest. Even then, I choose the 4 closest to the fp's and whistle back. Fuck that terrain.

Mate of mine started playing again after skipping WoD, and after 30 mins of doing wq's he said "Brilliant idea, remove flying and make the world a pain in the ass to get around in. What fucking fun." Got a chuckle out of me.
    Superman/Walter etc went back and forth going to extremes from pro flying to anti flying. True pro flyers have been consistent from the start and I personally have not deviated from what I believe and have stayed on topic.

If Superman/Walter/Legon fan wants to keep derailing the thread then that is that person's choice.

I will keep discussing the thread topic at hand which is flying in Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, yes. I hate FPs with a passion, so I usually alt+tab during them, check my phone, watch TV, anything other than sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting to get where I want to go. It just so happened I was paying attention because it was shortly after departing from Dalaran.

Besides, I'm not a 'hopper'. I'm the type to fly around just to look at everything, even pausing to take screenshots.
    Blizzard did a half hearted effort to improve flight paths in WoD and argued they cant do it for the other flight paths in the game because of "reasons"

Players noted early on how poor flight paths were in WoD. In legion they threw in the white flag as they have the flight whistle so you can even avoid looking for a flight path and just go afk.

If Blizzard was serious about no flying mounts world they would have made a full court press to improve all flight paths but again that requires time and effort (like it requires for testing flying mounts).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    What I really hate is, when I want to help a guild mate with a group rare, chances are very high that he will kill it with some randoms who come along before I can arrive on a flight taxi. I would be faster on my flying mount, but I have to take the scenic flight paths. And don't tell me that they have been optimised. I have been circling around today on a stupid griffon who did an almost full 360° movement before landing, while there was literally no obstacle in the air preventing the damn thing to land directly.
    With the tagging system there is no reason to have players wait for guildies to help out. Just have one of the CRZ players help out and they go on their way but you can't interact with the CRZ player. That player might as well be a bot.

If this is the best that no flying has to offer as a world experience. I do not want. Pass. The illusion of a full world when players can't interact with each other, can't even interact from the air and are stuck in a maze is the epitomy of boring, boring, boring.

7+ Year Old Account
    30 seconds later...

Although my example references life, there's no direct correlation made to how I get around in the game. I was simply stating that sometimes being a passenger instead of a pilot is not a horrible thing. At least Blizz listened and put our mounts into the Flight Paths so when we go out on our own, we at least see our more popular mount picks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    If Superman/Walter/Legon fan wants to keep derailing the thread then that is that person's choice.

Don't know who you think I am, but I can assure you I am just me. As for the topic of the thread, allow me to stay on topic as well:

There was no flying confirmed in 7.0. There you go. Topic covered. As for flying, we likely won't even see it on the PTR until at least 7.2. In another poll thread I launched asking about the specific Achievement unlocking, it would appear the majority either assumes it will be 7.2 or later, or actually WANT it later in the expac like 7.3 or right before 8.0. There won't be flight in Legion for at least another 7 months, maybe 10. There you have it. Facts about flight blended with personal opinion. No attacks, and completely on topic.

When the WoW devs doubled the rep grinds and attached a raiding requirement for just part 1 of Legion patch finder it was clear to me that it is artificial gating to the max. The only thing left that they could do is force people to do rated PVP arena to complete the patchfinder achievement to fly in Legion.

And if I had to guess that would go as well as a lead balloon on a sunny day.

Lets be honest. Are there bean counters saying increase raid participation and keep flying in the game? Probably, so this may be their best solution to solve two problems for them. But that only benefits the devs and not the players. What about the players? The players have a right and say in the future of the game and game systems.

The about 180 on the PVP gearing system in 7.1 show the WoW devs are capable of changing when met with resistance from players. So, the only element left in this equation is time and we must wait for the circling of wagons. The timing isn't right as it is still early into the chill of the night...but as dawn nears aka mid expansion...you better believe things will move quickly for flying in Legion...for better or worse. Either things improve or degrade from here on out for flying in Legion.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2016-10-21 at 12:30 AM.

actually WANT it later in the expac like 7.3 or right before 8.0
    Like I pointed out, your poll was directed at when people thought it was coming out. Even if you threw in a caveat of 'what would you want to see?' (which you did not), it would be misleading to say the poll reflects what people WANT.

There are also quite a few responses in that thread with people wanting flight earlier/now. Most of the responses have been neutral responses answering the topic question. When you say most people want flight later, you're just seeing what you want to see.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2016-10-21 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Legon fan wants to keep derailing the thread then that is that person's choice.

2 minutes later

When the WoW devs doubled the rep grinds and attached a raiding requirement for just part 1 of Legion patch finder it was clear to me that it is artificial gating to the max. The only thing left that they could do is force people to do rated PVP arena to complete the patchfinder achievement to fly in Legion.

And if I had to guess that would go as well as a lead balloon on a sunny day.

Lets be honest. Are there bean counters saying increase raid participation and keep flying in the game? Probably, so this may be their best solution to solve two problems for them. But that only benefits the devs and not the players. What about the players? The players have a right and say in the future of the game and game systems.

The about 180 on the PVP gearing system in 7.1 show the WoW devs are capable of changing when met with resistance from players. So, the only element left in this equation is time and we must wait for the circling of wagons. The timing isn't right as it is still early into the chill of the night...but as dawn nears aka mid expansion...you better believe things will move quickly for flying in Legion...for better or worse. Either things improve or degrade from hear on out for flying in Legion.
    Broken Isles Pathfinder Part One only rewards a mount speed bonus.

Tom Chilton gave an interview where he discusses Legion and how in it's current state, drew MORE starting players than any other expansion before it (meaning subs were above 12M of Cata at some point).

At 11:20 he talks about the amount of patch content to be delivered, and it could be assumed that maybe it is a small patch that delivers Pathfinder pt 2 (and 3 if they choose to break it out into a trilogy meta).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPKJe1KJ1w&t=6m30s

Preach covers how integral zone design was for WotLK success. Particularly how flying was designed in mind with Stormpeaks and Icecrown. In fact, if you think about it those zones they are still memorable while in WoD the only memorable zones are Shadowmoon/Frostfire Ridge and the the big reason why is because that is where garrisons were located at. Even the copy pasta designs of zones trying to rip of the WotLK zones like Stormheim are still inferior to Howling Fjord or Highmountain is inferior to Grizzly Hills etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Like I pointed out, your poll was directed at when people thought it was coming out. Even if you threw in a caveat of 'what would you want to see?' (which you did not), it would be misleading to say the poll reflects what people WANT.

There are also quite a few responses in that thread with people wanting flight earlier/now. Most of the responses have been neutral responses answering the topic question. When you say most people want flight later, you're just seeing what you want to see.
    Judging from the responses, there are a fair amount of people asking for flight to either come at the end of the expac, or not at all. Though this is just a tiny little fraction of opinions on a 3rd party site where most players never visit. So it's difficult to assess what the sample really represents. Kinda like 5 people who want flight.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPKJe1KJ1w&t=6m30s

Preach covers how integral zone design was for WotLK success. Particularly how flying was designed in mind with Stormpeaks and Icecrown. In fact, if you think about it those zones they are still memorable while in WoD the only memorable zones are Shadowmoon/Frostfire Ridge and the the big reason why is because that is where garrisons were located at. Even the copy pasta designs of zones trying to rip of the WotLK zones like Stormheim are still inferior to Howling Fjord or Highmountain is inferior to Grizzly Hills etc.
    Not sure why you are talking about Wrath. This thread is about flight in Legion. Pretty sure you are derailing the topic to issue a narrative unrelated to flight in Legion.

Not sure why you are talking about Wrath. This thread is about flight in Legion. Pretty sure you are derailing the topic to issue a narrative unrelated to flight in Legion.
    I believe it's being used as an example of how flight can be used to enhance the game-world instead of supposedly trivializing it.

There's a pretty common theme of claiming that flight ruins content, somehow. So it's natural to point to existing examples where that isn't true.

30 seconds later...
    Pretty much the same for me.

If I had flight I would actually be doing all if not most of the WQs offered to me. W/out it I do exactly what you are saying.

Goes back to the two questions I asked that sum it up nicely.

Anti flight people what are you doing now that you will not be doing once flight is enabled. The only answer I received was "Seeing people out in the world running between objectives"

Pro Flight people what will you be doing that you refuse to do now once flight is enabled.
    1. More WQs
    2. Archeology
    3. Catch the last 1 or 2 ellusive wild battle pets
    4. Leveling alts
    5. Staying subbed

Ignoring number 5 (cause that pretty much answers my next question), what option you think is going to retain more subs?
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Anti flight people what are you doing now that you will not be doing once flight is enabled.
    Quoting myself: Happily enjoying the world-feels-alive immersion and hustle-and-bustle that comes from players moving back and forth along the ground between flight paths to WQ / other ground based objectives etc. If flight was enabled, everyone would simply fly from A to B - and what im doing/enjoying right now would dissappear.

Its very satisfying right now to land at some random flight path, and run towards some obscure WQ objective somwhere - and see tons of people along the way (on their ground mounts) interacting/navigating the world alongside you. If we all fly, everything in between is lost, and whats in between is what makes for a better game.

The importance of the above to the quality of the game, trumps all your rubbish pseudo-'points' 1-5 (which aren't true to begin with - but i'll entertain the illusion that we're believing them for now).
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-10-21 at 06:59 AM.