H Cenarius Malfurion Roots

Is there a downside to not freeing Malfurion from the roots in the last phase of the Cenarius fight other than no Cleansed Ground?

Last night we wiped with 5 million health left on Cenarius due to no tank CD for spear. I did 4.83 million damage to the roots alone. We could have killed it if we ignored roots.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on stacks really... we typically broke Malfurion out of 1-2 sets of roots if needed in the first couple of weeks. As long as you get a clean transition into P2 you probably don't need to at all assuming your dps is high enough as everyone will have just reset stacks shortly before.

Sub 20% there's almost definitely not going to be a benefit to it, especially as you start running low on space.

The bigger issue is, how did you run out of tank CDs for Spear? If you just use active mit+1 cooldown for it, you should be able to do loads of spears without taking up a huge amount of space. What tanks do you have?
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly imho, if you are that close just zerg it. That is literally 2 or 3 GCDs depending on if you have a good bit of people up or not

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on stacks really... we typically broke Malfurion out of 1-2 sets of roots if needed in the first couple of weeks. As long as you get a clean transition into P2 you probably don't need to at all assuming your dps is high enough as everyone will have just reset stacks shortly before.

Sub 20% there's almost definitely not going to be a benefit to it, especially as you start running low on space.

The bigger issue is, how did you run out of tank CDs for Spear? If you just use active mit+1 cooldown for it, you should be able to do loads of spears without taking up a huge amount of space. What tanks do you have?
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Deleted
    killed heroic cenarius since week 1, never broke malfurion out.

We have a Prot Pally and DK. It was our DK that didn't have a CD. I'm not entirely sure why.

We're going back in tonight and will probably ignore the roots.
    Last edited by Taalyn; 2016-10-20 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    We have a Prot Pally and DK. It was our DK that didn't have a CD. I'm not entirely sure why.
    This seems to be a general DK thing, don't strangulate me if I generalized too much. The DK I tank with occasionally doesn't have enough mitigation or CDs to keep the pool small enough for bit slower kill, his not a bad player for the matter. While I as a guardian make miniscule spots of purple stuff due to CDs+´mitigation. HE needs help in form of externals.

For ignoring Malfurion's roots you need good healers, high DPS and people with low stacks. As the cleansing pool(s) if not used up will vanish when new phase/forces come, then you can drop the stacks on as many people as possible before you transition. Our healers said that in a 30 man group, with 7(2x shaman, 3x druid, hapala, mw) healers 30 stacks is decent to heal, over 40 bit tougher depending on mana.

Make the pally go first. DK 2nd with Sac from prot pally on top of what he has. Pally third. DK 4th with BoP from prot pally. Pally 5th. DK 6th if you somehow get this far and use holy pally bop or externals. Its not that bad. Tbh if you are getting more than 4 smashes your raid is very dead or something.

It was our DK that didn't have a CD. I'm not entirely sure why.
    dks dont do incredibly well with the spear. the only actual mitigation they have is from bone shield and talents. shields dont seem to work, but i might be mistaken on that one. i tried a double deathstrike, rune tap, and had spectral deflection. granted my alts gear was pretty horrible, but it was still bigger than any other tank we had used, while doing everything possible.

back on topic.... killing roots depends on your dps and heals. if you have fairly good dps and heals, but have a lot of stacks going into that phase, its probly a good idea to break him out once, then burn the boss. otherwise, you can just ignore roots completely if you have good dps.

Our grp didnt really have super good dps and i think we just did first roots and then burn him.

We 2 shot it last night and ignored roots entirely. We also went from our usual 25/30 down to 20 because some healers were out.

Outside of the tanks own CDs we only had to use Iron bark and Life Cocoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    This seems to be a general DK thing, don't strangulate me if I generalized too much. The DK I tank with occasionally doesn't have enough mitigation or CDs to keep the pool small enough for bit slower kill, his not a bad player for the matter. While I as a guardian make miniscule spots of purple stuff due to CDs+´mitigation. HE needs help in form of externals.

For ignoring Malfurion's roots you need good healers, high DPS and people with low stacks. As the cleansing pool(s) if not used up will vanish when new phase/forces come, then you can drop the stacks on as many people as possible before you transition. Our healers said that in a 30 man group, with 7(2x shaman, 3x druid, hapala, mw) healers 30 stacks is decent to heal, over 40 bit tougher depending on mana.
    DKs got no CDs, that's the issue. Or we got that stupid Vampiric Blood that increases healing taken, and AMS. The whole class is rather weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

This was a PUG I did with some Aussies. I've always ignored Malfurion. DPS is good but not super good, 200-250k. Biggest deal I think are the tanks, prot pallies are amazing for that fight. I can spellward, take about no damage one spear, then bubble + taunt and take no damage the next. Also sac the other tank when he takes the spear. Corruption covered maybe 15% of the room in that fight.
    Last edited by Poshadin; 2016-10-21 at 12:57 PM.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

Deleted
    Afaik malfurion would cleanse the ground once before getting rooted after 35%. So if everyone cleanses there you don't have to free him as the boss would be dead before stacks get too high.

We're going back in tonight and will probably ignore the roots.
    Is your Blood DK running rune tap? Because that talent is almost mandatory for that fight because of the spear mechanic. We have a DH and Blood DK (myself) and we only had maybe half the room covered in purple poop after each taking 2 spears before killing him.

Probably best to break Malfurion out once and then ignore him after everyone clears stacks. If he's up long enough for stacks to get high again then you likely have the room covered in shit anyway.

If you can kill H- Cenarius, you ought to have the DPS to kill him in P2 without breaking Malf out of roots. That said, the damage needed to break Malf out is trivial, and it guarantees you don't wipe to him dying. I'd recommend not breaking him out and only doing it if it turns out to actually be a problem for you.

I dont want to open a another thread. but im having problems with heroic Cenarius he goes phase 2 even he is not in 35% (he is between 35% and 40%) he starts phase 2 just after 5th wave spawn and we die because we cant deal with phase 2 and the adds at the same time.

pd: sorry bad english