10+ Year Old Account

Tell me what I am doing wrong because its embarrassing

I have been checking out forums and everyone that posts logs seems to get quality advice to help them improve so here I am. I have logs on our raid night and I have some very poor dps for ursoc. I know that with my gear I should be pulling much MUCH higher dps so I come here to see what is wrong. I know momentum needs to be used at high fury to get the most out of it and you should TG then CSx2. My hitbox usage could be improved so I know I need to work on that. I did get the 870 trink off ursoc after the kill so any advice given can you please include that into the discussion. I have read that with that trink it might be better to run demon blades due to the haste procs. I am up for anything to improve my dps and to stop shaming the DH community.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=7

Have you tried using the compare feature in warcraft logs? You can search other DHs with simlar killtimes, gear lvls, raid size etc.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

One thing I noticed right off the bat is, A. You have no damage from mark of the satyr which means you dont have a neck enchant. This accounts for about 1-2 million damage deficit in most fights. B. You are using blade dance throughout the fight. I don't believe it is a dps increase on ST. Lack of pot usage also accounts for about a 6 million damage deficit. Just between the enchant and pot, you are essentially loosing out on about 8 million damage. If you look a the lust phase, you'll notice he spikes up to aroound 700k vs your 460k dps. You may wanna look through the timeline to analyze how he is utilizing cds/pot usage etc. And the main thing I see is just a lack of annihilation damage and thats like because you are using blade dance.

Disclaimer: I do not main a DH myself, but this is a very facile way to kinda of take a look at where my raiders performance issues may be and may prove useful for yourself in the future to develop this skill.

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It helps a bunch. I am new to log watching as this is the first time I am full time dps for an expansion. I used to main heal so I was not so worried about being chart topping so long the raid lived. I will use the compare tool to see what I am doing wrong compared to other top parsing dh so thank you for bringing that to my attention. I think I got a new neck the other day and forgot to enchant it so that is wrong doing on my end completely. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post and giving me productive feedback.

As he said, enchants and gems are important.

Blade Dance is bad, Death Sweep is worse unless you're hitting more than one target. You lost an Eye Beam due to delaying it. You lot a total of 30 seconds due to either knock backs or mechanics. Not much you could have done, but something to note. I *feel* like you're not casting enough chaos strikes, though I'm not sure where you're losing them. My sim agrees - you should be close to 1:1 with Demon bite & chaos strike.

From my sim, your char should be able to pull, in perfect conditions ~289k DPS. I'd guestimate in practice you should be aiming for 275kish. I'd suggest practicing on a dummy until you're around 230k+ after 3-5 minutes *single target*. Beyond that, Enchants/gems and Inner Demons are both worth about 10k dps each.

Comparing you to other DHs, I think your opener is very wrong.

As far as I know, your opener should be: Fel Rush>Throw Glaive, Get ~60 fury, pop metamorphisis, Fel Rush for Momentum, pop Chaos blades, immediately cast throw glaive, Fury of the Illidary, Vengeful Retreat then go into your normal priority. Or forgo getting 60 fury and pop metamorphisis>fel rush>chaos blades>throw glaives>fury>vengeful retreat>normal priority.

Your opener is Chaos blades>Throw Glaives>Demon's bite>Chaos Strike>Vengeful Retreat>Fury of the Illidari>Meta>normal rotation. You're losing A LOT of dps there.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah my opener is garbage and I have been messing around with it to figure out what works on ursoc since he has travel time to tanks but I will get the right opener down and try to get my DB and CS more on an even scale. Thank you for pointing things out. I am glad that I came here for help.

I've spent a bit of time looking at your log here and the #1 conclusion that I'm arriving at is that you simply aren't spamming your abilities fast enough. The number of Chaos Strikes you are casting per minute is lower than the number I am casting per minute.

Now: I am playing Demon Blades and you are playing Prep, so you are having to manually spam your fury generator while I am not.

I compared your logs to my own.
    Your fight lasted 4:37 and you cast Chaos Strike 51 times, with another 15 Annihilations.
    In one of my Ursoc logs that lasted 3:27, I cast Chaos Strike 47 times and Annihilation 14 times.

The amazing thing here is that your 14 Annihilations came over TWO casts of meta, whereas my 15 Annihilations came within one single meta. That can't be attributed to a lucky string of crits refunding fury, either, because your crit % on Anni was actually 2% higher than mine.

So my advice is to spam harder. And maybe also consider demon blades if that's not working for you.
    Last edited by ufta; 2016-10-21 at 04:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest problem after listening to everyone's response to my logs is that I am not using chaos strike enough. I will remove blade dance out of the single target rotation which will help that and I think I need to do something to increase the amount of fury I have going into momentum. My only issue with using demon blades is do I just spam chaso blades while waiting for fury after using throw glaive and under momentum buff? I guess with the latest trink I got I can move over to demon blades and try that play style out a bit.

Should we use eye beam on st with anguish? I see top dhs on ursoc are using this but Im not sure if its for clone or just they use this in st rota.

Eye Beam is part of the ST only with Anguish+Eye Beam damage trait, and only when you know you will not have adds in the CD period.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie View Post
    My biggest problem after listening to everyone's response to my logs is that I am not using chaos strike enough. I will remove blade dance out of the single target rotation which will help that and I think I need to do something to increase the amount of fury I have going into momentum. My only issue with using demon blades is do I just spam chaso blades while waiting for fury after using throw glaive and under momentum buff? I guess with the latest trink I got I can move over to demon blades and try that play style out a bit.
    Demon Blades does perform a bit better with the Ursoc trinket; I also got an 870 version of it recently and have been enjoying the spec a bit more now.

That being said, dropping Blade Dance from single target will absolutely help. It costs 35 Fury to cast it and you're averaging 162.7k damage on it and 205k on Death Sweep (Meta Blade Dance). The easiest way to compare this is to break it down to the damage per fury spent (DPF for this) and see what gives you the most bang for your buck. If you take the 162k and divide it by the 35 Fury it costs you, you're getting about 4648 DPF on Blade Dance. Compare this to your average Chaos Strike of 288.7k for 40 fury, and with Chaos Strike you're getting 7217 DPF on Chaos Strike. Now look at Eye Beam; with the artifact passive included, you're averaging 535.4k per cast for 50 Fury, resulting in a DPF of 10708.

So for your rotation if you have the cooldowns available, you should always cast Eye Beam > Chaos Strike > Blade Dance based on the damage per fury spent on these abilities on a single target. Obviously AoE situations can have an affect here, but this is a fairly simple way to compare your abilities and see what is worth using.

Another large factor is your lack of proper consumable usage. Checking your buffs, we can see that for this particular encounter you did not have a flask active at all and you were still using WoD potions of agility instead of using Old War potions. To be clear on how important these things are, the new flask gives 1300 agility. The Draenor Agility potion gives 1000 Agility for the duration of it's usage. Having a Seventh Demon flask on is the equivalent of having 1.3 Draenor agi pots running for the entire fight. This difference cannot be understated! Proper consumable usage is very important. I also checked my most recent Ursoc kill on heroic as well to check for my Old War potion damage and give you an idea of what you're missing out on; between the pre-pot and the one popped later in the fight, the 2 potions contributed over 5 million damage to my DPS. Add in a proper neck enchant and you're looking at probably another million damage over the course of the fight as well, so you're missing 6 million damage (roughly) just in using the right enchants and potions, and a massive amount in adding in a proper flask as well.