Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How does a Ret kill a Frost Mage? 1v1

Seriously, how?

Passive slows, active slows, a freeze (or multiple), can Blink out of stuns, etc. And the only counter that a Ret Paladin has (Blessing of Freedom), can be spellstolen.

I'm all for soft counters, but this is way beyond that. There's literally no way to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Seriously, how?

Passive slows, active slows, a freeze (or multiple), can Blink out of stuns, etc. And the only counter that a Ret Paladin has (Blessing of Freedom), can be spellstolen.

I'm all for soft counters, but this is way beyond that. There's literally no way to do it.
    Rets need a paper for their rock. Against a good Mage who knows how to counter their mobility, not much they can do unless it's a duel where the Mage can't run too far without leaving dueling space...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    The game is not balanced around 1v1. Or 2v2, 3v3, battlegrounds, dungeons or raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hump pillar and rely on judgement damage. You have heals and they don't so as long as you can stay out of LoS and force them into closer range, you should have a chance.
    Still frost is a bitch for Ret, since they can steal pretty much every defensive we have and not have to worry about mana like arcane does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Hump pillar and rely on judgement damage. You have heals and they don't so as long as you can stay out of LoS and force them into closer range, you should have a chance.
    Still frost is a bitch for Ret, since they can steal pretty much every defensive we have and not have to worry about mana like arcane does.
    Yeah, this is pretty solid advice, thanks. I always just chase, trying to get close, but that's an absolute no-go!

Good advise, also make macro to cancel aura on freedoms + SOV, also you MUST spec holy wrath when fighting mages, i was left 1v1 vs a frost mage in earlier 2s rated bracket, and i cant tell how happy did it make me when slowly moving towards mage with sub 8% hp (him thinking he got me, so just standing there and pve casting me) then BOOM, he is dead. So ya Holy Wrath is a must.

Also if it is a duel or wpvp (not arena) i would suggest going mass judgement talent 100% crit above 50% hp.

Level engineering for nitro boots (wpvp only), have an HP pot ready. I also have PvE tank trinkets that provide versality flat buff and absorb that explodes back on a target, i find it very helpful but this more for Wpvp.

In arena, you need hump pillar, be very patient do not run out on open for no good reason, save ur bubble for a killing strike, and do NOT let them eat. I also like to use auto trinket 1 min cd or flat 25% cd reduction, personally (my opinion) i do not like trinket on use vs mage cuz i feel cd just too long for amount of cc they can throw at you.

Also use JV vs mages, i find those a life saving tool when at low hp and they think they can finish you off quickly, hence just casting instead of kiting you.
    Last edited by Snegovik; 2016-10-20 at 09:36 PM.

Impossible in a duel if mage knows what hes doing, in an arena, with LoS, easy, gotta use lame tactics, but easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Impossible in a duel if mage knows what hes doing, in an arena, with LoS, easy, gotta use lame tactics, but easy.
    lol yes on open without LOS if mage is good there is like very very little chance unless he fuks up big time or catch him in a hoj after his blink/trinket/ib is down

relentless, law and order, a pillar, holy ritual and cancel macros for vengeance/freedom/bop.

Quote Originally Posted by MintChocCip View Post
    relentless, law and order, a pillar, holy ritual and cancel macros for vengeance/freedom/bop.
    when i am low like 8% hp, i actually cast BOP on purpose and let them SS it of me, so that they dont DPS me down XD

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    when i am low like 8% hp, i actually cast BOP on purpose and let them SS it of me, so that they dont DPS me down XD
    yeah its really a last ditch move but it works, if you're fast enough and cancel it before they spell steal they lose the gcd entirely. plus hte bop heals when u cancel it or its stolen off of you regardless

Quote Originally Posted by MintChocCip View Post
    yeah its really a last ditch move but it works, if you're fast enough and cancel it before they spell steal they lose the gcd entirely. plus hte bop heals when u cancel it or its stolen off of you regardless
    dont you love to what extent Rets must go to beat a silly Mage >.< we need to get super creative lmao just to have a 25% chance to beat mage...our arch enemy since EVER >.<....those damn mages!

And it just happens that a LOT of high cr 3s comp have mages in them, lovely =)

Deleted
    You know mages can conjure food right? The can play that game aswell.

Sheep > go away and eat food > come back to own your face now that you wasted your CD's.

Against a good one theres really nothing you can do, unless he makes mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Good advise, also make macro to cancel aura on freedoms + SOV, also you MUST spec holy wrath when fighting mages, i was left 1v1 vs a frost mage in earlier 2s rated bracket, and i cant tell how happy did it make me when slowly moving towards mage with sub 8% hp (him thinking he got me, so just standing there and pve casting me) then BOOM, he is dead. So ya Holy Wrath is a must.
    I swear to god this is exactly what happened to me as a frost mage in 2s a while back. 800k+ Holy Wrath to the face and I dropped........I found you ya lil shit hahaha

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    The game is not balanced around 1v1. Or 2v2, 3v3, battlegrounds, dungeons or raids.
    Which is laughable, you just wrote down almost every pvp scenario...seriously how fucking stupid is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Which is laughable, you just wrote down almost every pvp scenario...seriously how fucking stupid is that?
    i think thats the point he was making m8
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Stormreaver View Post
    I swear to god this is exactly what happened to me as a frost mage in 2s a while back. 800k+ Holy Wrath to the face and I dropped........I found you ya lil shit hahaha
    LOL LOL LOL =) i feel like i just got caught with my hand in the cookie jar :P

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Wow, thanks for this! I seriously mean it too, truly...this was all at once helpful, insightful, and not at all a basically ridiculously over-said meme after almost 12 years. I bet you have some great and fresh insights on pvp on pvp servers, lfr, and the cash shop as well. Once again, thank you so very much for this.

When the mage is AFK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    Seriously, how?

This is basically how shadow feels vs every spec in the game. Ret is great 1v1, but can't beat a few classes. You said yourself you are all for counters. In 1v1 it just happens to be hardcounters.