Quote Originally Posted by hjdgjsghj View Post
    They aint thats the thing they could be making bank with very little risk

but you would think if they did it then blizz HQ would sink into hades
    They've done that before, with China. They even explained why they don't just outsource their servers: they don't like risking other people failing to achieve the standards they have set for their service, because that kind of stuff affects Blizzard's image and credibility, not the third-party who messed things up. So even if they were up for it, before you can set up your own World of Warcraft server, you'd have to conform to their standards. Full uptime, as few bugs as possible, integration with Battle.net (that would be tricky), a proper full-time GM staff, all that stuff. None of the private server crews got that yet.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Sure, because it's got high engagement (it's a controversial subject that people are passionate about one way or another), not necessarily because it's got support. This thread is certainly far above the average for MMO-Champion, but there is no overarching theme to it. There's no overwhelming support for one idea or the other. It's a big thread, but it's not an useful thread for the folks who would be making the decisions regarding Legacy realms. It brings them nothing they don't already know, particularly since there are already people at Blizzard who want those servers and very likely have developed a lot of the same arguments we see here themselves.
    The no flying thread is also a controversial subject yet being several months older it still has less than half the views and posts of this thread. There is an overarching theme - it is in the title.

They've done that before, with China. They even explained why they don't just outsource their servers: they don't like risking other people failing to achieve the standards they have set for their service, because that kind of stuff affects Blizzard's image and credibility, not the third-party who messed things up. So even if they were up for it, before you can set up your own World of Warcraft server, you'd have to conform to their standards. Full uptime, as few bugs as possible, integration with Battle.net (that would be tricky), a proper full-time GM staff, all that stuff. None of the private server crews got that yet.
    A billion dollar company and they cant afford a full time GM?

What does that even mean?

Havent i said that blizz has nothing to lose and that if a bunch of amateurs can run a game for next to nothing and the fact this thread has nearly 2 million hits then there is clearly interest then i get attacked.

DAYYUM i should just stick to a much safer thread like the US election LOL
    Oh do stop trying to play the victim card. It's laughable. If you can't handle debate you shouldn't be on a forum. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What else would you expect to discuss in a thread about Legacy servers? Ironically this thread's contributors are mainly against Legacy.
    I generally avoid your posts because of your uncanny ability to piss me off, but I'd really wish you would stop trying to push this narrative that this thread is fueled by people with a certain pro- or anti- agenda. Ultimately, it's about discussion. It doesn't matter what position the poster in question has if they're attempting to carry on a reasonable exchange of ideas in the meantime. I think that's the fundamental purpose of forums so trying to develop trends where no trends are necessary is extremely detracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    Running vanilla servers would not hurt them one bit.
    Have you any clue how many subscribers they have now? well they used to have 12 million in wotlk.... and until recently we knew wow only had like 5 million... thats not even half as much.
    Even with the legion surge we are probably only at like 8 million at most.
    So using those lost server resources to host a couple vanilla servers (like 1-5) would not be a problem to them... not at all... financially they are already losing money compared to wotlk... or more accurately they are gaining less money from subscriptions than in wotlk.

If they put up vanilla servers... that would be exactly like all the remakes we keep getting in the gaming industry, many people buy them and play them because they are good games... old but good.
    And barely anyone compares those games to their sequels and whines about how big of a waste it was to make a remake when the sequels are better.

Vanilla would be exactly the same... people would play them, if only to experience the true vanilla for the first time ever... or going back to enjoy oldschool.
    Most people here seem to not realize that there are millions of current players who have never played vanilla... those people alone could potentially be interested in trying, not just us who have played and still want to.

And it doesnt matter how much work it would take... its already been proven that even without money there are people who are trying to provide this oldschool game to us.
    Nostalrius worked on the game for like 2 years themselves... and then they launched... and the supported the servers with their own money... no sub-fees and no shops.
    They did a pretty good job on it despite not getting anything in return.

Heck blizzard could hire these guys to do it... it wouldnt hurt their financial state at all.
    As far as we can all see... none of blizzard's current games are getting flopped or see any signs of being discontinued in the near future. That alone shows that blizzard is clearly not in any financial trouble. (and they are hosting blizzcon yearly... that event takes tons of money too and they still do it)
    They took donations to help run the server.

And the cease and desist was sent to the ppl that owned the server because they were making money off it.

Way to twist my argument there. I'm done with you.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Oh do stop trying to play the victim card. It's laughable. If you can't handle debate you shouldn't be on a forum. Period.
    Wut?

Iam still waiting for your argument on why legacy servers shouldn't be a thing? Cause nearly all our conversations have been personal attacks

Wut?

Iam still waiting for your argument on why legacy servers shouldn't be a thing? Cause nearly all our conversations have been personal attacks
    Because at the end of the day the final decision is Blizzards. They will look at every aspect of it from profitability to implementation. If you think they would implement it the same way private servers do for starters you are sadly mistaken. Also again if you cannot handle debate on a forum feel free to leave at any time. Because you seem to think someone disagreeing with you is a "personal attack" and is a very petulant attitude to take in a discussion/debate.

Way to twist my argument there. I'm done with you.
    Twist what?

What is with this conversation that brings out such vitriol its unbelievable i have been in trump threads with less vitriol

His scenario was more about the 3rd party affording it. Not blizzard.

Deleted
    Wut?

Pretty simple. It's not worth Blizzards time and money to set those servers up and maintain them. What's so hard to understand about it?

Posting just to note that this thread has now broken the 2 million views mark.

On behalf of Nostalrius, I would like to thank all the fans for bumping and keeping our Nostalrius petition current.

Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Because at the end of the day the final decision is Blizzards. They will look at every aspect of it from profitability to implementation. If you think they would implement it the same way private servers do for starters you are sadly mistaken. Also again if you cannot handle debate on a forum feel free to leave at any time. Because you seem to think someone disagreeing with you is a "personal attack" and is a very petulant attitude to take in a discussion/debate.
    Why do you care about blizzards profitability?

Unless you are a shareholder then you have completely wasted your time this evening haven't you? I want legacy servers so my posts even though its incredibly unlikely MAY get me what i want but what has your posts achieved?.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Posting just to note that this thread has now broken the 2 million views mark.

On behalf of Nostalrius, I would like to thank all the fans for bumping and keeping our Nostalrius petition current.

The amount of ppl that pay others to pee on them also couldn't fit in the office......so whats the point in that analogy?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you are a shareholder then you have completely wasted your time this evening haven't you? I want legacy servers so my posts even though its incredibly unlikely MAY get me what i want but what has your posts achieved?.
    As a customer you should care because it affects the quality of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    They took donations to help run the server.

And the cease and desist was sent to the ppl that owned the server because they were making money off it.
    Nost's shut down was more a protection of the WoW IP than it was due to concerns over the money they were making from it. In their post-mortem, Nost revealed their server costs were not exceedingly expensive so while they may have taken donations, they likely weren't making a whole lot of money from the project.

Nost played by the Blizzard's rules immediately and shut down after the first C&D. In the process, they essentially allowed themselves to become a martyr for the cause. (At this point, I'm fully certain this was intentional.) Countless other PS have been taken down in the past and countless more remain. Nost was in a unique position that they had garnered quite a bit of popularity due to WoD's extensive content drought, but they could have easily done what most other PS hosts do when they get the C&D and simply relocate their service elsewhere. Why they didn't is ultimately up for debate but I'd wager Blizzard offering to fly them to Cali for the meet and greet likely had a lot to do with their decision to comply as well as their refusal to release Nost's source code.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    The amount of ppl that pay others to pee on them also couldn't fit in the office......so whats the point in that analogy?

- - - Updated - - -

As a customer you should care because it affects the quality of their work.
    Did you play Warlords of Draenor? LOL

Reading is hard..

Last I knew Eleccy wasn't the decision maker for Blizzard, s/he is just saying how it is. If no money is to be made why do it?

Blizzard isn't about charity.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Reading is hard..

Last I knew Eleccy wasn't the decision maker for Blizzard, s/he is just saying how it is. If no money is to be made why do it?

Blizzard isn't about charity.
    I'm not although tbh if a job paid there well I would take it . Any sane company would look at profitability and long term investment into a product/service. Long term profitability for a legacy server would be things like "after 2 years would it still be doing well enough to support financially?" or if we go down the technical road "how much effort will it take to implement this version into out most current version of Battle.Net?".
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-22 at 12:46 PM.

Did you play Warlords of Draenor? LOL
    ive played since the beginning. One rushed expansion where they were attempting to use the Nostalgia of Vanilla and TBC isn't going to make me just walk away when I know there will be something else next.