Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Did she mention anything about there being a replacement for it or is the Switch the replacement?
    the switch is the replacement for both the wiiu and the 3ds.

this is niontendo unifying their developement teams.

instead of developing for two platforms and having them suffer for it they can now develop for one.

imagine if you put all the wiiu games and all the 3ds games on one system.

thats what the switch is.

the switch is probably the first nintendo console in awhile that doesnt actually need 3rd party support.

splatoon, mario kart, mario, pokemon, zelda, fire emblem, all on one system.

i cant even imagine what gen 8 is gonna look like on this thing.

- - - Updated - - -

i could see nintendo releasing a "2ds" esque cheaper version at some point though thats smaller, doesnt have the dock, maybe the controllers are built in/non removable.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If the battery life is 3 hours or less that's a serious issue.
    Not being an apologist, but honestly I'm not surprised.

And anyways, I'm sure Nintendo is going to capitalize and make a battery pack of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Not being an apologist, but honestly I'm not surprised.

And anyways, I'm sure Nintendo is going to capitalize and make a battery pack of some sort.
    has nintendo ever made a battery pack? i know 3rd party accessories definitely will but nintendo usually "improves" things via redesigns not accessories
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsquatch View Post
    To all you tech savvy MMOChamps, if this thing is utilizing an SoC based off of Pascal, what's the absolute best and worst case scenarios for this thing spec wise when docked?
    Assuming 256 CUDA core Pascal clocked at 1500MHz with absolutely no power or thermal constraint. It would be about half of a GTX 950 computationally. CPU is more of an unknown since we don't know what they're using.
    With thermal (no power) constraint I'd assume 1000MHz core clock which is just 1/3rd of a 950's computational power.
    However the biggest issue with both these is that memory bandwidth is extremely low for LPDDR4. If it's anything like Vita's memory configuration or the Parker it'd mean 128bit memory bus is possible clocked at 3200MHz which is 51.2GB/s memory bandwidth, otherwise slice that in half as most SoC memory capabilities are 64bit memory bus. Which is a serious hamper to performance.

Without thermal and power constraint my guesses are 1/2 of Xbone's throughput (ignoring any software complications).
    With thermal constraint 1/3rd of Xbone's.
    With both thermal and power constraint then well, that's probably a coin toss depending on what's going on and how battery conservative they're going to go, but if the 3 hour thing is true, then mobile would probably be 1/3rd to 1/4th of Xbone.

Do note this is 100% speculation with a lot of unknown variables. If X1 and K1 has shown anything, mobile cores do not work the same as desktop cores.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-10-22 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the switch is the replacement for both the wiiu and the 3ds.
    Didn't Nintendo say the opposite? Where are you getting this from

splatoon, mario kart, mario, pokemon, zelda, fire emblem, all on one system.
    Nothing was stopping the Wii U from having all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

except for the fact that they were on the 3ds.

nintendo can say whatever they want doesnt make it true.

Why would they make another mobile console when they JUST made one with the switch? Seems obvious that they are expecting it to be both. That's the whole thing. The point is so they develop games for both at the same time.

I'm more worried about the price point. How cheap could this thing be? It's going to be tiny and it is going to have to be powerful, which means dollars.

It's a great idea IMO, I always lamented not being able to play console games, but as always, the launch games will dictate the success.

except for the fact that they were on the 3ds.
    Only because the 3DS was selling better. Otherwise, both the Gamecube and the Wii had a Fire Emblem game each. Same for Pokemon. For some reason, they just didn't give the Wii U anything aside that Rumble Smash game.

nintendo can say whatever they want doesnt make it true.
    Well, when they're the ones making the console...yes, it does make it true. More true than someone on the forum saying the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Why would they make another mobile console when they JUST made one with the switch? Seems obvious that they are expecting it to be both. That's the whole thing. The point is so they develop games for both at the same time.

I'm more worried about the price point. How cheap could this thing be? It's going to be tiny and it is going to have to be powerful, which means dollars.

It's a great idea IMO, I always lamented not being able to play console games, but as always, the launch games will dictate the success.
    Why drop the 3DS when it's been their saving grace since the Wii U launched? The Switch could easily flop too, and it's hardly suitable for portability (3 hour lifespan is not very portable).

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    If it's a 3 hour life span then there is no point to this system.
    Think my n3ds typically only lasts for around 5 hours I wanna say? And obviously doesn't play anything remotely as fancy as this thing is supposedly going to be able to play.

There's outlets at the airport if ever you're in that situation, there'll be car chargers, there'll probably be those battery packs people all bought for their phones for pokemon go.

Don't really see how a 3 hour lifespan makes the thing pointless, pretty sure I chewed threw batteries much faster than that way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Why would anyone stop developing for 3DS at this point - which is not only cheaper, but also has a much larger Hardware base?
    If this thing turns out anything like its being advertised and actually manages to have the major nintendo titles on it I don't really see why they would bother to continue to make games on inferior systems. If this thing is anywhere close to as good as advertised thus far it completely defeats the purpose of having a 3ds or a wiiu.

I'll be interested to see how it goes, but the dream would be that all the major 3ds titles get a serious engine boost by moving to this thing. Would love to actually be able to play MH with decent graphics.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Only because the 3DS was selling better..
    you guys are missing the damn point.

take all the ds games and the wii games put them on one system

take all the gamecube games and gba games put them on one system.

that is the point. im not saying there couldnt have been a pokeman on the wiiu, im saying all the games will be on one.

you guys are missing the damn point.

take all the ds games and the wii games put them on one system
    The Wii U was working towards this in the DS regards.

take all the gamecube games and gba games put them on one system.
    GBA adapter for the gamecube says hi.

that is the point. im not saying there couldnt have been a pokeman on the wiiu, im saying all the games will be on one.
    And that has nothing to do with whether there's one system or two, it has to do with Nintendo failing to support a console properly. The Wii U only failed on this because it was failing itself. Otherwise, each console has pretty much had its own title for each of Nintendo's IPs.

so lets look at what launch window games have been confirmed for nx

mario kart 9 or 8 remaster with new dlc
    splatwoon or splatoon remaster with new dlc
    skyrim
    breath of the wild
    mario switch
    some nba game
    dragon quest
    just dance
    next 3d sonic game
    oceanhorn 1 and 2

also ports that emily rogers said nintendo was working on

mario maker
    smash 4 remaster with new dlc or smash 5

possible games

pikmin 4
    retros new game

- - - Updated - - -

also here is a size comparison

- - - Updated - - -

also this says theres going to be a pokemon out for it within the first year.

if gamefreak goes back to yearly releases we could easily see either gen 8, sun and moon ports/3rd game or gen 4 remakes on the switch next year

http://cartridgegames.net/index.php/...es-for-year-1/

so lets look at what launch window games have been confirmed for nx

mario kart 9 or 8 remaster with new dlc
    splatwoon or splatoon remaster with new dlc
    skyrim
    breath of the wild
    mario switch
    some nba game
    dragon quest
    just dance
    next 3d sonic game
    oceanhorn 1 and 2

also ports that emily rogers said nintendo was working on

mario maker
    smash 4 remaster with new dlc or smash 5

possible games

pikmin 4
    retros new game
    Skyrim was not confirmed yet confusingly enough. They said it was just to show off, not that it's confirmed yet.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain.../#609374df6ea0

Skyrim was not confirmed yet confusingly enough. They said it was just to show off, not that it's confirmed yet.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain.../#609374df6ea0
    they showed it in the video, someone was playing it. its confirmed.

I'm sorry, but you seem to have difficulty with accepting that these are the people MAKING the device, MAKING the game, and they're saying that it's not confirmed.

That trumps what you have to say about it. Until the day they say "Yes, it is coming", it is not confirmed.

I'm sorry, but you seem to have difficulty with accepting that these are the people MAKING the device, MAKING the game, and they're saying that it's not confirmed.

That trumps what you have to say about it. Until the day they say "Yes, it is coming", it is not confirmed.
    the chinese leak of sun and moon was "unconfirmed" and yet there the final evolutions are, in the game.

you're being purposefully obtuse.

everyone knows damn well some form of skyrim is coming otherwise it wouldnt have been in the damn video

the chinese leak of sun and moon was "unconfirmed" and yet there the final evolutions are, in the game.

everyone knows damn well some form of skyrim is coming otherwise it wouldnt have been in the damn video
    Unconfirmed as in Nintendo didn't comment on it.

This is the company coming out and saying "yeah, it's not confirmed yet". I mean, flying combat and the dance theater is on the Wrath of the Lich King box, yet where is it now?

They can pull out at any time if they wanted. There is no "being obtuse", it's just stating the facts.

It´s not confirmed. Apparently they only had Skyrim to show off this specific part of the potential.

How about that time you swore by your leakers that the dock provided extra horse power for the system?

At some point, you would think you would learn people throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks are not actual leakers. The only "leak" that was credible in regards to the NX/Switch was Eurogamer and amazing how all these people you try to quote didn't think up the detachable controllers before a reliable outlet like Eurogamer got on it.

Nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed, period. The only actual confirmed game in the Switch video was Breath of the Wild. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account

They have said the switch isn't replacing the 3ds, but they also said the same thing about the gameboy and the DS over a decade ago, and look where that ended up.

I wouldn't take Nintendo's word for it before they show an actual replacement if the switch isn't its successor.