Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Would you be OK with a "Not Saving the World" expansion?

Imagine an expansion where (just as a random example) the goal is to go out and defeat a bad guy simply because they are a bad guy. Not because they have the ability to consume the entire planet of Azeroth. Not because they want to rule the universe.

My only complaint about Legion so far is, "So, this again eh?"

I still pine for the day we get an expansion where the fight is Alliance vs. Horde, but not PvP based.

Hell, a human invading army would be unique at this point sadly.

I mean after we save the universe (again) in this expansion, I mean how long can they keep doing this without getting into space Jedi territory (which they have done to an extent). The legion space ships in this expansion are just lol wat
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-10-22 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    You mean MoP?
    Sure, just minus the Asian theme. I would actually be totally stoked about that.

Edit; I guess I need to put a clarification point on this. I liked MOP, I would like another expansion just like it, but with a new theme.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-10-24 at 12:03 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    so in other words just mists?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Sure, just minus the Asian theme. I would actually be totally stoked about that.
    What do you have against the Asian theme?

Because from what you wrote, MoP is basically everything you wanted. It's Horde vs. Alliance and it's about stopping bad guys for the sake of them being bad guys

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem is who do we fight? Who is left to fight other then the legion or the void lords?
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2016-10-22 at 09:16 PM.

100% yes. It would make so much more sense to continue the story based on a defeat from a past expansion instead of "Oh perfect... now THIS big bad guy woke up and is causing a ruckus. Better go stop them..." Looking at you Deathwing...

I still want a 'return to Northrend' expansion. Blizzard already has all the foundation for it and the main players are in active in Legion.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Sp. basically what we have experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    The only problem is who do we fight? Who is left to fight other then the legion or the void lords?
    The old gods and Azshara too, as well as I bet many others over time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Eh, MoP was just the same old in the end, though. Old god/Sha corruption that was gonna infest and take over the world or something or yadda. And Garrosh just turning totally batshit at some point AND basically throwing his hat into the OG/Sha corner.

It actually likely would have been better in the end without that stuff.
    Except much of MoP (like WoD) was about us trying to fix our mistake. We released the sha on Pandaria. We for all intents and purposes ruined the lives of these Pandaren. The sha never showed that they were going to leave the continent (I don't think they could). The story then progressed to Garrosh looking for a way to get more power to defeat the alliance.
    Atrael@Turalyon Formerly- Pride/Elv@Azuremyst, Ysera, and Turalyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    What do you have against the Asian theme?

Because from what you wrote, MoP is basically everything you wanted. It's Horde vs. Alliance and it's about stopping bad guys for the sake of them being bad guys
    Nothing. I was just saying that "Yes, an expansion like that, but not Asian themed would be nice."

How many big bad guys are there that can blow up the world at this point.

I swear to god we're going to end up empowered by elune to the level fo the titan pantheon to take down sargeras and then what...we go to the void and kill the void lords ?

This 1 upsmanship is getting ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Nothing. I was just saying that "Yes, an expansion like that, but not Asian themed would be nice."
    I'd like it if it was actually asian themed not just stereotypically asian.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Yeah, I enjoyed MoP. I was a little disappointed they ended the Horde-Alliance war. I would like to see it start again, except this time it would be all across Azeroth. With scaling technology, the whole world could now be used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercos View Post
    Yeah, I enjoyed MoP. I was a little disappointed they ended the Horde-Alliance war. I would like to see it start again, except this time it would be all across Azeroth. With scaling technology, the whole world could now be used.
    They had to, one side would be upset no matter what. Course that happened regardless but it's still something to note.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sp. basically what we have experienced?

The old gods and Azshara too, as well as I bet many others over time.
    The old gods were sent by the void lords so they are nothing but tools of the void lords.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They had to, one side would be upset no matter what. Course that happened regardless but it's still something to note.
    Yeah, I'm not into the Horde vs. Alliance thing. Blizzard clearly can't balance the two and I say that as someone who plays both factions fairly equally. Plus, the conflict is so petty. I suppose once we're out of 'big bads' to fight we could resume fighting each other, but it'd feel shallow, pointless, and like there'd been no progress over the past decade+.
    Last edited by Lane; 2016-10-22 at 09:52 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

While trying to answer OP's question, the thought that keeps coming back to me is that Cataclysm and Mop could have been such expansions.

In Cata, instead of the Twilight's Cult and the end of days we could have focused on rebuilding the old world and managing x-faction regional politics. Instead of Horde vs. Alliance open warfare every-fucking-where we could have had smaller conflicts between various races (think WSG, Silverpine etc.) while all try to reconnect to the old world after two war campaigns (Outland and Northrend). The two continents would have also offered plenty of opportunities for non-globalized raids (as in, raids that involve regional powers and don't concern the fate of the entire world, such as the STV trolls or the Feralas night elves etc.).

In MoP, we could have not focused on the Sha and the Orc totalitarian experiment and instead on some kind of once in a longtime martial art tournament. It could have been organized by the Celestials for whatever non-apocalyptic purpose (e.g. fun?) and the two factions would consider it a matter of pride to get involved in all the trials. The Isle of Thunder stuff could have remained to keep Pandaria interesting (besides, it's not big enough to be considered as "world saving" anyway).

So many opportunities were lost with those two expansions - Cata had the old world revamp (wasted), while MoP had a new continent but without an initial major threat drawing us there. And since we can't have a 2nd revamp of Kalimdor and the EK, we would need some kind of new Pandaria-like continent without the Sha and Garrosh. The problem is that we're starting to run out of IRL major cultures to draw inspiration from.

I'd actually like to see an expansion where the Alliance and Horde try to find a different planet to conquer, in case that Azeroth falls to the Legion or Old God's. So it would basically be we that conquer another world from whole new species, who'll turn out to be a whole different kind of threat. Maybe not the best concept for an expansion, but its atleast a break from this endless ''new big bad guy'' cycle we are still in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    The old gods were sent by the void lords so they are nothing but tools of the void lords.
    Doesn't really matter, we have had many expansions just about the old gods, and there's to my count, at least one more out there. Else you would've counted off many more things from the past. Doesn't matter who the head boss is, if the goon is just as much a danger.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'd actually like to see an expansion where the Alliance and Horde try to find a different planet to conquer, in case that Azeroth falls to the Legion or Old God's. So it would basically be we that conquer another world from whole new species, who'll turn out to be a whole different kind of threat. Maybe not the best concept for an expansion, but its atleast a break from this endless ''new big bad guy'' cycle we are still in.
    One problem if Azeroth fall to either the legion or old gods we still die no matter where we run to....If the legion wins Sargeras will continue his warpath through the cosmos and will eventually destroy whatever planet we land on because his plan is for "no life to exist" and if the old gods corrupt the titan Azeroth the Void lords will be able to manifest in our universe and will kill everything in it.