Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    They have said the switch isn't replacing the 3ds, but they also said the same thing about the gameboy and the DS over a decade ago, and look where that ended up.

I wouldn't take Nintendo's word for it before they show an actual replacement if the switch isn't its successor.
    Nintendo is just covering their bases just in case the Switch does end up flailing.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    They have said the switch isn't replacing the 3ds, but they also said the same thing about the gameboy and the DS over a decade ago, and look where that ended up.

I wouldn't take Nintendo's word for it before they show an actual replacement if the switch isn't its successor.
    The GBA was only 3 years old with a massive install base and the DS was a new, wild experimental idea. It's not rocket science that they weren't going to commit to it as a replacement right off the bat, and the GBA did end up having a nice life even after the DS came out.

Same deal here, if the switch flounders Nintendo still has 60 million 3DS out there to make money off of. Obviously if the Switch takes off the 3DS will be phased out, and if the switch doesn't expect a new entry in the DS line.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the hell do you have a developer say Skyrim is not confirmed but then say it's confirmed, the logic is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    How about that time you swore by your leakers that the dock provided extra horsepower
    Never said that. That was just what I personally believed.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Never said that. That was just what I personally believed.
    Then your personal beliefs have something in common with your leakers. They know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the chinese leak of sun and moon was "unconfirmed" and yet there the final evolutions are, in the game.

you're being purposefully obtuse.

everyone knows damn well some form of skyrim is coming otherwise it wouldnt have been in the damn video
    then be mad when it doesnt make it and shit talk them like i can see people doing despite them never saying its there.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Think my n3ds typically only lasts for around 5 hours I wanna say? And obviously doesn't play anything remotely as fancy as this thing is supposedly going to be able to play.

There's outlets at the airport if ever you're in that situation, there'll be car chargers, there'll probably be those battery packs people all bought for their phones for pokemon go.

Don't really see how a 3 hour lifespan makes the thing pointless, pretty sure I chewed threw batteries much faster than that way back when.

If this thing turns out anything like its being advertised and actually manages to have the major nintendo titles on it I don't really see why they would bother to continue to make games on inferior systems. If this thing is anywhere close to as good as advertised thus far it completely defeats the purpose of having a 3ds or a wiiu.

I'll be interested to see how it goes, but the dream would be that all the major 3ds titles get a serious engine boost by moving to this thing. Would love to actually be able to play MH with decent graphics.
    New 3DS battery life is over 7 hours with the settings on minimum brightness, wireless turned off and power saving enabled, original system had at most 5 hours of battery life.

Granted, it's a system powering two screens and had a bunch of other stuff jammed into it like the gyroscopic sensors, the 3D display as well as dual cameras for the AR. Most of those features will be gone.

As long as this thing has strong battery life, I am 100% ok with this. Playing a main pokemon title on the big screen would be really cool. If only since it would be the first time that that would be possible legitimately. I do worry about carrying it around though. As far as I can tell, there isn't much there to protect its LED screen from getting scratched or damaged while its stored away to be carried. It also doesn't look all that durable.

It really doesn't Look all that sturdy.

I also hope its not too expensive. I mean, I love my 3ds, but so does my gf. Having to buy two consoles at a high price tag is going to be a Huge hindrance on this console. Especially in families with multiple kids who previously could each have their own hand held, but now may not be able to due to the cost. However, something tells me they have abandoned the way of a home console And a portable console.

I just wish it was backwards compatible for at least 3ds games. Especially with sun and moon coming out in November, its pretty much assured that we wont be getting any new pokemon games for the switch soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    New 3DS battery life is over 7 hours with the settings on minimum brightness, wireless turned off and power saving enabled, original system had at most 5 hours of battery life.

Granted, it's a system powering two screens and had a bunch of other stuff jammed into it like the gyroscopic sensors, the 3D display as well as dual cameras for the AR. Most of those features will be gone.
    With just default settings and turning the wifi off I again typically get around 5ish hours. I imagine that's similar to the vast majority of users.

Think removing some of the fluff will be good, the 3d part of the 3ds seems like a complete waste for instance. Either way, were you trying to make a point?
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I usually got 5-6 hours on 3DS and 6-7 hours or something on Vita (PCH-2000, think PCH-1000 model had lower battery life by about an hour).

I hope they don't cut corners with this device. The idea is amazing, a console with portable potential. Switching from playing on the big screen to playing on the bed or on the go is a practical innovation idea I can get behind (motion games and 3D just didn't sit with me).

I'm already concerned, the trailer clip showing Zelda BoW game looked really choppy as if it struggled with FPS.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I wouldn't mind one,. but nintendo has been running after the facts the last few years - this thing isn't much different.

The silly leg at the back isn't very good support.
    The two side controllers should fit into each other, not into a third "middle" device - unless optional.

The screen + loose controllers is a nice idea,. but power and battery wise i'm very worried.
    Wireless is NOT great for gaming, and their last gen controllers have had serious issues with needing batteries - I HATE BATTERIES,. If i want to game, plug in a wire and let me play,. without having to worry whether i charged anything recently.

Everyone is slowly focusing on VR - what nintendo needed to do was, to suddenly release a SUPER amazing VR compatible machine,. but alas,. just a handheld.
    I mean - I got an iPad,. other people have an android tablet,. and those can already play games - though the contoller part is generally lacking on those.

This "Switch" needs to have some serious processor power to really stand out from playstation / xbox,. but also from the latest generation ipad/android - it's like they're trying to compete with 4 different high end markets "at the same time",. while completely ignoring the VR stuff that's currently going on.

Not their best move.

And those contollers don't exacly look comfortable either,.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I wouldn't mind one,. but nintendo has been running after the facts the last few years - this thing isn't much different.

The silly leg at the back isn't very good support.
    The two side controllers should fit into each other, not into a third "middle" device - unless optional.
    I can't really comment on the leg, but I don't see much of a problem with the "middle" section for the controllers. It simplifies things by letting them copy the design on the side of the console (rather than setting the controller edges to connect properly to eachother AND the main device) and it adds a bit of much-needed width. They also showed that the two bits could be used wirelessly & independently, which means it shouldn't be too much of an issue to lug around - you could just leave it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Everyone is slowly focusing on VR - what nintendo needed to do was, to suddenly release a SUPER amazing VR compatible machine,. but alas,. just a handheld.
    I mean - I got an iPad,. other people have an android tablet,. and those can already play games - though the contoller part is generally lacking on those.

This "Switch" needs to have some serious processor power to really stand out from playstation / xbox,. but also from the latest generation ipad/android - it's like they're trying to compete with 4 different high end markets "at the same time",. while completely ignoring the VR stuff that's currently going on.
    Eh, I don't really feel like Nintendo really needs to think much about VR. Most of their options for putting out a good VR product aren't realistic, and they'd be competing against Sony's strong entry.

As for competing with Xbone/PS4 and tablets, I think they stand to gain more from competing with tablets. The reason for that is that it's way easier to highlight software library differences when competing with tablets, for the same reason that someone might already play a 3DS rather than a radically more powerful phone or tablet. Unless they went for a very straightforward, traditional "this is a relatively powerful box that plays video games" approach again - which this is very clearly not - I don't see them trying to beat Sony/MS at their own game. Not necessarily because they couldn't give it a good shot, but more because it just doesn't seem like what they want to do based on what they've been doing since 2006.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2016-10-23 at 12:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Wow, if this thing is aiming to unify everything then I am glad I did not buy that hella expansive 3DS Streaming kit for like 500 bucks.
    Question is, will we be able to play 3ds games on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Wow, if this thing is aiming to unify everything then I am glad I did not buy that hella expansive 3DS Streaming kit for like 500 bucks.
    Already officially confirmed that no it will not play 3DS (or WiiU) games on it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

They've already said that this isn't going to be a successor to the 3DS, and that the 3DS is getting its own successor down the track. So there's that.

I personally think that's a very weird direction for them to go in, but there you go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Already officially confirmed that no it will not play 3DS (or WiiU) games on it.
    Darn it!
    Will it at least be free of that old and outdated Region-lock bullshit?

Darn it!
    Will it at least be free of that old and outdated Region-lock bullshit?
    No word about Region lock yes. So its best to assume it has it and hope it doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    They've already said that this isn't going to be a successor to the 3DS, and that the 3DS is getting its own successor down the track. So there's that.

I personally think that's a very weird direction for them to go in, but there you go.
    Many company's say many things. If this thing sells well enough it will be the successor of the Wii-U and 3DS. If it sells like junk then Nintendo can go back to the drawing board.

They said the samething about the Gameboy Color to the Gameboy and the Advance to the Color and DS to the Advance.

Best to just wait and see what happens.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No word about Region lock yes. So its best to assume it has it and hope it doesn't.
    It better not have it, I cannot for the love of god not understand why things launch with a region lock these days.

It better not have it, I cannot for the love of god not understand why things launch with a region lock these days.
    Nintendo wants to control there little bubble, while I can understand that it is shitty.