10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    They say the donations had a monthly limit. They were only to pay the servers.
    And we should believe people who have zero respect for others' propriety just for their words?

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    And we should believe people who have zero respect for others' propriety just for their words?
    Over people who have no proof and who's only goal is to talk down something they have no interest in? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Over people who have no proof and who's only goal is to talk down something they have no interest in? Yes.
    Well then here's Blizzard response for you: "Stop trying to steal our old product and just play the current one or leave."

That's as good as you'll get from them.

Well then here's Blizzard response for you: "Stop trying to steal our old product and just play the current one or leave."

Not what they said and not what they want. Nice try.

Deleted
    It's a fact, the people in the video were not affiliated to the Nost team, they were just some random youtubers talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Profit is only relevant if Blizzard sued for unjust enrichment, like they did with Scapegaming - you can still be found guilty of copyright infringements and DMCA violations with no profit. A lot of the more ignorant people in here think the lack of profit is some kind of immunity from lawsuit, which is laughable at best.
    We all know profit is irrelevant to the copyright infraction.
    But the fact that they were not having a profit of any kind, in fact they started by paying with their own pockets, says a lot about the Nost team.
    They were just some guys (30 people) trying to relive the past. They were just trying to play Vanilla for the love of it. Not for profit.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-22 at 09:58 PM.

Deleted
    Just listened to Nixxioms Video about the return of Nos - are they really willing to backstab Blizzard after they got together? I mean everyone knew it was not about months but years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Just listened to Nixxioms Video about the return of Nos - are they really willing to backstab Blizzard after they got together? I mean everyone knew it was not about months but years.
    Nost is not coming back, no company of Blizzard's size and stature will have ceased legal action without requiring the Nost team to sign contracts detailing what they can and cannot do with regard to Nost's code, relaunching it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    It's a fact, the people in the video were not affiliated to the Nost team, they were just some random youtubers talking about it.

We all know profit is irrelevant to the copyright infraction.
    But the fact that they were not having a profit of any kind, in fact they started by paying with their own pockets, says a lot about the Nost team.
    They were just some guys (30 people) trying to relive the past. They were just trying to play Vanilla for the love of it. Not for profit.
    And they knew it was risky and illegal, and admitted that when they shut down. All of this back and forth about profit and intent and all of that is irrelevant and meaningless in this context, I don't know why you'd even bring it up, unless you're trying to claim there's some magical legal defense that overrides established copyright laws. "I love the game" is not a legal defense when they have no rights to use the IP, as claimed by Blizzard - and even the Nost team agrees with that, but her you are claiming the opposite. Courts don't care about things like that, in these kinds of cases. They simply don't. A judge can't tell Blizzard "Look, he loves the game, I'm going to allow him to violate your rights".

Blizzard owns the game. Fact.

Blizzard, by law, can tell anyone they can or cannot use the game. Fact.

Blizzard can tell someone/anyone they can't use the game, wether they make a million dollars, or they give it away and it costs them money. Fact.

Anything else is irrelevant in the context of Blizzard suing them. Except, of course, in this thread, where the ignorant and naive think there are mythical and magical ways around laws, and that "I want!" overrides copyright holder's rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Nost is not coming back, no company of Blizzard's size and stature will have ceased legal action without requiring the Nost team to sign contracts detailing what they can and cannot do with regard to Nost's code, relaunching it, etc.

Especially considering they know who they are now, and where to find them. It would take all of a day at most to serve them again, with the exact same results as last time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Not what they said and not what they want. Nice try.

Do you have proof that Blizzard's intentions were different? C'mon, big boy, you like throwing the word around, now it's your turn. Let's see your proof.

I think the meeting was nothing but a charade that Blizzard set up to show that they cared but their intent was to do nothing and hope everything will be swept under the rug. My guess that there won't be any official legacy servers and these people will set up the server again in Russia, Blizzard will look the other way to avoid heat (like they should have done the first place if they knew Nostalrius' financial troubles), and the server will keep going until it runs out of funding again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Just listened to Nixxioms Video about the return of Nos - are they really willing to backstab Blizzard after they got together?
    See? The reason why Blizzard invited them to Blizz HQ is purely for propaganda. They wanted that exact reaction you just had.
    They met with them only to save face and say they are the bigger person when in fact they just wanted to give them the finger personally.

And they knew it was risky and illegal, and admitted that when they shut down. All of this back and forth about profit and intent and all of that is irrelevant and meaningless in this context, I don't know why you'd even bring it up, unless you're trying to claim there's some magical legal defense that overrides established copyright laws. "I love the game" is not a legal defense when they have no rights to use the IP, as claimed by Blizzard - and even the Nost team agrees with that, but her you are claiming the opposite. Courts don't care about things like that, in these kinds of cases. They simply don't. A judge can't tell Blizzard "Look, he loves the game, I'm going to allow him to violate your rights".

Blizzard owns the game. Fact.

Blizzard, by law, can tell anyone they can or cannot use the game. Fact.

Blizzard can tell someone/anyone they can't use the game, wether they make a million dollars, or they give it away and it costs them money. Fact.

Anything else is irrelevant in the context of Blizzard suing them. Except, of course, in this thread, where the ignorant and naive think there are mythical and magical ways around laws, and that "I want!" overrides copyright holder's rights.
    Ofcourse if you bring up copyright infraction debate you are always going to be right
    But try to understand the cultural point of view. To maintain a part of videogame history. To preserve the past, a part of history.

Just try to understand the point of view of someone who purely just wanted to relive Vanilla WoW

"Private servers" are the only way to do it. It's illegal, we all know that but from the cultural point of view is not criminal at all.
    It had a righteous purpose. They are not evil. They had no profits at all on the contrary they lost money and time.

Its just like Robin Hood stealing to give to the poor.
    Was he a criminal? Yes. But....not really at the same time.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-22 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Nost is not going to re-launch the servers, nor are they gonna release the code even if Blizz says no.
    At this point I am just excited for a final answer tbh just to let this case rest once and for all

Old relevant products usually get liquidated for dirt cheap to 3rd party vendors, who then make whatever they can make.

Expired old products are thrown away, with no buyers (maybe given to 3rd world countries but thats another topic).

Yet with Blizzard, they (apparently) wish to maintain control of outdated software. I imagine they want to do something with it. They aren't very forward with their plans though. I think they "should" do something with it, because what they own isn't just an expired can of yellow corn.

Even expired cans of yellow corn becomes inedible after a while. Blizzard must do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    Nost is not going to re-launch the servers, nor are they gonna release the code even if Blizz says no.
    At this point I am just excited for a final answer tbh just to let this case rest once and for all
    I strongly disagree. I think Nostalrius is in fact planning a relaunch of Blizz doesn't announce legacy realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Old relevant products usually get liquidated for dirt cheap to 3rd party vendors, who then make whatever they can make.

Expired old products are thrown away, with no buyers (maybe given to 3rd world countries but thats another topic).

Yet with Blizzard, they (apparently) wish to maintain control of outdated software. I imagine they want to do something with it. They aren't very forward with their plans though. I think they "should" do something with it, because what they own isn't just an expired can of yellow corn.

Even expired cans of yellow corn becomes inedible after a while. Blizzard must do something.
    Thankfully, your childish "Use it or lose it" isn't a valid legal challenge or the basis of any copyright laws.

Anything else is irrelevant in the context of Blizzard suing them.
    I must have missed the lawsuit post. Please link it.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    I think the meeting was nothing but a charade that Blizzard set up to show that they cared but their intent was to do nothing and hope everything will be swept under the rug. My guess that there won't be any official legacy servers and these people will set up the server again in Russia, Blizzard will look the other way to avoid heat (like they should have done the first place if they knew Nostalrius' financial troubles), and the server will keep going until it runs out of funding again.

Russia is not a mythical copyright free haven where Blizzard can't reach them.

Blizzard has no reason to "look the other way" when someone is stealing from them.

The Nost team's financial problems are their own problem, nobody else's, and has absolutely no bearing in the real world.

I guess daydreams and fantasies are fun, but not when you apply them to real world issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    I must have missed the lawsuit post. Please link it.
    As if I was speaking to you.

Russia is not a mythical copyright free haven where Blizzard can't reach them.

Blizzard has no reason to "look the other way" when someone is stealing from them.

The Nost team's financial problems are their own problem, nobody else's, and has absolutely no bearing in the real world.

I guess daydreams and fantasies are fun, but not when you apply them to real world issues.

- - - Updated - - -

As if I was speaking to you.
    Ah yes, places Blizzard cannot reach them. Please mention some servers or locations shut down by Blizzard. Thanks!

Nostalrius was voluntary, BTW.

Deleted
    I find this video hilarious
    Note that i find Legion to be the best expansion since WotlK and i have nothing against it.
    This was just a comparison of Nost to WoD.
    So funny ^_^

Chance Morris is the man! May he be well wherever he is.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.