Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I have some solutions not all the answers. Nobody here has all the answers.
    Perhaps you should actually be fully versed in the situation before you offer 'solutions'. Or maybe, you should test those solutions in Canada before you demand they be implemented elsewhere... I suggest you relax your immigration standards and fully open your borders. That way you can have more people and be able to be better informed about how other countries are feeling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taustins View Post
    Then maybe you should shut the fuck up.

Apparently someone with a slogan like ''Make Spain Great Again'' should come to power and build A Wall (TM) to keep the young in while EU keeps on serving the German economy exclusively... or import the entirety of Africa so that they can travel to Germany either way.
    I'm actually suggesting they all be sent to Canada... with a 3.7 person/sqkm ratio its definitely one of the least populated countries on the planet, and by the admission of some, its the best country ever.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Wait, you say you haven't' studied them much, but you seem to have all the answers? So is this an admission that you are talking out of your ass again?
    I mean. That's some general advice. If you reduce the costs of labor, companies wouldn't hesitate as much to hire. IDK if this is the case in Spain, but in countries like Germany and France excessive regulation limits job creation.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I mean. That's some general advice. If you reduce the costs of labor, companies wouldn't hesitate as much to hire. IDK if this is the case in Spain, but in countries like Germany and France excessive regulation limits job creation.
    Spain has already reformed its labor market in 2012. It was an extremely extremely unpopular reform, especially as it was paired with a wave of spending cuts. Spain was essentially commended by both markets, companies and international financial organizations for the extent and comprehensive nature of the labor reform. Yet...it had very limited impact on hiring. What Spain required for a recovery was an upswing in demand for goods and services, which came in the last 2 years or so, and had nothing to do with the labor reform itself.

Hiring is driven by spending, investment and consumption, and very little by its actual cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Spain has already reformed its labor market in 2012. It was an extremely extremely unpopular reform, especially as it was paired with a wave of spending cuts. Spain was essentially commended by both markets, companies and international financial organizations for the extent and comprehensive nature of the labor reform. Yet...it had very limited impact on hiring. What Spain required for a recovery was an upswing in demand for goods and services, which came in the last 2 years or so, and had nothing to do with the labor reform itself.

Hiring is driven by spending, investment and consumption, and very little by its actual cost.
    Here is a good paper that explores the theme. It's very good
    http://www.nber.org/papers/w22603

iii) negative and significant effects for R&D capital intensity and the share of low-skilled employment. These results suggest that firms consider that the strengthening of Employment Protection Legislation is equivalent to a rise in the cost of labor, resulting in capital-to-labor substitution in favor of non-ICT capital and working at the disadvantage of low-skill relatively to high-skill workers. They indicate to the contrary that structural reforms for more labor flexibility weakening this legislation could have a favorable impact on firms’ R&D investment and their hiring of low-skill workers
    Last edited by NED funded; 2016-10-22 at 07:41 PM.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22603

iii) negative and significant effects for R&D capital intensity and the share of low-skilled employment. These results suggest that firms consider that the strengthening of Employment Protection Legislation is equivalent to a rise in the cost of labor, resulting in capital-to-labor substitution in favor of non-ICT capital and working at the disadvantage of low-skill relatively to high-skill workers. They indicate to the contrary that structural reforms for more labor flexibility weakening this legislation could have a favorable impact on firms’ R&D investment and their hiring of low-skill workers
    I can confidently tell you that in this specific case labor cost and regulation related to hiring (in the private market) is not the issue at hand. Over regulation (tied to protectionism), ease of doing business and bureaucracy are altogether different issues that are much more relevant in the Spanish context. But further efforts to cut the cost of hiring wouldn't do much good, actually it could be damaging in certain areas.

And I'm saying this as a medium sized business owner. The past 2 years I haven't heard any serious complaints on the cost of hiring, nor was it ever a concern for me. I'm much more frustrated by the extremely slow and disorganized public administration, and by the unreliable application and enforcement of regulatory changes, which wouldn't typically be burdensome, if the government would do its fucking job.

There are a number of regulatory issues (very necessary ones) where we are waiting on the relevant legislative changes and application, but all of that has been on hold for over a year now, due to the fact that Spain has had a caretaker government the past year.

A cod example is the state department responsible for the energy infrastructure. Its head died 8 months ago, and its vice director retired 2 months later. The department is currently headed by some mid level paperpusher in a caretaker position. We have been trying for months to get a clarification on the technological equivalency rules and patent rules regarding certain system we intend to import from the US for a major project. It's becoming impossible to do consultations and to schedule meetings and inspections etc. It's always been slow and ponderous, but now it's just ridiculous.

firms consider that[...]
    I'm not, at all, surprised that firms would consider that.
    The contentious question remains how well, or bad, that consideration aligns with reality.
    Whatever the case may be, Spain embraced that paradigm, and favored companies, a few years ago. We'll see how that pans out: so far, it's shown signs of economic recuperation, at the cost of massive social unrest and political upheaval (including the rise of populism, as well as having no goverment since past December).

I'm currently self-employed with no employees under my watch. But I rarely hear my colleges complaining about the cost of hiring: they'd love to hire people, they just have very little to produce, and sell.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-22 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    So then Spain should adjust its policies so it becomes a more desirable country. You don't want to lose young, talented immigrants to Germany and Sweden.
    They are neither as young as they say they are and they are typically the clear opposite of 'talented'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I'm currently self-employed with no employees under my watch. But I rarely hear my colleges complaining about the cost of hiring: they'd love to hire people, they just have very little to produce, and sell.
    The problem with Spain is that they are in a ditch - And all the proposed solutions are just good at keeping people out of ditches.
    because, while it stretches the metaphor, we don't really know how to get out of ditches.
    Lower interest rates doesn't help (it helps again, in staying out).
    Ease of employment, well once again, helps in staying out of the ditch mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    all the proposed solutions are just good at keeping people out of ditches.
    because, while it stretches the metaphor, we don't really know how to get out of ditches.
    That's quite the depressing prospect, given we never got around to having a culture of fiscal responsibility. Nor do I think we'll cultivate it any time soon.
    This is not a country defined by long-term policies, or long streaks of stability. Heck, our democracy is only some 40 years old, and we've gone through massive changes ever since. Trying to stay out of trouble was a bit of a thing during the dictatorship; ever since, this is a fantastic roller coaster.
    I guess we'll eventually find the formula. This current ditch has been enough of a scare for people to seriously ponder about it all. Time will tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lderly-singles

If this happens they have noone to blame but themselves. They have a clear example set by successful countries like Canada as to allowing refugees and immigrants in for the betterment of society. I guess the question is whether Spain is an attractive destination given all the issues with the economy but they should at least try.
    I'm laughing so hard at this bullshit you just said. Yeah, because bringing in a different culture who thinks differently and is 100% different at the core is a GREAT WAY to be "successful". First, Canada has brought in VERY FEW and for good reason. You want to flood the West with the 3rd world because you are a SJW that has his head shoved up his ass and ignores the fact that multiculturalism does NOT work and only endangers the native population of said country. The west is under NO obligation to take in primitives that still live in the 7th century as a way to "fill in the holes". How about the government give incentive for people to have children instead of making it super expensive to have children but then again...that would make too much sense and the left can't have that can they?

Canada is a world leader in almost every worthwhile category or measure. Clearly our model is working while Spain's isn't.
    We shall see how letting in 100K's of uneducated people into a Western society will end up. Time will tell.